Health Research

blindboy's picture
blindboy started the topic in Monday, 14 Aug 2017 at 8:00pm

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 14 Aug 2017 at 8:04pm

From time to time I come across some interesting research on health that might interest some of you. I will post the info and links here.
For today, something that might cause a bit of concern. Marijuana associated with a three fold increase in death by high blood pressure. Read more here.
https://www.escardio.org/The-ESC/Press-Office/Press-releases/marijuana-a...

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 14 Aug 2017 at 8:11pm

......but some good news, depending on how closely related to rodents you feel, daily tomatoes reduce the incidence of skin cancer in mice. Bruschetta for breakfast anyone?
https://news.osu.edu/news/2017/07/13/tomato-skin-cancer/

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 16 Jan 2018 at 7:52pm

Antibiotic resistant bacteria more common in surfers!

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/news/research/title_631842_en.html

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 16 Jan 2018 at 7:52pm

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 28 Feb 2018 at 9:49pm

And more evidence that surfing is really bad for you. We need to let everyone know about this.

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/news/research/title_642400_en.html

brucecam50's picture
brucecam50's picture
brucecam50 Thursday, 1 Mar 2018 at 9:53am

Interesting study but pretty weak evidence due to the limitations of the available data. One of the study authors commented; “Our results suggest a possible risk of hypertension mortality from marijuana use. This is not surprising since marijuana is known to have a number of effects on the cardiovascular system. Marijuana stimulates the sympathetic nervous system, leading to increases in heart rate, blood pressure and oxygen demand. Emergency rooms have reported cases of angina and heart attacks after marijuana use.”

If this hypothesis were true then the effects should be much more pronounced in users of drugs that really do pump up the sympathetic nervous system much more that marijuana e.g. ecstasy, methamphetamine and other powerful sympathomimetics. Surely this data was available from NHANES as well?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 1 Mar 2018 at 4:13pm

I think that is already pretty well established. Usually known as the aging rock star sudden death syndrome!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 26 Mar 2018 at 1:20pm

Everything you need to know about diet, now and forever!

http://www.grubstreet.com/2018/03/ultimate-conversation-on-healthy-eatin...

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 17 Apr 2018 at 12:12pm

A new hypothesis for our mental health epidemic.

https://www.otago.ac.nz/news/news/otago683376.html

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Tuesday, 17 Apr 2018 at 5:40pm

Some nice articles BB. Meanwhile, Minister Hunt (I think) commenting on Greens announced policy of legalising marijuana, brought up the old nonsense that Marijuana is a 'gateway' drug, and claimed evidence in medical research.

If you have ever read a more meaningless term than 'gateway drug', feel free to let me know.

In other medical news, breathing has been shown to be a 'gateway habit' that leads to alcohol consumption and cigarette smoking.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 17 Apr 2018 at 7:08pm

Pot is definitely a gate way drug as is alcohol even tobacco.

Think about when you were young, what did you try first?

It's always one of these three things.

For me it was tobacco and then pot and then alcohol.

Tobacco easy to get and apart from head spins or smell hard to get busted by your parents and although you might have got your arse kicked it wasn't such a bad thing as legal and not mind altering/behaviour changing .

Then Pot kind of came easily after that as you had already smoked, you got affected but you were still in control you could go have a smoke with your mates after school or whatever then a few hours latter see your parents and it was all good.

Alcohol you generally only drank to get drunk and once drunk something that last quite a while so hard to hide from your parents plus the smell, so normally done when stayed overnight somewhere more a special occasion thing.

For me pot had the illegal element too, once you do one illegal drug, its like it doest matter if you do others.

After that (well for me and all my friends) it was like what else can we try, generally it was mushys east to get but with bigger effects, then Acid, then Speed, then Cocaine, for some anything and everything.

I think thats a gate way?

I don't think i would have considered trying other drugs if i hadn't tried pot first.

Pot also had a kind of cool paraphernalia aspect to it almost like a culture that kind of extended into other drug culture, i remember my friend having these magazines with all pot stuff and mushys and mind altering drug stuff, at a point it became like a hobbie..

All my friends that got heavily involved in doing all kinds of drugs the first drug they really got into was pot, none of my friends that were heavy drug users and experimented so heavily they ended up doing stints in psych wards were casual pot smokers they were all big pots smokers first, some didn't drink much but all smoked a lot of pot.

That said friends that were also heavy pot smokers never really got into other drugs...funny thing is now many of my friends that were also heavy pot smokers and could function without a few cones in the morning, many now don't even smoke anymore.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Tuesday, 17 Apr 2018 at 9:06pm

I have seen pot do a fair bit of damage and am no fan of it now, though I smoked my share back in the day. The problem with the gateway concept though is that it has less to do with the drug than its illegality. Drug dealers sell a variety of drugs, so it's easy for people to experiment with other drugs. They already have the contacts. Legalising it removes that contact with the rest of the illegal drug market. It's not a perfect solution by any means but it also reduces some of the hypocrisy. Middle class adults smoking at home don't get busted. It's the young and the poor that get caught. The only rational alternative is to get serious about criminalising it and put real penalties in place as they do in Japan. Not sure that anyone here wants that.

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Tuesday, 17 Apr 2018 at 10:54pm

https://www.portlincolntimes.com.au/story/5342908/extreme-measures-to-ke...

Hot off the press! You know what they say! Officials officially fuck the truth! Rewrite surfing history. Ban and delete any sceric of honesty! Never let the truth get in the way of bullshit!

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018 at 7:00am

He’s obviously not on Swellnet

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018 at 8:18am

More intermediate, but expert geek bullshit! A devastating reflex jab! Swillnuts forever! Google on united! We hate glutes! Bitcoin boogy blues! Fuck the truth, fuck capital management, fuck price... fuck twinnies! We love you expertly together bitcoin, please help us!!!

Bullshit forever! Swillnuts forever! Who needs glutes! Millipedes rule! Bullshit rules!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018 at 8:30am

Please Tell me that Uplift didn’t just update his Swellnet resume.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018 at 8:35am

It's Stockholm Syndrome. He's beholden to Swillnut, a prisoner, and yet his love for all of us is unyielding.

I mean, how many times has he returned?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018 at 8:51am

I don’t get it.

And it’s not like he needs the validation, check out his latest clipping for the scrapbook. He’s just gotten public approval from the 8th most vaunted columnist at the Port Lincoln bimonthly tribune !

I’m glad that article made the papers too. It might not have made the cut if the Port Lincoln Girl Scouts car wash fundraiser hadn’t gotten rained out over the weekend. That rain cloud sure did have a silver lining for the lucky burghers of PL.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018 at 10:30am

Good on you Mick. Feed him up with eggs while you're at it.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018 at 10:52am

@CryptoKnight,

Post deleted for naming people. You've just offered up yours, no-one went looking for it, so dont bother arguing the point.

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018 at 11:20am

Gary particularly enjoys the rapid decay from polite commentator to raving lunatic once someone triggers him.

Must be hard constantly trying to measure up to Gary, the Alpha-Rig and undisputed one-legged-squat champion of Swellnet.

Although, Uplift may have a new challenger for 'most banned / most returned' in BamBam, WoofWoof, W41, whatever. Imagine losing that title too!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018 at 11:33am

Anyway while I have your attention let me recommend the articles on diet and the related one on mental health. The diet piece is a very simple summation of current research and easy to put into practice......the second suggests that doing so will protect your mental health as well as your physical health...... and on that point give a thought to sponsoring the Swellnet team in the Lifeline event......you never know when you or your loved ones might need their support.

Bourneagin's picture
Bourneagin's picture
Bourneagin Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018 at 12:09pm

Amen .

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018 at 12:39pm

A name? I put one initial. But, in a nutshell never let the truth get in the way of a good, psycho, red mist fib, aye lill brokebackers/gazz’s! Fuck the truth, balled up millipedes for ever!

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018 at 1:02pm

plenty of research out there to support the benefits of heavy lifting. stronger is better.

BaSz's picture
BaSz's picture
BaSz Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018 at 1:13pm

It must be frustrating to not surf anymore and just pump weights in a gym everyday. Sounds like a dangerous combination for ones deteriorating mental health?

Larry Lee's picture
Larry Lee's picture
Larry Lee Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018 at 1:26pm

Again i totally concur Gary ......
Someones jealous that your getting all the attention and like lazarus they return time and time again.
Maybe they have realised that Time is in fact running out and they haven't left enough of a stamp on the surfing world . You know a stamp where they have never been mentioned by any other stalwart / peer of high repute as being any good .
It must really bit into ones mind that they have done little to be noticed and need an online audience .
BTW nice facey the other day , i didn't think you travelled much these days with all the waxings and spray tan schedules . I know you didn't see me though , you never do .............

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018 at 1:58pm

Don't worry Larry, Gary is always watching. xoxo

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018 at 3:36pm

Perhaps it could help brokeback chicken soufflé, aka southey, aka skinny, intimidated kid getting younger, aka Gary G, although he used a high chair to combat the pain of his famous, gluteless back injury, which stopped him from surfing blax? Although he then claimed he did/didn't/did/didn’t/did, in a nutshell. Maybe that oil, if there was a way to apply mega litres of it, could perhaps grow some real nuts on him to replace his swillnuts? Perhaps then he could forget the pain of endlessly shitting bricks on the cliff, at blax?

John Eyre's picture
John Eyre's picture
John Eyre Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018 at 5:00pm

Yawn ....

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Wednesday, 18 Apr 2018 at 11:46pm

Don’t yawn too hard, you might faint, or tear your back. Or neck. Or knees, or shoulders or hips. Or rotator cuff. Ad infinitum.

Here’s something that was actually known by some 40 odd years ago.

https://academic.oup.com/advances/advance-article-abstract/doi/10.1093/a...

BaSz's picture
BaSz's picture
BaSz Thursday, 19 Apr 2018 at 12:41am

Heard of jason genova the retarded bodybuilder?
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=151739393&pagenumber=1

BaSz's picture
BaSz's picture
BaSz Thursday, 19 Apr 2018 at 12:47am

Jason genova on youtube.
Jason earns his first arch-rival in Josh Foxx, who used to work at the Gold's Gym frequented by Genova. He constantly mocks Genova for all of his obvious deficiencies. The feud spans a solid year culminating in Josh making a mockumentary of Jason's "My Storie Part 1". Somewhat surprisingly, Josh Foxx receives an overwhelmingly negative response to this video, proving that Genova's Witnesses may enjoy poking fun at Jason, but deep down they are also protective of him from skinny haters like Josh Foxx. This is the beginning of the "no one is allowed to call Jason a retard except us" mentality adopted by his fans. (Video)

-Jason claims that he competed in a bodybuilding show and took 3rd place in it, and he shows off his 3rd place medal on video. However, one viewer claims to have checked the record of the bodybuilding show that was named, and didn't find Jason listed as one of the competitors. What's more, another viewer notices that Jason's medal does not actually say 3rd but rather '03, suggesting that it denotes the year 2003.

BaSz's picture
BaSz's picture
BaSz Thursday, 19 Apr 2018 at 1:00am

A video above is about retarded bodybuilders and article on jason genova...
https://amp.reddit.com/r/bodybuilding/comments/3t1e2g/man_with_down_synd...

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 19 Apr 2018 at 11:15am

Crypto, the link on protein is interesting but would seem to me to be a lesser problem than obesity in that age group. It is hard to imagine that people who are hugely overweight are protein deficient. The most likely hypothesis for the obesity epidemic is that the poor quality of food consumed by most people leaves them short of micronutrients and fibre. This stimulates further eating as the body tries to obtain the micronutrients it needs. The solution is to increase the intake of fresh vegetable products: nuts, legumes, fruits, seeds and vegetables themselves. If you make this about 80% of your diet you can eat meat, dairy, eggs etc to boost the protein as necessary.

Sprout's picture
Sprout's picture
Sprout Thursday, 19 Apr 2018 at 11:29am

Two people great at explaining the latest science in layman's terms.
https://nutritionfacts.org/
https://www.foundmyfitness.com/

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Thursday, 19 Apr 2018 at 11:34am

BB I think the issue is not only poor quality of the food but more so energy in does not equal energy out a Big Mac with Fries and a coke adds up to a whopping (excuse the pun) 1170 calories broken down 30g of protein, 141g carbs (60g sugar) 51g fat.
That one meal would take just over 2 hours at a good pace for a 85kg person to burn off that one meal

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Thursday, 19 Apr 2018 at 12:11pm

Blinde I train a lady who is one of only 5 women in the world to have completed a survival race, considered the toughest endurance event in the world. She placed 4th overall against all comers. Not any one can enter, you need to demonstrate success in other extreme style events. Nutrition is a vital component of her regime, and we need to constantly juggle it. Her training load would destroy most people, as she needs to mentally be able to run around 100kms, swim for hours, climb mountains, trees, carry difficult objects, for 48 hours non stop, whilst maintaining mental fitness, which is the factor which destroys many. She has totally changed her nutrition regime since starting training with me a few years ago, and her understanding of the importance of hormone profile has changed drastically for the better. We often joke about how people who exercise no where near her level, eat more than her and expect to feel great, and how shockingly low fitness and health levels have become accepted as balanced and normal. Even if we have her fuel/carb/fat levels too high she will gain fat, despite training for hours and hours daily. Her protein levels ( gotta love eggs) and demands on the other hand, constantly increase and benefit her.

I am training her in the morning, perhaps you’d like to join in, or offer some advice? Bring a vegetable or two? Unfortunately that eating idea in your article would fail miserably at sustaining a very fit person. These days very fit people are considered fanatics, as obesity and injuries becomes more and more normal and responsible. Meanwhile the health system is literally crumbling under the strain and humongous weight bearing.

Swillnuts ho, calling all millipedes!!!

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 19 Apr 2018 at 12:13pm

Agree, but the question is why do people feel the need to keep eating long after they have supplied themselves with enough energy? My hypothesis is that the foods they eat eg Maccas are deficient in micronutrients which their body craves as they are necessary for anything approaching optimal function. Watch the diet videos in the link Sprout put up. The one on things to eat every day is good on micronutrients.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Thursday, 19 Apr 2018 at 12:17pm

Fair enough but extreme fitness and the energy demands it creates are not necessarily the healthiest lifestyle for everyone. If you are suited to it OK but a lot of us aren't and I believe there is a body of literature showing extreme top level competitive athletes tend to die younger than the population average. I will see what I can find on that and post it.

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Thursday, 19 Apr 2018 at 12:21pm

Because they are addicted to eating, like some are addicted to gambling, drugs, alcohol, surfing, money, cosmetic surgery ad infinitum. Some additions are considered culturally normal, like grog, and television, and food. Conditioning and habit. ‘ ‘ ‘Don’t tell us we are fat, we are popular now, and we’ll put you in jail. Everyone is on our side now, even science, the weight of our voice is growing stronger by the day!’

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Thursday, 19 Apr 2018 at 12:23pm

Agreed and a discussion I relentlessly have with her. I have to go and train people.

Bourneagin's picture
Bourneagin's picture
Bourneagin Thursday, 19 Apr 2018 at 1:10pm

i'll add that the stress of competition or even just the training on these peoples bodies is what will shorten their lifespan not just their dietary intake .
But it seems that some are just addicted to their own importance , long after its faded . A bit like my memory or co ordination , as you get older you need to keep your gate closer and your memory even tighter .
Speaking of tighter , hows all this excess skin i'm running these days ..........

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Thursday, 19 Apr 2018 at 3:45pm

Never mind Bourneagin, at least you will always be a swillnut! And as your parents were presented with their new little bundle, thinking FFS, at least they had the foresight to give you a decent name. And although they prayed that that imitation name alone would work wonders, deep down they knew, they always knew that you were just a loser imposter, and were forever haunted by the thought, ‘why us, what the fuck did we ever do to be blessed with this fucking living, ludicrous useless debacle’.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Thursday, 19 Apr 2018 at 5:17pm

obesity is an eating disorder. addiction to high caloric foods. dopamine release. brain gets rewired. i wouldnt doubt that carrying excessive fat year after year causes hormone changes too. being temporarily fat is ok,.....mammals are designed to overeat when food is available.

CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight's picture
CryptoKnight Thursday, 19 Apr 2018 at 6:28pm

Yes, and it gets worse. Gargantuan blobs of blubber get awards and money and become heroes and celebrities for demonstrating amazing powers and abilities, when they bravely and heroicly become semi obese. Even science loves them! To death.

upnorth's picture
upnorth's picture
upnorth Thursday, 19 Apr 2018 at 7:22pm

Diet goes a long way toward ancient cultures like the Tarahumara and Kalahari Desert Bushmen being able run 100's of k's at a stint, traditionally to persistence hunt. The Tarahumara drink corn beer a run (low alcohol and packed with slow release energy) and eat small amounts of pinole which is enough to power them for hours and hours of effort.
Its crazy think that in the space of a couple of hundred years humans have gone from having that ability honed over millennia to not being able to run 100 feet. Natural selection?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Thursday, 19 Apr 2018 at 10:08pm

Up north, I learnt about those tribesmen at school. Fascinating what they were capable of.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Friday, 20 Apr 2018 at 7:07am

Speaking of natural selection and super human feats, today a group of researchers have declared the Bajau ethnic group are able to hold their breath for so long underwater not due to practice, but to evolution. They have much larger spleens than people outside their ethnic group.

It makes me wonder what other human abilities we've had that have disappeared through the breakdown of traditional societies.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Friday, 20 Apr 2018 at 10:33am

Natural selection can act rapidly on isolated populations to produce characteristics that suit them to their environment. The genetics necessary for the kind of physical feats mentioned probably only ever existed within those populations. Some early H.sapiens in Africa were exhaustion hunters and would have possessed long distance running capabilities but as populations moved into other environments and the selective pressure for those characteristics was removed the genes responsible would have been continuously diluted in the gene pool. Evolution is not a morality tale, it's just what happened! Well that's my take on it.