House prices

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Friday, 9 Dec 2016 at 10:27am

House prices - going to go up , down or sideways ?

Opinions and anecdotal stories if you could.

Cheers

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 31 Jul 2021 at 7:34pm

Coming soon to a town near you.
Bend over and take it.

image hosting

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Saturday, 31 Jul 2021 at 7:38pm

I just vomited in my own mouth. Disgusting!! At least show these photos after Big Dog goes to bed Andy M!! Fark.

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Saturday, 31 Jul 2021 at 7:42pm

Hemsworth Estate ?
Attract the MILF, Divorcee, single mum market......
Sounds regal, but it's really Centerlink-ish......And the child support payments will help make ends meet....

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 31 Jul 2021 at 7:44pm

Byron is fucked, I just wish we could build a wall around it.
As Freeride mentioned elsewhere, Lennox and Ballina are going absolutely nuts.
Money just getting fucking firehosed in.

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Saturday, 31 Jul 2021 at 7:51pm

Gotta say AndyM........Just saw that picture you posted.....
Suddenly Vietnam feels very normal.............
What has become of my country......And I don't mean fashion......

Sprout's picture
Sprout's picture
Sprout Saturday, 31 Jul 2021 at 7:59pm
AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 31 Jul 2021 at 8:16pm

You got it Megzee, seems like the drive for shallow gentrification will be never ending.

And narcissism and commodifying the self are only in their infancy in this country.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 31 Jul 2021 at 8:15pm

Not particularly surprising that he got outbid - clearly there are plenty of people around with as much, if not more money than Hemsworth.
Lennox is well and truly gone in a real estate sense, the hope is that all these cashed-up crew aren't a factor with regards to surf.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Saturday, 31 Jul 2021 at 8:18pm

I do feel for ya's there Andy. It's the sole reason i left that coast. Alot of friends there still stuck with the changes. It really is a beautiful place with amazing waves. Especially all the little beaches in between. Would hate to see that lost and for the record, not at all keen to see the WSL have a connest there. Just having some fun but i'm glad that the local crew stood up and batted it out of over the stands. Hopefully that's where it stays.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 31 Jul 2021 at 8:58pm

Good on ya BD.
I'm not a long term local here but I still hate seeing what's happening.
Saw it 20-25 years ago in a place that I had a much longer term relationship with and it was pretty heartbreaking.
Like I've always said, in modern times you don't need the police or the military to move on the undesirables, now all you need are a few legislative changes to enact some economic cleansing.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 31 Jul 2021 at 11:44pm

"Those same locals also slammed the property as being like a suburban shopping centre, a refurbished RSL club and even a regional airport terminal."

People can be so unkind.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 6:34am

Well ive been running from 'progress' ....funny name that.......quite the opposite really ....since 89...left lenno.....getting too crowded and a round about.....angas was great for 9 years after that but another round about was built so now further south ..........and the whole coast is just roundabouts as far as i can see........given up running......bend over and take it ......the land of roundabouts.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 6:36am

For the life of me, I can't get my head around the pure capricious greed of the celebrity/wealthy.

"Lets bulldoze some rainforest to build a horrible, gaudy mansion that could house a hundred people"

"actually, this is shit, lets sell and move somewhere else".

The mind boggles at being able to treat a 30 million dollar home like an empty chip packet.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 6:38am

30 million loose change for some...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 6:51am

For quite a few people relative to net worth, a $30 million house is like the value of a surfboard to us.

Dx3's picture
Dx3's picture
Dx3 Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 8:43am

Yeh if Hemsworth has built that monstrosity and is gonna sell up and move on, that’s fucked. Byron is so cooked, sad to see, was a great place 20+ years ago.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 9:10am

Freeride-A lot of celebrities build these unbelievably massive mansions as it’s their best option to store and create wealth tax free. No capital gains on a huge investment palace if you live in it for a year. Thor bulldozed that rainforest to lessen his taxable income…..sweet!

“You’re Thor? I can hardly pith!”

Boom tish.

geek's picture
geek's picture
geek Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 9:22am
freeride76 wrote:

For the life of me, I can't get my head around the pure capricious greed of the celebrity/wealthy.

"Lets bulldoze some rainforest to build a horrible, gaudy mansion that could house a hundred people"

"actually, this is shit, lets sell and move somewhere else".

The mind boggles at being able to treat a 30 million dollar home like an empty chip packet.

According to the article above they bought the original block for $7m and the house was built for $10m. That's a $13m pay day if they can sell for $30m.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 9:34am

Pretty sure Thor made 75 million USD in 2019 alone from movies.

This is not a man who needs an extra 13 million.

philosurphizingkerching's picture
philosurphizingkerching's picture
philosurphizing... Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 9:39am

If you think the northern rivers is crowded now, imagine what it will be like if the expansion of the Rocky Creek dam at Dunoon gets the go ahead.
The dam currently covers 31 square kilometers and the plan is to expand to 50 square k's.
Expanded dam = thousands of housing estates creeping inland = more developer greed.

Dx3's picture
Dx3's picture
Dx3 Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 12:58pm

Hemsworth is a keen surfer too. Deserves to be snaked and dropped in on in the water for fucking up the local area.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 1:18pm

...wherever he is...

seen him hanging in the warungs in bali, well, what used to be warungs, it was pretty upmarket. I didn't know who is was, even after a mate pointed him out, the ladies looked super glam though...

wonder where you possibly move to from byron?

bali? ...canggu?

wonder if its the hostility around town making their decision?

personally, I'd keep the property, any property near byron is a dream, maybe keep it as a little weekender...

love the descriptions of the mansion, airport terminal etc. ...certainly does look like he just transplanted ballina rsl to the hills...

maybe he'll buy ballina rsl, feel right at home... just not as chic..

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 1:40pm

Heard a rumour that Thor is negotiating to buy the headland at Angourie. Plans to pave half as car park with the rest a cypress pine plantation. Apparently he’s greasing palms seeking permission for an industrial scale piggery on the back beach.*

*Jokes Thor…..please don’t sue me.

Maybe he’s just had a gut full of Byron traffic and crowds like any normal person would? Just cause you’re famous doesn’t make a 45 minute run to the supermarket, which is only 3 kms away, any more enjoyable. You reckon Thor does regular person stuff or would he get too hassled by freaks?

Vic Local's picture
Vic Local's picture
Vic Local Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 1:44pm

When I was working in the ski industry 25 years ago, I lived in a town that was having the same discussions Byron Bay is having now.
The billionaires were pushing out the millionaires. Employers were struggling to find enough staff because very few front line workers could afford the rent, despite pay rates double the minimum wage. It got so bad, well-paid doctors and allied health professionals needed to get subsidised housing just to move to town. Teachers survived on generous gifts from their pupils' parents.
Byron will cease to function as a town unless some serious changes are made to keep regular people living there. It needs public housing and/or a low cost transport system to bring workers in from outside of town. The worst thing is, the new yuppies in Byron will be the loudest critics of 1. public housing. 2. increased rates to pay for it and 3. The shitty service they get for $6 coffees if 1 or 2 don't happen.
Pre-covid, I'd head to Byron about 2-3 times a year for work. That town had major problems back then and Covid has magnified them significantly.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 1:57pm

Thor was checking the surf the other day beside me.

I didn't recognise him.....never watched a Marvel movie.

old mate parked beside me told me after they drove off.

doubt he does the grocery shopping though.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 2:08pm

Re. Thor. Bit of toxic envy on display here. Pile on the guy for problems he didn't create and can't solve. He probably wants to leave Byron because ... idiots.
Dx3, you talk tough. Thor is a big fucker and fit too, probably done some fight training Doubt many guys would try to burn him, least of all you.

Dx3's picture
Dx3's picture
Dx3 Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 2:30pm

Yeh fair enough Adam he’s probably a decent bloke, I’m just saying if he was only planning on sticking round for a couple of years he didn’t need to build that monstrosity of a house.

I wouldnt be too stressed about him giving me a clip, be a good story to tell. He’d probably end up in more strife if someone spotted him belting a surfer though, media would lap that shit up.

Dx3's picture
Dx3's picture
Dx3 Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 2:40pm

Anyway reading that article about him selling his place highlights the bigger issue at play, US celebs that come and go freely into this country, quarantine where they want in their own place they rent out, whilst actual aussies or people with parents overseas that can’t get into the country, or aussies that can’t leave to visit family. As always money talks and nothing else matters, not even health if you’ve got enough cash.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 2:46pm

No one has got anyone else to blame if they’re not a billionaire. If the youth didn’t keep buying smashed avo toast they’d all be rubbing shoulders with Twiggy and Gina by now. Thor wouldn’t get a look in at Byron if the locals weren’t wasting their minimum wages on surfboard wax.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 2:49pm

could be envy...

could be just plain old disgust...

that our leaders have let the situation get to this, on so many fronts... which isn't at thor...

that's more disappointment

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 3:07pm

They want to promote Noosa to attract tourists…..they got it!

https://9now.nine.com.au/a-current-affair/queensland-residents-claim-noo...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 3:07pm
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 3:20pm

A bit more compassion for Thor here - when it's in the surf or around it, the only things that matters are how you surf, if you behave within commonly held rules, and how you carry yourself with regard to the others there, hopefully with a bit of the Aloha going on. Surf the great equaliser for everyone no matter how much success or lack thereof, eg doctors and stoners can have a wave together and get on great, if they are good surfers/people.

The other part of the Byron story that gets to me is the single mums with kids in cars/homeless. Children are a blessing and I'd want the best for them. Heartbreaking.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 3:31pm

Floating favellas - love it

Also it's the nautical "get off my lawn" moment of 2021

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 3:29pm

If you want a guy to blame for all this shit, look no further than Reserve Bank Governor Phil Lowe.
Edit; throw Peter Costello on that bonfire too.

Spuddups's picture
Spuddups's picture
Spuddups Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 3:22pm
Blowin wrote:

No one has got anyone else to blame if they’re not a billionaire. If the youth didn’t keep buying smashed avo toast they’d all be rubbing shoulders with Twiggy and Gina by now. Thor wouldn’t get a look in at Byron if the locals weren’t wasting their minimum wages on surfboard wax.

Controversial post Blowin. I like it.

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 3:35pm

"https://www.theage.com.au/national/15-000-rich-foreigners-given-visas-to...

Kaching - they need a house once here."

I gotta say, that money is small time in the bigger context, for small reward (if any) for oz...

geez, even indonssia has tightened up their dodgy backdoors for buying residency, ...from memory, in indo, I think you soon have to invest 25 b rupiah to open a business, and of that requirement, land and buildings are not included!!

seems oz is selling itself short...

morrison the marketer... can't wait to see him explain this one

a bit rich labor man scoring points, when they were gonna allow the importation of chinese grandmas - which would have also been a burden on medicare and services etc. - for virtually zero investment

this could actually be quite a political move in disguise

I don't really want to draw attention to it, but I think it was you vj that hinted citizens from a certain country under duress could be slipping in the back door...

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 3:33pm

can we throw rudd, gillard, abbott, turdball, and morrison on the fire too?

because they've all played a part in it

some in a more nauseating manner than others...

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 3:36pm

3 words " Uncle Tom's Pies"
Although not a Byron glamour location, it was the best reason to visit and leave.
Steak & Mushy followed by apple pie and cream....
Also had some great wedges [ not potatoe] at Tallow's in the day......

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 3:42pm

can't remember which country at present, there's plenty under duress. The QLD deputy premier mentioned that ABS data on who is coming in wouldn't be published after July - note in July on that numbers thread the last number was 141K coming in, substantially up

Syp it's richies or Chinese grandmas, that's your choice when you vote - when preferences are counted. C'mon Sustainable Australia, where are you?

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 3:56pm

Just had a single mum and her three kids here in tears.

they just got booted from their place and needed a home for their duck.

which we rehomed.

Luckily she has a boyfriend in Ocean shores who can temporarily home her.

Kids pulled out of school etc etc.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 4:24pm

What’s the deal there, Freeride?

Her kids too high and mighty to shine shoes and sweep chimneys?

The duck has no excuse either. It could be turning a sweet dollar…duck eggs are coming back into fashion at the right type of places!

There’s no reason everyone can’t be a billionaire if they just show a bit of self discipline.

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 4:20pm

Hey Freeride....sad to read your post mate...I trust she and the kids will be ok thanks to knowing you.
Certainly no disrespect, but the 'Single Mum' epidemic has infiltrated every part of Australia.......for a couple of decades now, and living in an area that changes from wholesome, healthy and a great place to raise a family, to yuppie, wank, seemingly overnight, overpriced living can take it's toll on any family.

Touchy subject mate, and there might be some fine men on here who have been on the receiving end of loosing everything.......
Side note; NSW Family and Community Services have a lot to answer for..

donweather's picture
donweather's picture
donweather Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 4:29pm
megzee wrote:

Hey Freeride....sad to read your post mate...I trust she and the kids will be ok thanks to knowing you.
Certainly no disrespect, but the 'Single Mum' epidemic has infiltrated every part of Australia.......for a couple of decades now, and living in an area that changes from wholesome, healthy and a great place to raise a family, to yuppie, wank, seemingly overnight, overpriced living can take it's toll on any family.

Touchy subject mate, and there might be some fine men on here who have been on the receiving end of loosing everything.......
Side note; NSW Family and Community Services have a lot to answer for..

I’m one of those fine men. And I can tell you now that my ex wife is still miles in front of me thanks to this housing boom (she got the house). I’m still playing catch up and long way behind her that’s for sure.

megzee's picture
megzee's picture
megzee Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 4:35pm

Donweather.....Hang in there mate.......
In the area [ the most important of all] of self respect, I am sure you are miles ahead.......
I didn't write my little spiel from an inexperienced viewpoint DW...

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 4:40pm

“ I’m still playing catch up and long way behind her that’s for sure.”
Dunno if I’m out of line but wouldn’t it be good if as a culture we didn’t have to see this whole thing as a race.

H2O's picture
H2O's picture
H2O Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 4:59pm

Great name for a party VJ -now for some platform suggestions

tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter's picture
tubeshooter Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 5:18pm

Sucked in to the people trying to develop an ex National Park property next door to me. I overheard one of the new owners arguing with a flora /fauna ecologist on Friday about which trees they can remove.
"what's so special about that tree?" the owner asked loudly of a large red gum in a rather aggravated tone .
Thankfully ,old mate with the clip board quietly and calmly pointed his finger skyward and tried to educated this suburbanite/city carnt on how the bush works. Sadly it seemed to fall on deaf ears and they weren't happy when that and several other trees they assumed could be cleared, were tagged no go .
I don't understand how some of the people, who bought up larger blocks of uncleared properties in bushland , want to mow the whole thing down and build some shitty looking trendy cubed structure, just to overlook a crappy manicured ,landcaped block with security gates.
A few people that bought vacant land here have tried to keep as many trees as they possibly can and have designed some really cool houses that somewhat blend in with environment. But they are in the minority. And to those people , thank you . To the slash and burn crew , faark you.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 5:48pm

My next door neighbours - nice people- are very big on planting natives to the point that they make sly little jabs about some of the exotics in our yard. I’ll wait till the day, if it comes, to quietly mention that the large gumtree they removed, just to improve their water views, was home to a dozen incredibly cute sugar gliders which used to fly from tree to tree purely for fun and which we could hand feed. Haven’t seen the sugar gliders since the whole tree was stuffed into a chipper. Im sure they’re fine though…..

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Sunday, 1 Aug 2021 at 6:21pm

Back when i was surfcoaching in Byron, i gave that chef Heston Blumenthal a couple of lessons. He was a nice fella. Anyway, he wanted me to pick him up from Raes at Wategos, that fucken horrible facade for all things indulgent of the human spirit. It was awesome though for me.
I had a shitty econovan with holes and rust dripping down the side. It was a really hot day. I pulled up into the Raes carpark, ...chug chug chug....got out to all the disgusted stares of the 'patrons' as my heapa dripped oil and radiator fluid onto their driveway. I got out just in my boardies and no shoes with the arse hanging out of my boardies, saw Heston sitting in the al fresco section. He waved me over to join him. I could already feel the stares so instead of walking through the doorway as per normal, i walked over to the wall, climbed over, plonked myself in a seat and sat there flying the flag for everyone that's been fucked over by Byron's elite. I knew there was nothing the staff were going to say to me, the last thing they'd want to do was get Heston offside. I definitely milked it knowing i'd never get to do this again. He bought me a couple of Coopers Paleys and then 'passed on' a little bit of Raes towels and merchandise to me as well as a handy tip. Like i said, good bloke. Was funny watching crew falling over themselves trying to impress him. I had no idea who he was. I reckon this situation could be relayed many times by different crew in Byron to different celebrities. But like VL said, the Billionaires are pushing out the Millionaires now. Fuck it was funny driving him and his chick around Byron in my overheating Econovan. For them, it was an experience they'd never get. Isn't that funny. The wealthy/elite want what we have yet we don't want what they have, we just want to go surfing but are struggling to make that happen in places like Byron because of them!!