Advice on Sunscreen

morg's picture
morg started the topic in Sunday, 12 Jun 2016 at 9:31am

All the good sunscreens claim to be SFP50+ and 4 hours water resistant. As we know there all pretty good, but some are better than others. So if you going to Indo which sunscreen do you take?

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Sunday, 12 Jun 2016 at 10:53am

this is the best i've found. it's so thick and heavy it just doesn't come off....reminds me of axle grease.

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Sunday, 12 Jun 2016 at 10:53am

prothero's picture
prothero's picture
prothero Sunday, 12 Jun 2016 at 11:48am

yeh that stuff stays on 4 a long time....your face maintains a white metallic sheen for a good while after your surf...Zinc

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Sunday, 12 Jun 2016 at 1:32pm

This is not an endorsement but I've been using the 'Headhunter' brand for years now. Really good and lasts for ages in the water.

Good old stock standard zinc cream for my lips for double protection as well.

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Monday, 13 Jun 2016 at 9:47am

I use Island Tribe sunscreen found it to be fantastic and doesn't sting the eyes

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 13 Jun 2016 at 10:02am

Another +  for Island Tribe, not oily, not thick, just perfect. Yes no stinging of eyes either.

mrmik's picture
mrmik's picture
mrmik Monday, 13 Jun 2016 at 9:46pm

Consider that you wash off the majority of the sunscreen into the ocean every time you enter.
The effects of some of the chemicals is not harmless, to say the least.

http://www.treehugger.com/ocean-conservation/sunscreen-damages-marine-li...
https://www.mysciencework.com/omniscience/sunscreen-while-protecting-ski...
https://prezi.com/chfq5iriypsi/the-effects-of-sunscreen-solution-on-phyt...

'Sun Mud' is the only sun screen I have found so far that makes your hands stick to the board rather than making it slippery. It may have less than 30+ SPF, no indication of it on the can. Contains zink, beeswax and cacao IIRC. Have not been able to buy it recently, only place I ever found it was at The Boardroom in Miami (Gold Coast, Oz).

mrmik's picture
mrmik's picture
mrmik Monday, 13 Jun 2016 at 10:08pm

Found an online link (and ordered some) for the SunMud: http://sunmud.com/#shop

The other sunscreen I use is Vertra. I have never used the cream,only the stick. Like SunMud, it is expensive for the amount you get, but this stuff sticks like nothing else I have tried. After several hours of surfing you will still find it difficult to remove the remnants completely from your face. A PITA to get off. Big brown stains on your towels, and then you still look like you are wearing make up until you scrub some more. But at least it does not make your teeth look yellow like the white titanium based creams. The stains on the towels come off in the wash.

The main sun screen I use is physical barriers: A 1mm superstretch suit and a Gath helmet with flip visor. That way, the eyes are protected, too.

mrmik's picture
mrmik's picture
mrmik Thursday, 16 Jun 2016 at 10:03pm

Unfortunately, SunMud refunded my payment (well, unfortunately when compared to the desired outcome of sending me SunMud) and the email bounces. Looks to me like they have stopped production. I would be very happy to be proven wrong.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 8:47am

I've been using Key Sun Clear Zinke SPF 50+ for my shining noggin, and it works really well.

$25 for the 500g pump pack from the local chemist, which should last for ages.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 8:51am
mrmik wrote:

Unfortunately, SunMud refunded my payment (well, unfortunately when compared to the desired outcome of sending me SunMud) and the email bounces. Looks to me like they have stopped production. I would be very happy to be proven wrong.

Seems you're right. According to SunMud's Instagram page:

"With a tinge of sadness we are putting our sun mud zinc to bed. We are super proud of our zinc and our sun mud brand however an outside trademarking issue has left us no option. It's not in our nature to battle it out in the courts."

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Friday, 17 Jun 2016 at 9:10am

+1 for invisible zinc.. don't look like a ghost face out in the lineup( depending how tanned you are!)

theween's picture
theween's picture
theween Saturday, 18 Jun 2016 at 8:07am

Wear a hat!

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Saturday, 18 Jun 2016 at 9:37am

"Despite a growing awareness of the dangers of exposure to the sun’s ultraviolet radiation, and a multi-billion dollar sunscreen industry, melanoma rates have tripled over the past three decades."

Some good info here:

https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/report/executive-summary/

NOTE:

"EWG remains concerned that a common sunscreen additive, a form of vitamin A called retinyl palmitate, can harm skin. Government test data shows more skin tumors and lesions on animals treated with this ingredient and exposed to sunlight."

and...

"Oxybenzone is a common UV filter in sunscreen. It is a hormone disruptor and allergen. Sampling by the Centers for Disease Control and Protection has detected it in the urine of 97 percent of Americans. Despite emerging concerns, the sunscreen industry continues to rely heavily on oxybenzone as an active ingredient: it was in 70 percent of the non-mineral sunscreens we evaluated for this year’s guide. "

Their list of the "best" beach and sports sunscreens, here:

https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/best-sunscreens/best-beach-sport-sunscreens/

mrmik's picture
mrmik's picture
mrmik Saturday, 18 Jun 2016 at 9:43am

The very best adhesion to skin and consequent sun protection I have found is Vertra. I have only tried the small stick, not the lotion or whatever else they sell. http://vertra.com.au/product.html
The face stick is so sticky that you will have problems getting it off after several hours of surfing. It does not make your teeth look yellow (due to contrast with the white from pale zink or titanium products).
It's expensive.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Sunday, 19 Jun 2016 at 12:31pm

after a few weeks in the tropics without suncreen you dont really get burnt just brown so i dont use it. then when you go to jakarta the ladies think you're sexy and compete over you.
Plus who knows what those chemicals are doing.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 19 Jun 2016 at 5:21pm

That expensive big brand chick foundation shit in a stick is easily the best stuff works and last and is not greasy great for face protection, but it's damn expensive even if bought online from OS and you go through it quick.

Tried so many other brands of sun cream imo all pretty similar, zinc works good but greasy and hard to get off after a surf, only tried the cheaper invisible zinc and it was far from invisible.

I'm generally not fussy and going to sound like a bit of a pussy, but in Indo I do hate having clogged up pours when I'm sweating my ring off, So I swallow my pride and take along a chick facial scrub to clean areas at night that I put sun cream/zinc on during the day, works a treat.

cd's picture
cd's picture
cd Sunday, 19 Jun 2016 at 7:41pm

I use banana boat and then invisible zinc on top of that for the face and head. just banana boat for arms shoulders etc. works well. I find using some form of suntan lotion prior to putting on zinc means it wipes off easily after the surf.

rabbit_warren's picture
rabbit_warren's picture
rabbit_warren Sunday, 19 Jun 2016 at 9:17pm

"Wear a hat"...??

Damn if hat wearers are either sneaky, snakey, ninja wave warriors OR total bloody tool kooks.
Work out who you want to be and who you really are!!

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Wednesday, 25 Jul 2018 at 10:41am

SEAGULL MILK is 'World's First!'(100% natural NON SLIP SUNSCREEN)
Sunscreen is designed by Gold Coast grom Josh Apitz.

Crowd Funded (Sunscreen Orders delivery by Summer)
Start Up Grom investor sits on $4,000 (89 backers) needs ($30,000) 9 days to go...

Sunscreen Price + Description...
*50+ (100ml) = $19.95 + Skintone Zinc $ ? (10% proceeds go to OZ beach Cleanup)
*100% natural
*100% Oz made/Owned
*100% Mineral Based
*No Chems / Parabens / Oxybenzone
*Won't sting eyes
*Vegan Friendly
*Reef Friendly

Sunscreen is endorsed by Pro Surfers/Photographers
*Conner O'Leary
*Bronte Macaulay
*Peter 'Joli' Wilson (Surf Photographer)

As a Gold Coaster I'm simply informing the many Swellnet Boardriders of like surf aids.
Truly I've never met Josh but I wish the local lad well. (His aim is true... re: His Dad+Pops)

georgehayden's picture
georgehayden's picture
georgehayden Monday, 13 Aug 2018 at 7:36pm

As per my experience, I would recommend Proderme Anti Tanning Sunscreen Gel. It the best sunscreen with SPF 40 and does not leave a greasy, oily feeling on your skin. Plus it is non-irritant as well as water resistant. You can buy it here http://amzn.in/chCxc2p