Indo Surf Destination Advice for a Couple -1 week only

rinlow75's picture
rinlow75 started the topic in Wednesday, 18 May 2016 at 3:32am

My wife and I are going to Raja Ampat (West Papua-Indonesia) for a diving trip in mid-october. We are flying in and out of Jakarta and will have exactly 7 days free to visit a surf destination before we head to Raja. My wife is not a surfer, but is pretty patient and is open to a surf destination as long as the accomodations are halfway decent and there are some nice beaches/snorkeling options. We've already been to Bali, Lombok, and the Mentawais so will probably avoid those destinations.

Anyone have any advice on a decent surf destination that is a relatively easy flight and drive ( less than a day traveling each way) in and out of Jakarta? I'm open to islands off of Nias, Sumatra, or in Java wherever there might be decent surf and accomodations that would appeal to a couple. Any other options? Most boat trips are 10-11 days so that's not really an option.

I've been looking at Simuleule, Aura Surf Resort, Asu (Nias), but I'm not sure those would be great for couples.

Also been looking at Java -Cimaja, East Java ( East Java – Istana Ombak Resort near Wave Palace). I'm open to any/all options!

Any thoughts or recommendations for areas to check out?

Thanks!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 20 May 2016 at 5:47pm

Istana Ombak.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 20 May 2016 at 7:14pm

7 days isn't much you are going to pretty much burn a day each way to anywhere even going to East Java so really only 5 days of surfing or relaxing or exploring.

Cimaja isn't the best surf destination in Indo, but it does suit couples there is places there that will keep your missus happy hotel with pool etc and you can get there fairly quick straight off the plane into a car still a bit of a drive but no waiting for flights etc that can eat up time especially when delayed.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 20 May 2016 at 8:49pm

Istana Ombak is 4 hrs from airport so not exactly easy to get to, plus if there's any hint of swell it's not good for snorkelling as the bay gets rippy. good spear fishing though! So I wouldn't recommend that.
Good exploring though if you hire a scooter so that could be fun for a couple

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 20 May 2016 at 8:54pm

Nusa Lembongan is hard to beat I reckon when it comes to hanging out with a chick in indo

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 20 May 2016 at 10:14pm
goofyfoot wrote:

Istana Ombak is 4 hrs from airport so not exactly easy to get to, plus if there's any hint of swell it's not good for snorkelling as the bay gets rippy. good spear fishing though! So I wouldn't recommend that.

Goofy, is Istana Ombak 4 hours drive from Jakarta?

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 20 May 2016 at 10:21pm

Anyone got any thoughts on Ombak Tujuh?

Rinlow, if you can get up to Pulau Wayag to the north of Raja Ampat you'll be blown away.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 20 May 2016 at 10:25pm
AndyM wrote:
goofyfoot wrote:

Goofy, is Istana Ombak 4 hours drive from Jakarta?

4hrs from Yogyakarta

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 20 May 2016 at 10:38pm

That makes sense.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 20 May 2016 at 10:41pm

Havent been to Ombak tujuh, but would be keen to hear others experiences

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 20 May 2016 at 10:59pm

Looks like it gets big and heavy.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Friday, 20 May 2016 at 11:16pm

It does AndyM

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Friday, 20 May 2016 at 11:17pm

4 hours from Jog, about the same time to get to Cimaja from Jakarta on a good day...LOL

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Friday, 20 May 2016 at 11:20pm

Hey Goofyfoot, i haven't been to Nusa Lembongan for gee 25years+, how's the surf crowds these days there? Any recommendations where to stay? Thanks

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Friday, 20 May 2016 at 11:38pm

Seaslug I was at Lembongan two years ago, it was crowded and really cut-throat. Got way more waves on the Bukit. Still beautiful though.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Friday, 20 May 2016 at 11:57pm

Geez that's saying sometime, thanks Andy.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 21 May 2016 at 10:07am

Can you recommend Ombak Tujuh for a few weeks Slug?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 21 May 2016 at 10:25am
AndyM wrote:

Can you recommend Ombak Tujuh for a few weeks Slug?

I think you have to stay at turtles and go to o.t from there. I dont think you can actually stay right where the wave is

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 21 May 2016 at 10:25am
seaslug wrote:

4 hours from Jog, about the same time to get to Cimaja from Jakarta on a good day...LOL

True but as soon as you to get off the plane grab your bags/board you can start the clock ticking.

Go somewhere else from Jakarta and you are adding in more time, need the flight to line up so might have to wait a few hours, flights can often be delayed even hours especially in the arvo, then the flight is about an hour if to Joja, then you have a four hour drive, so in reality it could stretch out to eight hours.

I normally allow for the worse case scenario because it often does happen, if you are planning for a clock like precision schedule in Indo you will only end up disappointed.

Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy's picture
Jamyardy Saturday, 21 May 2016 at 11:46am

I'd agree with turtles as well, crystal clear water and a great fun wave. Not sure how it is now but you could tag with the govt official (there for protection) and watch the turtles lay the eggs at night. When I was at Cimaja the water was brown, so no good for snorkeling, but maybe it was a bad time of year/season. Travel time is probably similar driving to turtles from Jakarta as it is flying/driving to Istana from Jakarta maybe ??? If your looking at the islands off Sumatra, wouldn't you be looking at two flights from Jakarta ? Anyway good luck on your chosen destination Rinlow.

rinlow75's picture
rinlow75's picture
rinlow75 Saturday, 21 May 2016 at 1:43pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

7 days isn't much you are going to pretty much burn a day each way to anywhere even going to East Java so really only 5 days of surfing or relaxing or exploring.

Cimaja isn't the best surf destination in Indo, but it does suit couples there is places there that will keep your missus happy hotel with pool etc and you can get there fairly quick straight off the plane into a car still a bit of a drive but no waiting for flights etc that can eat up time especially when delayed.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, really only 5 days unfortunately... Will probably pass on Cimaja then

rinlow75's picture
rinlow75's picture
rinlow75 Saturday, 21 May 2016 at 1:44pm
AndyM wrote:

Rinlow, if you can get up to Pulau Wayag to the north of Raja Ampat you'll be blown away.

Thanks! I'm looking up Pulau Wayag for sure. Have you been? Diving or surf? Would assume diving..

rinlow75's picture
rinlow75's picture
rinlow75 Saturday, 21 May 2016 at 1:48pm
Jamyardy wrote:

I'd agree with turtles as well, crystal clear water and a great fun wave. Not sure how it is now but you could tag with the govt official (there for protection) and watch the turtles lay the eggs at night. When I was at Cimaja the water was brown, so no good for snorkeling, but maybe it was a bad time of year/season. Travel time is probably similar driving to turtles from Jakarta as it is flying/driving to Istana from Jakarta maybe ??? If your looking at the islands off Sumatra, wouldn't you be looking at two flights from Jakarta ? Anyway good luck on your chosen destination Rinlow.

Thanks! I really appreciate the insight. Will check turtles!

rinlow75's picture
rinlow75's picture
rinlow75 Saturday, 21 May 2016 at 1:51pm
goofyfoot wrote:

Nusa Lembongan is hard to beat I reckon when it comes to hanging out with a chick in indo

Thanks. Yeah, I've heard its fun. Decent diving and surf as well. My buddy was there recently so I'll get some more details from him.

rinlow75's picture
rinlow75's picture
rinlow75 Saturday, 21 May 2016 at 1:51pm
goofyfoot wrote:

Got it, thanks

Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ... Saturday, 21 May 2016 at 2:55pm

And this is why we need a wave pool in every major city around the world.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 21 May 2016 at 3:28pm
rinlow75 wrote:
AndyM wrote:

Thanks! I'm looking up Pulau Wayag for sure. Have you been? Diving or surf? Would assume diving..

Was working on a charter boat that did a trip there (dive charter), unfortunately I didn't get in the water. Incredible place and you can go inside the island into a lagoon and anchor in the calmest most scenic place you've ever seen. From memory there's bit of water moving around between tides but if you're a confident diver and you've got a willing guide there'll be some amazing terrain especially on that east and N/E weather sides.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Saturday, 21 May 2016 at 3:29pm

Yeah poor form passing on info of places you haven't been ? If your taking your missus to West Papua , you may as well fly in through southern Pi's .

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Saturday, 21 May 2016 at 5:46pm

You can get really lucky (or more commonly unlucky) going to Istana Ombak. It's not much of a fun place when the swell is big, and you could turn up there at the same time as 15 pros and not get many waves. Conversely you could get there just as everyone leaves and have 2-3 foot waves to yourself in a beautiful spot. I wouldn't completely laugh off a trip to the Bukit if you just have five days up your sleeves, despite the crowds one or two long lefts at Ulus is still magic. I'd be doing whatever required the least amount of travel. I've been flying in Indo for years, but I'd be lying if the Foreign Correspondent story a couple of weeks ago didn't spook me haha.

No matter what happens, you will have spent a week diving in Raja Ampat. Even if you got zero waves, probably be a trip of a lifetime.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 21 May 2016 at 7:27pm

I was just reading on another website that Rizal Tanjung has just opened up a 7 hectare surf resort at Istana Ombak.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 21 May 2016 at 8:03pm
dandandan wrote:

You can get really lucky (or more commonly unlucky) going to Istana Ombak. It's not much of a fun place when the swell is big, and you could turn up there at the same time as 15 pros and not get many waves. Conversely you could get there just as everyone leaves and have 2-3 foot waves to yourself in a beautiful spot. I wouldn't completely laugh off a trip to the Bukit if you just have five days up your sleeves, despite the crowds one or two long lefts at Ulus is still magic. I'd be doing whatever required the least amount of travel. I've been flying in Indo for years, but I'd be lying if the Foreign Correspondent story a couple of weeks ago didn't spook me haha.

No matter what happens, you will have spent a week diving in Raja Ampat. Even if you got zero waves, probably be a trip of a lifetime.

What happened on Foreign Correspondent ?

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Saturday, 21 May 2016 at 9:56pm
goofyfoot wrote:

I was just reading on another website that Rizal Tanjung has just opened up a 7 hectare surf resort at Istana Ombak.

Been taking guests for a couple of seasons now. Originally there was plans for tennis courts, gym etc... Not sure if that's still going ahead now. Some Jakarta investors were looking at the beach front land owned by the Australian lady when I was last there... Not to mention the existing resort, the villa on the hilltop, the Chillhouse owned but pretty much abandoned group of villas in the corner, the two places owned by various Japanese and Korean guys, the Jungle Homestay just outside the village, the Dutch and Australian owned plots further around the corner, the Balinese owned place further down the beach, a few spots owned by people from in town and the 5-10 locally owned homestays. Plenty of options for accommodation there!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 21 May 2016 at 9:57pm
dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Saturday, 21 May 2016 at 10:02pm
Blowin wrote:

What happened on Foreign Correspondent ?

Probably wouldn't want to watch it if you're flying domestically in Indonesia any time soon. And to be honest, deep down we always knew it to be the case. I've always been a bit nervous flying so I've already decided to catch the bus from Jogja to Bali later this year, and will be ferry hopping across the outer islands too I reckon. The odds are absolutely in your favor, but it's like a solo surf at a sharky spot at dawn... once the fear sets in it is hard to shake!

http://www.abc.net.au/foreign/content/2015/s4451881.htm

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 21 May 2016 at 11:20pm

And I fly AirAsia pretty much exclusively.

Unless it's inter island , then it's Wings, Lion , Merpati or Transnusa......which are all owned by Wings I think.

Yeewwww !!!

Plummeting from 38,000ft would have to be one of the worst ways to go.

Dying as a direct result of Indo corruption doesn't even bear thinking about.

Sounds like it'd be safer gunning it in the tinny like the shore bound ,would - be Islamic fighters from Melbourne that were arrested on their way to Cape York.

Malcolm Douglas pulled it off.

I might even bring a few asylum seekers with me on the return trip- they could throw in for fuel.

Cheers Indo and Dandandan.

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Wednesday, 1 Jun 2016 at 7:42pm
AndyM wrote:

Seaslug I was at Lembongan two years ago, it was crowded and really cut-throat. Got way more waves on the Bukit. Still beautiful though.

+ 1
First time was early 80's staying in the village a crowd then was more than 8 guys
Then mid 90"s honeymoon. No crowds good waves
Back last year - never again. A circus the water

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Wednesday, 1 Jun 2016 at 10:28pm
saltman wrote:
AndyM wrote:

+ 1
First time was early 80's staying in the village a crowd then was more than 8 guys
Then mid 90"s honeymoon. No crowds good waves
Back last year - never again. A circus the water

Yeah it was ugly.Everyone was paddling over the top of each other, full psyche-out fest. I think the couple of waves I snavelled I got dropped in on by the locals. I shot them a look and they started posturing up. Good times. Great place to cruise around on a bike for a couple of days though and eat satays at the cock fights.
No, I mean the other cock fights!

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 2 Jun 2016 at 11:32am

Pangandaran might be worth a look. jailhouse island will have calm waters on one side or the other (depending on swell and wind direction)worth snorkelling and a few waves to choose from. Not too far from jakarta and an airport nearby.
Everyone in Jakarta always advises me to go there but i havent made it yet.
Waves on both sides of the island.

rinlow75's picture
rinlow75's picture
rinlow75 Monday, 10 Oct 2016 at 3:12am

Thanks! Ended up booking a week at Keramas before we head to Raja Ampat. Will be there 10/22-10/28. I know it will be crowded... Any advice? Surf/winds typically decent in October? Any other spots like Sanur worth checking?