Surfboard shapes by former professionals

Purplepills's picture
Purplepills started the topic in Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 9:19pm

Well Richie Lovett's boards aren't doing too well $375 at surfection mosman

What other surfers who think they can shape bomb but some can actually shape.

And then you have shapers who can mow foam and interpret that into a blank and still rip - think Maurice Cole [my inspiration at how i wanna hit the lip at 60!] Simon, AB(rip)

nochaser's picture
nochaser's picture
nochaser Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 10:16pm

Like his book - straight to the bargain bin.

stickyson's picture
stickyson's picture
stickyson Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 10:38pm

Glyndon Ringrose a very hard act to follow!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 11:13pm

Mark Richards.

Purplepills's picture
Purplepills's picture
Purplepills Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 at 5:13am

MR has been doing boards for ever and very well.

Glyndon Ringrose will have a look - funny only talking about him around bells and think he ended up driving a ski

Warner knocks out good sticks but it seems to me everyone who retires or near retirement has a board Co.
Hoya shaping on fridays and Jake Patto too, ozzie wright has a brand but don't touch em, Navrin Fox looks to be a student of the craft, the guys behind Super Brand

These days I guess it is how good you are at CAD and at scrub's and you don't need to jump thru a bazzilion red hoops to start an operation unlike every other profession

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 at 7:43am

Simon Anderson & MR

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 at 5:02pm

Dylan Longbottom's boards look sweet

Purplepills's picture
Purplepills's picture
Purplepills Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 at 5:52pm

Yes Simon's! Slater back on Simons trying to find that magic he found in Simons before but a different construction. Love to try couple of his shapes still surfs good too the big unit.

Dylan can surf he charges he would make good south coast slab boards.

So if you us CAD only are you a 'surfboard designer' and not a shaper - food for thought

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 at 8:10pm

Dave Macaulay's got a good rep.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 16 Apr 2016 at 8:37pm
eel wrote:

Dylan Longbottom's boards look sweet

Dylans are great shaper .....but only if shaped by him and glassed in Aust......or you end up with a board with a crap Balinese glass job ...same deal with Jim Banks magic boards let down with the glassing.

nochaser's picture
nochaser's picture
nochaser Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 3:43pm

Terry Fitz and passing it on to Joel 'crikey' Fitz he is on here somewhere I sure.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 6:32pm

Simon. Fitz. MC. From way back, the Brothers Nielsen as well, good boards. Have a sweet board of theirs shaped by Tony Eltherington. Also, Thornton Fallander, great shaper and surfer. AB's channel bottoms.

Others I would think: MR, Wayne Lynch but haven't tried any of their boards.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 6:47pm

Mr Lynch and son have just finished a 9'6 Western Red Cedar pintail..beautiful.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 7:12pm

More recently there's Shaun Cansdell who's started Shaun Cansdell Shapes up in Coffs.

http://www.shauncansdellshapes.com/

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 8:33pm

If he shapes one hundredth as good as he surfs then those boards will be incredible.

Such a cool bloke, hope he succeeds.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Monday, 18 Apr 2016 at 8:52pm

Red Gold, Udo, droool...
Some of my most prized possessions are, well, cuts of timber. Red Cedar is beautiful when using a small butterfly plane on it as a stringer, there's this copper red glow to it that is mesmorising... Huon and its incredible smell; the methyl eugenol that allows 35,000 year old submerged/buried trunks to present as new. King Billy Pine, like Red Cedar has this otherworldly light weight feel... Black heart Sassafras, man I could go on...

One of the great tragedies of the prehistory of Australia was the fire regime that saw the ancient Gondwanan forests that truly dominated the continent reduced to pockets of mountainous high rainfall areas on the Eastern Seaboard... but that's another thread entirely

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Tuesday, 19 Apr 2016 at 8:09am

I got a MK2 from Jim Banks about three years ago. It's been a magic board and the glass job has been pretty good - depressions showed up early, but some heavy hits on rocky points, falling out of motorbike racks or being banged about in the car hasn't put any major dings in it. It's the closest thing I've had to a one-board quiver for ages: good in Indo reefs up to 6 foot, great in points at home, lots of fun on beachies too..I'd definitely get another from him, though I think I'd ask for the strongest glass going this time around.

Purplepills's picture
Purplepills's picture
Purplepills Tuesday, 19 Apr 2016 at 8:28am

Velocityhohnno got some birds eye maple cuts ;-) interesting about the Gondwanan forest (just read a enviro govt fact sheet) but that's another thread.

Rode a jim banks in fiji on a long right in the early 2000 went good - I like the indo rocket outline & shape - 'Glassed to last' on his site dandandan I like that