Surfing rib injuries... anyone else?

joemcd's picture
joemcd started the topic in Monday, 11 Apr 2016 at 8:24pm

Hi there,

Been surfing for more than 10 years and still get rib pain now and then. Recently it got quite severe and I've taken a couple months out of the water. I've been trying to find out A) if lots of other surfers get this and just put up with it and B) whether it was enough of a problem to need a solution.

To help me do this, I'd be grateful if you could fill out this survey (literally takes 1 minute): https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/surf-injury-survey

I've been looking around for a solution and come up with nothing except ridiculous blow up air contraptions and puffed up Incredible Hulk vests - all totally impractical and stupidly expensive.

Would be grateful for anyone's thoughts on this or experience of this type of injury.

Thanks a lot

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 11 Apr 2016 at 9:04pm

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Monday, 11 Apr 2016 at 9:47pm

The pain normally goes away after about 5 days in the water, not really an issue surfing regularly or with a wettie on though.

Weirdly the front of one of my ribs now has a permanently protruding lump / swollen section. Oh well.

mick-free's picture
mick-free's picture
mick-free Tuesday, 12 Apr 2016 at 8:47am

I use a paddleair ergo vest after breaking my ribs. Works good.

seaman-staines's picture
seaman-staines's picture
seaman-staines Tuesday, 12 Apr 2016 at 4:23pm

In the last year or so I've developed that lump in the sternum (can't remember what it's called but it feels like a bone poking out of the rib cage) and it can really hurt, had to adjust my paddling style and can't surf in T shirt anymore as it bruises and gets a rash that gets deep fast and I now have a nice scar there. It's really annoying. I've always had the 2 lumps on both sides of the lower rib cage but they have never caused too much problem but this thing is shit.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Wednesday, 13 Apr 2016 at 4:44pm

Did you get it checked out SS? I am ignoring mine now but it's pretty pronounced. I took all the wax off my board in that area and just but a thin coat back on that patch.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Wednesday, 13 Apr 2016 at 4:44pm

Did you get it checked out SS? I am ignoring mine now but it's pretty pronounced. I took all the wax off my board in that area and just but a thin coat back on that patch.