Cold water booties

sandy's picture
sandy started the topic in Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 5:08pm

Heading to a cold water spot in April (12-13deg water - 4/3mm suit) and need some new booties. Interested to hear if anyone out there has any particular recommendations? Thanks

sandy's picture
sandy's picture
sandy Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 5:44pm

Sorry fellas actually just seen on the Need site 4mm booties for 60 bucks. Can't argue with that and they look pretty good. Trouble is there is no stock looks like its been hammered

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 5:55pm

Sandy, bootys are the sort of thing that are easy to receive the wrong size if you are ordering online . Unless you have tried the actual size and know what fits I recommend go to the shops and try on all the brands until you find the perfect fit . I find it about 5-1 odds of getting a winner with boots , had so many that end up fakked once u try to surf in them its a rare boot that doesn't get moved along for me

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 5:56pm

Patagonia are ones that are working for me currently tho

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 6:03pm

Whats the cost of those camel ?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 6:12pm

Truth be told I dunno udo & they are worn out & I tried to replace them & ended up with a size too small even tho I quoted the original size . Size change happened but nobody told me . So I got some ripcurl - too small so I swapped em for the next size up - too big ! Its always the way with booties you cant decide by brands u just have to go with what fits right . Patagonia might be very exy top end but I managed to get a pack at a big discount years ago thanks to case . They are worn but they fit good & I just save em for rare times to use until I can find a replacement hopefully soon but its been a few yrs of hope

sandy's picture
sandy's picture
sandy Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 8:50am

Thanks caml yep good point. Patagonia eh I better start saving! Watched 180-Deg South the other day, enjoyed it.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 9:11am

Yeah totally agree there is only one thing id never buy online and that is booties, its a must to try them on in real life to find the best fit possible. Sizes between brands even individual boots also vary and everyone has different shaped feet so some brands fit some peoples feet shape better than others, when you go buy some don't worry to much about brands and styles etc, just try them all on most times you all then find one that fits perfect while all the others feel a bit funny.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 9:36am

I've been happy with an old pair of Quiksilver ones, but I'm not fussy with brand. Like others have said it is about fit.

One tip from me would be get closed toe boots. I once had a split tow boot and the leg rope would always find a way to wedge itself between my big toe and the rest of the boot. Kooked many a wave due to that old chestnut.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 3:30pm

try them on in store, all brands, its odd but they all differ in fit and comfort. i wear O'Neill winter & reef booties. And always always always go a size smaller than your normal shoe size, well that has worked for me anyways.