Famous and not so famous drop ins

Taco's picture
Taco started the topic in Friday, 29 Jan 2016 at 8:25pm

Been reading the comments from the has qld surf had its day and noticed the drop in comments..So I thought I'd like to hear more people's famous or not so famous drop ins..Me I've had my share including being blatantly smoked by none other than three world champions..So here go's

Mick and Joel...mick twice actually..both at snapper on fair days..Now I'm no world beater but I'm an above average surfer who can get deep and find his way through a tube and on one occasion I was coming outa one peeler when I was graced with the world champs presence..didnt bat an eyelid when I told him in no uncertain terms that I was clearly making that section and I don't give a rats who you are..just paddled back up the point.

The king..South straddie..after taking what seemed to be an unmake able late drop ( even to myself ) and bottom turning hard to squeak under the lip and set a rail,who should be dropping down the face but jimmy slade himself..I got absolutely pummelled every which way but loose and may not have made it,but cmon at least give me the benefit of the doubt,was millions of waves that day..For what it's worth he did kinda apologise " Theres no way I thought you were making that one"..But after he told me what a sick drop it was i was happy to move on..

Munga Barry..again straddie..lonely mid week morning '92..lonely for today's standards anyway maybe 15 guys spread from the wall to down past the sand pump..Him and Ralph were dominating as they did over there back then..I had not a single problem letting them have any wave they wanted when mr Barry thought it would be a pretty fun idea to start dropping in on me..not once,not twice,but troix times in succession!!. Up until then I had a bit of respect for him but that soon went out the window quicker than an ounce of purple in a raid..Was 19 at the time and gave him an absolute gobfull which he lapped up with with his im munga bullshit and in no uncertain terms told me how inferior I was..In an ugly situation i happened to sort that one out in front of echo beach at about 1 am the nxt morning after a few hours of taunts and laughter from the little fuckwit I just couldn't take it anymore,and under the influence of quite a few extra drys I called him out..im not a big guy so when I told him to step outside he probs thought he could have me..Lets just say it never happened again.

Mickey Picon..La Graviere..6-8 ft thumping shore break day late October..Both paddling a few feet apart for a nice righthander,both catching said righthander..Only problem was I had the inside and he didn't give a rats..I once again cop a hiding and he gets spat out 50 meters down the beach..No point arguing i only knew oui and mercy and he would of feigned speaka no english..

Numerous indonesian pros at keramas..Again no point

Numerous everyday people with sore necks and the incapability to turn their heads to the inside

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 3:52pm

p.s- don't think he was to go on to be the next president elect, but he sure had the HQ to run a very corrupt society.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 5:18pm
udo wrote:
caml wrote:
udo wrote:

Pat Oconnell charged around those times ,big Gland on a 5'10 by memory ?

Incorrect . Big g.land is not 5ft

Who mentioned 5ft ? ?

Thomas Victor Carroll was waking around Bobbys camp interviewing some crew......a slightly stoned looking Luke Egan appeared, TC asks what are you doing Large.......Luke replied going surfing
Next TC chats to Pat O Connell.....hey Tommy ....hey Pat blah blah blah
TC then says --- ladies and gentlemen there you have it Patrick OConnell surfing 6-10ft Gland on a 5'10" .

Huh really . Occy said u only need a 6"8 as well didn't he ? Like I said they were at the end of the wave

dastasha's picture
dastasha's picture
dastasha Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 6:26pm

Maybe its got something to do with them being paid to surf. You take a good wave and you're depriving them of potential income. Especially when there's cameras about. The money shot.

gunther's picture
gunther's picture
gunther Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 6:34pm

liam mcnamara at desert pt. i wasn't the only one who copped it!

Roystein's picture
Roystein's picture
Roystein Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 6:59pm

Sick stories re g land caml, that contest makes one of the all time surf vids I reckon, mostly the waves, but married to a sick soundtrack. Mate still has it on vhs.

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 7:25pm

One of the G-land comp videos...Joel Fitzgerald gets the wave of the whole she-bang in the end credits. Stark raving mental. And he wasn't in the comp!

Same comp/video, Chris Gallagher got an a-grade mental one too?

Whaddya reckon, Camel? Ring any bells?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 7:41pm

95 G Land Pro.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 8:14pm

Yeah they weren't mellow in the surf its all good just tryna chat on yeah the 97" was the best swell big all thru it . That year was epic best being egan & machado semi . Proper speedies big

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 8:17pm

Gally did get em ! I had malaria off on but still got a couple waves too .

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 8:19pm
gunther wrote:

liam mcnamara at desert pt. i wasn't the only one who copped it!

Yes he was extreme he was good at tuberiding

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 8:50pm

97 G Land Pro , one of my favourite ever flicks.

Though I probably watched the 95 more times.

Great soundtracks both

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 9:56pm

Shatner'sBassoon said: 'One of the G-land comp videos...Joel Fitzgerald gets the wave of the whole she-bang in the end credits. Stark raving mental. And he wasn't in the comp!'

For fuck's sake!!! Where will it end!!! Look shatting... are you stark raving mental!!!...??? Any more of this bullshatting, and you, well no... in fact this whole stinking thread will be banned!!! Its been made crystal clear to you by senior swillnutters and swillnutdrones... yes, we have it on good authority, with photographic evidence to boot, that joel fitz is nothing but a useless kook, and not very good at all. Among other things... lets not beat around the bush, a 'prick' I believe was the carefully chosen term used...

Enough with the bull... shatting!!!

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 4 Feb 2016 at 12:56pm

When i was a younger grommet around 16 i scored a really good grower that started off about 5 or 6 feet but around 8ft on the end at shark island and A local pro known as Nugget was eyeing off the end bowl. I tried to ignore him and carved a highline down into the bowl at mid peak which is when Nugget dropped in at Surge (the heavy end bowl.) I thought i would run into him so straightened out and pulled in under a thick lip which just missed my head. (mid peak)
I was then a bit too deep but kept hanging on amongst the foamball which was trying to buck me off like a bull. i eventually lost all strength and let go but realized later i probably could have made it behind Nugget.
Some of my the older locals i really respected saw that wave so gave me some credit at and let me get some more good ones. But looking back that lip could have paralyzed me if i slipped half a second on the bottom turn. Became friends with Nugget after that wave too. No abuse thrown around it was all fun and games like usual at the island.

This isnt a drop in but this psycho mate of mine took me down to north point for a big swell last year where in the carpark i was speaking to Yadin Nickol. Just as that was happening my old mate bumped his 4wd into one of yadins friends cars. Yadin was shocked and i asked him for a pen to write a note but my mate drove off without leaving a note or anything (asshole) now i feel worried if ever i bump into Yadin again he will point me out as one of the guys who hit his mates car and drove off.
That asshole mate ticks every box of a true sociopath so ive lost touch with him.

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Thursday, 4 Feb 2016 at 1:03pm

Must of been a bomb if nugget dropped in.Was that nugget on a lid or a stand up

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 4 Feb 2016 at 3:29pm

On a lid, at that age it was probably the biggest barrel i had ridden so far. Unfortunately i didnt make it.

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Thursday, 4 Feb 2016 at 4:13pm

G Land is a higher state of mind, I've lived in G Land my whole life and it's nice to know you swellnet types know the feeling.

Drop ins are no problem either, when Gary G drops in - you know there's gonna be a party.

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Thursday, 4 Feb 2016 at 9:44pm

never stopped to wonder, carlesbergh kegs on tap, pour your own, no limits

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Friday, 5 Feb 2016 at 3:01am

The nulla..getting off the train trying to make it to south as a 13 yr old..

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 4:27am

..comment deleted

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 10 Feb 2016 at 8:30pm

Are u sure that your mate didnt just take off inside a g.land legend ? & then claim drop in like a rookie claimant would ? I mean he only surfs small waves being an old timer .

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 4:28am

comment deleted

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 10 Feb 2016 at 8:27pm

Cafe ? Never heard of it

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 9 Feb 2016 at 11:13am

Yeah i guess there was. I had no part of it though just telling a hunch. If he did drop in on others and especially bodyboarders it could have been anyone. But if i was in my mates shoes i would have got over it pretty quick. Drop ins at g-land are pretty common.
The cafe was one he was telling us about on the bus back to bali, nachos i think and stuff like that, part owned by himself.
Sorry to strike a nerve there Caml.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 9 Feb 2016 at 2:06pm

No nerves , its just appropriate to balance the topic a bit

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 9 Feb 2016 at 11:38am

I shouldnt be still drinking beer.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Wednesday, 10 Feb 2016 at 8:31pm

Just remember , a drop in is just made up in your mind , some old legendary surfys might not see it as a drop in & so these kids inside him mean nothing & cos when your old things are different . if he wanted a wave he could take whatever

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 9 Feb 2016 at 2:08pm

A generous type of man that bangers

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Tuesday, 9 Feb 2016 at 6:32pm

it was his quiver of rusty's that really impressed me, and I sure took a liking to that G-land incense wafting on a morning trade breeze. thanks- thought there might be more too it!

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Tuesday, 9 Feb 2016 at 6:39pm

didn't mind watching you grind the place down to nuthin-

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 10:31am

Wasnt a good idea talking crap about someone

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Wednesday, 10 Feb 2016 at 9:14pm

my apologies

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Wednesday, 10 Feb 2016 at 10:17pm

Occy France 1992 a beautiful 4-5ft right bomb coming my way Occy half way out screaming at me
using my name and all yelling go go go. (If I wasn't) Anyway flying down the line on probably the best
wave I got in France and he just drops in and completely smokes me. And he calls me weird!!!
Yeh right Occ.

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Wednesday, 10 Feb 2016 at 10:21pm

Lol go occ...

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 6:58am
caml wrote:

Groundswell can u make your comments disappear ? Wasnt a good idea talking crap about someone

Deleted the regretful posts, but Goofy still has one in his quote.
Sorry again. My brother went off at me for writing that crap too. Not cool.
Anyway im glad BB was kind to you.

tux's picture
tux's picture
tux Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 10:03am

Was camping up near Todos Santos near a trailer park full of yanks...one of the yanks kind of takes us under his wing introduces us around to his mates etc hooks us up with a few things to do while we waited for the swell (wink wink)...anyway we go out on the piss the night before the swell hits and he just sits there like a stunned mullet everytime its his shout...seemed a bit odd as he'd been coming on heavy with these are my new aussie mates act all day...anyway swell arrives and its all good beautiful waves and this yank pick paddles out and just fresh airs us and goes the inside...no worries obviously he's been here a while etc....not content with that after about an hour of snaking he decides its quicker to just burn us everytime we take off....after getting faded on a 12 footer I had a gutful and called him every name under the sun...he kinda got all sulky after that and wouldn't come near us...prick

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 10:25am
groundswell wrote:
caml wrote:

Groundswell can u make your comments disappear ? Wasnt a good idea talking crap about someone

Deleted the regretful posts, but Goofy still has one in his quote.
Sorry again. My brother went off at me for writing that crap too. Not cool.
Anyway im glad BB was kind to you.

You just dont know who's reading this GS , and bali is close to oz too . most people love the guy we talked about . & there's a big difference between certain things that smugglers would & wouldn't do . Some might have morals even about what they sell

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 10:29am

This website has been contacted about removal of the offending words so they will be removed asap

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 11:16am
caml wrote:

This website has been contacted about removal of the offending words so they will be removed asap

Straight from the Obama administration.

I missed the above comments, but saying that this whole thread has been, structured around offending words, directed at the people who have dropped in!

Ol Taco was talking about snakes/snak'in, then the title of the thread was changed pretty quick, as I guess was from admin?
Carry on;)

Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 11:25am
Shatner'sBassoon wrote:

My brother blatantly burned John Riddell at 'macking' Middleton once. Mr Riddell subsequently wanted to kill him. Funny stuff hearing him lose his shit in those dulcet tones.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/sa/a/8699626/john-riddell/

I'd like to apologise for my indiscretion here. After chatting to my brother about this incident, he informed me that he did not drop in on Mr. Riddell.

He ran him over.

Again, I am deeply sorry for casting aspersions.

Though, I think he may have done it deliberately? Kook was always getting in the way. Apparently.

Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 11:29am

Actually, I'd like to apologise to John Riddell for referring to him as a 'kook'.

I have been further informed that he is, in fact, a snake.

Sorry, comrade.

Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 1:05pm

Sorry, sorry, I have to say that John Riddell is a good egg...and this is NOT in reference to the shape and general appearance of his skull in any way.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 8:32pm

S-B
Gold;)

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 9:45pm

Bloody good topic. Camel you could write a book if you were ever had the inclination thanks for your input champ.

As for my own famous drop ins have none to share but the most famous I have witnessed didn't come from a pro surfer rather on the news a few times when a former PM who occasionally paddled out for an image enhancing surf and proceeded to try and take out others in the lineup with reckless abandon.

single-fin's picture
single-fin's picture
single-fin Monday, 28 Mar 2016 at 8:18pm

Didn't happen to me but here's our ex-PM showing his form...

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 28 Mar 2016 at 10:03pm

Can't see a lot of " dropping " in , going on that image . Perhaps a "surge in " should be used instead .
Most loggers in that location just go straight anyway . Doesn't stop him looking like a knob though , atleast he's covered it up . She could of wore less .... !

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 at 6:01am

Who wears a steamer at Noosa in March? Stoney ripping and taking no prisoners.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 at 8:09am

And also a ripped/torn steamer, someone sponsor Tony! Ha.

Purplepills's picture
Purplepills's picture
Purplepills Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 at 1:24pm
Craig wrote:

And also a ripped/torn steamer, someone sponsor Tony! Ha.

I'll take a ripped steamer than 'Abbott happens' in his budgie smugglers any day. Isn't the water 26 degrees up there ATM.

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 at 2:13pm

It's got me stumped the water is 26 degrees at the moment and the number of people I see in spring suits and even full steamers on the Goldy is ridiculous!!

Nigel Nosedive's picture
Nigel Nosedive's picture
Nigel Nosedive Tuesday, 29 Mar 2016 at 3:27pm

Fluffing around on mals on those dribblers while the coast had decent waves elsewhere is the real crime. Does it qualify as a drop in when there is no prospect of a bottom turn ?