Famous and not so famous drop ins

Taco's picture
Taco started the topic in Friday, 29 Jan 2016 at 8:25pm

Been reading the comments from the has qld surf had its day and noticed the drop in comments..So I thought I'd like to hear more people's famous or not so famous drop ins..Me I've had my share including being blatantly smoked by none other than three world champions..So here go's

Mick and Joel...mick twice actually..both at snapper on fair days..Now I'm no world beater but I'm an above average surfer who can get deep and find his way through a tube and on one occasion I was coming outa one peeler when I was graced with the world champs presence..didnt bat an eyelid when I told him in no uncertain terms that I was clearly making that section and I don't give a rats who you are..just paddled back up the point.

The king..South straddie..after taking what seemed to be an unmake able late drop ( even to myself ) and bottom turning hard to squeak under the lip and set a rail,who should be dropping down the face but jimmy slade himself..I got absolutely pummelled every which way but loose and may not have made it,but cmon at least give me the benefit of the doubt,was millions of waves that day..For what it's worth he did kinda apologise " Theres no way I thought you were making that one"..But after he told me what a sick drop it was i was happy to move on..

Munga Barry..again straddie..lonely mid week morning '92..lonely for today's standards anyway maybe 15 guys spread from the wall to down past the sand pump..Him and Ralph were dominating as they did over there back then..I had not a single problem letting them have any wave they wanted when mr Barry thought it would be a pretty fun idea to start dropping in on me..not once,not twice,but troix times in succession!!. Up until then I had a bit of respect for him but that soon went out the window quicker than an ounce of purple in a raid..Was 19 at the time and gave him an absolute gobfull which he lapped up with with his im munga bullshit and in no uncertain terms told me how inferior I was..In an ugly situation i happened to sort that one out in front of echo beach at about 1 am the nxt morning after a few hours of taunts and laughter from the little fuckwit I just couldn't take it anymore,and under the influence of quite a few extra drys I called him out..im not a big guy so when I told him to step outside he probs thought he could have me..Lets just say it never happened again.

Mickey Picon..La Graviere..6-8 ft thumping shore break day late October..Both paddling a few feet apart for a nice righthander,both catching said righthander..Only problem was I had the inside and he didn't give a rats..I once again cop a hiding and he gets spat out 50 meters down the beach..No point arguing i only knew oui and mercy and he would of feigned speaka no english..

Numerous indonesian pros at keramas..Again no point

Numerous everyday people with sore necks and the incapability to turn their heads to the inside

Taco's picture
Taco's picture
Taco Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 4:19pm

Haha Nats Nat and thats that..

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 4:34pm

Fancy being challenged by Barton Lynch...too funny.

No offence Mr Lynch, Im probably less of a fighter than you are by the sounds of it, and you rip.

But you'd be facing pretty good odds of getting knocked out fronting people like that surely ?

BTW - How the fuck has Tommy Carroll gotten away with his shit for so long without requiring extensive dental repair work ?

I've got to admit that even though I've never met the man and I don't go in too hard for the adulation of celebrity thing, I've got a bit of a soft spot for the man due to his tenacious , yet flawed character and his unrelenting talent and courage in waves of consequence.

Having said that, if he burnt me too heavily , I'd have zero qualms about giving him a mini - me style dunking.

You'd throw the cunt around like a ventriloquist's doll.

What gives ?

Is his cheeky grin so potent ?

Or has he got a formidable posse ?

He sounds charmed .

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 6:16pm

In Barton's defence he was only young and the fame had gone to his head a bit but Nat was just a plain 100% cunt of a man who deserved the pounding he got at Angas and probably should have got more!

And for another famous surfer that made an absolute prick of himself in the water with drop ins, I can't go past Jeff Crawford from Hawaii while at G-Land.
He was that bad that even the people running the camp had to word him up so the others staying there didn't bash him senseless. A true A-grade arsehole who would burn anybody in the tube or elsewhere no matter how good they could surf and never give them the benefit of the doubt as to whether they would make it or not.
But on a whole, most of the pros I've ever been in the water with have been good to surf with and most are just normal sort of people with better surfing skills than most.

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 6:29pm

One drop in = one flat tyre...

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 7:16pm

A flat tyre does not mean only let the air out.........a flat tyre is pulling out the valve stem with a pair of pliers preferably on all four tyres.

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 7:18pm

Jump on the roof seems to work kdo

Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie's picture
Wharfjunkie Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 8:57pm
goofyfoot wrote:

Wasn't done to me, but I've watched Jamie Obrian burn guys switch foot at 6-8ft speedies. While they've been in the tube of their lives possibly. Amasing surfer and great to watch but there's no excuse for that

Probably learnt to be an obnoxious cunt from his old man Mick....

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 1 Feb 2016 at 1:11am
Shatner'sBassoon wrote:

I don't know if this technically qualifies but a mate of ours went out at micro Bells on an old log sans legrope, subsequently lost his board on a tiddler, and it cleaned up Damien Oliver, the jockey, in the shorey big-time. I think he may have been knocked out and taken to hospital.

This same mate also scored the cover of the 'surfer's bible' once. A shot of him burning a dude at North Point. They even had a little comp of sorts in the mag to determine who he was.

Both times he copped it from all & sundry...especially us!

Hosko ! & he is a top bloke & charger

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 1 Feb 2016 at 1:47am

Settle down you agro crowdsurfers Who's never dropped in ?
Ive always admired those who can ride double or triples & actually yearn to share waves ! . Its been awhile since done much of that but I had the pleasure of doing triple shares at margrets with a coupla different sparring partners the best were phlig , G Garrett , dutts & teneil , these people are experts at the game & I had some really fun rides tripled & more commonly doubles . Sharing a ride with a girlfriend is always fun too except for when a certain ex gf Bec would do it on 15ft waves cos I paddled inside too many times , I enjoyed it but I think she rather rode alone to herself . Good fun at deset pt doing shares crossing over with a few mates during crowded times and taking turns to get tubed by having a bit of time in then reverse position I think it was best to be one goofy with one natural footer at deserts it seemed to work better but we tried both goofys together but it wasn't as neat at least both of us would get tubed on the one wave & sometimes 2 tubes each if you did well . Best ones at g.land would have to be with big todd archer most likely due to our similar worship to lopes & mc cabe , we tried our own take on it on some 8ft speedies perfection & never went wrong . We are yet to see the full potential of tandem surfing im pretty sure that if you worked onit it could be insane . Say like think jack f & alana b potential career ? Paid to surf tandem rather than the current status of competition . Include air manouvres spice it up

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 1 Feb 2016 at 1:50am
Wharfjunkie wrote:
goofyfoot wrote:

Wasn't done to me, but I've watched Jamie Obrian burn guys switch foot at 6-8ft speedies. While they've been in the tube of their lives possibly. Amasing surfer and great to watch but there's no excuse for that

Probably learnt to be an obnoxious cunt from his old man Mick....

Young smitty gave him a scolding when Job did it to him at g.land

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Monday, 1 Feb 2016 at 7:20am

I never saw it while I was there but I was informed that Jeff Crawford is being an absolute bastard
out at Rocky Point burning everybody including some locals and his former fame is just about to end.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 1 Feb 2016 at 7:58am

Jeff Crawford must be getting on in years.....mid 60s ?

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Monday, 1 Feb 2016 at 9:42am

Caml, sharing is a lot different to the drop in. See your point though, the planned / agreed sharing could add a whole new area. It would be great to this with the young hotties - aires and all.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Monday, 1 Feb 2016 at 9:53am

Sure tonyb it was turning a bit ugly there with the bitter comments so was just trying to bring the good fun stories back on . I have a couple more tales & I really like this thread .good one taco

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 1 Feb 2016 at 10:27am

I've never really been dropped in on by anyone famous. KS at Burleigh years ago but truthfully i wasn't going to make the section.

But the sharing waves resonates with me. I'm natural and my mate is goofy and sometimes if we've been getting heaps of waves and we're in the zone we'll go. Good fun, smiles all round doing cross overs and reo's in and around each other. Don't really try it on tubing waves though.

But I sure as hell hate sharing waves with people I don't know:)

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Monday, 1 Feb 2016 at 10:52am

Too true caml, everybody has been guilty of a drop-in or three, it's only the named surfers that think the feel entitled to any wave they want that I have problem with.

One drop-in I received from a mate out in some great 6-8ft waves one time left me with a swim in and a nice ding from the rocks after breaking my leggie. A few words and a promise of pay back was about the only outcome until about 15 years later when I got the payback opportunity.
A lovely day at the point. 6ft grinding barrels and old matey is in the spot for a beauty but little did he know that my memory rivalled an elephants and he was gonna get ultimate payback.
Just as he was lining up the barrel section I dropped down in front of him with a nice fading bottom turn, hitting him with a lovely spray and nice gouge to negotiate, then pulled into a tube that would count as one to remember in years to come, all the while with a grin ear to ear on my dial!
Old matey got wasted by the lip and when I paddled back out he was just starting to go ape shit at me when I calmly said "pay back June long weekend 1986"
He says " you can't be serious" then shakes his head knowing he was beaten and we still laugh about it nowadays when we get together.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 1 Feb 2016 at 10:55am

Great story Seal. I can picture it. Funny stuff.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 1 Feb 2016 at 10:56am

Classic story Seal!

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Monday, 1 Feb 2016 at 11:33am

most fun days I've had surfing were being called into big waves out the point by the jinx. schooled by a true gentleman and pirate!

mrmik's picture
mrmik's picture
mrmik Monday, 1 Feb 2016 at 11:50am

What a great thread!

It makes it abundantly clear that a certain proportion of surfers are behaving quite regularly in egotistical and anti-social ways. It's a kleptocracy, not a meritocracy or aristocracy.

It's a rigged game, in which the unscrupulous sometimes manage to rise to the very top.

Merit? Respect? What a joke! Some of them deserve no more respect for their outstanding surfing skills than a mafioso or a drug dealer deserve respect for their wealth.

The question is what to do about it?

Why is it that the offender so often gets away with it? Why is the surfer who has his/her wave stolen so often unable to catch up? I think it may be because s/he can see the offender and would have to deliberately risk or provoke a collision, while the offender looks away and relies on the fear factor to stop the victim.

The only legal, ethical and (relatively safe) method I have found so far is that I choose to paddle into the path of the offender when I can not avoid getting into some ones way. Dropping in not only blocks the legitimate surfer, it sometimes also blocks other surfers (who are paddling out) from getting out of the way of the legitimate surfer on the wave. So when I am paddling out, and am faced with 2 or more surfers on a wave, leaving me no way that avoids getting in the way, I try to free the way for the legit surfer by paddling into the way of the offender.

staitey's picture
staitey's picture
staitey Monday, 1 Feb 2016 at 12:13pm

Christmas Day about 4 years ago. Snapper was 6 foot +. So hard to get out, finally got out near green mount and paddled for 30 mins to get back somewhere near the top of the point………..I saw Occy said 'Merry Christmas', Occy, ' G'day mate' (in the nasal drawl) and precedes to take a wave from beneath me…………….yeah merry xmas……….although was expected as I don't know if I've seen him take off on a wave that hasn't got anyone on it

sunlover199's picture
sunlover199's picture
sunlover199 Monday, 1 Feb 2016 at 1:26pm

spear them in the head, they wont dropin again, if they do, spear them again !

Taco wrote:

Been reading the comments from the has qld surf had its day and noticed the drop in comments..So I thought I'd like to hear more people's famous or not so famous drop ins..Me I've had my share including being blatantly smoked by none other than three world champions..So here go's

Mick and Joel...mick twice actually..both at snapper on fair days..Now I'm no world beater but I'm an above average surfer who can get deep and find his way through a tube and on one occasion I was coming outa one peeler when I was graced with the world champs presence..didnt bat an eyelid when I told him in no uncertain terms that I was clearly making that section and I don't give a rats who you are..just paddled back up the point.

The king..South straddie..after taking what seemed to be an unmake able late drop ( even to myself ) and bottom turning hard to squeak under the lip and set a rail,who should be dropping down the face but jimmy slade himself..I got absolutely pummelled every which way but loose and may not have made it,but cmon at least give me the benefit of the doubt,was millions of waves that day..For what it's worth he did kinda apologise " Theres no way I thought you were making that one"..But after he told me what a sick drop it was i was happy to move on..

Munga Barry..again straddie..lonely mid week morning '92..lonely for today's standards anyway maybe 15 guys spread from the wall to down past the sand pump..Him and Ralph were dominating as they did over there back then..I had not a single problem letting them have any wave they wanted when mr Barry thought it would be a pretty fun idea to start dropping in on me..not once,not twice,but troix times in succession!!. Up until then I had a bit of respect for him but that soon went out the window quicker than an ounce of purple in a raid..Was 19 at the time and gave him an absolute gobfull which he lapped up with with his im munga bullshit and in no uncertain terms told me how inferior I was..In an ugly situation i happened to sort that one out in front of echo beach at about 1 am the nxt morning after a few hours of taunts and laughter from the little fuckwit I just couldn't take it anymore,and under the influence of quite a few extra drys I called him out..im not a big guy so when I told him to step outside he probs thought he could have me..Lets just say it never happened again.

Mickey Picon..La Graviere..6-8 ft thumping shore break day late October..Both paddling a few feet apart for a nice righthander,both catching said righthander..Only problem was I had the inside and he didn't give a rats..I once again cop a hiding and he gets spat out 50 meters down the beach..No point arguing i only knew oui and mercy and he would of feigned speaka no english..

Numerous indonesian pros at keramas..Again no point

Numerous everyday people with sore necks and the incapability to turn their heads to the inside

linez's picture
linez's picture
linez Monday, 1 Feb 2016 at 1:34pm

Living on the Gold Coast, I've been burnt by most of the local names already mentioned, and I've watched their antics many times. But rather than focus on what they do, I wanted to mention one guy who seems to have escaped being tarnished by the arrogance and sense of entitlement that these other clowns display -Bede Durbidge. Don't know the guy at all, but he seems to show respect in the line up while still getting his waves. I could be hastily corrected here by other's experiences, but that's how I have seen it.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Monday, 1 Feb 2016 at 1:49pm
linez wrote:

Living on the Gold Coast, I've been burnt by most of the local names already mentioned, and I've watched their antics many times. But rather than focus on what they do, I wanted to mention one guy who seems to have escaped being tarnished by the arrogance and sense of entitlement that these other clowns display -Bede Durbidge. Don't know the guy at all, but he seems to show respect in the line up while still getting his waves. I could be hastily corrected here by other's experiences, but that's how I have seen it.

No, nothing to correct.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Monday, 1 Feb 2016 at 1:55pm

If you've ever met his family and saw where he grew up at Point Lookout up on Durbo's Hill with generations of family getting around as well as the chooks and occasional pig, you'd see where he's coming from. Classic family, classic guy, all real and no ego that I ever saw.
Shame the sponsors couldn't see value in a guy like this, suppose it says something about pro surfing.

p-funk's picture
p-funk's picture
p-funk Monday, 1 Feb 2016 at 1:59pm

Occy at D-Bah once but that's been about it. His backhand bottom turn possibly would have looked even more impressive in real life if the fire hose coming off his rails wasn't landing squarely on my retinas.

I will however never forget what probably still is the best ever day at the superbank (August '04 from memory? - the day on 3 degrees vid anyway). End up in a nice section all to my lonesome at the start of Cooly beach where it was folding. Watch Mick come flying down on a wave, then pull off just past me as a tasty wave rolls in right towards us with nobody on it. I paddle as fast as my 6'1 Al Byrne Channel bottom will go, Mick spins on my outside and does the same. I do not look at him and paddle in a 'this is mine and I'll rip your fucking head off if you even look at me' kind of way. You know, cause I'm tough like that. He keeps paddling. I take a late, angled drop and drive hard from the get go. For a brief second he looks at me. I look at him. Eye to eye. This day he must have thought I passed the test and pulled back at the very last minute, getting sucked over the falls over my shoulder. I proceeded to get slotted on a nice one and a few more after that before my day came to an end in a 6ft section at big groyne where I got pressed on my board on the bottom, snapping all three glass on fins out on my arse. Walking back to the car at Rainbow with a purple arse I saw mick get slotted about 3 times on one wave.

At this point I conceded that whilst I may have won the battle, he won the war.....

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Monday, 1 Feb 2016 at 2:25pm
p-funk wrote:

At this point I conceded that whilst I may have won the battle, he won the war.....

I'd be very happy about losing the war if I'd won that battle.
Pity about the AB though.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Monday, 1 Feb 2016 at 11:41pm
fong wrote:

..and he remembered me and laughed. .."dont surf behind me eva again"

I like sunny....great surfer

Hahaha

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 1:50am

Vetea david I really liked his style from spectating .
He began a campaign to drop in on me day after day after day at g.land 8ft tubing .
Total crazed campaign, because he wanted rogue set waves that I was onto, that was his gig & way of surfing as a pro , an absolute standout in big pits , so even tho I had fairly taken off on these waves he was further down the line & just bullied on in fading me . cos I was a kook to him , a goofy kid with a helmet .
And he was yelling at me -screaming threats & chase me in - I was horrified !
One day , after about 5 burnings he apologized charmingly on the beachfront & gave me some hashish with big smiles .
The next day he cooked me again & it wasn't fun .! haha wat a kok
But then the quiksilver pro packed up & left the circus of wild animals went . I never went to tahiti . He did like fooling around in waves of consequence & he was burning other pros too . During this session he burned A brazilian pro who blew up heavily & poto bolted for safety then returned with a white flag wrapped around his head and returned to the lineup he had begged for mercy from about 20 angry brazzo henchmen. so he finally gots a wave the honest way but kneeboarded it & got a sick tube ! And wearing the white flag as a bandana it was entertaining .
I stayed and got waves anyway without team quiksilver cos I was a surf guide at the time

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 12:50am

Poto maybe the worst ahead of liam macnamara for the villian award

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 1:17am

Brutal Caml. Sure you got your fill though!

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 1:52am

It was the first time I had really been worked over , ive always shied away from crowded surfing

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 2:06am

There was a load more too , almost every single wave I got for two weeks during the g.land quik pro . There was no other surfers except the contest crew , i really got kicked around I have to admit . One feral aussie in g.land who was the surf guide gets the invisible treatment by the pros .it really changed things I had seen a really shit side of the famous g.land pro .

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 2:12am

Ahh that sucks. Guys all chasing their own agendas, fk everyone else.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 2:19am

Thanks I will dry my tears

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 2:36am

*thumbs up symbol*

Lanky Dean's picture
Lanky Dean's picture
Lanky Dean Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 4:50am

96 mid north coast NSW ,surfing a bank with no one else (other people surfing other banks). good conditions 4 foot, hollow, light cross/ offshore.plenty of barrels.Been surfing for an hour or so, super fun.

who appears.........Dean Morrison, (we are around the same age.)
Surf a few waves,no funny business. I paddle for a set, take off and he fades me......Let him have the wave. I paddle back to position/reset and a gem comes.
I take off , pull in. All the while he is watching all of this from the channel.I am watching him from inside the barrel.I score a sick one ,make it and kick out right next to him as he is still paddling back out.
CHECK MATE.
I just smiled at him.He was nice enough to compliment me and apologised for his behavior.

Taco's picture
Taco's picture
Taco Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 6:56am

I was right..always thought poto was stoned to the eyeballs..too mich time spent on the northern beaches must have drained the old polynesian spirit..Who was surfing the hardest during that G land pro Caml?.I cant even remember who won it louie egan maybe..Who charged and more importantly who didnt?

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 7:17am

checkout metaphysical!

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 9:15am

1995 slater . 96 beschen , 97 egan . 98 non comp . A lot of pros didn't charge & some did this was bc ( pre chopes ) & pros could get away with not charging . Different to the post teahupoo era

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 9:59am

Pat Oconnell charged around those times ,big Gland on a 5'10 by memory ?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 10:18am
caml wrote:
& pros could get away with not charging "quote]

Really!? I would of thought if you're a "pro" there's no excuse

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 11:37am

Danny wills & mick campbells fortes were not charging backhand , more so they ripped east coast waves . Lets not go down this path calling out these crew

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 11:38am

Edit um mick campbells goofy but g.land wasnt his forte either

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 11:39am
udo wrote:

Incorrect . Big g.land is not 5ft

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 11:42am

G.land was huge & most surfed chickens on their little boards far from the main wave . They invented the quiksilvers section at the end of speedies this swell

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 12:20pm

I love hearing about this shit

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 12:28pm

You won't hear this from the media view that's for sure

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 1:43pm
caml wrote:
udo wrote:

Incorrect . Big g.land is not 5ft

Who mentioned 5ft ? ?

Thomas Victor Carroll was waking around Bobbys camp interviewing some crew......a slightly stoned looking Luke Egan appeared, TC asks what are you doing Large.......Luke replied going surfing
Next TC chats to Pat O Connell.....hey Tommy ....hey Pat blah blah blah
TC then says --- ladies and gentlemen there you have it Patrick OConnell surfing 6-10ft Gland on a 5'10" .

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 1:54pm

hey caml, can you fill out the bang-bang story, he seemed pretty established in bobby's at that time, he had all the gear but not much form