Famous and not so famous drop ins

Taco's picture
Taco started the topic in Friday, 29 Jan 2016 at 8:25pm

Been reading the comments from the has qld surf had its day and noticed the drop in comments..So I thought I'd like to hear more people's famous or not so famous drop ins..Me I've had my share including being blatantly smoked by none other than three world champions..So here go's

Mick and Joel...mick twice actually..both at snapper on fair days..Now I'm no world beater but I'm an above average surfer who can get deep and find his way through a tube and on one occasion I was coming outa one peeler when I was graced with the world champs presence..didnt bat an eyelid when I told him in no uncertain terms that I was clearly making that section and I don't give a rats who you are..just paddled back up the point.

The king..South straddie..after taking what seemed to be an unmake able late drop ( even to myself ) and bottom turning hard to squeak under the lip and set a rail,who should be dropping down the face but jimmy slade himself..I got absolutely pummelled every which way but loose and may not have made it,but cmon at least give me the benefit of the doubt,was millions of waves that day..For what it's worth he did kinda apologise " Theres no way I thought you were making that one"..But after he told me what a sick drop it was i was happy to move on..

Munga Barry..again straddie..lonely mid week morning '92..lonely for today's standards anyway maybe 15 guys spread from the wall to down past the sand pump..Him and Ralph were dominating as they did over there back then..I had not a single problem letting them have any wave they wanted when mr Barry thought it would be a pretty fun idea to start dropping in on me..not once,not twice,but troix times in succession!!. Up until then I had a bit of respect for him but that soon went out the window quicker than an ounce of purple in a raid..Was 19 at the time and gave him an absolute gobfull which he lapped up with with his im munga bullshit and in no uncertain terms told me how inferior I was..In an ugly situation i happened to sort that one out in front of echo beach at about 1 am the nxt morning after a few hours of taunts and laughter from the little fuckwit I just couldn't take it anymore,and under the influence of quite a few extra drys I called him out..im not a big guy so when I told him to step outside he probs thought he could have me..Lets just say it never happened again.

Mickey Picon..La Graviere..6-8 ft thumping shore break day late October..Both paddling a few feet apart for a nice righthander,both catching said righthander..Only problem was I had the inside and he didn't give a rats..I once again cop a hiding and he gets spat out 50 meters down the beach..No point arguing i only knew oui and mercy and he would of feigned speaka no english..

Numerous indonesian pros at keramas..Again no point

Numerous everyday people with sore necks and the incapability to turn their heads to the inside

Taco's picture
Taco's picture
Taco Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 10:20am

And yes I have been the distributor of decent drop in myself..but it was a mate so it's ok!!. And only ever once it was quite the embarrassment..Faded him on a nice barreling lefthander (both natural footers) where ive preceded to get at the time the best pig dog barrell of my life..Came flying out claiming the absolute bejesus out of it,full double fists to the air,only to recieve a pat on the back two seconds later by said mate with a huge grin on his dial saying "good to see you mate haha". Never again have i dropped in

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 12:25pm

Snaked! or Dropped in on?
Sounds like in surfie terme it's called dropped in on;)

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 1:32pm

@coastalwatch on Instagram today's footage is of M Fanning at Snapper burning a punter to get the "wave of the week". Call it what you want but it isn't pretty and its further proof you don't have to be too smart to be good at surfing.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 1:53pm

Floyd scroll down the page , snapper on sunday vid.....swellnet have it ...clearer footage too.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 2:06pm

Great Munga story! I remember he'd come to the island back in the day and hit up the girls with his "don't you know who I am?" schtick. What a scrotum.

Hope you learned him good Taco!

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 2:30pm

Actually had KS pull back for me on a beautiful greenmount section that I subsequently fucked up... really nice of him but couldn't shake the feeling that I let him down.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 2:37pm

Just the usual amount of drop ins received at my end (I'm not a drop-inerer, which explains my incredibly low wave count whilst living on the Gold Coast). 

However I did find many years ago - before they became fashionable - that a thick beard (plus a shaven head) often defaulted priority my way, during those spur-of-the-moment swing-arounds. 

I might start growing it back again. The beard, that is - it sure as shit isn't coming back to the top of my head.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 4:16pm
thermalben wrote:

Just the usual amount of drop ins received at my end (I'm not a drop-inerer, which explains my incredibly low wave count whilst living on the Gold Coast). 

However I did find many years ago - before they became fashionable - that a thick beard (plus a shaven head) often defaulted priority my way, during those spur-of-the-moment swing-arounds. 

I might start growing it back again. The beard, that is - it sure as shit isn't coming back to the top of my head.

too modest ben

tootr's picture
tootr's picture
tootr Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 4:26pm

anyone NOT been dropped in on by TC?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 4:28pm

I really don't know, not so many drop ins as such but on the Goldie when i lived there you do get intimated to a point where even when you have the inside position you don't go because you know even if you do they will burn you, not just the big name guys like Mick, Occy etc but the guys who think they are the true locals because they have lived there all their life and are in the local board riders club.

Problem is when you don't go, others treat you like shit and you can often only stay in position for so long with those sweeps on the points, so then you you loose your spot and just become another one of the 100 gumbys halfway down the wave.

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 5:24pm

Taco that writes this thread- that the taco warr ? Humble as ever if so

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 5:33pm

A minor claim to fame for me was in g.land "96 at the quiky pro comp there . KS drops in & fades me & I hear a lot of noise from hoots & cameramen swimming , he gets an amazing barrell & he comes back out & tells me that it was the best barrell of his life ! Pictures end up on many magazine cover shots at the time . Ks riding a yellowish board in a perfect 6ft green speedys barrell . At the time I figured well if that's the best barrell of your life I think ive had better & was quite content in my belief a month later when speedies was 12ft . Within a few years teahupoo would steal all of glands thunder though & the bar was raised to another level & my level stayed the same

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 5:34pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

I really don't know, not so many drop ins as such but on the Goldie when i lived there you do get intimated to a point where even when you have the inside position you don't go because you know even if you do they will burn you, not just the big name guys like Mick, Occy etc but the guys who think they are the true locals because they have lived there all their life and are in the local board riders club.

Problem is when you don't go, others treat you like shit and you can often only stay in position for so long with those sweeps on the points, so then you you loose your spot and just become another one of the 100 gumbys halfway down the wave.

You got it I.D., it can be a confidence game and when you start to doubt yourself it's all over.

Coops70's picture
Coops70's picture
Coops70 Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 5:43pm

Ian Cairns at indji car park I tried to fade him and went over the falls, I deserved it.

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 6:56pm

I was a teenager surfing the local when the pros rolled into town for a contest was not crowded 3 other non pros
Tom Carroll on a 1 foot wave same (he tore it to shit)
3 female pros one after the other super aggressive in non crowded small conditions
Nick wood same year 6 ft barreling wave

matt hoy luke egan occy Lennox
mick fanning and other pros ballina again uncrowded again small (Admittedly Mick called your wave later)
Jeff Hackman Kuta reef ( only knew it was Jeff hackman as he told me and everyone else out there)

dropped in on at Burleigh by someone, before sunrise its dark there was max 10 guys out.

I could go on forever Numerous seppos in Fiji numerous (self described) legends of indo ,

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 8:43pm

Dunno if I've ever been dropped in on by someone famous. Trying to think. I had Barton Lynch spin around real quickly at Sunset one time and clean ran me over. I fucked up his wave but he put a three foot fin chop in my board.

I dropped in on a good mate of mine at a heavy wave in the desert (Uplift's wave). Was a big day and a horrible burn yet totally accidental; we both paddled for the wave with him further out and inside, then a local told me to go so I assumed Barn had missd the wave. Got to the bottom and there he was just off my rail. He got flogged, showed me the hairy side of his middle finger, then gave me a right serve when he made the channel.

Was a quiet drive back to the campsite.

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 10:55pm
AndyM wrote:

Great Munga story! I remember he'd come to the island back in the day and hit up the girls with his "don't you know who I am?" schtick. What a scrotum.

Hope you learned him good Taco!

Yeah Munga tried the don't you know who I am on my sister in law at the Pt Lookout pub

She said So what!

Nat Young at Whale beach (only 3 or 4 out early on morn) sitting right next to me and refused to look left
I managed to get under him on take off and pushed on his rail sending him off the back of the wave

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 11:04pm

Classic Saltman! I'd ask who she is but that might not be the done thing on a public forum.
Bloody good times on the Island!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 11:25pm

Saltman, I've had Nat drop in on me too.

Just Nat , his daughter and myself out 3ft Angourie, chatting away in the sunshine with his daughter then he properly faded me on his Malibu.

He constantly whinged about the crowds at Yamba/ Angourie - like he wasn't partly responsible for the joint getting on the map - even though we had a joy session to ourselves.

He whinged about a lot of things really.

Didn't fucking stop.

Bitter man for the brief - but torturous - time I made his aquaintence.

Hope you're feeling better Nat.

It was years ago though, so he'd really want to be better by now.

You'd hope so, anyway.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 11:38pm

Around late 70s maybe early 80s all the pros in town for the Beurepares contest.
Stormy but good 6-8ft maybe a few bigger bombs at Cronulla point only myself and rabbit out.
Got a bomb from way inside saw rabbit drop in I swear its the only reason I made the section was
because a world champion burned me. I guess he thought I didnt make it and went for his trade mark
round house cutback only to see me high and speeding down the line he got all clumsy and sort of pulled
off falling off, I was wrapped that he noticed me. Paddled back out he even apologised I said all
good no worries. Long story short I ran into him at local pub years later and all he said was he new me new all about me and pretty much hated the sight of me and was going to king hit me. But Bruce Lee
stepped in apologised and brought me a beer. I was a very disappointed in drunken rabbit and very
surprised what a decent guy Bruce was.
Another year for the same contest Michael Ho dropped in as I was pulling into a sizeable 2nd reef pit.
I wasn't so pleasant and let him know it. A year latter I sat beside him at a stubbies dinner function.
That was pretty funny.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 11:43pm

Christ I'd like to know the full no-holds-barred story behind some of these yarns.

Is Rabbit a dick?
Was he just drunk and mistaken?
Did Evo boink Rabbit's missus?

So many unanswered questions...

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 11:47pm

He was really drunk. A friend of mine tried to introduce me to him and he just lost it.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 11:54pm

Umm, that would've been quite unexpected and probably a little awkward.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 12:10am

Yes I was pretty disappointed when someone you sort of idolise turns out to be a drunken imbecile
its a bit of a let down. Anyway to be honest I always thought he was over rated and I didnt like his style.
Now he got a reason to hit me. Good luck with that.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 12:16am

"Drunken imbecile" haha! Tell us what you really think!

I thought his style was too stiff and upright, not a patch on say, Wayne Lynch who looked so much more fluid.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 1:05am

Wayne Lynch late 90's , semi secret beach ( was then ) .....only Two of us out . Wasn't heavy thankfully , and I just figured I deserved it for daring to surf " his spot " ...... When I say two of us , I mean only two of us in the water I mean there would have been no other human within k's of where we were . He didn't talk the entire time we were out there 2-3 hrs sitting on the same peak . Kind of suited me ....
Paul Donda ( sparticus ) - NW reef . Heavy barrel , I pretty much tried to dive on the back of his board in the pit .... A few quiet words , I went in ...... ( was a pretty skinny kid at the time ) .
Some Brazillion ( who really knows their pro's ) , on what would have been the wave of my life at Deserts .... Nearly ended my life by the time I got washed to the cliff ...... macking swell ( same as damon's famous cow bombie swell )

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 1:16am

G.land quite good 8ft speedys, tom carroll jumps off jetski as set comes in , cant be fucked waiting in the water he just hangs on jetski ,he knows I have it in my sights but says "wattya reckon camel ! & goes it . Im a bit intimidated & dont take up the offer to share tandem style with him . All of the quicksilver gang there & cameras out , he did this at least 3 times . It maybe one of the biggest regrets ever that I didn't go with him . Mc cabe & lopes were absolute heroes to me idolising their shared rides at g.land ..... a few yrs later I got another chance at ulus with pete mc cabe & we shared a crisscross ride but the wave was only 4ft . Far from the opportunity missed with tc , but I live in hope . I really like sharing & crossovers when its ok

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 3:35am

You always remember the one you dont go..jmo..

Taco's picture
Taco's picture
Taco Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 8:17am

AndyM its not something im proud of but yeah i sat the arrogant little chipmunk on his arse he was just too big for his little boots that guy and couldnt back it up..Tried to chat up all the boys missuses and was just a little nuisence in the end..And it wasnt the last time i saw someone drop him on his arse in surfers around then too so i guess it wasnt just me.

Caml no mate im just your everyday garden variety Taco

I remember paddling out to fairly solid,but windswept cabas with a two time aussie chsmp late one afternoon.And he didnt mind staring towards coolangatta and nowhere else.Mind you i was that ripped on his cricket ball of morrocan that i was talking to imaginary dolphins anyway

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 8:26am

Ok thanks taco for clearing that up about which taco

Taco's picture
Taco's picture
Taco Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 8:32am

No probs caml..think met the taco you mean in indo somewhere once..big wave surfer from WA..seemed like a good fella

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 9:35am

Good one Stu, nothing like smashing a mate! My list goes something like Terry Fitz, no grudges there! Midget Farrelly, well it was his home break and I had had a few more waves than he had so yeh, all good. Michael Petersen, well he was warming up for a Bells heat, so no drama, plus he actually apologised and explained himself. Shaun Tomson, inexcusable, pathetic attempt at an explanation, bastard better watch out if he ever shares a line up with me again. PC, we did it to each other all the time to practise go behinds. Probably others but lost in the mists of time.

tworules's picture
tworules's picture
tworules Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 9:51am

as long as the outside person doesn't cutback and the waves have room to move, lets go!

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 10:56am

'I dropped in on a good mate of mine at a heavy wave in the desert'

Ha that place don't even get heavy!!! Its nuthin!!! Plus brokey soufle stitched it up without getting wet! Well he was a bit young and intimidated in one version... hey hang on, but that wuz the era when he was sitting out on his own, with just Lynchy, at a super heavy sharky isolated spot... thats the web, the net!!!

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 11:08am

Wasn't done to me, but I've watched Jamie Obrian burn guys switch foot at 6-8ft speedies. While they've been in the tube of their lives possibly. Amasing surfer and great to watch but there's no excuse for that

weak man's picture
weak man's picture
weak man Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 11:48am

I accidentally dropped in on Pat Rafter at Granite a few years ago, not for long, I kicked off when I saw him make the section. He's a reasonable surfer and all of his mates were there. I felt real small, I told my mum and she was real cross as she thinks Pats a legend, so I got a double serve.....

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 12:16pm

I watched my brother burn Pauline Menczer at Bell's once.

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 12:45pm

I think I,ve mentioned this before but I,ve ridden waves behind Jake Paterson from cottesloe beach to sunset beach and several times around the south west over a 35 year period , such a self centred wanker, I have never bought a single quiksilver product as a result, the "dingo" of WA for sure. Love to see him flying the "Margs Local" flag when the tour or other promotion machine comes to town considering the only time he surfs around here is in a heat -ever (Taj kind of lays the same claim too) yallingup is 50kms away ladies. Would someone from the gold coast be considered a "local son" at Byron Bay or Lennox?

Taco's picture
Taco's picture
Taco Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 12:48pm

He probably thought Pauline was a bloke..mistakes happen

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 12:59pm
weak man wrote:

I accidentally dropped in on Pat Rafter at Granite a few years ago, not for long, I kicked off when I saw him make the section. He's a reasonable surfer and all of his mates were there. I felt real small, I told my mum and she was real cross as she thinks Pats a legend, so I got a double serve.....

Don't feel bad weakman, I legitimately took a wave that he fancied a few years ago and he actually started to threaten me along the lines of " if you do that again......" . He was a pretty rank kook at that stage so I gave him three varieties of curry for the rest of the session.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 1:02pm

Well BB, Pat may not have been an Aussie then. You would have served curry to a Bermudan. You minimised his wave choice while he minimised his tax.

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 1:02pm

My brother blatantly burned John Riddell at 'macking' Middleton once. Mr Riddell subsequently wanted to kill him. Funny stuff hearing him lose his shit in those dulcet tones.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/sa/a/8699626/john-riddell/

Taco's picture
Taco's picture
Taco Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 1:13pm

Terry fitz,midget,mp and shaun thomson..Theres a pretty decent list BB..

Spose ive been lucky its always been over sand myself..but closing someone down at 6-8ft G land or any reef break is just plain stupid if you ask me..Wonder how they would feel if it ended up seriously injuring someone,or dare i say it ending someones life because of their ego and greed..

Pats old tennis mate thomas munster is a fair old serial pest arounf noosa and sunshine ive heard too..ploughing through line ups on his 10 ft mal..Stupid cunt can hardly get to his feet but because hes filthyrich and roots jo beth taylor its fair game.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 1:15pm

Pauline Menczer dropped in on me (and several others) at Crescent the year she won the Bells comp, bless her little cotton socks.

Coops70's picture
Coops70's picture
Coops70 Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 1:30pm

Snake Patterson yep I agree used to surf around cott and swanny when he was a grom, his brother ant man was way better than him. Don't understand the down south local bit either he grew up in Perth like the rest of us.

Shatner'sBassoon Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 3:25pm

I don't know if this technically qualifies but a mate of ours went out at micro Bells on an old log sans legrope, subsequently lost his board on a tiddler, and it cleaned up Damien Oliver, the jockey, in the shorey big-time. I think he may have been knocked out and taken to hospital.

This same mate also scored the cover of the 'surfer's bible' once. A shot of him burning a dude at North Point. They even had a little comp of sorts in the mag to determine who he was.

Both times he copped it from all & sundry...especially us!

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 3:31pm

A mate of mine burned Lynette MacKenzie once. Carpet burned.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 3:54pm

I've been fortunate enough to be burnt by 4 World champions, two of which used the old "do you know who I am " when challenged about it.
Nat Young at Lennox point and Barton Lynch at The Pass, both were quick to ask if I knew who they were and to both I replied that I didn't and should it make any difference if I did. No comeback from either!
TC, at Lennox Point also, but he did apologise and laugh when I asked him if he thought he was Tom Carroll or something .
Last but not least was Wendy Botha a long time ago at Lennox beach.
So 4 world champs is kinda refreshing in that, at least they must have been ok waves I was on, for all 4 of them to wanna burn me!

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 4:10pm

Yeah Nats name keeps getting a mention and heres another.Was surfing Spookies on my own years ago and i could see nat and a couple of others coming out so i had had enough and i know what a prick he is in the water so decided to go in only for him to turn around and blatantly fade me on my wave in,couldnt help himself,sorry didnt see ya...hahahhahhh karma caught up with old mate Nat not long after.

Taco's picture
Taco's picture
Taco Sunday, 31 Jan 2016 at 4:17pm

The words Barton Lynch and world champion just doesnt sound right to me..Wily old competitor but geez..I wonder if the tour in the 80's had of been surfed at the same waves as now wether the history books would show a very different story?.I reckon Kong would of got at least one..