Making a Murderer

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Thursday, 14 Jan 2016 at 8:08am

Having never been much of a TV person, I've surprised myself and have been recently enjoying some great web series created for Netflix (Narcos, Bloodlines, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black etc). 

The latest one is Making a Murderer - it's only been out for a few weeks - and it's fascinating look at a guy in the USA who spent 18 years in jail for a crime he didn't commit (sexual assault and attempted murder - he was exonerated by DNA). But a couple of years after he was released, he's arrested and convicted of the murder of a local girl. His nephew was also arrested and convicted. 

The series has incredible footage from the trial, but more importantly the police investigations and interviews which led to the convictions, plus in-the-moment interviews with just about everyone. It's a real insight at the US legal system and how venerable people can be manipulated to say the things someone wants them to say. Well worth checking out (you will need a Netflix account though).

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 2 Sep 2017 at 6:49am

Nah, but my wife loves it and has been asking me to get up to speed.

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Monday, 4 Sep 2017 at 10:31am

It's a few years old now but if you haven't seen it I strongly recommend True Detective. It's only 1 season too so its not a life long commitment. Best one I've seen in years.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Monday, 4 Sep 2017 at 2:12pm

The Handmaid's Tale.

Brutal!

Chixdiggit!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 4 Sep 2017 at 2:24pm

The Handmaid's tale: an anaolgy to life under Trump, or is that an overreach?

Methinks more the latter, but jeezarz...if it isn't a fantastic premise. Know it was written thirty-odd years ago, but scenes such as the US refugees escaping to Canada are sweet inversion of reality.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 4 Sep 2017 at 2:27pm

Horace & Pete.

Love the way it was filmed, the dialogue, ideas etc...but couldn't get past episode six.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 4 Sep 2017 at 2:39pm

Netflix is starting to seem a bit limited.

Where's True Detectives to be found ?

Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799's picture
Gaz1799 Monday, 4 Sep 2017 at 2:45pm

Solar movies has it, that's where I'd stream it. The first season is epic. I haven't seen nor heard good tales about the second season however as it has a different cast.

https://solarmoviez.to/search/true+detective.html

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Monday, 4 Sep 2017 at 5:55pm

Season two is on Netflix

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 3 Oct 2017 at 9:01am

Not a fictional series, but a ten part doco series, Abandoned is worth a watch. Skater Rick McCrank visits the places capitalism forgot, old nuclear reactors, abandoned fishing towns, rundown factories, meets with the people who still live there, gives a short history - never heavy handed - and skates the forgotten terrain.

Clues to the understated but impeccable cinematography are given in the credits ("executive producer Spike Jonze") and the music is spot on. Made by Vice, available on SBS On Demand.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 6 Dec 2017 at 4:33pm

Right, finished Godless not that long ago.

What's next ?

amb's picture
amb's picture
amb Wednesday, 6 Dec 2017 at 6:15pm

if your after another western "hatfield and mccoys" on Netflix..not as good as GodLess..but wortha watch

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 21 Oct 2018 at 7:37am

Halfway through the second season of Making a Murderer. Absolutely incredible.... worth the price of the Netflix subscription alone.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 21 Oct 2018 at 8:07am

Is there a new season?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 21 Oct 2018 at 8:14am

Yep, was released Friday night. 

The entire case is mind blowing. I'm up to Episode 8.. can't wait to see how it finishes (trying hard not to Google where things are at real time, though having seen snippets of news over the last few years, I have a vague idea).

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 21 Oct 2018 at 8:28am

Cool..yeah the last one was good.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 8 Nov 2018 at 7:13pm

Rightio , gents .

What have you got to recommend on Netflix now ?

Appreciating the tips so far. Had a few epic binge sessions.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Thursday, 8 Nov 2018 at 8:48pm

For something a bit more out of this world I can recommend Lost in Space, and Star Trek Discovery.

For something down to Earth try Ozark and Animal Kingdom.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Friday, 9 Nov 2018 at 10:43am

Cosmos - A Spacetime Odyssey is pretty damn awesome.

Stranger Things is slow to start but keeps on giving.

Sense 8 is really good in a weird kind of way - Created by the Wachowski sisters who both used to be the brothers who created The Matrix movies.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Monday, 12 Nov 2018 at 4:30pm

Just finished Season 6 of House of Cards - Got to the end of Episode 8 not realising that it was the last episode. The whole season 6 was a bit of let down really.

Never fear, I'm onto Peaky Blinders which is excellent.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Tuesday, 20 Nov 2018 at 3:27pm

What's next? Open to suggestions.

I have just finished binge-ing on Peaky Blinders. The Peaky 'fuckin' Blinders! Great series so far.

Also just watched Narcos Mexico.
Love a bit of doco mixed in with a bit of narration, mixed in with some historical context. Does anyone else think Mexcian women are like walking chilli's? I thought I liked blondes, but......

factotum's picture
factotum's picture
factotum Tuesday, 20 Nov 2018 at 3:41pm

Snowfall.

Atlanta.

Mr Mercedes.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Tuesday, 20 Nov 2018 at 3:50pm

Cheers Facto, those should keep me going.

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Wednesday, 21 Nov 2018 at 5:00pm

Facto, just found out that none of those 3 are available on aussie Netflix.

Twichy's picture
Twichy's picture
Twichy Friday, 23 Nov 2018 at 9:03pm

Check out The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Brilliant