Making a Murderer

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Thursday, 14 Jan 2016 at 8:08am

Having never been much of a TV person, I've surprised myself and have been recently enjoying some great web series created for Netflix (Narcos, Bloodlines, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black etc). 

The latest one is Making a Murderer - it's only been out for a few weeks - and it's fascinating look at a guy in the USA who spent 18 years in jail for a crime he didn't commit (sexual assault and attempted murder - he was exonerated by DNA). But a couple of years after he was released, he's arrested and convicted of the murder of a local girl. His nephew was also arrested and convicted. 

The series has incredible footage from the trial, but more importantly the police investigations and interviews which led to the convictions, plus in-the-moment interviews with just about everyone. It's a real insight at the US legal system and how venerable people can be manipulated to say the things someone wants them to say. Well worth checking out (you will need a Netflix account though).

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 14 Jan 2016 at 8:10am
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 14 Jan 2016 at 8:46am

Is Netflix coming on board as an advertising sponsor?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 14 Jan 2016 at 8:50am

Not that I'm aware of (and I'm a fully paid subscriber too). Just found the show really interesting.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 14 Jan 2016 at 9:11am

Us regular surf bums make technology our friend. We set up dummy e-mail accounts and sign up with a prepaid credit card with no credit left on it ... Then at the end of the month free trial, we cancel that account, and sign up again with a new dummy e-mail account.

Saves $15 a month that can be directed toward buying wax, or a six pack.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 14 Jan 2016 at 9:18am

Really? I can't be arsed. $11 per month is good value I reckon. That and Spotify and I'm sorted. 

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Thursday, 14 Jan 2016 at 9:40am

Watched the first ep on utube last night and eager to the see the rest. Would almost consider getting netflix to watch it.

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Thursday, 14 Jan 2016 at 9:41am

You need pretty much unlimited internet to use netflex don't you? right into house of cards , true detective. Favourite is the U.S. version of shameless. :)

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 14 Jan 2016 at 10:45am
carpetman wrote:

Watched the first ep on utube last night and eager to the see the rest. Would almost consider getting netflix to watch it.

I initially got it so my wife could watch movies. But after the first episode of Narcos I would have happily subscribed just to see that series... amazing. Check out Bloodlines too, Ben Mendelsohn is amazing.

Making a Murderer will make you so mad though! Just unbelievable how the judicial process plays out... and it's a real story too.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 14 Jan 2016 at 10:47am
crustt wrote:

You need pretty much unlimited internet to use netflex don't you?

Yeah you'd need a pretty big account. Haven't looked at how much I'm streaming but I imagine it's quite a bit. I've had poor internet speeds at home for the last month or so (mainly due to the Xmas period congestion) so when it's slow you can't watch anything.

Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters's picture
Robin Masters Thursday, 14 Jan 2016 at 10:49am

One bummer though. I was in transit in Medan overnight in October on the way to The Banyaks... Netflix wouldn't let me watch anything while I was in Indo! On a positive note, the wifi in Medan airport is awesome so downloading a movie on iTunes takes about five minutes

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 14 Jan 2016 at 12:57pm

"Orange is the New Black" Uuuummmm. Watched the first few episodes but could not gel with that one Ben! I suppose some take awhile to get into, as I've witnessed and upon other's who don't like some but like others..........IMPO.....
Haven't watched "House of Cards", liked the first season of "True Detective" very well done, good actors.
"Hannibal" freaked me right out, was not into that at all.

There's a few good ol western ones out there I liked but can't think off hand which they were. as all of the TV series it's good to watch 2-3 in a row, then you get into a groove and don't want to stop, very addictive;)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 14 Jan 2016 at 1:00pm

I must saying posting on a thread like this must get ASIO interested, especially the topic????????

I'm not one so don't worry big brother!

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 14 Jan 2016 at 1:01pm
thermalben wrote:

... I've had poor internet speeds at home for the last month or so (mainly due to the Xmas period congestion) so when it's slow you can't watch anything.

Really?

Haven't had an issue here, and that's with at times Netflix streaming something different to three different screens. No lag issues either, just streams nicely.

We're with Bigpond, with 200Gb per month and have never gone close to exceeding the data limit. We get the fastest ADSL speed we can in this area. Would be great to get ADSL2, but that's just not possible here due to the Telstra exchanges.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 14 Jan 2016 at 1:12pm

Yeah terrible here (exchange is being upgraded to ADSl2+ on April 30th), due to the region being ADSL1, and massively oversubscribed.

I'm online half an hour before sunrise every morning, and it's workable then, but slows rapidly as the sun comes up (and everyone wakes up, and checks FB and streams videos). Internet speeds then tend to improve from 9am onwards but slow again around 4pm once the kids come home from school. Then it improves again from about 8pm as people start to go to bed.

I've spoken at length with many service technicians and Telstra Wholesale (I know quite a few locally as I've built Swellnet's surfcam network over the last ten years) and they confirm the basis for what I'm seeing.

But check your local RIM/CMUX unit (i.e. streetside green box, about 4-5' tall) and you'll notice it received a 'TopHat' upgrade about a month ago (additional green box, 'bout 1ft high, on top) which is the hardware side of the ADSL2+ upgrade. Shame they weren't upgrading to NBN Fibre... that'll be four or five years away I reckon.

Anyway, main problem of late was due to the holiday period - I presumed it was the massive influx of holiday tourists, and their internet consumption. Netflix is streaming fine at night now though - it improved a thousand percent over the weekend (which is when the bulk of the tourists left). Speeds are only 6MB down but it's better than the dial-up equivalent I had for the Xmas/New Year period.

nochaser's picture
nochaser's picture
nochaser Thursday, 14 Jan 2016 at 2:13pm

Great documentary. He has just got the services of a hot shot lawyer and the innocence program has taken his case on again. Too many what if's for my liking...corrupt. He has already done 18 yrs for something he didn't do FFS

Get 'unblockus' and you can use any Netflix in the whole world. 5-6 clams a month.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 14 Jan 2016 at 9:42pm

A little off topic but be interested to know what sort of internet speeds you guys are getting down in Oz? You can do speedtest.net to find out.

I'm not computer savvy but I quickly did a test just then it's about 7:30pm here so guessing the traffic would be pretty high. My results were 14ms ping (whatever that means) 93Mbps download speed and 94Mbps upload speed. How does that compare to back home?

I'm on a pretty standard internet plan, runs about $60 a month.

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 14 Jan 2016 at 9:46pm
thermalben wrote:

... check your local RIM/CMUX unit (i.e. streetside green box, about 4-5' tall) and you'll notice it received a 'TopHat' upgrade about a month ago (additional green box, 'bout 1ft high, on top) ...

Not around here, she's all underground, good 'ole fashion pits... no green boxes. All our lines run up the hill to a sub station type thing, that then links with the local exchange near the servo.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 14 Jan 2016 at 10:13pm

What is the go with Spotify ?

Can you listen to the music offline ?

Is there much obscure Aussie content ?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 14 Jan 2016 at 10:52pm

Zen just did a speed test with our Telstra BroadBand from my MacBookPro.

Results 26ms Ping

2.96Mbps Download speed.

0.73Mbps Upload speed.

Would not have a clue, as I'm not on Netflix so I don't stream stuff to watch.

Hope this gives you a comparison.

Did you get a few face shots the last few days?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 14 Jan 2016 at 10:56pm
Blowin wrote:

What is the go with Spotify ?

Can you listen to the music offline ?

Is there much obscure Aussie content ?

Can't help you out Blowin.

Soundcloud is what I have been using, there are various others out there depending on what genre of music.!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 14 Jan 2016 at 11:09pm

Wow Welly, don't really know what that means but seems like internet is really slow back home.

No face shots, shitty, icy but nice to get away with my lady.

Good snow and cold temps forecast for next week (finally).

Never have any probs streaming stuff here day or night.

Balance's picture
Balance's picture
Balance Sunday, 17 Jan 2016 at 5:47pm
thermalben wrote:

Having never been much of a TV person, I've surprised myself and have been recently enjoying some great web series created for Netflix (Narcos, Bloodlines, House of Cards, Orange is the New Black etc). 

The latest one is Making a Murderer - it's only been out for a few weeks - and it's fascinating look at a guy in the USA who spent 18 years in jail for a crime he didn't commit (sexual assault and attempted murder - he was exonerated by DNA). But a couple of years after he was released, he's arrested and convicted of the murder of a local girl. His nephew was also arrested and convicted. 

The series has incredible footage from the trial, but more importantly the police investigations and interviews which led to the convictions, plus in-the-moment interviews with just about everyone. It's a real insight at the US legal system and how venerable people can be manipulated to say the things someone wants them to say. Well worth checking out (you will need a Netflix account though).

Good show, thanks for the scoop

did you get that line, me and the boys had a good laugh at it...when talking about conflicting evidence

"it was alleged the attacker wore white underwear...Avery didnt even own any underwear!"

roubydouby's picture
roubydouby's picture
roubydouby Sunday, 17 Jan 2016 at 7:56pm

I got a good chuckle out of that line, Balance.
Bloody riveting show - I watched the first 8 eps all in one slothful sitting.
It's the next step up from Serial.

*SPOILERS BELOW**

Still on the fence about his guilt... Especially with no EDTA being found in the blood - That was the make or break point in the case. Though why you'd be stupid enough to leave the car and the key on your property is beyond me... and those cops, man they came across as reprehensible during the deposition tapes. And that poor bloody Nephew... he'd confess to being a Spice Girl if you pushed him hard enough.

Still... seems like there was enough reasonable doubt to get him off.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 17 Jan 2016 at 8:00pm

Agree 100%. He's a dubious fella (then again who wouldn't be after 18 years of false imprisonmemt!) - but the court is supposed to prove beyond reasonable doubt. And they didn't do that at all.

dunsta76's picture
dunsta76's picture
dunsta76 Sunday, 17 Jan 2016 at 8:13pm

Don't know if it's on Netflix or not, but judging from some the shows you guys seem to enjoy, checkout Black Mirror. It's a British series, each episode is unique/distinct from the others. I guess the name might come from holding up a mirror to society, the darker side. I've recommended it to a few people but no one has picked up on it yet. I'd know if they had, cause you can't keep quiet about a show like that.

roubydouby's picture
roubydouby's picture
roubydouby Sunday, 17 Jan 2016 at 9:03pm

Ha, Dunsta, Black mirror is awesome. You gotta digest each episode afterwards.
Really liked the one where people ride the bikes for credits and the guy loses it on the x-factor show, then they turn that into a show. Pretty heavy social commentary.

And Ben, going back to Making a Murderer, It's hard to know how the jurors would have perceived it - they didn't show everything from the trial, and we had the luxury of having it foreshadowed by episodes painting Avery in a good light and down playing the other things he did. That, as well as making the cops look evil as. But if the jurors didn't have that, well it might have seemed heaps different.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 17 Jan 2016 at 9:23pm

Wow, just watched the first episode of Black Mirror. Charlie Brooker is one of my favourite comedians.. No surprises he was behind it! Still coming to terms with what I just watched though... Bloody hell! Will watch a few more for sure.

RD - yeah I know the MAM series was a little one sided, but no matter what other evidence was left out, the actions of the police were unbelievable. That alone should have been enough to void the prosecution's case.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 18 Jan 2016 at 7:24am

Hey Ben i watched most of Making a Murderer and then looked up wiki.....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Making_a_Murderer another perspective of what netflix will do to make a show.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 18 Jan 2016 at 7:46am

Looks like the Wiki page has been updated many times in the last week (the "Response by ex-fiancée" and some of the "Response by prosecution" were not there when I first looked).

You gotta admit that the conduct of the Manitowoc police was pretty bad... the interview footage (particularly that of his nephew Brendan Dassey) was incredible. I find it hard to believe that such evidence didn't garner more weight in both murder trials.

simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 18 Jan 2016 at 2:30pm

Yeah Ben, i think they probably had it in for him,maybe cause they knew he was trouble but they cant be forgiven for pinning it on him and knowing the other guy was still out there raping .By the way another good show on netflix is called The Fall, couldnt stop watching it, so well done.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 18 Jan 2016 at 3:01pm

Thanks Simba - I'll check out The Fall when I can. Gotta get through the rest of the Black Mirror first - I'm turning into a TV junkie!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 5 Feb 2016 at 9:08am

Wow, Black Mirror is incredible. Not surprising given Charlie Brooker is behind it, but it's kinda creepy too when you realise we're rapidly transitioning towards a world where these things are the norm. 

Can't recommend it highly enough. Only one of the episodes didn't quite hit the mark (ironically, the one where I told my wife "you have gotta watch this!"). The other six were amazing. And freaky.

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 5 Feb 2016 at 11:40am

Charlie Brooker is a funny bastard and a great writer.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 12 Feb 2016 at 9:22pm

Just finished the House of Cards series. Season 1 was amazing, Season 2 was very good and Season 3 was a little patchy but became quite good at the end. Looking forward to Season 4.

Just kicked off with Homeland.. Looks interesting.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 4:33pm

Been watching this, this week pretty crazy shit.

No need for Netflix it's on "popcorn time" totally free, been using it for years, no pop ups or viruses and heaps of stuff on there and regularly updated.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 4:34pm

In the middle of Suits at the moment (Series 3, mid-binge!). Enjoying it immensely. 

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 4:41pm

Ben, have you watched the Jinx mini series? Highly recommend, like a video version of the podcast serial.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 5:03pm

No I haven't! I'll put it on the list. Thanks CM.

Purplepills's picture
Purplepills's picture
Purplepills Friday, 15 Apr 2016 at 9:56pm

Ben Suits was good at first but becomes melodramatic in later seasons.

Damages is good but not sure if it's on Aust Netflix

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 13 Aug 2016 at 10:31am

A US judge in the state of Wisconsin has ordered the release from prison of Brendan Dassey, who was featured along with his uncle in the Netflix documentary series 'Making a Murderer'.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/08/13/us-judge-overturns-convict...

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 9 Sep 2016 at 10:19am

Just finished Season 2 of Narcos. What an awesome show! Very brutal but such a compelling story.

kaiser's picture
kaiser's picture
kaiser Friday, 9 Sep 2016 at 10:29am

I just read 'Killing Pablo' which deals with generally the same content. Was a pretty good book. I'm not really a tele series watcher (actually not much of a reader, either), but it piqued my interest and I started watching Narcos last night. Was surreal as they introduced the characters and I knew what was in store for each of them. Will persevere with it and see how it goes

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 9 Sep 2016 at 10:47am

Love the way they insert actual footage and images of the real characters throughout the series.

And they've been meticulous at recreating many of the scenes as to what's in the public domain. 

Casting is fantastic too.

kaiser's picture
kaiser's picture
kaiser Friday, 9 Sep 2016 at 12:02pm

The Escobar and Medellin Cartel story is a good yarn. Couple of intriguing parts of the story: the 'jail' he was put in (which he built) when he surrendered, and the way he stayed on the run for so long despite the efforts of so many. Some of the antics resulting from his excesses are pretty funny too. Looking forward to seeing it play out on the screen.

Making a Murderer is the only other series I've watched in the last 5 years and I liked that a lot, so I'll trust your judgement on this one

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 9 Sep 2016 at 12:37pm

If you needed any more convincing, have a read of this:

http://www.vox.com/2015/10/21/9571295/narcos-pablo-escobar-colombia

inzider's picture
inzider's picture
inzider Friday, 9 Sep 2016 at 12:46pm

Narcos is a good watch.

Fargo season 1 is good and season 2 two is real good

But "peaky Blinders" is the best show out there at the moment.

saltman's picture
saltman's picture
saltman Monday, 12 Sep 2016 at 9:24am

Agree with all the above
Binged on True detective a few weeks ago - the first season in a few days

Is The Jinx on Netflix ?? - it is a must watch
Then there is the doco on the West Memphis Three.
3 teenagers charged with murdering 2 children (don't bother with the movie version Blood Knot)

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Tuesday, 13 Sep 2016 at 5:44am

Have been trying to get into the Wire lately. some say it was better than breaking bad.
As far as im enjoying it it hasnt hooked me in like breaking bad did. (watched up to season 3 in a few days)Even Vikings hooked me in more.Still a good show though and im only up to episode 8 season 1.
Loved Narcos. Im waiting till i move to a non internet remote area soon to watch season 2, have it at the ready.
I liked what little i watched of Peaky blinders. Might get into that one.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 1 Sep 2017 at 5:59pm

Got a six pack of Tooheys Old chilling in preparation for Season 3 of Narcos this evening. Can't wait!

Been enjoying Shooter too. A bit formulaic but it's pretty good at creating suspense. 

MRsinglefin's picture
MRsinglefin's picture
MRsinglefin Saturday, 2 Sep 2017 at 6:41am

Have you checked out Animal Kingdom ?