Beach Safety Rating

raku's picture
raku started the topic in Thursday, 10 Dec 2015 at 2:13pm

Does anyone know how a Beach Safety Rating is measured and by whom? I am referring to the https://beachsafe.org.au website. Cheers

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 10 Dec 2015 at 3:32pm

That's Surf Lifesaving Australia who run that website, the daily ratings would be done by the on-site lifeguards.

raku's picture
raku's picture
raku Thursday, 10 Dec 2015 at 3:58pm

Ben I was particularly interested in the General Beach Hazard Rating as I feel these are not 100% accurate. For instance Goolwa Beach has a hazard rating of 8/10 whereas other beaches have a lower rating despite being more hazardous in my opinion. Whilst this may seem trivial the local SLSC are using this rating to convince local councilors to build an over the top clubhouse in the dune system. I don't have a problem with the beach having a SLSC I just don't see the need to build in the dune system which has been well maintained by the local coast care group. Hence I was querying the parameters the website use for the general beach hazard rating

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Thursday, 10 Dec 2015 at 4:46pm

Hi Raku,

I think the Australian Beach Safety & Management Program are responsible for the majority of info within the beachsafe website.

There are older hardcopy publications of the beach catalogue. You may be able to find pdf copies on the internet

raku's picture
raku's picture
raku Thursday, 10 Dec 2015 at 5:30pm

Thanks carpetman. Some interesting stuff on their website.