~ Istana Ombak ~ Java

udo's picture
udo started the topic in Tuesday, 29 Sep 2015 at 6:17pm

Istana Ombak surf camp Pacitan Java

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 29 Sep 2015 at 6:18pm

Looking for some reviews , anyone been ?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 29 Sep 2015 at 6:38pm

Stayed in the village for two weeks last year Udo. Not at the surf camp though, with a local family. Had a look in the camp and talked to a few guys staying there.. Looks nice but from memory it's super pricey and not really necessary to pay that much when there are numerous clean, friendly home stays in the village for around a tenth of the price.
That's just my opinion though..

eel's picture
eel's picture
eel Tuesday, 29 Sep 2015 at 7:59pm

How was the surf goofy? Consistent? left more so than the right? And is the only way to get there flying in to bali/jakarta then a flight to yogykarta then a long drive?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 29 Sep 2015 at 9:03pm

Yeah it was consistent, plenty of swell. Left was better than the right most days. It didn't take much to get crowded though, and lots of hassly European boogiboarders who were ficken annoying to surf with.
But in saying that you could get some great barrels on the right ones, and it's a cool place to hire a bike and go cruising around looking for other waves.
We got cheap flight to kl so we flew there first then to Yogyakarta then drove.
Good spear fishing too

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Wednesday, 30 Sep 2015 at 10:12am

I've lurked around there for a few years now. Pretty consistent.. but I've seen heaps of blokes rock up there for a week and never get it above shoulder high, and others who didn't surf once because it didn't drop below six foot. Time it right (and get lucky with crowds) and you will have a great time. Even in slow periods it is a nice place to just chill out and enjoy Java. Istana Ombak is expensive, but I've poked my head in to see them eating two lobsters each at dinner... The local homestays are fine, and the 'Jungle Homestay' is good too. Spearfishing is great too!

That said, my jaded eyes sees it as over-hyped and too crowded for what it is. It is not really the sort of place you want to be pressured into taking a mutant wave. I reckon there are 4 Go-Pros to every surfer in the water, which kind of explains why some people get aggressive for waves. Last season I saw two blokes hit the reef head first... very ugly. If you have a helmet, definitely take it.

blow-in-9999's picture
blow-in-9999's picture
blow-in-9999 Thursday, 1 Oct 2015 at 1:10am

Dan & Goofy, I imagine its still mostly lids? Looks very crowed in current footage sadly (20+ on the left)...

I can see why you get lots of lids there -- much better opportunity for airs than most of indo.