How'd you choose your username?

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Friday, 31 Jul 2015 at 3:02pm

Jeez it's great to see the inventiveness on the Swellnet forums, with regards to usernames. I'd love to hear how people came up with their monikers (or had it made for 'em!).

Mine's pretty boring. After I started looking at weather charts online back in '98, I eventually found the weather forums on ski.com.au, and then the Weatherzone's forums, both of which I ended up spending a lot of time.

I initially registered with a boring username ('br', which was the acronym for an old nickname), so I quickly changed it to thermalben. At the time I'd been reading an article on thermodynamics, so I cobbled the username together and it's stuck ever since.

Anyone else?

Balance's picture
Balance's picture
Balance Monday, 10 Aug 2015 at 3:24pm
Blowin wrote:

I'm that tool wearing the Mad Huey's shirt and the gold chain heckling people at the Snapper Rocks jump rock.

I'm the bloke in the torn Rip Curl Dawn Patrol steamer circa 1984 giving you stink eye if you even think of paddling around me on my 8' board at head high Mainbreak Marg's .

I'm telling the loudest stories about the biggest sharks whilst lasciviously staring at your missus from the other side of the campfire at Cactus.

I'm covered in tattoos and wearing a Parkway Dive hoody and sizing up your belongings and watching where you stow the key to your car as you get ready to surf the pass.

I'm standing drunk in the car park at Jakes telling you that it was bigger/ hollower/ less crowded and out of your league ten years ago.

I'm the fella with the slick haircut, the $800 wetsuit and the Geelong plates on my BMW that keeps burning you from the shoulder at Winkipop.

I moved there two weeks earlier.

You have met me many, many times.

I am the Blowin.....And I'm coming to your town.

now i dont wish to nit-pick...but technically...you really should be blow-in...at the moment you are really just what the wind does...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 10 Aug 2015 at 3:30pm

Yeah cheers Balance, I appreciate the input.

But don't for a second forget that I know where you live.....

finback's picture
finback's picture
finback Monday, 10 Aug 2015 at 5:42pm

When I moved up to Yamba country (2001) local cane farmers told me the story about first seeing surfers in the 60's with objects on the roof with a shark like fin on the back. They started calling them finbacks. They also told me how when they had to burn the cane all these finbacks (70's now) would turn up at all hours and run into the sugar cane fields !!!!!!!!!! and run back out with other plants.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 10 Aug 2015 at 6:07pm

CLASSIC , fb .
blowin , that's outright plagiarism .
I've already been on this site telling everyone , everywhere , that i am everywhere , everyone but at the very same time a know - one . ;-)
But we really know that we are both in the South West taking off behind the Rocks .!

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Monday, 10 Aug 2015 at 7:56pm
finback wrote:

When I moved up to Yamba country (2001) local cane farmers told me the story about first seeing surfers in the 60's with objects on the roof with a shark like fin on the back. They started calling them finbacks. They also told me how when they had to burn the cane all these finbacks (70's now) would turn up at all hours and run into the sugar cane fields !!!!!!!!!! and run back out with other plants.

That has to be the best so far, awesome;)

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 10 Aug 2015 at 8:02pm

Last name Shore, and these words are my dump.

no-eye-deer's picture
no-eye-deer's picture
no-eye-deer Monday, 10 Aug 2015 at 8:04pm

I had no idea what to call myself.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 10 Aug 2015 at 10:53pm
southey wrote:

CLASSIC , fb .
I've already been on this site telling everyone , everywhere , that i am everywhere , everyone but at the very same time a know - one . ;-)
But we really know that we are both in the South West taking off behind the Rocks .!

Holy shit Southy.....that just clicked with me as I was staring slack - jawed at the wall of another anonymous hotel room trying to determine just what the shape of a suspicious looking water stain reminded me of.

At least I hope it's a water stain.

Anyway...nice sleuthing , but I'm not even a part timer there, mate.

Beautiful spot though. Nice people. They know what they've got and look after it.

PS. Foghorn Leghorn.

The "water" stain is a dead ringer for Foghorn Leghorn.

In case you were curious.

Ramazan's picture
Ramazan's picture
Ramazan Monday, 10 Aug 2015 at 11:56pm

Ramazan was on my first board, a twin fin i got for my 11th birthday, November 71! That makes me an old fart. Hey there's a user name.

It was home made, I think it came from around Belrose, Syd. Probably not many twinnys around then

Bloody thing came down on my head one day and nearly took my ear off.

Hopefully there is a photo here

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Tuesday, 11 Aug 2015 at 1:05am
Blowin wrote:
southey wrote:

CLASSIC , fb .

Holy shit Southy.....that just clicked with me as I was staring slack - jawed at the wall of another anonymous hotel room trying to determine just what the shape of a suspicious looking water stain reminded me of.

At least I hope it's a water stain.

Anyway...nice sleuthing , but I'm not even a part timer there, mate.

Beautiful spot though. Nice people. They know what they've got and look after it.

PS. Foghorn Leghorn.

The "water" stain is a dead ringer for Foghorn Leghorn.

In case you were curious.

" I say , I say I say boi , it's just a joke " .

Yes ' Ol foghorn quite the southerner , I hope sheep dawg isn't reading this and start thinking he is " 'Ol barn yard dawg " .
Besides the SW I speak of , has no jail . But at certain months of the year it can feel like it . ;-) and here my memory betrayed me as I thought you were initially from Newy , when you were residing in Denmark . A fair while North of the Knights with no armour , residing between a strong red , and a cold symptom .
Nice spot .
Not sure on this Staines bloke , maybe you refer to the Naval guy !?

davetherave's picture
davetherave's picture
davetherave Tuesday, 11 Aug 2015 at 7:49am

some classic stuff here. blowin, you have a lot of imitators ( highest form of flattery) and i have seen u out on snapper rocks with russell playing the didge while u play one of those horns that the springboks played at world cup.
love those gold chains and you surfing with all your blowin mates thru the bay on their mals (apologies)
Sheepdog is well named as in high school he used to follow the girls sniffing their bums and rooting their legs when they were menstruating, all the while hiding behind his hippy fringe slobbering with excitement.
mine is self explanatory as it is a cover for my real name and profession which is bullshit artist, got the degree to prove it, but it could easily have been delusion dave.
good thread, nice to feel a bit closer to all the great people who share on here, thanks to all of u, happy surfing.

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Tuesday, 11 Aug 2015 at 8:51am
redsands wrote:

So it gets even more overcrowded.

Its own fault for being such a good wave

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Tuesday, 11 Aug 2015 at 9:05am
finback wrote:

Haha that's classic. Hope you've managed to get a few surfs in down south!

trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet Tuesday, 11 Aug 2015 at 11:19am

Mine came from way back when i used to drink...one night late after a big session on the turps with the missus we were hanging in the kitchen. It was winter so i was wearing a pair of knitted green woolen "bed socks" my german gran knitted me.

So I'm well pissed, sliding around on the kitchen floor boards as ya do, and as my missus thinks I'm a tripper anyway, well i think you can guess what comes next...she starts calling me tripper green feet...this was before the net had really kicked off, forums were barely a thing back then.

So after getting my first internet connection i go to join a forum and usernames i wanted were all taken...light bulb moment...who the fuck is gonna have a username like trippergreenfeet, nobody except me it turns out. That been my tag ever since, and no matter what new forum i join, tgf is always available.

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 11 Aug 2015 at 1:18pm

Tony Barber, please explain...

stanfrance's picture
stanfrance's picture
stanfrance Tuesday, 11 Aug 2015 at 1:34pm

Funny thread guys.

I was hanging out in an outer northern suburb of Perth. My girlfriend and I had just moved there from Adelaide. Anyhow, I was wasting time one day during the week and decided to take my 2 dogs for a ride. To make it more entertaining I chuffed down a number and set off down the back streets, through a side lane and down into the park which ran along the edge of Lake Joondalup.

Me and the dogs cruised up the path for a while enjoying the scenery and started back towards the house as my girl was due back from work. As we hit the main street across the road from the laneway I noticed 2 cops sitting behind a bush with their speed gun pointed down the road in the direction of where my missus was coming from. Cheeky bastards I thought and decided to hand on the side of the road giving them the stink eye.

Obviously they had nothing better to do and the speeding ticket business was slow so they started up the Commodore and drove up next to me.

"What are you doing....and where are your dog leads" they sneered.

Fuck you I thought and jumped on my bike and rode straight down a pretty steep hill towards the lake to give them the slip with the dogs running behind me enjoying the whole thing.

I glanced behind me to see if I had given them the slip only to hear the rev of an engine and see the Commo launching over the hill into the park coming straight at me. I spotted the track ahead and thought I could still give them the slip as it would be too tight for the car so I headed in that direction. It was only a moment later that I noticed my trusty aging Bluey was falling behind and had been overtaken on foot by a running policeman.

At that point I gave up as I couldn't bear seeing my pooch staring out the back window of a cop car being hauled to the station for questioning.

Needless to say they were pretty pissed off when I pulled up and gave me a right bollocking. They asked for my details so being the sneaky guy I was I gave them a false name and address. I still thought the whole thing was pretty funny and was still pretty toasted and to tell the truth wasn't thinking to fast. I made up a street address just around the corner from me and a false name...."Stan France" (my real name being Dan French). Pretty smart I thought....that was until I opened the door about a week later to see the very same cops who had done some very crafty detective work (basically drive down the street looking for some joker and a couple of dogs in the backyard) who promptly issued me with a court notice and a "you can't fool us" stare.

It cost me $450 squid but still provides me with some laughs so all in all it was worth it. On reflection I would have put a bit more thought into providing better false identification details but it did teach me that the police are both efficient and effective at fighting crime and should not be trifled with on any occasion.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 11 Aug 2015 at 1:58pm

Classic story Stanfrance.

helmet-not-hose's picture
helmet-not-hose's picture
helmet-not-hose Tuesday, 11 Aug 2015 at 2:04pm

My old fella got the chop when I was a week old and I've still got my head in the gutter.

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Tuesday, 11 Aug 2015 at 2:42pm

Very original, and highly amusing Tripper, I'd like to think mine was from being smoking hot when I was younger, on fire during middle age and now reduced to ash at past 50. Truth is it's me name, although the last part is probably right.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 11 Aug 2015 at 3:49pm
Ash wrote:

Very original, and highly amusing Tripper, I'd like to think mine was from being smoking hot when I was younger, on fire during middle age and now reduced to ash at past 50. Truth is it's me name, although the last part is probably right.

That is are great analogy ash.

IMO this thread could have been "How did you get your Nickname"
We rarely choose them, they are usually given to us by others:-)

redsands's picture
redsands's picture
redsands Tuesday, 11 Aug 2015 at 8:36pm

Yeah yocal your right.It's a sore spot for me,I miss it but don't bother any more for obvious reasons.

stanfrance's picture
stanfrance's picture
stanfrance Tuesday, 11 Aug 2015 at 9:06pm
Blowin wrote:

Classic story Stanfrance.

One of my finest moments Blowin

saltyone's picture
saltyone's picture
saltyone Friday, 14 Aug 2015 at 11:55pm

pretty self-explanatory .. i do like to sniff my salt encrusted arm n hair after a surf hehe

rh-taxi's picture
rh-taxi's picture
rh-taxi Saturday, 15 Aug 2015 at 10:42am

I was a taxi driver living at rh, not anymore, doing something else now and lost 10kg, and like stunet probably could of thought of something better

rh-taxi's picture
rh-taxi's picture
rh-taxi Saturday, 15 Aug 2015 at 11:05am

I've got a similar story as stanfrance though less colourful and canine regarding giving false i.d. to the police.
I was doing fencing work with this guy in Newcastle circa mid 90's,and we got pulled over in his truck for not wearing seatbelts.
I was a passenger and he wanted i.d. and I didn't have any on me, so in a moment of idiocy I give him a false name, and being a little facist he goes straight back to his car checks it out and comes back all huffy and asks what my real name was, I tell him and the next thing I'm told to get out the truck, I'm put in the back of the cop car taken to the police station and put in a cell.
The cops were also telling me that they might take me to maitland gaol as a windup, talk about no sense of humour, I had to go to court , I think it was $150 fine.
The look on the bosses face when he saw me in the back of the cop car driving off was pretty funny.

manbat's picture
manbat's picture
manbat Sunday, 16 Aug 2015 at 10:46am

Real name is wayne bruce

Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 21 Aug 2015 at 11:02am

what about Nick3? Hang on, the penny has just dropped...Nick Nick Nick!

Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 21 Aug 2015 at 11:07am

Funniest username on here for mine is Dandandan

I'm a pommy comedy tragic

Smurfburger's picture
Smurfburger's picture
Smurfburger Tuesday, 25 Aug 2015 at 11:26am

Because 'Mississippi Goat Equinox' was too long

poo-man's picture
poo-man's picture
poo-man Tuesday, 25 Aug 2015 at 7:51pm

A couple of reasons for mine. When I was a grom and improving quickly the hottest guy at my local beach named me "poo shooter" because he reckoned I had a poo stance. I was of course horrified by that name and did my best to get rid of it and tried hard to change my style and gradually it stopped getting used by others. Then a few years later me and a bunch of mates were hanging around on our local beach break waiting for the tide to come in on a fun right hander. We were about an hour early so mucking around in the sand dunes (west coast nz). One of my mates goes over the back of the dunes for a dump and the rest of my mates make a whole lot of noise while I sneak up behind him while he's halfway through his business. Anyway I get a handful of sand and manage to throw it at his bum while he's got the turtle head half hanging out. Anyway he freaks out and sucks the turtle head back in and given it was covered in sand he gets the full anal grind. My Mates are all cracking up thinking it's hilarious and after a few years of finally getting rid of the poo shooter name, it gets resurrected again.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 10 Sep 2015 at 4:50pm

Bum Acid...............may I ask ?