How big makes you happy?

floyd's picture
floyd started the topic in Wednesday, 3 Jun 2015 at 10:57am

A scroll down the front page of Swellnet this morning shows waves of varying sizes that could usefully be described as stories - single story; double story; and possibly there are some triple story sized waves there also. Well, we Australians presumably can't get enough real estate and house renovation TV shows so maybe there is some link here.

For me waves of this size are of some diminishing amusement (freak) value. Just like the commercially available surf DVDs and short film clips here and elsewhere of pros hitting mechanically perfect waves in all the same way on all the same equipment. Its not what Neil Young means when he yells "Its all one song".

While I appreciate the skill and bravery required to surf monster waves it bears little resemblance to my experience or desire. I'm happy in surf of any size up to the 6-8 foot range (and at that upper range I pick the wave, tide etc carefully) and I suspect the vast majority of surfers have similar aspirations or needs.

Pretty much all surf media outlets offer up this "super-sized" menu but just like the saturated fat served up by McDonalds, is it good for you on a daily basis or as a once a year treat? So how big makes you happy?

Mr Vic's picture
Mr Vic's picture
Mr Vic Monday, 8 Jun 2015 at 6:25pm
zenagain wrote:

Where overseas did you live Mr. Vic? I live in Japan and we call the surf in relation to the body. Hiza- knee high, Koshi- waist, Mune- chest, Kata- shoulder, Atama- head, Oba- overhead, Daberu- double overhead etc etc.

I like that way, takes a lot of ambiguity out of it.

Over in Europe and based my experience on a few long van trips meeting and surfing with lots of nationalities.
Actually I think when you say 6ft a lot of people over here see it in terms of the face of the wave(as opposed to the back of the wave we do in Aus)

It certainly easier, but as pointed out under you can be tricky as the Spaniards are definately a bit shorter than the Dutch/German surfers!

Still over here actually... with a bit of luck can open a B&B in Spain in Portugal in the not too distant future!

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 8 Jun 2015 at 6:42pm

No one ive ever met in oz calls wave size from the back of the wave
Once in the Ments Thornton Fallendar said if youre 6ft tall and the face is twice your height then its a fucking solid 8ft wave and that's fucking it.

Haha Norton Flanders remember that ? !

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 8 Jun 2015 at 7:24pm

Ive also never met anyone in Australia that measures wave size from the back, i just don't get it at all, doesn't wave shape and period also determine the size of a back of a wave?, and where the hell do you measure it from and how do you measure the back of a wave from the beach?

I don't even really look at the back of a wave if there is a set, I'm either taking it on the head, catching a wave, or just watching how the wave breaks, or looking out to sea at incoming waves, only time i really look towards the back of a wave is if a mate gets a good one and no other waves are coming or if I'm lining up a landmark on shore to get into position.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 8 Jun 2015 at 10:54pm

Mr. Vic, good luck with the B&B thing. I'm kinda going down that path myself.

I know a guy who opened a B&B in rural France (Normandy). Bought a 300 year old farm house about a 10 minute drive from a place called Falaise where the remains of William the Conquerors castle once stood and about an hour from Mont St. Michel on the coast. Damn hard work but he's making a real go of it.

Anyway, calling waves from the back? True Indo, I could never get that either.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 9 Jun 2015 at 10:08am

Not sure where the measuring the back of the wave thing came from, maybe to try and explain it's half the open face (doesn't work at a lot of breaks, slabs an easy example).

Our forecasts use the commonly used half face measurements. Ie 3ft = headhigh, 6ft= 2x overhead, 8ft = 3x overhead etc

Blackdog's picture
Blackdog's picture
Blackdog Tuesday, 9 Jun 2015 at 12:05pm
Craig wrote:

Not sure where the measuring the back of the wave thing came from, maybe to try and explain it's half the open face (doesn't work at a lot of breaks, slabs an easy example).

Our forecasts use the commonly used half face measurements. Ie 3ft = headhigh, 6ft= 2x overhead, 8ft = 3x overhead etc

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Tuesday, 9 Jun 2015 at 12:07pm

Spent a bit of time in Hawaii in the 80's and 90's, from memory locals mostly referred to wave faces, made sense 3 board lengths from top to bottom "30ft faces".

Blackdog's picture
Blackdog's picture
Blackdog Tuesday, 9 Jun 2015 at 12:29pm

Right or wrong i gauge the size of waves by the vertical part of the face (just before, or as it starts to pitch). ie: a 3ft wave might be 2x overhead if its fat. and 3ft wave could be shoulder height if its pitching top to bottom. if it aint breaking, it aint worth shit!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 9 Jun 2015 at 12:40pm
Craig wrote:

100% agree and thats a good thing about Swellnet, if its forecasted at 3ft (head high) and i go down the beach it normally is 3ft while many other websites seem to use normal feet.

Ash's picture
Ash's picture
Ash Tuesday, 9 Jun 2015 at 1:26pm

I agree with Craig, I started surfing in '75 and that's roughly how I was told to measure em and still do. Nowadays it's hard to tell if people mean the actual height or the old school rule.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 9 Jun 2015 at 1:29pm

Funny thing is that I find even for people who use the same scale don't measure wave heights the same. One surfer's 6ft face is another surfer's 8ft.

That's why Swellnet's Forecaster Notes always have a "Recap" up top: it provides an initialisation for the last few days including the day the forecast was prepared.

That way, even if you disagree with the way we measure wave heights, you know the most important thing about the forecast period - the trend. If I say today was 2ft on the Northern Beaches and tomorrow's expected to be 4ft, then you know we're looking at around double the surf size. 

Blackdog's picture
Blackdog's picture
Blackdog Tuesday, 9 Jun 2015 at 1:38pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
Craig wrote:

100% agree and thats a good thing about Swellnet, if its forecasted at 3ft (head high) and i go down the beach it normally is 3ft while many other websites seem to use normal feet.

Whats with the half face measurement? is that because on a standard wave only half the face stands up vertically? if not whats the half face measurement based on and where did it originate from? maybe craig can give us an explanation?
i agree this method dose work and swellnets reports are usually pretty good. but you must remember 1ft is 1ft or 30.5cm in the metric scale and its what part you are measuring that counts. Do you measure it when its a flop or on a chubby? dont forget if it dosent stand up its no good to any one!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 9 Jun 2015 at 1:45pm

With the half face measurement, it's just as simple as that.

No need to try and over analyse it, and put different scales to a fat sloping wave compared to a pitching hollow wave.

A waist-high wave is probably 1-2ft, shoulder-high 2ft, head-high 3ft, 1.5x overhead 5ft, 2x overhead 6ft etc..

Blackdog's picture
Blackdog's picture
Blackdog Tuesday, 9 Jun 2015 at 3:18pm
Craig wrote:

With the half face measurement, it's just as simple as that.

No need to try and over analyse it, and put different scales to a fat sloping wave compared to a pitching hollow wave.

A waist-high wave is probably 1-2ft, shoulder-high 2ft, head-high 3ft, 1.5x overhead 5ft, 2x overhead 6ft etc..

over analyse it, yeah fair enough. but have a look at the of the content of this website, the majority of it is an over analysis. i just wanted to know why YOU use this formula and how it came about as it works well. Many people (surfers and non-surfers) ask this question but not many people have an answer. Maybe you could do some research and run an artical on it! you could have put your ego aside and answered "I don't know" if you could not answer my questions. cheers anyways. nothing personal, just curious that's all

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 9 Jun 2015 at 3:23pm

Its because a surfing foot is not 1ft or 30.5cm its just one surfing foot id say roughly double a normal foot or a bit more, don't know why its just what i was taught by old guys as a grommet, maybe its huey's feet size.

IMHO roughy
Flat= no wave to not rideable
half a foot anything below knee high but still ridable if your desperate
1ft=knee high
2ft=waist high
3ft=shoulder to head high
4ft=overhead
5ft= way overhead
6ft=double overhead
Don't know why but there is no such thing as 7ft like there is often no 13th floor.
8ft is pretty much triple overhead
9ft= see 7ft
10ft= bloody huge like a two story house of water
11ft=see 7ft
12ft= really really big
13ft, 14ft= see 7ft
15 ft= like a three story house of water.
then there is no 16, 17, 18, 19 foot
Only 20ft, 25ft, 30ft, 35ft, 40 foot

And you can only say 1 to 2 foot, 3 to 4 foot, 4 to 6 foot, 5 to 6foot, 6 to 8foot, 8 to 10foot, 10 to 12foot, 15 foot, 20 foot etc.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Tuesday, 9 Jun 2015 at 3:40pm

Not having a go Blackdog, just saying it's the way it generally is. I think there's totally an article in it, as we'd get so many different variations and discussion like this, but yes, no idea where it's come from.

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Tuesday, 9 Jun 2015 at 3:45pm

Used to surf with a midget and it was always overhead for him and he was always happy.
"Go to your happy place Happy"

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 9 Jun 2015 at 4:32pm

Indo's pretty much nailed it.

Blackdog's picture
Blackdog's picture
Blackdog Tuesday, 9 Jun 2015 at 5:17pm

its all good Craig. cheers mate. An article would be good especially if it had the opinions and definitions from say a range of surfers, ie pros, big wave charges, longboarders and old boys and so on. and from different country's too. like for example, how the Hawaiian scale is different to other places around the world. Anyways keep up the good work mate and i look forward to your next forecast of pumping waves with off shore winds!
hey floyd maybe we should all take up esky lidding. Every wave over 1 foot (on the craig scale) will be overhead and there will be no bad vibes in the surf because every one will be in there 'happy place'.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 9 Jun 2015 at 9:01pm

Same ol shit move on.
Just like the religious thread........on here, well done.

Joel Eugene Slater-Burrows's picture
Joel Eugene Slater-Burrows's picture
Joel Eugene Sla... Tuesday, 9 Jun 2015 at 9:55pm

From what I understand and I could be wrong but the surfers foot came from the traditional Hawaiian method of roughly measuring the back of the wave as an indication of the size of a wave and it just so happens that in many/most occasions the height of the back of a wave is roughly 1/2 the height of the face of a wave. Over time due to the fact that it is much easier to measure the face of a wave and measuring the face of a wave is an easier measurement to standardize most people began to measure the size of the face of the wave and would then halve it to get the measurement back to roughly what it would have been using the old system of measuring the height of the back of the wave. Then came the measurements of waist high, head high, overhead, head and a half, double over head etc etc

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 6:50am
wellymon wrote:

Same ol shit move on.

Totally agree Welly, The standard, the right way? Fucken dickheads, I started surfing cause there was no right or wrong way and the rule book was thrown out the window and we pissed on it. Surfers have turned into sheep.

I surfed yesterday and it was 6 to 7ft, it was 6ft with a touch bigger waves coming through, but not 8ft. I imagine most of the frothers would call it 8ft though, cause we don't use 7ft cause we're surfers and we have set rules and if we can add another foot on to make it sound even more epic let's do it.

The Hawaiian method of measuring the back of the wave has become so misinterpreted over the years that it is now a joke.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 7:22am

Indo D pretty much hit the nail on the head for me.
Shaun you rebel you

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 8:01am
shaun wrote:
wellymon wrote:

Same ol shit move on.

Totally agree Welly, The standard, the right way? Fucken dickheads, I started surfing cause there was no right or wrong way and the rule book was thrown out the window and we pissed on it. Surfers have turned into sheep.

I surfed yesterday and it was 6 to 7ft, it was 6ft with a touch bigger waves coming through, but not 8ft. I imagine most of the frothers would call it 8ft though, cause we don't use 7ft cause we're surfers and we have set rules and if we can add another foot on to make it sound even more epic let's do it.

The Hawaiian method of measuring the back of the wave has become so misinterpreted over the years that it is now a joke.

Although its basically true, my post was a little tongue in cheek, more an observation, would you really use 7 foot?

Im not sure why but I've never heard anyone ever use 7 foot, if it was bigger than 6 foot and not quite 8 foot, id say solid 6 foot, or 6 foot plus.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 8:10am
Joel Eugene Slater-Burrows wrote:

From what I understand and I could be wrong but the surfers foot came from the traditional Hawaiian method of roughly measuring the back of the wave as an indication of the size of a wave and it just so happens that in many/most occasions the height of the back of a wave is roughly 1/2 the height of the face of a wave. Over time due to the fact that it is much easier to measure the face of a wave and measuring the face of a wave is an easier measurement to standardize most people began to measure the size of the face of the wave and would then halve it to get the measurement back to roughly what it would have been using the old system of measuring the height of the back of the wave. Then came the measurements of waist high, head high, overhead, head and a half, double over head etc etc

That interesting maybe there is something in it.

I just thought it had been over exaggerated over time.

Like when you were a grommet and you would always call it smaller than what it is and laugh at you mates when they called it in true feet, a too cool for school kind of thing, always trying to imply nah it wasn't that big no big deal, when in truth you were freaking.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 8:24am

Hahaha, this ain't that big 0ft, but lets say its Hawaiian style eh...!

http://bnqt.com/2015/06/09/laird-hamilton-rips-a-river-on-a-jet-powered-...

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 8:44am

Its also different at different breaks and cliques of surfers even in one town, like say alley (beachy in cronulla) 2ft is waist high, 2 ft to shark island surfers is actually pretty good size.

I think this started as i read Hawaiians would downgrade reports of size to lessen Honolulu surfers making the drive up north, also just to be tougher than the guy next to you it seems these days.
The reason alley was so different in size is many island surfers surf hawaiian waves a lot, alley booger spin to win kooks dont.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 9:05am

The firing Nth Point vid from a few days back, Jake Paterson called it 8-10 ft ,I didn't see any 10 footers in the vid - 6- solid 8 I thought.

braudulio's picture
braudulio's picture
braudulio Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 4:22pm
shaun wrote:

So what you're saying Shaun is that it was 1.82m with the occasional 2.13m set but at no point was it 2.44m?

SI units people, it's not that hard.

tim foilat's picture
tim foilat's picture
tim foilat Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 4:41pm
wellymon wrote:

Hahaha, this ain't that big 0ft, but lets say its Hawaiian style eh...!

http://bnqt.com/2015/06/09/laird-hamilton-rips-a-river-on-a-jet-powered-...

The leaf blower of recreational pursuits, up there with dirt bikes and jet skis

morris's picture
morris's picture
morris Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 4:56pm
braudulio wrote:
shaun wrote:

So what you're saying Shaun is that it was 1.82m with the occasional 2.13m set but at no point was it 2.44m?

SI units people, it's not that hard.

To be precise, yes.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 7:51pm

Are you precisely certain... or almost precisely certain?

braudulio's picture
braudulio's picture
braudulio Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 7:55pm
uplift wrote:

Are you precisely certain... or almost precisely certain?

Certainly precise, possibly?

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 7:59pm

Good enough! Well... almost!

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Wednesday, 10 Jun 2015 at 8:02pm