How bad is this hole?

Sam I Am's picture
Sam I Am started the topic in Thursday, 1 Jan 2015 at 11:50pm

Hi guys,

I went out and bought a secondhand surfboard the other day (my first one). The guy showed it to me and I could see that it had some repairs done to it, but it seemed like a good price and I didn't mind if it was beaten up before as long as it's still rideable. The repair work is a crack down the bottom that had been plastered over.

I had a look at it today and some of the plaster had fallen off exposing the hole, probably happened when I put it on the ground. Can anyone give any advice on how bad they think this is? Did I buy a dud? Picture below.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 5 Jan 2015 at 3:50pm

It's just a small ding that can be easily repaired (although hopefully the previous owner didn't use plaster!). If it wasn't on the tail I'd recommend getting some Solarez and doing it yourself, but this will need some fiberglass too and is a bit of a finicky job, so you might be better off dropping it to your local ding repairer.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 5 Jan 2015 at 5:24pm

Better yet Sam, have a go yourself. Great time to learn - it's all part of being a surfer .

And you'll never own a shittier board to practice on.

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 8:40am

Looks like he has used car bog!! If you want to have a go yourself there are plenty of you tube vids on how to repair, can't be worse than the original repair and it wont be your last ding.

toneranger's picture
toneranger's picture
toneranger Tuesday, 6 Jan 2015 at 6:40pm

hey sam, ya haven't lived till you made your first hot batch