Vids other than surfing thread (cool doccos, movies etc)

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming started the topic in Thursday, 20 Nov 2014 at 4:42pm

Indonesia is full of so many contradictions in so many different ways but this place takes the cake.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Saturday, 18 Mar 2023 at 9:51pm

Sassy the Sasquatch every single episode all in one:

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 18 Mar 2023 at 10:37pm

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Tuesday, 28 Mar 2023 at 11:29am

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 29 Mar 2023 at 8:32pm

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Thursday, 30 Mar 2023 at 4:24pm

thanks again udo, some good stuff there as always. Getting the full(er) GG story was interesting. That's started me down a little rabbithole

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 4 Apr 2023 at 3:18pm

Great Glen E Friedman interview btw WS, a good reminder to us all, if you have opinionated rants keep them fun, keep them light, know your shit, and be self aware.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 5 Apr 2023 at 10:26am

Go Crangle....Take 82:82 for a Holiday :-]]

icandig's picture
icandig's picture
icandig Friday, 14 Apr 2023 at 8:28pm
icandig wrote:

This looks fun...and scary. Scary and fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuWEEKeJLMI

Watched tonight. Happy to report that it's as stupid as I thought it would be. Highly recommended. Three and a half stars.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 23 Apr 2023 at 1:39pm

Finished the Netflix series Beef last night

Really dug it just the character's and style in which it was done and a good unique story line, first few episodes was the best and ending good but little flat in some areas through the middle, but still very good..

David Choe character was awesome, and ive been a big fan of his since his Thumb's up America days (when Vice was actually good)

And since then the dude became super rich from his art actually doing a mural for $60K for Facebook office when facebook was only 5 months old, he got paid in stocks that ended up being worth hundreds of millions.

He is a little bit controversial though said some weird fully dodgy shit basically confessed to sexual assault through a story on a podcast and he is super super loose, but interesting character all the same.

Recent Joe Rogan interview worth a listen (he has been on before)

Heres a taste of his unique loose completely honest thinking

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Sunday, 23 Apr 2023 at 1:50pm

Can't listen to beetroot Joe, but I did enjoy Beef. Agree about it losing pace, first 3 eps were great. Production and editing borrowed a lot from operatic shows like Mr Robot and worked well, acting was awesome. Their love/hate rivalry was the keystone.. that picked up again in the desert..

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Sunday, 23 Apr 2023 at 1:49pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

Finished the Netflix series Beef last night

Really dug it just the character's and style in which it was done and a good unique story line, first few episodes was the best and ending good but little flat in some areas through the middle, but still very good..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFPIMHBzGDs

David Choe character was awesome, and ive been a big fan of his since his Thumb's up America days (when Vice was actually good)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO3-AAVTeDA

And since then the dude became super rich from his art actually doing a mural for $60K for Facebook office when facebook was only 5 months old, he got paid in stocks that ended up being worth hundreds of millions.

He is a little bit controversial though said some weird fully dodgy shit basically confessed to sexual assault through a story on a podcast and he is super super loose, but interesting character all the same.

Recent Joe Rogan interview worth a listen (he has been on before)

Heres a taste of his unique loose completely honest thinking
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6hvg8MMafM

Agreed, just watched Beef myself finishing it last week.
Worth a watch.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 1:34pm

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 6:46pm

Been watching the Australian version of "Alone" on SBS.

Not as good as the USA version but still worth watching, I just think the contestants aren't as of as high quality.

The older chubby women forgot her name is onto it though and the X military guy is a character, i think one of them two will win most likely the women.

Best bit of the show is just the scenery an amazing beautiful part of the world.

Biggest surprise is how glassy it has been expected way more wind, when i lived in Tassie when i went down the west coast 99% of the time it was howling, onshore , offshore, cross shore.

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/tv-series/alone-australia

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 7:02pm

The Alpinist, think it's on netflix.
If you like, Dawn Wall, Free Solo, Valley Rising....

arcadia's picture
arcadia's picture
arcadia Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 10:37pm

Thanks Patrick, just watched Valley Uprising - enjoyed it.

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 24 Apr 2023 at 11:17pm

$

https://m.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 26 Apr 2023 at 7:45pm

Last few days I worked my way through Dopesick. Only eight episodes long, not much of an investment, yet worth a watch.

Made sense to choose that series as I'm recovering from busted bones using oxycodone for pain relief. Get a little sense of the Greek tragedy that unfolded for the Sackler family who made a drug with the noble aim of easing chronic pain, yet unwittingly set off a decades-long opioid epidemic that's so far directly killed over a million US citizens by overdose and ruined the lives of many millions more.

A Greek tragedy but a distinctly modern American story; of commercial interests besting government regulation, of marketing trumping science, and money ruling over all else - even for a family of physicians who supposedly followed the Hippocratic oath.

Gold standard performances, especially from old mate who plays OxyContin inventor and Purdue Pharma CEO Richard Sackler. With a soft, raspy voice and facial tick approximating a perma-frown, he's a Jewish aristocrat version of Marlon Brando's Godfather, and the metaphor easily covers the role he plays, manouvering the family company away from the authorities as the bodies pile up.

Michael Keaton plays an opposite-Batman role, a soft spoken small town doctor who begins prescribing OC for his patients, who largely end up addicts, before he also succumbs, losing his medical license and a large whack of dignity while necking 400mg a day. The foil pack next to my bed has 20 tablets of 5mg. Finish that and I have to get a new prescription, all recorded on a national database.

Though it's entertainment it's hard to watch Dopesick and not take in the differences between here and there.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 26 Apr 2023 at 8:08pm
indo-dreaming wrote:

Been watching the Australian version of "Alone" on SBS.

Not as good as the USA version but still worth watching, I just think the contestants aren't as of as high quality.

The older chubby women forgot her name is onto it though and the X military guy is a character, i think one of them two will win most likely the women.

Best bit of the show is just the scenery an amazing beautiful part of the world.

Biggest surprise is how glassy it has been expected way more wind, when i lived in Tassie when i went down the west coast 99% of the time it was howling, onshore , offshore, cross shore.

https://www.sbs.com.au/ondemand/tv-series/alone-australia

I don't mind the contestants, especially enjoyed the survival guide who called himself "the baddest motherfucker in the woods" and then tapped out after three days. Obviously missed his guns.

What this series lacks against the North American versions is bears. The calls of "hey bear" and hands on the bear spray makes for constant tension. Reckon that's why the producers went with so many Aborginal/Indigenous contestants - there were four out of ten. They largely brought something to the show in terms of survival, though I don't think any of them will win.

For mine, it's between Gina the mildly overweight forest nymph and Mike the pademelon hunter. Both seem to have the temperament to see the distance.

EDIT: Also surprised by how glassy it's been, but then again they say it's 'West Coast Tassie' but it's obviously not on the coast. It's a dammed river so must be inland some ways which might lessen the westerly wind.

seaslug's picture
seaslug's picture
seaslug Wednesday, 26 Apr 2023 at 8:44pm

NZ cult classic on last night SBS, hope IB was watching, Black Sheep

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 27 Apr 2023 at 4:35pm

One of the classics with Al Pacino and Deniro, Val Kilmer, Jon Voight and Tom Sizemore...more excellent cast involved such as a young whats her name..i forget...anyway she has turned out to be a great actor..

free to watch for now.

Only part that annoys me is Al Pacinos (vincent) and his wives love scenes seem to turn ugly in a short duration of the movie..She married a dedicated cop what the hell does she expect?

Also a guy like deniro and his crew can be anywhere in america or USA even in LA at any truck or bank, ALL the cops have to be at all of them...So i dont like how snitches always gets them caught or almost caught.in these films.
Anyway maybe the best heist movie of all time.

Another one here the town- $4.99 usd rent maybe aud not sure.
https://www.justwatch.com/au/movie/the-town

I Think data bank storage these days means no cash or gold in vaults any more so movies like these will be a thing of the past, maybe not now but soon id say.And gold? maybe gold will be in vaults but takes too long to get a black market decent price.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Thursday, 27 Apr 2023 at 5:32pm

Hey Groundswell, if you liked those two I would recommend "to Live and Die in L.A." a similar style of gritty crime movie, stars Willam Dafoe as a counterfeiter with crooked cops after him, one of the best car chases in movie history, you should look it up, think you'd like it.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 27 Apr 2023 at 8:54pm

thanks Adam. Just found the full movie on youtube-

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 27 Apr 2023 at 9:04pm

and ive been a fan of dafoe ever since i saw Platoon and his flanking tricking the enemy and seemed like a true warrior in that movie.
My mate had it in his collection and said platoon was a shit movie but i loved it.

He also didnt like wall street but i did.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Friday, 28 Apr 2023 at 4:52am
arcadia wrote:

Thanks Patrick, just watched Valley Uprising - enjoyed it.

Thanks for the Alpinist tip, Patrick. Will watch.

Valley Uprising is hilarious. Millennial teenagers should watch as an eyeopener :-)

frog's picture
frog's picture
frog Friday, 28 Apr 2023 at 9:52am

Alpinist is great. Free solo extreme climbing on thin ice, snow, icy rock terrible weather - realms of additional danger unthought of in the early pioneering days of warm Yosemite rock.

Chimp Empire - interesting and amazing footage of daily life and an insight into our beginnings.
both on Netflix

flollo's picture
flollo's picture
flollo Friday, 28 Apr 2023 at 1:09pm

Valley Uprising is a classic. What a life.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 3 May 2023 at 8:45pm

Here's an intersection between Valley Uprising and climbing's development, what's happening in surfing with it's recent popularity and crowding, and the snow. A very good look at how the classic Ski Towns have changed:

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Thursday, 4 May 2023 at 10:21am

More intersections...

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 16 May 2023 at 12:21pm

Apparently if you thought the 1990s were a bit of a rough start in the adult world in Australia, they were not at all fun for young people in Japan: they truly became a 'lost generation'. Imagine you have one day after graduation to land that secure, lifetime job - and nobody is hiring that decade.

The phenomenon has rolled over into the younger generations too, and gave rise to the Hikikomori. This seems like an incredible alienation of young men. We've discussed who might be the 'beautiful ones' in the modern world's mouse experiment before, and I'm going 180 on my view: it's not the beautiful young longboarders (they are more likely to be narcissistic sociopaths instead) - it is actually these young Hikikomori. They are the 'beautiful ones'. At about 24:00 the New Start boys dress up in cosplay and go out into town with a banner highlighting their plight; afterward they put on a play, and at 25:20 young Mr Nakamoto shows wisdom way beyond his years:

"The thing about NEETs and Hikikomori, they're not greedy, and they don't get ahead by riding roughshod over others. This is my mantra."

They seem to be gentle souls in a crazy world.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 16 May 2023 at 1:51pm

So I'm going to run with the theme: this withdrawing from work has much wider appeal, here's "Let it Rot" from the young Chinese:

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Tuesday, 16 May 2023 at 2:00pm

This one was a stunner, and the consistency in the comments is striking.

In the States, there's 7 million (!) men who've just gone their own way. They neither work or are looking for work. They are doing their own thing. Intersecting themes: the work being bullshit and not paid highly enough for the perceived hassle, the provision of inexpensive entertainment, women and especially marriage being viewed more negatively than positively.

This young writer perhaps puts the threads together better than most, he argues for a young man the main needs of an individual have been made progressively more attainable (ie cost less) over the last 30 years and if you don't have a wife/house/family, you can actually have a decent life on very moderate earnings. Combined with dating/relationship/career progression stresses, it's more rewarding.

I'd say in Australia we haven't progressed as far toward this situation as the Americans have, but our young and poorer citizens are far more exposed to a high-cost environment that parts of the States don't see.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Tuesday, 23 May 2023 at 6:34pm

Kinda random and im not much of a car guy, but this was still kinda cool.

Can they get its started in a day? ......FK yeah they can and driving too.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 7:28am
velocityjohnno wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vknKvG3yrYM

Good video, VJ. The first one I mean. A very significant number and you can see why it goes unreported: not only are they retreating from society but they're far from the knowledge class so largely invisible to anyone working in media.

Made me wonder what's going to happen when AI kneecaps that class the way neoliberalism did blue collar workers. Will they still have a voice, or will they silently retreat from society too?

Did you not get frustrated, even mildly, at the purely quantitative approach of Nicholas? In one way, he's not unlike the people he's studying, locked away in his basement staring at a screen for hours on end. Sure, his screen time is productive, but just once I was hoping he could give a quantitative answer and rather than rely on statistical patterns say, "Yes, the people I've spoken to said..."

Also, 2,000 of screen time per annum, while on a lounge, not working, is mind-bending. An army being assembled of the angry and disenfranchised, useless on the battlefield but handy for anyone harnessing the power of an online bloc. The mother of all meme wars awaits.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 7:30am
indo-dreaming wrote:

Kinda random and im not much of a car guy, but this was still kinda cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmcKxR8xfJw

And there's the best YT vid I've seen in ages! Young country crew being productive, creative, and funny as hell.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 8:11am

They had me at "but we'll give it a red-hot go..."

Epic!

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 8:11am
stunet wrote:
velocityjohnno wrote:

Good video, VJ. The first one I mean. A very significant number and you can see why it goes unreported: not only are they retreating from society but they're far from the knowledge class so largely invisible to anyone working in media.

Made me wonder what's going to happen when AI kneecaps that class the way neoliberalism did blue collar workers. Will they still have a voice, or will they silently retreat from society too?

Did you not get frustrated, even mildly, at the purely quantitative approach of Nicholas? In one way, he's not unlike the people he's studying, locked away in his basement staring at a screen for hours on end. Sure, his screen time is productive, but just once I was hoping he could give a quantitative answer and rather than rely on statistical patterns say, "Yes, the people I've spoken to said..."

Also, 2,000 of screen time per annum, while on a lounge, not working, is mind-bending. An army being assembled of the angry and disenfranchised, useless on the battlefield but handy for anyone harnessing the power of an online bloc. The mother of all meme wars awaits.

Agree stu. Anyway, quantitative blurts like this will be the first AI-created videos, so there's a poetry in this interview (Chris already looks and sounds AI).
(great beardy bush bomb vid indo (not a car guy either, other than maintaining my old holden which is more like tech lego). rust valley on netflix?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 8:19am

These are up there with some of the best videos ive seen on Youtube for a while.

Best thing is the guy who filmed them and their semi secret hidey holes, didnt release the footage while they were still living in these places, so they didnt get swamped with people hassling them or treating them like an animal in a zoo.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 8:45am

A great example of a qualitative researcher, and some overlap with vids above. Jeff Ferrell, a career dumpster diver who gave up his professorship to...erm, dive right into the movement then write about his experiences. Can't truly experience what it's like when you have the safety net of a wage.

Only a short vid but some pearls of wisdom about transgression ("the spark of creativity can come from confronting that which limits us"), train hopping, and lesser known Woody Guthrie lyrics.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 10:01am

That was really cool.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 10:16am

that was a cool vid, and impressive guest for vocation-oriented carnegie-mellon to host. Drift re Flow. Let go, don't try to control. Sparks can come from restrictions. Great artists love limitations, it forces a deeper explore - woody storytelling with just his parlor guitar, picasso in his blue period, chefs going seasonal and local. Lars von Trier with a camcorder. MP riding recycled single fins. David Byrne with powerpoint:
https://newsarchive.berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/2005/03/08_byrne.shtml

Roadkill's picture
Roadkill's picture
Roadkill Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 11:39am

Watch Chimp Empire and listen to Joe Rogan episode 1988 with James Reed the Chimp Empire director. It is fascinating to listen to Reed and carry that over to the Netflix doco.
https://www.netflix.com/au/title/81311783

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 6:58pm
velocityjohnno wrote:

In the States, there's 7 million (!) men who've just gone their own way. They neither work or are looking for work. They are doing their own thing. Intersecting themes: the work being bullshit and not paid highly enough for the perceived hassle, the provision of inexpensive entertainment, women and especially marriage being viewed more negatively than positively.

This young writer perhaps puts the threads together better than most, he argues for a young man the main needs of an individual have been made progressively more attainable (ie cost less) over the last 30 years and if you don't have a wife/house/family, you can actually have a decent life on very moderate earnings. Combined with dating/relationship/career progression stresses, it's more rewarding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2rUEmru6No

I'd say in Australia we haven't progressed as far toward this situation as the Americans have, but our young and poorer citizens are far more exposed to a high-cost environment that parts of the States don't see.

Listened to both these today at work.

Can really relate from both perspectives having had this exact mindset

"They neither work or are looking for work. They are doing their own thing. Intersecting themes: the work being bullshit and not paid highly enough for the perceived hassle, the provision of inexpensive entertainment, women and especially marriage being viewed more negatively than positively."

To now thinking the best thing i ever did was do the things i was had little desire for and even in as sense was even against, job/business, family/kids.

There was some good points through both videos, but also aspects left out.

Good to see acknowledgement of this being a western culture thing and not necessarily linked to class or education, and lowly educated immigrants are more likely to be employed than those higher educated born in a western country.

Some aspects that weren't touched on.

Cultural elements, many ethnicities are at an advantage because there is cultural family expectations to achieve, get a job and stay out of trouble even to get married, to not do these things brings shame on the family there is also aspects from immigrants of often this being their chance to really make something of their lifes, again expectations from parents/family, we have given you this opportunity you are lucky work hard and make it work.

Fatherlessness also wasn't talked about, role models are so important, there is clear pattern between fatherlessness and many negative aspects or under achivement but id also expect just relationships in general.

Basically if you are employed in a committed relationship ideally married, ideally have children, you are far far likely to achieve and not be involved in crime etc and children more likely to go on and achieve in these areas, its basically about creating a good intergenerational culture opposed to bad intergenerational culture.

On the whole relationship thing and guys having less short or long term relastionships or even getting laid less.

another aspect not mentioned is the change in traditional men-female roles, basically women now seek to have careers and goals outside of getting married and having kids, this is great for women, but not so much for men overall and contributes to these issues seen.

It also means women put off relationships and are more picky and have more power over choice, again all positive things for women but not always for men.

However the backlash is if women leave things too late and then realise they want children and family, but its too late and their body clock has ticked over.

Many other factors too in the mix, but basically women have become empowered but many men disempowered.

Also i think its hard for many men these days to know where and how they fit into a relationship as not as straightforward as once was, i also think humans have natural roles and needs to some extent like a man has a natural need to be a protector and provider.

Thats not to say things need to be totally ridged and totally set in traditional roles i think its great women aren't just seen as they once were and are empowered, but i think some traditional aspects are a good foundation to build on.

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Wednesday, 24 May 2023 at 8:19pm

Power is a zero-sum game, Indo. You either have it or you don’t. Binary,even.

Re the “Yes, women have gained rights”, one has to happen for the other to happen. Women’s equality is based on men losing their ‘superiority’ position.

It has been a man’s world.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 25 May 2023 at 8:16am

Yeah dont get me wrong i dont think women gaining more power in society is a bad thing at all, so many positives and im a big supporter of women being empowered, but I also think it has had an effect on men or more so younger men, and i think its a factor in the problems men are having talked about in those videos.

The whole topic is super complex though and these are just my views and one perspective and one factor, im sure there are many other factors too, many talked about in the videos

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Saturday, 27 May 2023 at 5:48am

Finally watched The Alpinist. At first I thought it was going to be cringe awful, with the super geeky climbers, the ultra earnest crew, the predictable cliches.

But then it took a very good turn, and I really enjoyed it apart from a growing sense of unease.

I won’t spoil anything for those that haven’t watched it.

Island Bay's picture
Island Bay's picture
Island Bay Saturday, 27 May 2023 at 6:00am

Btw, for those interested in the mountains and alpinism, I can recommend Hermann Buhl’s memoir Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage. He was a total badass.

After 24 hours on a mountain rescue, he knocked off Friday evening, cycled 200km to Switzerland (this is in early 50s), climbed Piz Badile solo in 4.5hr, before then taking rope teams 3 days.
Then he walked down to his bike, cycled 200km home only to fall asleep on the handlebars and waking up in the Inn River.
Unbelievable stuff.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 10 Jun 2023 at 8:00am

andy-mac's picture
andy-mac's picture
andy-mac Thursday, 15 Jun 2023 at 12:39pm
Island Bay wrote:

Finally watched The Alpinist. At first I thought it was going to be cringe awful, with the super geeky climbers, the ultra earnest crew, the predictable cliches.

But then it took a very good turn, and I really enjoyed it apart from a growing sense of unease.

I won’t spoil anything for those that haven’t watched it.

Great film...

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 16 Jun 2023 at 11:05am

Charlie Brooker is still maintaining the highest of standards. New season of Black Mirror is great. Only watched ep 1 but it hits the mark.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 17 Jun 2023 at 4:09pm

I dont know how much of this is true, but its pretty wild.

BTW. 3:00 is the point to skip that sneaky ad

I think i posted this one before also a good watch.