Performance enhancing drugs

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 10:11am

Yep, lets go there......

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 10:16am

So, can anyone enlighten me on this? Do/have the powers that be do random tests? Have they been doing random tests for 1 year, 5 years, 15 years? Does WADA keep samples from surfers for future testing?
How would people feel if a name surfer was found out to be like Lance Armstrong or Ben Johnson...
Uplift, I'd like your take on it.....

waxmonkey777's picture
waxmonkey777's picture
waxmonkey777 Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 10:48am

I reckon performance enhancing drugs should be banned for sure but if surfers are tested regularly it will bring to light other drug use that might not be so performance enhancing such as the recreational ganja smoking….although a couple of hot ones to the dome can sometimes can be performance enhancing in two foot mush or perhaps ‘perception’ enhancing. I don’t think surfers should be shamed they like to indulge in a little devils lettuce.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 10:58am

Didn't Neco Padaratz test positive to some type of steroids?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 11:15am

Wax monkey.. That's not my point.... I think they can only find pot if they deliberately look for it.... You can get a blood test that specifically looks for lets say cholesterol.... It wont show pot..... So I'd assume they can do a test for performance enhancing drugs that would exclude non performance enhancing drugs like pot , alcohol etc............

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 12:07pm

I know for a fact they test for recreational drugs too. The guy who does the drug tests for the WCT has a shack in my town. I was talking to him about it a few weeks ago. The surfers come out of the water after their heat and get bailed up on the sand and marched off for a random piss test.
The same guy does the bike races like the Tour Down Under too but it's harder to cheat the test for the surfers as they have just been in the ocean.
The bike riders are more sneaky and have to be watched closer as there is some substance that they can put on their finger and if they just let the piss stream hit that finger it neutralises the test result!
As the surfers have just been in the water they can't pull this scam off as easily.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 12:11pm

Sheepio, Been doing drug tests for 5 years now, only because of work.
It does not bother me at all, as making a living in my eyes is more important, paying the mortgage, car, insurances for everything is a part of life these days.
Lately I have been tested for drugs before mobilising to work every time, that is every 2, 3 weeks. This has become an issue of late as a few boys got random drug tests before jumping on the helo and got busted, coke, anthetamines however ya spell that, some people blow it for all.
They test you for pretty much everything, even that chronic shit because some bloke nearly died in the mines awhile back, so they tested the whole camp 600 people and nearly 200 we're using chronic????

IMO all professional surfers should be drug tested, just like us as they are earning money for a living, that's the thing that tripped me out about TC going viral on TV....?
Drug test them all for everything I reckon.

waxmonkey777's picture
waxmonkey777's picture
waxmonkey777 Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 2:33pm

Wellymon, I think there is a difference between being drug tested for a job where you can potentially harm others durring work compared to surfing where you can only harm yourself. Pro surfers livelyhood is largely based on reputation and if they are being shamed for indulging in the finer things in life, thats a shame. It's a similar situation to professional snowboarding where they get drug tested for recreational drugs which is largely part of the culture. However, I agree they should be tested but only for performance enhancing drugs. You're right goofyfoot old mate brazo did get busted.

http://surfing.about.com/od/asktheguide/a/0715padaratz.htm

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 2:53pm

Ha Ha " The Flying Squirrel" no performance enhancing drugs in this little ripper.....GO QUINCY !

TALENT TALENT TALENT......Unreal.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 3:24pm

How good is the flying squirrel, unfortunately udo she would get done for the use of the steroids to control her condition. It would be a pretty grey area though for that reason as it would be declared but I bet some would only see it in black & white.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 4:18pm

Goofy, Neco was tatally shafted by the French/ASP. He was taking anabolic steroids for treatment for a back injury. I'm not quite sure but I think he was based in Australia at the time and had been prescribed them. He also voluntarily submitted to the drug test and it was not random. To this day I think he is the only professional surfer to cop a ban for drugs, performance or otherwise.

I'd be very happy to be corrected on the above but I think Neco's treatment to this day was pretty harsh.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 4:33pm

WaxyMonkey, I hears what your saying there, but .....
Conoco-Phillips a huge oil and gas conglomerate from America, they are having problems offshore at the moment with persons having medication for Ganja, as this is legal in some states of the US of A....?

I love the Dutch system of going to work, you get tested before you de-mobb, then when you come back get tested again....? If you are tested higher for what ever drug... Herion, Ganga, Steroids etc.. You are busted ie using at work....?

Hey don't get me wrong WaxyMonkey, I love my ......................?????

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 4:37pm

Let the surfers take any rec drugs they want. God knows I'm usually sideways in some direction whilst I'm watching.

Shit ! That reminds me ! Tahiti is on soon, better make sure I've got enough Datura and Amyl to get me through 8 hours of Joe Turpel.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 4:42pm

Amyl and Datura great mix Blowin:)

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 4:45pm

Jesus... keep away from the bell flowers, mate....... Seen some people totally fuck themselves up on that gear..... For life......

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 5:23pm

What can I do Sheepy. I'd normally chrome my way through the early rounds but have you seen the price of paint ?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 5:49pm

So you've given up smoking cane toad glands, blowin?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 7:31pm

Just lick them Sheepio works a treat...

You should see my little Jack Russell go on them, Thats why I called her NinjaGirl.

She was on "American Ninja Warrior"...

bluebottlesting's picture
bluebottlesting's picture
bluebottlesting Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 8:27pm

A mate of a mate who who was talking to a bloke at the pub reckons king baldie used to be on the peptides and the like. Now ever since drug testing has come he hasnt been same, hasnt won world title since,...

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 8:44pm

Gidday sheepdawg, the whole drug thing in sports is a comedy. Its so rife its ludicrous. Take for instance when Ben Johnson got scrubbed out. And lewis 'won' gold. Despite returning, muffled, swept under the rugs positive tests himself.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2003/apr/24/athletics.duncanmackay

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/04/17/1050172707806.html

Lewis was once the US anti drugs pin up boy... after testing positive, and lambasted Johnson.

Every Mr Olympia uses a myriad of illegal drugs, even though one famous one is also a cop.

I first saw so called 'recreational' drugs in action when US imports first came to Australia to play basketball. I was young, and wondered why some were so interested in greyhound racing.

I agree with you sheepdog about performance being mostly mentally driven. Hence the popularity of illegal, supposedly 'recreational' stimulants, like coke and speed. Some people hate even training, but when amped up, even though the immediate physical side effects may not be ideal, they train their arses off. In basktball some guys would be much, much more confident when white squalled, and play much better than normal. Some of the top players were constantly 'up'. But it would eventually catch up, ala Cousins. Just like any drug, some have the capacity to handle more, some can keep things more under control. Johns came clean about his enhancement.

its a joke, Arny is a fitness icon. Comical. Drug mania, at its highest levels. Like any addict, they lie their guts out. I trained some pretty good triathletes, and used to love giving them shit about Lance (not our Lance!), when they tried to emulate his routines. Anyone who has any experience with adaptation, recovery, knows the reality. Training really hard has a massive effect on the body, and the way the body adapts naturally, isn't a straight line to extra performance. Its why timing is so crucial.

Again, this is what drugs do to women in bodybuilding.

And men.

http://nattyornot.com/growth-hormone-guts-bodybuilders/

So, anyone who 'performs anything like that, guess what. And, likewise, the drugs may be used for different effect, but anyone who 'performs' anything like anyone using drugs, ie Lance, well, guess what.

But, as the likes of Lance, Cousins, Johns etc show, natural is a joke too. I personally know natural 'champs', who just lie their guts out.

Lots of people can come up with all sorts of reasons, and find doctors who will give them 'legal' testosterone and HGH 'replacement therapy.' That problem is rife, huge in sports at the moment. This guy was the posterboy of what a natural trainer can be like condition/health wise for years.

Its all a joke. One of my main issues is as I said before, steroids were totally legal until around 1990, as was ephedrine. So the end result is, most modern, contemporary training protocols inadvertantly are based on the results from that era. Again, when you experience and understand the mental and physical ramifications of intense training/competing, which especially competing wise are becoming ever more intense, and how humans naturally respond, you see something has to give. Recovery, rest is so crucial. Even everyday people rest less than ever. Electricity/technology is a double edged sword.

Caffeine is really, really powerfull.

http://www.drugfreesport.com/newsroom/insight.asp?VolID=51&TopicID=4

But addicts are drugged, don't notice anymore. Doesn't do much? Don't use it then. Like this.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=oly&id=6978023

Surfing wise, for sure plenty use the performance enhancing nervous system stimulants. Its a sad fact. I saw that even the guys that wouldn't go over the edge of a 3 footer who suddenly had a whiff of snow power, became charging maniacs. Especially when the added skis took away even having to look at the drop, and dramatically upped the option of bailing unscathed. Those who indulged that already charged went off the richter.

Imagine though if every top athlete went clean. The performances would reflect that. More rest needed, less events too. The fans would murder them.

I think slater is a leader in the field of the mental side, in that he really has mastered naturally using his mind, a true ambassador, but I'd love to see a bit bigger, stronger, faster, more resiliant, so even more high performance model. 5 - 10 kg would make a huge difference.

History shows, the big money, the expertise, is with the big money cheats. In the end they might go down, but in real time, way in front. Testing for everything is impossible, because everything is constantly on the move, as are the disguises for those with the means. Laws differ dramatically re availability across the globe.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 9:26pm

I have a question Uppity- Do you agree with what that bloke in the vid said in regards to 'restoring' testosterone and HGH in men to peak levels at what a 25 year old man would naturally have?

I was interested as he said he hasn't so much as had a sniffle in 15 years. Not that I'm searching for the fountain of youth, but I had an interesting chat with a bloke up the mountain last winter. He was 65 and had been prescribed testosterone cream (I'm not sure where he rubs it in- ha) but he said that since doing so he seems to have a new vitality. He had a little middle age spread but we were doing some pretty tough side country hiking in deep snow and he was powering. He also said it restored his libido too. Just wondering as he was a pretty genki chap for his age and was leaving some of the younger fellows in his wake. Wasn't a big bloke though.

I'm not taking the piss this time, it's a genuine question.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 11:03pm

I agree Zennity that all that he says works in the ways that you say. Look at 'Rocky'. Busted, but gee, it was just his particular brand of supplements that was his secret. The fucking puddings... please. Busted, but fools still rush in buying away. Now we have, 'Rock' on! Training and nutrition secrets 'rock'! 3 months to super shape, herculean efforts. Secrets of the stars. Then, those Olympia genetics, so ludicrously common, failing hearts and livers and kidneys. Poor, but ever so brave ambassadors fighting hereditory defects. Just bad luck, coincidence... we tell you no lie. Brave souls who's training kept them fighting on. Fools rush even harder. What angle did they hold the dumbells? But, so much blindness. Royce Gracie got busted too. Armstrong went down, but, guilt got some other innocents to blab too. Sneaking off in the background. Not our Aussies!

In all seriousness Zen, embracing modern lifestyle is doomed. We are long shaped/designed/created, whichever you choose, to get plenty of rest. Sun goes up and down so should we. Fridges? Sugar? Farming? Variety? 5 colours of veges? Humans can run at what? For so long. Whilst rotating at what? Jet planes move at what? Sensory overload. Tired... sleep then, even animals are smarter than humans. But, but, the productivity! Take a panadol and get back to work!

But, in doing that, ala Boeving you miss out on truly learning about yourself, nutrition, exercise, health etc. So much deception. You miss out on the power you have over your mind, and the power the mind has over your body. Its so ridiculously basic. Too simple, must be bullshit. Even if you are 80, sitting on your board. FAAAAAAAAARRRRRKKKKK!!!!!!! I'm gonna die... chemicals, hormones, responses. Yet, just a friendly dolphin. Result was the same, shark or nice dolphin. You want 25 year old hormones, fitness, your mind is the key. Recreate it, in mind, just like the dolphin, disguised as a shark. Over and over. Just as real, stretch, exercise, train your imagination. Make a program, an unconscious directive. Over ride and replace the present one. Then let your mind work as newly directed, and watch it make the response. It, your directive, will effect every decision and action, running in the background like a virus. Eat this, do that, live this way. So much of our 'aging' is environmental, conditioned. The opposite of what we really want. But, if you don't believe that? Get a needle. I guess its like getting 'peace', by getting stoned.

Its so simple, but doesn't mean its easy. There's already a virus at work, a beauty. New Years eve resolutions... easily crushed. When I showed those video's training stuff, its so revealing. The client says, no worries, I'll hold my foot straight. So fucking simple. They honestly want to hold it straight. The virus couldn't give a shit, and twists it. Again, and again. I'll eat really healthy, I won't get pissed, I'll do this, I'll do that. The virus laughs. Does what it likes, gets even stronger. The one thing you can really control, thoughts. Thoughts control life. Some put plates in their lips and see/feel beauty. Some see feel/feel ugly plates. Same thing, different thoughts, beliefs, hormones, chemicals. Change thoughts, beliefs, change life. So simple. Not that simple is always easy. Plenty of clients beg me for the magic phone number... 'come on, you must know some one. Do I have to do this shit... for the rest of my life... fuck off!!!!' Don't do it. You are better than you think. You are above it. Tempting though, eh. Imagine an athlete, injured, tired, coaches, sponsors and fans screaming, opponents amping, million dollar carrots, just one cycle, thats all, just for one day. Progress. Entertainment.

Don't do it. You deserve better, and can truly do better.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 11:34pm

Cheers for your lengthy response.

As an aside, I think laughter is important too. I love to laugh.

Oh, in addition to the other stuff, I've given up sugar too. That's a bitch- do you know how addictive that stuff is?

Anyway, off to bed- gotta get up for the early;) Take care.

stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2's picture
stray-gator_2 Friday, 15 Aug 2014 at 11:37pm

Asshat! Shut the fuck up.

See. Short and sharp.

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Saturday, 16 Aug 2014 at 12:12am

But so far, far, far, far away gateless... the signal, so weak, ever more feeble, tiny. Such a frail, sharp little cry. However, a magnificent, barely audible, completely out of range squawkup. Completely doomed, and useless, but a 10.

seal's picture
seal's picture
seal Saturday, 16 Aug 2014 at 10:49am

Uppy, I have to admit I agree with your take on drugs in sport and the need for any athlete to rest their bodies when putting them under constant stress for long periods of time.
It was pretty obvious that Armstrong had to be on something as nobody can train and compete at that level without some sort of fatigue or overuse injury catching up with them in due course.
Unfortunately with the dollars and prestige that are on offer in a lot of sports, people will do anything to get a bigger share of what's on offer and use whatever means are available to try and get an edge on the opposition be it drugs or underhand dealings.
I'd love to see a completely level playing field in sport where the athlete who puts in the most, has the ability, the will to succeed were the ones that are at the top of the heap but with all that's on offer these days, there will always be people taking the easy way to the top.
And I can't see it being any different any time soon ,because as soon as there is a test to find a drug cheat, some smart chemist type finds a new drug or masking agent to give their athlete an advantage again.
Yes Uppy, training, diet, ability, mind control and genes should be the only thing that the elite athletes should be able to work with to reach the top but I don't think that's gonna happen in what's left of my lifetime.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 16 Aug 2014 at 11:41am

Lifto, those photos..... Grotesque......

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 16 Aug 2014 at 11:45am

The chicka has little winkie and the blokes even a littler one, hows the gut on him, fuck thats grotesque.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 16 Aug 2014 at 7:12pm

Friggn funny world we live in, welly...... Anorexia thru to this sort of shit..... Funny how both start with some form of vanity......

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 16 Aug 2014 at 7:42pm

Shame vanity is Sheepio, who gives a ..... really...?
With your lip and my head, we don't give one bit eh......;)

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 16 Aug 2014 at 9:53pm

hehehe... yeah.... got another fuckn bcc on the brew too... Just above left eyebrow.... Oh well... chop chop... lookn like a "tough guy" lol

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 16 Aug 2014 at 11:36pm

Give us a photo.

Especially the one with your bum in a G string on Steroids.

ohh brew... hehehe

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 17 Aug 2014 at 12:17am

Here's a photo welly.

Yeh, its crazy shit, but so's lots. Everyone has a uniform. Surf wear, this seasons boardies. This guy stayed with me for a while when I lived in Ballina, and because of his upbringing/background, this is what he always surfed in.

The shorts drove the 'locals' into a squawking frenzy... well he used to play on it, and them a bit. A fair bit. The bra boys were just getting infamous, so the 'north wall boys' were in full swing. Fucking hilarious, comical shit. Endless entertainment. Yeh the bodybuilding world is a weird one, the things people do. Crazy that it, with all the drugs and insane supplement lies and bullshit got Arny up the rungs though. Governor. Ridiculous... you'd think anyway, but then, we've got banner.

Most people would think that latest mathews/burrows thing is pretty weird, like train surfing, or filming setting yourself on fire and skating into a brick wall. Vanity driven, equals fame, fame equals cash. Its what our culture values above all else. Fame and cash.

Its grotesque all right, for sure. But thats just the way the drugs are expressed. What about what lance tried to do to anyone in his way, to save himself. Lewis tried to destroy Johnson, for vanity, despite being an innocent drug cheat himself. Imagine what MP, Carroll, Irons and the myriad like would be thought of if they couldn't surf. Heroes? Icons? Sad stories, but heaps of those stories are just people that can't surf, and most people wouldn't put up with them, let alone worship them.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Sunday, 17 Aug 2014 at 8:40am

Gold.

In his "Bonds"

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 17 Aug 2014 at 8:47am

North Wall Boyz .... If that is even partially true then it's the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

West Side Massive 4 Lyfe !

floyd's picture
floyd's picture
floyd Sunday, 17 Aug 2014 at 12:05pm

Wake me up when the topic turns to viagra, apparently its very good at countering altitude sickness. Any takers?

caml's picture
caml's picture
caml Sunday, 17 Aug 2014 at 11:01pm

That pic is justin from kauaii . My old mate from g-land . Why did he stay at your house lifty ?

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Sunday, 17 Aug 2014 at 11:46pm

He was trying to track you down camster, said you owed him? Nah, he came to Oz and stayed with Todd, but was completely off newy. Its pretty funny, he wanted to surf all the 'famous' Aussie points. Noosa, Snapper, The Pass. A huge swell hit, so off he went. Total, utter devastation. Shattered. Can you imagine it? He blamed Todd... and you too. I tried my best to defend you. I was living in Ballina, and they ended up at my place. He ended up staying for about 6 months. Loved the gym, his knees were fucked too, so we did some stuff with them. Pete came up and stayed for a while, it was super entertaining. Justin at the pass was the best hassling entertainment I've ever, ever seen. Mind you, the combo of him and Todd at north wall was super fun too. Pete, trying to keep a kind of rasta/machado like groovy low profile, was cannon fodder.

He's so shy and humble he'll be devoed that you've named him. Anyway, whats he doing surfing with you, his backhand was a shocker, true gorillaring.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 8:57am

Well, I'm really enjoying this kumbaya love fest, but can anyone answer the original questions? Stu? You might be the man.. Or BB.... When did urine sampling start in professional surfing? How often is it done etc etc...

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 12:28pm

The testing isn't cheap sheepdawg, and the ASP isn't exactly cashed up. The stimulants obviously aren't tested for in an efficient way.

Just to keep the festivities flowing for you dawg.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 12:36pm

Lifto, I thought Wada/asada did the tests? Do sporting entities have to finance testing?

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 12:41pm

Ok... Here is a link which says that drug testing in pro surfing started in 2012;
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2012/jan/01/surfers-drug-testing-sport
From the article - "Amid growing evidence that the sport's drug culture has gripped even some of its elite athletes, the Association of Surfing Professionals will in 2012 roll out a policy for screening competitors and officials for performance-enhancing and recreational drugs."

So, the question must be asked...... Who since 2012 in the top 32 has gone right off the boil?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 1:40pm

Apparently coke sales to the top 32 are down 42.7 percent since the GFC.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 1:42pm

Yeah but red bull shares are killing it......

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 1:49pm

This isn't related but.... How come I've never seen a photo of Kelly in a pair of sunnies ?

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 3:55pm

Gidday dawg, wouldn't the ASP be like other professional sporting groups, where the ASP would either have to do their own testing, which would be way too costly, or contract some one that does them to carry them out. Considering that other pro sports with massive budgets get regularly duped, it would be difficult for the ASP to be very thorough.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 18 Aug 2014 at 4:08pm

Yeah, lifto, having sourced that article above, i'd say so.