I heart WOTD

Blowin's picture
Blowin started the topic in Wednesday, 30 Jul 2014 at 8:07am

The wave of the day does it for me big time. Nice work Steen Barnes , Shaun Anderson and Swellnet.
In one photo you've encompassed everything nice about surfing. If I was a wanker I'd say that it was perfect except for the fact he is in a wetsuit. Which it is , it's perfect .....except for the fact he's in a wetsuit.

Halibut's picture
Halibut's picture
Halibut Thursday, 25 Jan 2018 at 2:40pm

Single huh? I knew there was a reason why I dug this shot! Nothin like pushing some cumbersome ungainly single into a place it was never designed to go. Makes my knees ache just thinkin about it. Truckloads of folks who can wriggle their thrusters around in waves like that any old day. Rage maintained.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 26 Jan 2018 at 8:16am

The mysterious antipodal 3rd Hobgood brother.

Cause it’s Australia Day let’s call him Hobbo.

Belting it.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 27 Jan 2018 at 9:53am

Im guessing those things don't have leg ropes?

Can you imagine if you went over the falls with that thing, that foil could seriously kill you.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Saturday, 27 Jan 2018 at 10:14am

Inertia had a story on Foil injury a while back an Evil head injury
Kai Lenny insta for a paddle in up into the pocket pit at Jaws

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 27 Jan 2018 at 10:40am

I'm not aware of any restrictions on their use at the moment but it strikes me as a pretty bad idea to have them in the line up with the rest of us.

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Saturday, 27 Jan 2018 at 12:40pm

Commentary on their danger and place in the line up aside...that's a great shot. In twenty years time what will be its place and point of reference in the evolution of how we ride waves. Setting aside opinion, I always can't wait to see what Kai Lenny does next.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 27 Jan 2018 at 12:50pm

Agree crg.

Wonder if Kai will ever take it to Nazare? Seems like one way of avoiding the inherent chop problems there.

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Saturday, 27 Jan 2018 at 8:14pm

I hope so Stu...I think Nazare is the only big wave that hasn't had its potential fully explored. There's a paddle limit there which they've reached and it appears due to the chop a tow limit as well. But from what I see and hear there is still bigger waves there that have been unridden or are considered unrideable due to the surface conditions. Bring it on Kai...bring the foil !

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Tuesday, 30 Jan 2018 at 1:59pm

<3

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 30 Jan 2018 at 11:23pm

Nice technique. Shoulders wide open. Torsial rotation. Eyes leading.

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Wednesday, 31 Jan 2018 at 9:37pm

Gary wonders if instead of using 'Bound By Heavy Water' in today's caption you may have considered 'Girt by Sea'?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 1 Feb 2018 at 6:24am

I missed an opportunity there. IMO 'girt' simply isn't used enough these days.

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Thursday, 1 Feb 2018 at 9:05am

Agreed.

It also has a linguistic proximity to Girth, which is enough to get Gary a little hot under the collar of his work attire: a tuxedo shirt with the sleeves ripped off, in case you were wondering.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 1 Feb 2018 at 12:17pm

..... are you always beside yourself Gary?

Gary G's picture
Gary G's picture
Gary G Thursday, 1 Feb 2018 at 1:01pm

Gary is only beside himself when looking in the mirror, which is to say frequently.

He is also occasionally girt by a court-imposed exclusion zone, quite unfairly it's fair to add. Gary just popped down to K-Mart in his work-out-gear to pick up a slip'n'slide and all of a sudden the cops are there screaming indecent exposure.

Admittedly Gary was a bit sweaty and oily at the time, but surely the vast majority of the public would agree that the real crime would be covering up Gary's frame during his training sessions?

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Thursday, 1 Feb 2018 at 3:02pm

I have great empathy for Gary, tormented like that, the world is indeed a cruel place.

I'm thinking Gary's physical attributes would be better appreciated at my local shopping centre that has 2 pilates and 2 yoga studios. 30 year old mums walk around before and after class in bum hugging active wear. Nothing more attractive than someone that has had chakras recently re-aligned.

Just a question on Gary's family. Any relation to Mary G from up the Kimberley way?

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Saturday, 3 Feb 2018 at 9:45am

Yew!!! Paul rad might come and visit haha.

bluediamond's picture
bluediamond's picture
bluediamond Saturday, 3 Feb 2018 at 6:19pm

Cheers legend. These reefs were made for you!!!! Big hollow lefts. So perfect! Always inspired by your charging and style mate. Big inspiration. I'm outta here in March but might see you over that way for a few Coopers and fun ones sometime soon. Yew!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 24 Feb 2018 at 4:57pm

I like today’s shot.

At first glance it’s just alright but it shoots up a notch when you spy that lucky rabbit tucked into his sweet little burrow.

derra83's picture
derra83's picture
derra83 Tuesday, 27 Feb 2018 at 1:30pm

Todays shot is a good one, got me humming the Cat Stevens song....."Look at me, I am old, but I'm happy"

eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies's picture
eat-your-vegies Tuesday, 27 Feb 2018 at 9:41pm

He’s just a grom , but definitely a happy place.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 28 Feb 2018 at 4:52pm

Medina is going to destroy every one this year.

Destroy them.

Easily.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 28 Feb 2018 at 5:17pm

Not if JJF is healthy, fit and focussed like the last two years.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Wednesday, 28 Feb 2018 at 5:25pm

They’re all roadkill under the churning wheels of an enthusiastic Gabby.

JJF hasn’t faced a determined Medina yet.

I’ve got a horrible feeling that Gabby is going to “ crush his happy little world “ like Andy did to Slater.

freeride76's picture
freeride76's picture
freeride76 Wednesday, 28 Feb 2018 at 6:13pm

Gabby was doing damage and making friends in Ballina today.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 28 Feb 2018 at 7:43pm

Agree with Blowin, Gabs has it coming, a knock 'em dead season like Pottz '89 or KS '96, and it just feels like this wil be the one. The winning double trot through Europe late last year only to be denied at Pipe, that's the kinda motivation he needs.

On another topic: what age is it appropriate to stop travelling with your dad?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 28 Feb 2018 at 7:45pm

I saw a vid of him today ripping at D-bah and not one single claim?

I think if both are at their best JJF is still the better surfer, he is just the complete surfer, air game in small or solid waves, full rail power surfing in solid to big waves and the ultimate tube rider. (i mean he even won a Eddie)

Medina is way up there and improved in solid waves but only area i think he edges JJF out is maybe on variety of airs and his backhand reos.

End of the day though i honestly think it comes down to who gets that little push from the judges?

Third in line and maybe a smoky though is Filipeo

loungelizard's picture
loungelizard's picture
loungelizard Saturday, 3 Mar 2018 at 9:57am

"cave-man" surely..

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Saturday, 3 Mar 2018 at 11:49am

“Here the cavemen singing, good news they’re bringing...”

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 8 Mar 2018 at 9:05pm

WOTD....Hell sequence of Mr Brokensha on his Instagram
WTF are you doing Craigie ?
Ha Ha...GOLD

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Thursday, 8 Mar 2018 at 9:32pm

I just checked out his Instagram.

Some familiar places. Looks like you’ve had a ball , Craig.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 9 Mar 2018 at 9:37am

Haha yeah a good laugh that one! Thought I was gonna nail it but face planted hard and Ray was there to capture it. I gave it a second crack, same result..

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 10 Mar 2018 at 9:13am

Today’s WOTD .

I’ve never been there but I’m calling it’s an inconsistent knee to waist high and powerless into 5 inches of water over sharp reef.

= pretty hoax shot.

I’m ready to be stand corrected.

Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone's picture
Nick Bone Saturday, 10 Mar 2018 at 12:33pm

I'm calling that 3ft. You cant get lip crash on waist high waves.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 10 Mar 2018 at 1:01pm

Very small and very shallow. Makes for a nice pic though!

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Saturday, 10 Mar 2018 at 1:34pm

When I first saw it I immediately thought small day GBR. Agreed it looks waist high max. Be fun unless you fell off!

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 10 Mar 2018 at 1:56pm

It is small but it may be much deeper than it looks. I've surfed up there and the water is so so clear you think you are surfing in only a few inches and its way way deeper. Given the season is so short that coral is so alive and the smallest of scratches can cause serious infections if not thoroughly cleaned.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 10 Mar 2018 at 2:08pm

That inside wave is waist high on Glen Hall and the water in front of it is mid shin deep maximum.

The sort of surf that you’ll pull up to and exchange “ if only “ stories before someone gets too hot in the sun and jumps overboard to have a try.

They’re back in the boat to much jeering comment within 10 minutes . One fin knocked out , nose of their board missing and spectacularly regrettable tiger claws down most of their back and one thigh.

Good for a laugh on a flat day...excepting the mercurochrome clad punter whose trip is now effectively over.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 10 Mar 2018 at 2:32pm

Looks so nice though just the set up and shape, double the size and it would be super fun.

And here i was thinking PNG only had one wave a short hollow right? (Sarcasm)

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 11 Mar 2018 at 7:38am

Today. Steph. Style. Insert love heart emoji

RobbyBobby's picture
RobbyBobby's picture
RobbyBobby Sunday, 11 Mar 2018 at 7:44am

Check out Steph channeling MP in today's pic. She is down low on her board with her left foot planted, though nowhere near as big, like MP's - and that flailing arm that looks like it is about to go into the wood chop.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 11 Mar 2018 at 11:42am

yeah today's a cracker .... great surfer and always smiling - great stoke.

going back to yesterday's if its the wave I think it is it will break for at least 200 metres like that, perhaps double that, but haven't surfed it as like some above have suggested it was too shallow and small to give it a crack when I was there but some local kids were onto it bare feet and all.

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Sunday, 11 Mar 2018 at 11:48am

Long long's?

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 11 Mar 2018 at 2:24pm

could be, you surfed it?

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Sunday, 11 Mar 2018 at 3:26pm

Been there a bunch of times but never surfed it. Seen it at the size in the WOTD a few times - needs a decent swell to get like that - but when it's like that everywhere else is twice the size so I've never bothered with it. Assuming it is Long-longs...

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Sunday, 11 Mar 2018 at 3:28pm

Yeah, agree there are plenty of other options nearby but the whole area is fickle

derra83's picture
derra83's picture
derra83 Monday, 19 Mar 2018 at 9:39am

Looks like Laura Enever has been thrown out of the airlock with today's WOTD wipeout.

Heavy!

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 20 Mar 2018 at 11:55am

Searing off the top by Connor in todays WOTD.

I've dumped 2 surfers to get him on my Fantasy surf team for Bells.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 22 Mar 2018 at 9:08am

Tahlija Tuff- The most underated female surfer in the world.