The greatest to never win a -

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Tuesday, 15 Jul 2014 at 6:55pm

The golden ticket... The title, the cup, the silverware, the premiership.... The champ.... Many brilliant individuals have nearly got there, only to have one wave, or one fall, one interference, one bounce, one serve, one incredible bunker shot, one delivery, one cramp, one torn muscle, one tyre blow out, take the ultimate glory away..... So, the greatest to never win a - ......... Obviously Cheyne and Kong come to mind.... Dane Kealoha... But who else? Not just surfing..... Even though he won 2 majors, does Greg Norman count for his failure to win a major on American soil? The Balmain Tiger's Wayne Pearce... one of the best lock forwards I have ever seen, never got to taste a grand final victory.... Steve Rogers...
But the main reason I have written this, is because one of my all time favorite AFL players announced his retirement today... He too, came within one cruel bounce, and a lucky toe poke, of tasting the ultimate glory.... Twice....He will go alongside Tony Lockett, Robert Harvey, Paul Kelly, Tony Modra, Nicky Winmar, Dougie Hawkins, Gary Ablett sr, as one of the greatest players to never win a flag...... I take my hat off to you, Lenny Hayes...... A champion player, a champion individual.....

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 15 Jul 2014 at 6:56pm

So, who is your greatest to never win a - ?

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 15 Jul 2014 at 7:31pm

Might be a bit premature but it's got to be Taj and a world title.
(Hope I'm wrong!)

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 15 Jul 2014 at 8:52pm

Hope you are wrong, goofy.... A great surfer who never won an a rated event was Robbie Sherwell.... A bloke who won the pro class trials in Hawaii, but turned his back on it was crammy..... THAT cutback.....

brutus's picture
brutus's picture
brutus Wednesday, 16 Jul 2014 at 4:20am

Margo!