What Wax to get?

theswede's picture
theswede started the topic in Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 at 5:14pm

Hi

Don't know if this is the right place to put this topic but anyway Im completely new to surfing and i got my first board a few days ago. I need to re wax it. Im unsure what wax i should get. I will be surfing around Melbourne. Would this be alright as a topcoat?

http://www.zaksurfboards.com.au/sex-wax-dream-cream-silver-warm-to-cool-...

Don't know what basecoat to get. Would really appreciate someones help.

Thanks

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 at 6:11pm

No need for base coats just any cold water wax is fine in Victoria, i don't know what that exact wax is like in the link, but id stay away from any wax that could be for warm water, its just harder wax so doesn't go too soft in warm water, but warm water wax in cold water like Victoria can be a less tacky, even possibly slippery.

Just drop into your local surf shop and if in doubt just act cool and say can i just grab a block of wax, and if they ask which one, ask them what one do you think is best, there always keen to tell you what they think is best.

Personally I normally just use Mrs Palmers, but thats only really because ive got a stack of blocks from my addiction to buying boards.(I also live in Vicco)

Just use a circler motion when putting it on don't press to hard, you just want it to bead up a bit and add a little before every surf or use a wax comb to rough it up a bit to get some grip.

I also rub just a little on the top of the rails where i grab when duck diving or pushing to get up, but each to there own i guess.

theswede's picture
theswede's picture
theswede Sunday, 15 Sep 2013 at 6:24pm

Hi
Okay cool thank you. Ill go to a local store tomorrow and see what they recommend :)

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Monday, 16 Sep 2013 at 9:55am

I prefer a mainly mrs palmers wax, which are made by billabong apparently, some shops told me they wont be making it anymore.
Its important to not use/mix some waxes with different brands as some have chems etc that dont mix, like sex wax doesnt mix well with mrs palmers.

You will find it slippery, mrs palmers is one of the most grippy around, also sticky bumps etc are good.
Find a good brand and stick to it imo.Theres lots around.

a good wax job is important mostly while learning to intermediate or in critical waves.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 16 Sep 2013 at 10:05am

I got given a cake of Glu wax recently - great stuff, grippy as all get out. Honestly, it sticks on your fingers and skin long after a surf and strips any wayward hair off your body. Good for just a quick rub over the surface before your surf.

Anyhoo, last week I used it to build up a fresh coat on a new board. Took it for a surf and it worked wonders. Next morning I went for another surf and there were two dead cockroaches in the wax. Must've been attracted to the sweet, bubble-gum smell, started eating it and got their feet stuck like fly paper.

There's a testimonial for you!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 16 Sep 2013 at 11:56am

Speaking of wax, don't you hate it when you get the slippery feet thing, you know you paddle out jump up and your feet feel all slippery, normally goes away after a few waves, but can cause you too kook your first few waves, not sure why it happens maybe sometimes from your shoes/socks or clay or something walking down to beach.

Ive got two solutions i sometimes use.

1. I actually rub the soles of my feet with the block of wax and even a litttle on the top of my foot, so once in the water i can rub my feet together to get rid of the slippery thing i find it helps a little.

or

2. In summer I grab an old pair of flip flops/thongs and wax them up i wear them for the short drive to beach and when checking the surf and find it also helps to combat slippery feet syndrome.

:D

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 16 Sep 2013 at 12:05pm

@ID,

I NEVER surf without waxing the top of my feet before going out. I'm used to the strange looks I get from people but when other surfers try it they usually admit it works.

Just wax your feet and then on the paddle out rub the bottom of one foot with the top of the other. Hey presto! Instant grip.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 16 Sep 2013 at 12:35pm

First time I saw Stu waxing the top of his feet I thought he was going down the hair removal path but after he explained it makes sense, would hurt a bit if you didn't have soft wax though!

I think your idea ID is great with the wax on the thongs.

Similar to sunscreen though when down the beach, I just rub my feet/hands in the wet sand to get off any slippery oils etc, works well but if your surfing a reef it's a bit harder ;)

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Monday, 16 Sep 2013 at 12:55pm

I always rub my feet on my freshly waxed board when I'm just entering the water and about to paddle out. Just immerse the board in water for a few seconds to cool the wax, especially in summer as the water temp down here can be radically cooler than the 40 degree air temp we can get in summer. It keeps the annoying first wave slip off from happening.

old grey's picture
old grey's picture
old grey Monday, 4 Nov 2013 at 2:44pm

Yep Mrs Palmers what I use, found it to be pretty good, man scaping the feet before a surf very interesting. Craig, ido ,yorke what your thoughts on the Mc tavish bobsled 6,7 to 6,8 size, had a look at the superfish don't really like it looked massive. going to head over to Torquay to have a look at Rip curls T-rex, fair dinkum just worried that I will purchase the wrong board for my ability ( paddling that is )

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 4 Nov 2013 at 3:07pm

while in torquay head straight to see brutus at the chook shed get him to make you a custom.. T rex or similar.

old grey's picture
old grey's picture
old grey Monday, 4 Nov 2013 at 4:27pm

will do

more's picture
more's picture
more Thursday, 21 Nov 2013 at 2:39pm

cool water Cream on top of base coat.....

flowgenie's picture
flowgenie's picture
flowgenie Thursday, 12 Apr 2018 at 9:22am

I was down at FlowCairns in Cairns, Australia with the boys from AFA (Australian Flowboarders Association) and had a board with no VGT and they said I could put surf wax on it, what wax do you recommend for flowboards in a tropical region? www.australianflowboarders.com

John Eyre's picture
John Eyre's picture
John Eyre Friday, 13 Apr 2018 at 4:32am

Beeswax works the best....