After surf munchies

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Wednesday, 9 Jul 2014 at 6:32pm

After a wicked sesh, whether it be a solo or with ya' mates, there's nothin better than a pig out......

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 9 Jul 2014 at 6:38pm

Craig and the hemster inspired me to start this, with their Port Elliot Bakery comments in another thread.... So, where are the legendary after surf scoff shops? I'd nominate the St Helens fish and chip boat - Trevalla and potato cakes, battered oysters....... The Southport Tavern - legendary massive steaks..... And back in the "old days" , there was a take away surf shop at currumbin called "the alley" - wicked sangas chocka block...... And the now gone but never forgotten Betty's burgers in Noosa......

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 9 Jul 2014 at 7:59pm

Healthy Bee at Kirra or the Bamboo flute on dbah hill cheap and wholesome. 1970s

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Wednesday, 9 Jul 2014 at 7:54pm

Suffolk Bakery at Suffolk OR Ballina

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 9 Jul 2014 at 7:57pm

Yeah, not bad... Cant think of the name of the place in the middle of byron that do the best Falafel rolls....

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Wednesday, 9 Jul 2014 at 8:04pm

Pretty meh about falafels myself. Same as Japanese okonomiyaki. And no, not Suffolk bakery cos I like to tuck into an $8 lentil something or other.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 9 Jul 2014 at 8:38pm

East Lynne Pie Shop. Between Bateman's Bay and Durras. Meat temperature just right so if you spill any on your lap while racing to Pink Rocks you wont have a head on with a B double.
Pilgrim's at Milton: used to do killer curry lentil pies when Andy Leslie owned it.
Otford Pie Shop: walk up the hill from Bulgo, straight in the door and put your money on the counter. I scarfed 25 pies one time I was that hungry. They might've been party pies but the record stands.
Colton Bakery: nothing like the honour system and fresh desert bread for jaffles while you wait for Uplift's wave to turn on.
The pie shop on Pittwater Road, Long Reef: good meat to pastry ratio but expensive as hell.

woohcs's picture
woohcs's picture
woohcs Wednesday, 9 Jul 2014 at 8:51pm

the curry joint next to full circle on phillip island is an absolute must!...usually has 5-8 currys on the go(big pots), and if you ask just right, he'll let you sample them all with some papadam thingys for VERY reasonable price...throws in some good chat too

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Wednesday, 9 Jul 2014 at 9:42pm

When I was a young fella, Vernons Bakery at Kawana on the Sunny Coast then Main Beach Bakery on the Goldy before they moved across the road when it was next to the Jolly Chinaman Chinese restaurant and the dive shop.

Counteries at the Currumbin Hotel with arguably one of the best outlooks in Australia.

Thommo's pies on the way to Byron and Stu, when I lived in Sydney for a few years definitely that pie shop on Pittwater Rd.

Also the Artichoke Cafe 'The Choke' just behind Manly beach does/did a wicked English style big breakfast.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Wednesday, 9 Jul 2014 at 10:54pm

Yeah, zen... Good old Vernons rocked :)

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 5:43am

Funny how bakeries are always at the top of the list!

On the Fleurieu Peninsula (and keeping in mind it's been a good 10-12 years now since I've done regular Victor missions), I'd rank the bakeries in order as such: Yankalilla, Port Elliot, Middleton, On The Spot. Goolwa Bakery was pretty good if I recall correctly but I never really spent much time around that end of the coast. Actually back in the day I used to surf Petrels/Kings quite a lot, so we'd often hang out at the Yilki deli (on the beachfront there) and get toasted ham and cheese sangas from Bob.. they hit the spot. 

And for some reason the Mid Coast didn't really have a bakery vibe back in the day.. maybe because it was closer to home I never bothered too much. 

crustt's picture
crustt's picture
crustt Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 7:35am

George's at Lorne, a long long time ago.

sir ambrose beachfucker's picture
sir ambrose beachfucker's picture
sir ambrose bea... Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 7:45am

cuttings bakery at christies beach yonks ago

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 8:08am

Best bakery on south Tweed is called 'Not Just Pies' it only opened up a few months ago at Machinery Drive south Tweed just near Shapers Alley/Shaping Co. Best peppersteak pies in the business. Awesome fish pie too.

My all time favourite after-surf munchies is Beachwood Cafe in Yamba. The owner is a turkish lady named Sevtap, she makes the best 'turkish eggs' with this spicy sausage if you're there for breakfast, and if you miss that cause the surf was pumping all morning, the lunches are something else! Fresh local Yamba prawn salad, etc. never had a dish where I didn't lick the plate clean at the end... hard to top!

Also worth a mention is Valla General Store. They make the best burgers ever. Ever.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 8:12am

Bakeries are good but if I had an Indian curry place nearby, as Woohcs does, I'd help put their kids through uni. Big bain marie, bright orange laminex, chintzy statue of Ganesh, that sort of deal, and buckets and buckets of curry, aloo, and dahl. Wouldn't imagine it'd be too good if you're planning a second session - the reflux! - but for a shameless post-surf pigout Indian is just the spice.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 8:37am

Stunet... That reminds me of the little krishna place on Horton pde maroochydore (think they've moved now)..... Massive plate of different curries and a dessert for about $3 back in the day..... And their lasses were awesome....
When Betty burgers in noosa were forced to close (freakn council), we would make the short trek out behind noosaville to a little indian/continental deli called Raj's..... Samosas, curries all ready in the bay marie...... Became a ritual..... Drove the motorway back to coolum from there....

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 9:28am

Nothing beats stacking up on 6 cheese and bacon topped rolls from woolies, while sat on the rocks / headland after a sesh.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 9:34am

Or a loaf of bread, minimum chips and some tomato sauce for a chip sanga.

Or same loaf of bread, bunch of bananas and a squeeze pack of honey.

Some of the richer kids even had banana, honey AND peanut butter:)

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 9:44am

You're on the money now Zen.

banana hot dogs...

Bread, banana and some sugar sachets from maccas. you can also find the honey there too.

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 9:57am

Yeah or a pie roll.
Get a bread roll or a ham & cheese topped roll from the bakery, ask the lady nicely to slice it in half for you and put one of their pies in there. If you have the munchies real bad there's nothing better and the added bonus is you can hook into the pie without worrying about spilling gravy - the roll catches it.

Plus most of the ladies in the bakery get a hoot out of making it, get the 'that's the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard, your really want me to do that?' every time ahaha

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 9:59am
ACB__ wrote:

You're on the money now Zen.

banana hot dogs...

Bread, banana and some sugar sachets from maccas. you can also find the honey there too.

Best thing to live off if you are swagging it out in the bush.. loaf of bread, jar of nutella, bunch of bananas. You can live off that combination for days, breakfast/lunch/dinner, don't have to keep it cold.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 11:15am
yocal wrote:

Best thing to live off if you are swagging it out in the bush.. loaf of bread, jar of nutella, bunch of bananas. You can live off that combination for days, breakfast/lunch/dinner, don't have to keep it cold.

Yowie food yocal ;)

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 11:23am

Another place worth a mention, when I was in vicco, was the shop at Point leo...... Many a steamed dimmy was scoffed there.........

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 12:07pm

Klemms (then renamed Doctor food) down Cape Woolamai, Phillip Island use to rock with there Macaroni and cheese pies and other out there pastry delights, back when no one else anywhere was doing more than meat pies and basic sausage rolls, its been sold again not long ago and ritzed up and renamed looks a bit yuppyish now so haven't ventured in there.. "Die yuppy die"

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 12:10pm
mitchvg wrote:

Had many after surf sessions there..use to love there cheesecake bake slice thing.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 12:35pm

Hehe.... It was xmas.... My first xmas in S.A.... I didn't know the name of the surf break, but thanks to TGF, I do now.... Anyway, a friend was a chef at an Adelaide restaurant.... He ordered too many lobsters.... Gave us some.... My wife and I drove down to PE, surf was mehhh , but awesome hot summer day.... Sat up on the hill near the trainline, pulled out the esky (also drank back then)...... Shoulda seen the looks on everyones faces as they walked past...... Icy cold beers....... Lobster.. Music...... cones..... Yeah..... Fun times...

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 3:13pm
wellymon wrote:
yocal wrote:

Yowie food yocal ;)

yeah Welly we sure resembled Yowies after a few days camping in the bush with the smell of campfire smoke through our clothes and hair haha

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 3:13pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
mitchvg wrote:

Had many after surf sessions there..use to love there cheesecake bake slice thing.

amen.

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 9:34pm

Best pig out would've had to have been nipper mum spag bols at surf carnivals

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Thursday, 10 Jul 2014 at 9:50pm

Farking coldest King Brown, can't beat it that for an after surf munchie ;)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 11 Jul 2014 at 8:41am

Then a Bacon n Egg sanga, especially when camping.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 11 Jul 2014 at 8:59am

U and ya fuckn camping....... ;)

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 11 Jul 2014 at 9:31am

Shaves with a Bowie knife too;)

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 11 Jul 2014 at 11:17am

Machete

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 11 Jul 2014 at 11:55am

A kilo of seasoned , shallow fried Spanish mackerel between surfs at a camp in the NorWest desert - then another macky binge at dinner time under the stars and next to the fire. Go to bed feeing like a king and wake up the next day feeling like a superman.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 11 Jul 2014 at 12:19pm

A fucken kilo?? Beast!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 11 Jul 2014 at 12:30pm

A Kilo of Spanish mackerel and you'd be smelling and looking like one :o

Port Elliot bakery the one to beat, tasty as and usually a few cuties working!

Back when living in SA loved smashing a hotdog with the lot, chips and a coke between surfs, even did whole Pizza Hut Pizza's sometimes along the Mid, so bad! Love the bakery now, a good sausage roll and then donut or similar with an iced coffee. Great stuff. I try and add in bananas though to restock for the next surf.

Chocolate is always great to get those sugar levels up there. Wait, who am I kidding, I'd eat anything post surf.

Out in the desert though it's a couple of packets of mi-goreng, egg, banana or apple, scotch fingers, peanut butter and bread, then some chocolate and anything else I can fit in for lunch.

Some form of meat for dinner or fish if someone catches one and then a few coldies. Can't beat it!

ACB__'s picture
ACB__'s picture
ACB__ Friday, 11 Jul 2014 at 1:09pm

mi-goreng and a can of tuna is what I always do on my gas cooker post surf while camping. Had a few good sessions at lennox then sat up on the headland feasted out and then gone back in for more!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 11 Jul 2014 at 1:44pm

Yeah I was gonna write half a kilo because it didn't really seem feasible but I've been corrected by those in the know and a full kilo is the usual consumption. A kilo of steak and it's a guaranteed food coma, a kilo of fish and it's slight pause then power on.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 11 Jul 2014 at 3:13pm

What about best beach side pubs ? As someone that has been enjoying the hospitality of the East coast of late I'm putting forward the Pacific Hotel at Yamba as an amazing place to have a countery and a schooner or two .

Stu - Tell me Headlands Hotel isn't gone , please.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 11 Jul 2014 at 3:53pm

Nah, Headies hotel is still there but don't line up for the early opener - place is boarded shut. Been a big 'For Sale' sign out the front of the place for yonks. Can only hope the buyer is a chilled publican with a spare license and a taste for Cooper's Pale and not a scurrilous developer looking to make a quick buck.

Dunno if anyone else would vote for it but I liked Murray's at Manly when I was living there. Reasonable food, awesome selection of beers, and great view over the beach. The fact they had kiddies entertainment was a bonus.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Friday, 11 Jul 2014 at 3:57pm

As mentioned previously, the Currumbin Hotel.

Great place for a beer and a countery while watching the Alley peel off.

Sadly long since sacrificed to the developers.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Friday, 11 Jul 2014 at 3:58pm

Evans Head..... Sweet...... And a couple of SLSC's on the sunny coast were good. The one at Coolum really is "right on the beach" with an awesome view of Point Perry, and the boardriders bank... And the little sleepy marcoola slsc was cruisy.... Lived in marcoola for a year back in my drinking days.... Great little watering hole.....

toneranger's picture
toneranger's picture
toneranger Tuesday, 15 Jul 2014 at 7:25pm

a shout out to the mount compass bakery.u can get the best egg and bacon pie in australia at around 6.30 am on the way down to victor.any of the older crew remember duchies at newhaven on the bridge.still never tasted anything close to his battered whiting and chips.is he still around?

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Tuesday, 15 Jul 2014 at 9:33pm
Sheepdog wrote:

Evans Head..... Sweet...... And a couple of SLSC's on the sunny coast were good. The one at Coolum really is "right on the beach" with an awesome view of Point Perry, and the boardriders bank... And the little sleepy marcoola slsc was cruisy.... Lived in marcoola for a year back in my drinking days.... Great little watering hole.....

Hotel Illawong! great joint... the RSL has awesome pool tables too. And the pizza joint on the corner is a ripper...

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Tuesday, 15 Jul 2014 at 9:36pm

good to hear Mi goreng got a mention, that stuff makes you fart.

In indo, An ice cold Anker and half a pack of beng-bengs on the deck overlooking a lineup consisting of a few mates that have the strength left to paddle

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Saturday, 19 Jul 2014 at 9:02pm
prothero's picture
prothero's picture
prothero Wednesday, 13 Aug 2014 at 11:39pm

as a young fella we would drive an hour up the coast pull bongs then paddle out to an island that was about 500metres out that was coverd in noisy birds that would screech at you.When we came in we'd go to an old cafe run by a huge old fat guy who made the best fishburgers ,a big slab of battered fish in between some bread, a great feed.

finback's picture
finback's picture
finback Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 8:15am

How could you not score the double with Slow Food cafe at Angourie for brunch then Pacific Hotel , Yamba for a evening meal and refreshments

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 8:18am

As has been said before, the Pacific has to be one of the best post surf eating/drinking spots on the coast. Not to many places right on the beach looking over the ocean!

wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443's picture
wingnut2443 Thursday, 14 Aug 2014 at 10:35am
Craig wrote:

As has been said before, the Pacific has to be one of the best post surf eating/drinking spots on the coast. Not to many places right on the beach looking over the ocean!

mmm, did you mean:

e wrote:

... Not to many PUBS right on the beach looking over the ocean!

plenty of surf clubs, but a good pub with a view like the Pacific is damn hard to find ...