bottom turns

youngsurfer's picture
youngsurfer started the topic in Friday, 30 Nov 2012 at 11:50am

i'm new to surfing and im trying to figure out how to do a bottom turn without face planting into the wave.. any advice?

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young Friday, 30 Nov 2012 at 12:39pm

Bend your knees look where you want to go e.g up the face of the wave and commit to your turn drive with your legs ouyt of the turn

youngsurfer's picture
youngsurfer's picture
youngsurfer Friday, 30 Nov 2012 at 12:41pm

okay, cheers

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Friday, 30 Nov 2012 at 8:58pm

take off on an angle and hit the lip. no need for a botom turn. thats old school shit

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 30 Nov 2012 at 9:07pm

take off on an angle and hit the lip. no need for a botom turn. thats old school shit

By: "mrsbradpitt"

Get some new material mate you have never said one funny thing on here despite all your shithouse attempts.. And I normally laugh at just about anything!
Ever think about actually contributing to a discussion?

uplift's picture
uplift's picture
uplift Friday, 30 Nov 2012 at 9:29pm

Gidday, practice on a skateboard to get the feel of using your backfoot. Practice going straight, then just before you want to turn, do a little lean in the opposite direction (fade) and practice trying to change direction sharply, powering through your back foot, as if on an imaginary wave. Have fun and be patient and you'll get good at it. Back hand is easier, because at first its easier to weight and push really hard through your heels, rather than balls of feet and toes (forehand) without losing balance. Heaps of you guys would remember the sick, full power backhand bottom turn of Mick Dow from South Bay. I got to see Andy Irons toying with Lennox as big as can be paddled, and his forehand bottom turns were insane. Everyone else was totally concerned with making sections, but he was generating so much power and speed that he went up and down, even fading, round arcs, as much as he liked. Rod Brooks and Maurice Cole at Bells were experts at that. Backhanders have the edge in bottom turn power though, ala Johnny Boy in his prime at pipe. There's some footage of Tom Carrol at big, sloppy, wedgy Angourie pouring it on. I guess everyone has a bias, but I love watching the guys that can put some roundness into them, the more the better.

youngsurfer's picture
youngsurfer's picture
youngsurfer Friday, 30 Nov 2012 at 9:54pm

cheers guys

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Saturday, 1 Dec 2012 at 1:05pm
"mrsbradpitt" wrote:

By: "goofyfoot"

Get some new material mate you have never said one funny thing on here despite all your shithouse attempts.. And I normally laugh at just about anything!
Ever think about actually contributing to a discussion?

I dont laugh at much, but i found this hysterical

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Saturday, 1 Dec 2012 at 5:47pm

Another one... You are a fuckwit

mundies's picture
mundies's picture
mundies Sunday, 2 Dec 2012 at 12:07am

Youngsurfer - if you are still learning then I reckon you are probably standing with your feet too far forward (especially your back foot). Very common reason for face planting on a forehand bottom turn when learning. The other reasons given already are based on you having your feet already in the right spot. If your feet are too far forward you tend to tilt the board in the same direction of travel over the rails rather than drive off the tail into the botom turn off the fins which is the desirable type of bottom turn on a surfboard.
If you have a tail pad stuck on the correct spot on the tail which for me is as far back as possible (leaving room for the rail saver on the legrope to move around eg maybe 2cm forward from the leggie anchor point), then you should attempt to be aware of where your back foot is when you stand up, in particular get your back foot on the arch of the tail pad (sometimes wankily called a powerarch).
Good luck youngsurfer, feet in the right place early on can avoid many future technique problems.

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Sunday, 2 Dec 2012 at 12:11am

Another one... You are a fuckwit

By: "goofyfoot"

HA
take your tampon out and stop whinging you cyber bully

jim2403's picture
jim2403's picture
jim2403 Sunday, 2 Dec 2012 at 4:02pm

you are a cock mrs bradpit

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Sunday, 2 Dec 2012 at 10:39pm

noone likes a hero. especially one that sits behind the safety of a computer screen littlejim

jim2403's picture
jim2403's picture
jim2403 Monday, 3 Dec 2012 at 5:05pm

haha are you serious mate? take a minute to look at all your past comments? whos being a hero?? this is my fifth post and two have been about you fukwit

youngsurfer's picture
youngsurfer's picture
youngsurfer Wednesday, 5 Dec 2012 at 9:56am

cheers guys. i think your right mundies ill try that, thanks.

mundies's picture
mundies's picture
mundies Monday, 10 Dec 2012 at 10:48pm

good luck and have fun youngsurfer. The better you can surf often the more fun you have as more opportunities are created on the wave. As long as you dont start taking it all too seriously....

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Tuesday, 11 Dec 2012 at 7:28am

So in that case two fifths of your comments are directed at me. Stop bullying me it hurts my feelings