fiji surf boat guides

tip-top1's picture
tip-top1 started the topic in Sunday, 10 Jun 2012 at 7:26pm

hi ppl
im heading to fiji on the 18th of this month , staying at denarua but pretty keen to get a couple of surfs in , does anyone know of a decent and good priced surf boat guide leaving from denarua , also any recomendations on where to surf , ive done a couple of bali trips scored a a few 6ft days at balangan and a couple of 4ft + days at ulu's
cheers guys

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Monday, 11 Jun 2012 at 5:46am

Tip-top, heaps of charter boats running out of the marina. I personnally didn't use any of them as I was out at Malolo, but do your research there. Check their prices,times and compare. Talk to others around where your staying.

Where you surf depends on wind,tide and swell. If there is any west in the wind, don't waste your time and money out at all the breaks in the Tav/Nomotu area.

Have fun. Fiji is fanatastic.

tip-top1's picture
tip-top1's picture
tip-top1 Monday, 11 Jun 2012 at 11:28am

cheers fitzroy, sort of figured thats what iwould do in regards to boats , but good to get a bit of insight from crew that have been there before,how does the wave power stack up compared to indo,

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Monday, 11 Jun 2012 at 2:20pm

I didn't surf Cloudbreak quite as big as in the comp. It is a powerful wave, but I have surfed some breaks in Indo that are comparible.
Just go TT, you'll be right. There are other breaks too. The waves, the people and the place is great.
Enjoy.

tip-top1's picture
tip-top1's picture
tip-top1 Monday, 11 Jun 2012 at 8:18pm

cheers fitz, cant wait, hopefully snag a few waves. i've heard nothing but good things about fiji, will give feedback upon return

funpeeler's picture
funpeeler's picture
funpeeler Tuesday, 12 Jun 2012 at 5:51pm

can anyone tell me if there any waves in Fiji for the gentleman longboarder/fish rider? ie playful waves complementing the testosterone fueled reef pass zones?

therealneil's picture
therealneil's picture
therealneil Tuesday, 12 Jun 2012 at 6:23pm

gday mr peeler,in the tavarua/namotu area namotu lefts was pretty mellow up to 3to 4 ft when i was there plus swimming pools off namotu island looked pretty chilled as well

blow-in-9999's picture
blow-in-9999's picture
blow-in-9999 Wednesday, 13 Jun 2012 at 3:31pm

Lots of the waves down on the coral coast are pretty tame.

go-surf-fiji's picture
go-surf-fiji's picture
go-surf-fiji Wednesday, 13 Jun 2012 at 4:21pm

Bula,
My company Go Surf Fiji (www.gosurffiji.com) picks up from all Nadi hotels. We are based at Wailoaloa beach which has all of the backpacker hotels. Look at www.smugglerscovefiji.com and www.aquariusfiji.com for great backpacking accommodation. We leave from the beach right out front of both of these and then pick up from Denarau Island, which houses all of the high end resorts. Hilton, Sofitel, Sheraton, just to name a few. This is from the beach as well and it takes 30 mins to get out to the likes of Restaurants, Cloudbreak, Wilkes, etc. We are out in the surf for 4 to 6 hours, weather depending and go to the best spot of the day. These waves have been misconceived as being only for the elite but all 7 breaks are very different and cater for all levels of surfing.
We have snorkeling gear for non-surfers, board rental, full canopy on board (gets like a desert out there), refreshments and safety equipment.
Please email me on [email protected] or call/text me on (679) 9233122
Looking forward to surfing with you.
Vinaka
Teh
Director
Go Surf Fiji

thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber Monday, 18 Jun 2012 at 7:21pm

My experience in Fiji was that the established guides/boat drivers are pretty onto where to go each day.
I never met Vinaka from above, but he seems to know what hes talking about.
@peeler Nomotu is definitely the most gentle wave I surfed in Fiji. At each break The waves tend to be smaller and gentler as you get more inside the channel. But they are all still over coral.
Of course if you can, get to Cloudbreak. I managed to score double overhead and its easily the best wave I have ever surfed. So much raw ocean power. Having said that I've never been to Hawaii.

barreldogs's picture
barreldogs's picture
barreldogs Monday, 18 Jun 2012 at 8:20pm

Sorry, can't help you with boats from Denaru, but can help you with surf reports. When I went, it was in the time when surf exclusivity was in place, but my best mate had his honeymoon on Namotu, and both him and his wife were fine with Namotu. Wilkes, you'll be fine with unless it gets solid, and then - well good luck. Desperations , even though touted as a small wave spot can still pack a decent punch, and I watched a few crew get stuck on the reef inside unable to paddle back out (one actually signalled for the boat to come get him from the other side of the reef - NOT a popular move, and the other pussied out, walked for miles down the reef looking for an easier paddle out. Let's just say he was gone for a while).

As far as the lost climber's report... I'm assuming you had absolutely ZERO interaction with ANY locals you douche. Vinaka means thank you in the local lingo, so take any information from this incredibly reliable source as you see fit.

Regardless of skill level, you WILL find waves in Fiji. Know your limits, and drink bottled water regardless of what you hear.