Any one tried 5 fins

shaun's picture
shaun started the topic in Sunday, 8 Apr 2012 at 10:00am

thinking of trying it

victor's picture
victor's picture
victor Sunday, 8 Apr 2012 at 11:30am

griffin surfboards hawaii , web sites worth alook 5 fin setup,very different placement of the 3rear fins....

woohcs's picture
woohcs's picture
woohcs Sunday, 8 Apr 2012 at 6:15pm

surfed with a fella at phillip island last year who swore by five fins. got heaps o drive, and could still release the tail. he said the board never felt quite right, then one day 5 fined up for fun and bingo! Cant hurt trying

non-local's picture
non-local's picture
non-local Monday, 9 Apr 2012 at 7:38am

Just got hold of a little keel fin, FCS make them, like the one that Kelly has in his board. Not really 5 whole fins but more like 4 1/4 fins, so good to ride. You get all the speed and flow of your quad setup but when you plant the back foot you get this hold from the keel base, sorted out a lot of issues that the quad has in solid surf.
In 1988 a mate was onto 5 fin setups with a keel fin but he used flex fins for his quad setup, his slid out too much.
Go check out the FCS website and have a look at the VS Knubster, this little baby is so good.
I don't work for them but I am impressed with this little baby.

silentp's picture
silentp's picture
silentp Monday, 9 Apr 2012 at 3:34pm

Have got a firewire elfuego that generates crazy speed as a quad but gets a bit sketchy when things get bigger, got a future fins nubster(couldnt find in oz had to order from US)and it irons out the problems you can have without sacrificing too much speed, love it!

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Monday, 9 Apr 2012 at 4:58pm

Have got a firewire elfuego that generates crazy speed as a quad but gets a bit sketchy when things get bigger, got a future fins nubster(couldnt find in oz had to order from US)and it irons out the problems you can have without sacrificing too much speed, love it!

By: "silentp"

Thanks mate would you have a link where you bought it?

silentp's picture
silentp's picture
silentp Monday, 9 Apr 2012 at 9:49pm

checkout mdsurfstore.com

should add that the nubster was only really beneficial when waves had a bit of push, didnt like it in weak small stuff,bogged the board down too much.elfuego is a hybrid/fish type board. I guess it would be a different story on a performance shortboard quad

mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207's picture
mikehunt207 Monday, 9 Apr 2012 at 11:01pm

Tom Hoye of Precision Equip Surfboards in Margaret River has been making 5 fin surfboards ( among every other kind of board) for 25 yrs, the Da Claw model is fast smooth and surprisingly loose.They come in everything from a short fish style boards to 10,0 guns. Tom makes the complete board from the shape to paint ,glass and even foils his own fins so boards take time to get but the end product is great quality and the custom ordering process is an old school experience in itself. A real surfboard from a real shaper something of a rarity these days.No shaping machine, No website but give him a call he would be stoked to tell you all about Da Claw.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Thursday, 12 Apr 2012 at 10:16pm

checkout mdsurfstore.com

should add that the nubster was only really beneficial when waves had a bit of push, didnt like it in weak small stuff,bogged the board down too much.elfuego is a hybrid/fish type board. I guess it would be a different story on a performance shortboard quad

By: "silentp"

After postage it came out to $35, so I am going to my own fiberglass fin to the same dimensions

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 20 Jul 2015 at 4:22pm

Id love to try one of those 5 fins Griffins.

Tried the nubster thing and gave it a good run( few weeks) in theory it sounds great, but I didn't dig it just felt like a quad with drag.

If you have futures and its a very snug fit, id recommended sanding or scrapping it so the fits not too tight, once in they can be near impossible to get out.

rees0's picture
rees0's picture
rees0 Monday, 20 Jul 2015 at 4:37pm

Wax the side of the fin base indo they will never get stuck, the tighter those fins are in there the better i believe.

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Monday, 20 Jul 2015 at 5:31pm

5 Nup, I have got a Steg though...6 fins...Glen Winton shape