How many barrels have you had on the one wave?

shaun's picture
shaun started the topic in Sunday, 8 Apr 2012 at 9:58am

3 so far

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Saturday, 14 Apr 2012 at 9:42pm

legend!

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Saturday, 14 Apr 2012 at 9:46pm

legend!

By: "mrsbradpitt"

Yes, in my mind anyway

therealneil's picture
therealneil's picture
therealneil Saturday, 14 Apr 2012 at 10:36pm

I called myself Terry two toobs for a while cos I wunce got 2 tooobs on one wave, name didn't stick though, they were back n crack shacks(where only your back and arse crack are shacked) , do they count?

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Sunday, 15 Apr 2012 at 3:39pm

This is quite subjective .... many may call a Baz when its only a Head dip . ( this is not a reflection of post's above ) just thought it should be clarified , or even maybe another thread is deserved ......

I think 3 is only really possible on classic waves , like Deserts , One Palm , maybe Lennox . Most waves at the " super bank " apart from the outside rock snapper section couldn't really be characterised as Barrels , and any muppet claiming them there should take a long hard look at themselves ......

I also look down on the art of " Pig doggin " , where is the Blurred line of are you actually standing up drawn .... If ya can't stand in it , its not a Bazza .... Tubes were an icy pole in the eightees ,, right ?

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Sunday, 15 Apr 2012 at 5:23pm

Southy, if you get 3 then it is a classic wave, point taken, need to name the break.

25 years ago at cape St. Francis. took off at killers pulled in came out went back in going through the take off at Bruces, then again on the inside section, it was a special wave, the other 20 odd waves I got that day I only got 2 on each of them.

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Sunday, 15 Apr 2012 at 8:13pm

shaun,
so is that a total of 43 barrels in your life time??

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Sunday, 15 Apr 2012 at 9:37pm

AW I was just jokin about the extra 40 mrsbadbreath

non-local's picture
non-local's picture
non-local Monday, 16 Apr 2012 at 7:40am

I also look down on the art of " Pig doggin " , where is the Blurred line of are you actually standing up drawn .... If ya can't stand in it , its not a Bazza .... Tubes were an icy pole in the eightees ,, right ?

By: "southey"

Are you for real? What about Kelly out at pipe, chopes, Occy at snapper? Neil Purchase Jr and Chappy Jennings out at Kirra R.I.P.? All barrels in my mind.
Most amount I have got on a wave doesnt matter but I did see a guy get about 45 on one wave, it was on the Flowrider.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Monday, 16 Apr 2012 at 9:36am

Yes very much for real ..... I know on certain waves , and I'm looking at you "Supabank " , that very rarely does it Proper KEG .....
I mean you see guys on their backhand or forehand for that matter get all contortionist with up to four limbs connected to the board ( throw in an elbow,or ass in their aswell at some stage . And good luck to them .....

But nothing stirs the emotion of " Letting GO " as Kelly Phrased it ..... Himself , AI , Brucey , JOB , Anthony Walsh , :- ( there's others ) Standing Bolt upright saluting what the wave has to offer , and almost daring it to buck them off .... Thats what stands out from exceptional tube riders , than guys "holding On " for grim death ...... In that instence it doesn't matter if they make it , its the Statement that is made .......

My definition would be if it the swell isn't well overhead , then its a Tube . Above and beyond = equals True Barrel .......

larry1981's picture
larry1981's picture
larry1981 Tuesday, 17 Apr 2012 at 6:50am

southey, your a hellman cause you get big barrells. regardless of whether someone gets barreled on a 3 foot wave or 10 foot wave its a barrel you tool. As long as the rider of that wave enjoys his/her surfing good on em. And yes SUPERBANK barrels

non-local's picture
non-local's picture
non-local Tuesday, 17 Apr 2012 at 7:20am

lary1981, spot on.
I am interested in what planet southey is from, the superbank has a great series of barrels and I have seen and had a few that were even under 3 foot. Apparently Johnny Boy and his gen werent getting barrels at all at pipe when they came up with the pig dog stance.

therealneil's picture
therealneil's picture
therealneil Tuesday, 17 Apr 2012 at 7:31am

Sounding a bit elitist there southy, looking down on pigdogging(wtf?), correct me if I'm wrong but a barrel is a tube is a shack is a cave is a etc etc etc regardless of size, different words same thing?

larry1981's picture
larry1981's picture
larry1981 Tuesday, 17 Apr 2012 at 7:41am

terry two tubes, beware of he who grabs the rail for his surfing doesnt count. love the old fashioned pig dog.

arbus-lessker's picture
arbus-lessker's picture
arbus-lessker Tuesday, 17 Apr 2012 at 3:54pm

I disagree with 'therealneil'....I think that a barrel/shack/tube are all the same thing. I'd say a 'cave' is reserved form something a little more hectic than your run of the mill sandy reef cover up.

I've been surfing 15 years never had more than one barrel in my life on any single wave. And even the waves I have had barrels on, I kind of don't feel that deep, but then the photo's make it look as if i'm pitted so I just assume i'm in there enough to claim it. Then I show ALL my mates at the pub when I'm drunk that don't surf at my level, and keep it on the downlow to the friends that were either with me, or know it's a scam.

If you've had 3 barrels on 1 wave, then you are eiither

- A seasoned ripper/pro
- Unbelivably lucky
- Lying
- Suffering from 'urfing Dysmorphia'

In fact, Swellnet. Can we have a forum on Surfing Dysmorphia. For those of you not aware of what that is, Stab Mag has defined it (although not as Surfing Dysmorphia) but essentially every turn you do looks 20% as good as you think it does.

southey's picture
southey's picture
southey Tuesday, 17 Apr 2012 at 5:41pm

@ Larry layback , at no point in time did i actually state that i rode anything ......

Non Local , also at no point did i dis what guys were doing on waves of Consequence .

If your wrestlin the foamball , especially on your backhand obviously the stability gained is an advantage . Hence the consequences of " letting go " should be considered .

I simply don't like the look of the Pig Dog stall ... Often it sells a wave as a Barrel , when it clearly wouldn't /couldn't have been if half the persons body wasn't connected to the board and the other dragging in the water or next to it ....

All guys do it now at comp. level . I didn't nay say that it takes no skill . And obviously if people are willing to do more Yoga than actual surfing , then there going to be pretty good in Knee high peelers .

My point was that the consquences of not " holding On " was way higher and as such should be held aloft as the ideal level of performance / artistic expression .

As for the Supabank , i know where i'd rather be ... Obviously with 200 less people too .

Yeah , so threes a hat trick .... lucky/(skillfull ) buggers .

Now if someone like Brett Herring , gets Three kegs at SOLID Deserts on his backhand then thats a sight to see whilst in the water . But Johnno from Brisbane had three head dips whilst enfused within wave and has nearly every limb on his board gets three at SB . Then woopdy doo , they both may have had the Vision . But i think " Stab's SD " may come into play .

So i beg this question , what's the most Barrels you've seen someone else get on a real wave ( ie , not a Flowrider ) .....

therealneil's picture
therealneil's picture
therealneil Tuesday, 17 Apr 2012 at 6:23pm

@ Arbus fair call on the cave call me old cobba, it hasn't really become part of the surfie lingo in these here parts( we're a bit slow in ye olde apple isle- cue banjos) so I wasn't sure of it's precise meaning but what you say makes sense, ps wot does teepee mean then?

mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt's picture
mrsbradpitt Wednesday, 18 Apr 2012 at 12:46am

AW I was just jokin about the extra 40 mrsbadbreath

By: "shaun"

Shaun - so thats a grand total of 3 in your career?

therealneil's picture
therealneil's picture
therealneil Wednesday, 18 Apr 2012 at 6:16am

Wow what are the odds? Shauns only 3 barrels of his life were all on one wave!

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Wednesday, 18 Apr 2012 at 6:55am

Yes Neil and Mrs Brads Piss, what are you, odd?

non-local's picture
non-local's picture
non-local Wednesday, 18 Apr 2012 at 7:43am

I saw Parko get about 6 on one wave beetween Little Marley and Big Groyne, Taj in Mexico got 4 on one wave and called it the wave of his life. Had Impossibles a few years ago where everyone was getting 4 - 6 per wave and they were picture perfect.
And Southy I totally agree about letting go, it is the ultimate but on certain monstors it is better to pig dog your way through the heavier bits so you can make it to the next let go.
In the 80's we surfed a seceret spot in near Sydney and one of my highschool mates got so many tubes on one wave that it was ridiculous, we were watching from the boat and it was in and out of absolute kegs the whole way down the line. He got a good rep in school for that day.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Tuesday, 13 Nov 2012 at 6:02pm

How's that wave in Namibia, I saw a movie the other day on it and guys were getting 4-6 legit tubbas every wave!! Holy Shit!!

I think my brain would explode if I even got one of those waves!

desoutc's picture
desoutc's picture
desoutc Wednesday, 14 Nov 2012 at 1:41am

i reckon its quality over quantity, i would rather a super deep 20 second pit than four 5 second cover ups

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Wednesday, 14 Nov 2012 at 11:24am

desoutc - where are you going to find a "super deep 20 sec pit" ???

desoutc's picture
desoutc's picture
desoutc Wednesday, 14 Nov 2012 at 3:55pm

Speaking theoretically fitzy, you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a wave that you'd get barrelled on at least twice as well

blow-in-9999's picture
blow-in-9999's picture
blow-in-9999 Wednesday, 14 Nov 2012 at 5:07pm

Got a triple in Indo. Not that difficult.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Wednesday, 14 Nov 2012 at 6:39pm

got to agree with blowin above. not difficult at g-land deserts or the hundreds of others similar.
My best for length of barrel would be spot some will know as "balas" (Bullets) other name i wont give...only 4 maybe five foot but barreled from start to finish over 15 seconds long. thick fast and heavy only came out to go around a guy duckdiving.then back in again past the channel and on again into a double up dry reef. you often run into people in the barrel at this joint as you can get so deep while it just lets you keep going some dont realise others are still in there.

grog-an's picture
grog-an's picture
grog-an Wednesday, 14 Nov 2012 at 9:07pm

i hope you werent pigdogging it at all groundswell, cause that aint a real barrel.. sorry tube at that size - 4ft.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 15 Nov 2012 at 6:09pm

nope pig dogging. four foot to me is big enough stand tall and stretch my hands up and just drag both hands on the roof. which is actually what i did on that wave as an experiment hand drag but almost fell off the back of my board as i tried it. i might put up a pic of that day.
I can understand you calling four foot waves chest high though.

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 15 Nov 2012 at 7:06pm

Image this day was was around 3-5 foot. 12 foot swell at around 16 seconds but only headhigh to shy of double over head hitting the reef.

Please dont name the wave. secret or not. there are uncrowded days for those who wait.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 16 Nov 2012 at 6:13am

Nice

my_opinion's picture
my_opinion's picture
my_opinion Friday, 16 Nov 2012 at 12:46pm

vimeo.com/28283154 in particular the one starting at 1: 04
Ask this guy if Superbank does its thing! Considering he's one of the best drop-knee riders on the planet, he sure schooled a few people on hows its done there.

No matter which craft you ride you gotta admit thats some sick vision!