COMMENTS.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish started the topic in Tuesday, 13 Mar 2012 at 10:27pm

Need a comment facility for each WOTD, slash sequence.

they are always value, and wanna comment.

plus it gets away from the widgee woodgee widgee of twittersphere negativity which prevails in forums.

WHO'S WITH ME ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 6:25am

Hey Sid,

That's something we've spoken of before but I've always been against it. Reason being, we've maintained a strong 'anti-naming' etiquette in regards to surfspots - especially sensitive ones. As soon as we open up the comments section it's a given that people will start naming spots. Everyone has their own idea of what should be public knowledge and what shouldn't and all it takes is one twurp to blow it each time. And guaranteed that twurp will ALWAYS show up.

We run the WOTD's in Facebook and often have to delete comments or warn people not to name spots. If we had comments available right across the site I'd be forever putting out spot fires.

The problem is if someone else names it yet they do it on our site then we get the blame. It's an accusation that has been made in the past and one we'd like to avoid in the future.

Keen to hear what others think though...

turns's picture
turns's picture
turns Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 6:48am

Stunet - I totally agree with you. Keep WOTD's under wraps. (And Sessions/Galleries for that matter).

Though while it often shits me to see my home coast plastered all over the internet, I must admit I still like looking at a good shot of a local wave, or a local getting barreled.

Those in the know, know. Those that don't can easily do the research with all the aids we have today.

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 9:21am

juz to keep you clear turns its them troublemakers at swellnet that do the comments...once ya send the shot in anywhere you lose control!!! (21 gun salute?????) pfffft wild west?? gave it all away they did!!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 9:27am

Calling Fredo. Calling Fredo.

Come in Fredo...

fredo's picture
fredo's picture
fredo Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 9:55am

I called that sequence "21 Gun Salute"...

Troublemakers??? Not sure about that Jeff!

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 10:01am

Nice photos of my old home break in todays associated photo's with WOTD. Looks and sounds like the boys have been scoring for the last week and a bit.

Got to agree with Stu and Turns comments .

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 10:19am

for fucks sake you whining handbags.

half the time the wave is named anyhoo.

if your posting shots with landmarks you've already skinned the cat, at which point you want to protect the carcus ?

I reckon the whingers and their antics draw heaps more attention to spots than a few happy snaps.

think I'll just keep this thread going as the unofficial WOTD comment threrad, bahaha.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 11:04am

half the time the wave is named anyhoo.

By: "sidthefish"

No it ain't.

I reckon the whingers and their antics draw heaps more attention to spots than a few happy snaps.

Yep, that's often the case.

think I'll just keep this thread going as the unofficial WOTD comment threrad, bahaha.

Knock yourself out.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 11:12am

sweet stu.

but you get me point.

???no comments on Pipe (last week) eg.

think I'll even make up spots names...

SO TODAYS WOTD IS A SPOT CALLED PARANOIDS ON VICs NORTH COAST.

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 11:58am

HAHA sid...ur funny ,i like ya work!!

charles-barkley's picture
charles-barkley's picture
charles-barkley Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 12:10pm

Hey Stu, if you've "maintained a strong 'anti-naming' etiquette in regards to surfspots - especially sensitive ones" there may be a few "spot fires" you want to put out in a couple of recent forums. Over exposure surely isnt your intention but swellnet will always get the blame for providing the platform.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 1:08pm

Sid,

See the above post for why we don't provide comment sections in WOTD/galleries.

Charles,

Be good if that stuff was self-moderated but at least it's buried in the forums and not the comments sections which do more traffic. I'm kinda reluctant to censor people so if it's gonna be said, that's the best place for it.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Wednesday, 14 Mar 2012 at 1:46pm

yeah, all cool stu. no probs, just jivin' the turkey.

I've been on the recieving end of 'secret spot' paranoia in the most extreme form... not much fun.

Being from the goldie, we endured population expolsion year after year, decade after decade... had to live with it, learnt to just get on with life and embrace the kaos.

- different mindset I guess. No point in having barneys with each week's new 'local'.

generally the best surfers got the best waves and didn't have to let tyres down, wax windscreens or other gutless faceless acts of sabotage.

and I'll agree with a comment on another thread, quite often the worst activists are blow-ins themselves at some point in time, whilst the true born n bred'rs are really cool laid back country folk.

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Saturday, 17 Mar 2012 at 10:25pm

TODAYS wotd says why the King is THE KING.

surferjoe's picture
surferjoe's picture
surferjoe Sunday, 18 Mar 2012 at 4:32am

@Sid

Are You the Most Prolific Poster on Swellnet? Stats please Stu?...

Are U and Brew Both doin a Gram of Swellnet a Day?

I am willing to Help U Sid

Remember the Road to Recovery is a Long and Rocky one.... But...

We are Here to Help You!

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Sunday, 18 Mar 2012 at 10:41am

joe, big rap coming from a bloke who's dog has a twitter account.

you need to think about that rather than worry about me,

cos mate, "following" your dog, and visa versa, is just plain kooky.

the-roller's picture
the-roller's picture
the-roller Sunday, 18 Mar 2012 at 11:16am

sid,

of all peeps, you blew the lid off the hinges mate.

and only a mere four months before the minor league tour hits Springbokville, SA. ;-)

http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/Africa/South_Africa/Cape_Town/paranoia/

surferjoe's picture
surferjoe's picture
surferjoe Monday, 19 Mar 2012 at 4:41pm

@Sid

No offence Squidly.. I am a raving lunatic... merely pointing out U & bff Brew are Swellnets Biggest Fans ( Zen and Roller close behind)

Re. Shan... facebook.com/shansiberianhusky has more fb friends than I... marginally... but I cry myself to sleep every night worrying about it