Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Monday, 21 Mar 2022 at 9:16am

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Monday, 21 Mar 2022 at 9:58am

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Monday, 21 Mar 2022 at 12:46pm

Neu. Go Seano go

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 11:21am

few extra from the comments

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 11:31am

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 11:48am

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 12:28pm

1995 they brought out two EPs and still some of their best work in my opinion. Was still a side project for Quan and Ben at this stage. It was great live and somewhat a break from Seattle ‘grunge’ at the time

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 1:22pm

One of my favourite local live acts back in the day.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 1:28pm

Great cover

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 1:43pm

Nice Fitz. Love that Chase the Dragon. Tex has been good in all his incarnations and bands over the years. Bought a BoB CD early nineties but didn’t give it enough cred. Young and stupid into the next big thing Seattle. Tastes change

GreenJam's picture
GreenJam's picture
GreenJam Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 4:13pm

Agree on Tex and the Beasts Seeds. His book is a good one if you havent read it.

thanks Robwilliams - I dig that Bikini Kill tune. My first exposure to them was the Summersault festival at Southport, I think '95. That was an epic lineup.

then just recently I came across the Julie Ruin, and have enjoyed some of that now and again

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Tuesday, 22 Mar 2022 at 6:17pm

Heard this the other day. Sound alright.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 10:40am

Of the Australian music movements of today, I don't know much about the live scenes that have been hit hard of late. Any type. Last I saw Australian hip hop had become allot grittier. Psychedelica had made a come back with more guitars. etc. Indigenous music is getting more air play. Both radio and tv. Always interesting.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 11:23am

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Wednesday, 23 Mar 2022 at 11:24am

the lighthouse keepers.
some great gigs at the Harold Park hotel and various squats around Sydney in the early 80s. ..such a good band!

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 11:08am

Have been going through the CD's, tapes and l.p's at home, converting all to digital files before things disintegrate. Came across a great live album by this band. More Lighthouse Keepers than Minor Threat, but fun to remember the past.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 2:10pm
seeds wrote:

1995 they brought out two EPs and still some of their best work in my opinion. Was still a side project for Quan and Ben at this stage. It was great live and somewhat a break from Seattle ‘grunge’ at the time
https://youtu.be/qRgk3qdXwYQ

I feel like ive already told you this?...

But i went to this little overnight festival up the back of the Sunny Coast in the 94 called the Emundi band bash the Gurge played, I believe it was one of their first gigs, i think everyone was raving about them but i can't remember much of the bands, I never really got into them in the 90s, but over the last few years ive come to appreciate a lot of their stuff (and a lot of other bands i wrote off back then)

I listen to a lot of music podcast interviews and sometimes that makes you curious to revisit and re-listen to stuff in a new light, in the 90s i was a bit to cool for the stuff Triple J flogged :D

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 2:15pm
Robwilliams wrote:

few extra from the comments

https://youtu.be/2UhAB1Ckm9k

Someone mentioned these guys the other day, another band i never really got into but now dig a lot of their stuff, probably didn't get the recognition they should have.

Killer song.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 2:32pm
indo-dreaming wrote:
seeds wrote:

But i went to this little overnight festival up the back of the Sunny Coast in the 94 called the Emundi band bash the Gurge played, I believe it was one of their first gigs, i think everyone was raving about them but i can't remember much of the bands, I never really got into them in the 90s, but over the last few years ive come to appreciate a lot of their stuff (and a lot of other bands i wrote off back then)

I listen to a lot of music podcast interviews and sometimes that makes you curious to revisit and re-listen to stuff in a new light, in the 90s i was a bit to cool for the stuff Triple J flogged :D

It would have to close to first gig if 94
They came from some cool underground bands playing Brizzy. Ben was from Pangaea and Quan from Zoorastia.
How bad is Triple J these days. Barely a song with guitars drums and bass to be heard

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 2:40pm

Regurgitator's first EP was incredible. As a result of that record, my band ended up asking Magoo (their producer) to fly to Adelaide to produce our second EP (this was mid-'96). Didn't realise he'd turn out to be one of the most sought-after producers in the country. Really nice bloke - slept in my spare room for a week, and as he wasn't very well known at the time, charged us a fraction of the rates he'd soon be charging in the following years.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 4:23pm
seeds wrote:
indo-dreaming wrote:
seeds wrote:

It would have to close to first gig if 94
They came from some cool underground bands playing Brizzy. Ben was from Pangaea and Quan from Zoorastia.
How bad is Triple J these days. Barely a song with guitars drums and bass to be heard

Yeah in the podcast i listened too they talk in depth about how they met and previous bands etc and the making of Tu-Plang which is interesting as made in Thailand and they talk about their adventures there.

Some of that Pangaea stuff is okay like this track but a bit generic the Gurge are more interesting overall.

&list=PLLOfla34bYrJt2MqFX97BIzTWtKtwslzi&index=4

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 4:34pm

Something a bit different, i thought it was going to more of a Frente style take on things, but not at all, once it builds up and gets going it's a pretty classy cover.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 25 Mar 2022 at 10:30pm

Here's some earlier stuff Indo. This was when we were seeing them live. I never really got into that album. Good live. Listening to this it doesn’t do it justice to the live sound. One thing it really reminded me how awesome Dave Atkins was on drums. He was later in Resin Dogs which were a different beast but great live
https://consumevalve.bandcamp.com/album/pangaea-raggacore

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 26 Mar 2022 at 7:25pm
seeds wrote:

Here's some earlier stuff Indo. This was when we were seeing them live. I never really got into that album. Good live. Listening to this it doesn’t do it justice to the live sound. One thing it really reminded me how awesome Dave Atkins was on drums. He was later in Resin Dogs which were a different beast but great live
https://consumevalve.bandcamp.com/album/pangaea-raggacore

Sounds very Mothers Milk or earlier Chilli Peppers like, not exactly my thing but can still appreciate how someone might get into it especially live.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 27 Mar 2022 at 7:35am

Found out last minute yesty evening that the Hoodoo Gurus were in town (Kingy Hotel), thought I'd try my luck and see if there were any tickets at the door, managed to get in though it was jam-packed. Didn't bother lining up for a drink, looked like it'd be a half-hour wait at least.

Haven't seen the HG since the late 90's, and they played just as good if not better this time 'round. Kinda staggering how many hit songs they've had over the decades too. Felt pretty old though - don't think I saw anyone in the audience under the age of forty.

Kinda odd to look back at the band's history too - first four albums were incredible, the last of which (Magnum Cum Louder) was released in 1989, about the time I started playing in a band at high school. So, I grew up with HG on the radio and TV, but by the time I was gigging I'd found different music channels and didn't have much interest in their new stuff. So by the mid 90's their appeal had lessened quite a bit, though their early albums remained on high rotation for a while.

And then they became one of my numerous forgotton bands as albums and tapes gave way to CDs, then iTunes and now Spotify etc. I reckon I may have played their tunes perhaps a couple of times in the last twenty years. Wouldn't know any of the names of the new songs or albums they have released since the mid-90's. But... they played a few songs of their brand new album last night and while they weren't in the same league as the old gear, they slotted into the set pretty well (and surprisingly, the audience were quite receptive).

Anyway, great gig, get out and see 'em if you can.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 27 Mar 2022 at 8:37am

Nice one Ben, Stone Age Romeos is such a classic killer first album. Still gets a spin in the car every now and then. Can’t say the material that came after grabbed my attention nearly as much but they were a great live act. Nice to hear they are still doing it loud and proud.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Sunday, 27 Mar 2022 at 10:33am

Check out Sister Rosetta Tharpe from Arkansas playing live in Manchester England at an abandoned railway station in 1964 on YOU TUBE and she was watched by people like Eric Clapton , Jeff beck, Keith Richards and Brian Jones….awesome clip…

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Sunday, 27 Mar 2022 at 10:59am

unreal

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Monday, 28 Mar 2022 at 5:58am

Cheers Udo, ain’t she great!…empty train station concerts should be a thing…band on one side of the tracks audience on the other…nice.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 28 Mar 2022 at 8:34am

Just realised.. Dave Faulkner (Hoodoo Gurus frontman) is 64 years old! Just amazed at how well he still sings - not much difference to when the band were in their prime - as well as how good his endurance is to punch out a ninety minute set, gig after gig on tour.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Monday, 28 Mar 2022 at 11:41am

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Monday, 28 Mar 2022 at 5:40pm

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 28 Mar 2022 at 6:46pm

A man of many talents, nice one Udo.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 28 Mar 2022 at 8:59pm

Some more back catalogue. 90's stuff from the UK.

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Wednesday, 30 Mar 2022 at 7:30pm

Blackers I liked those, sounded like the time, the held notes on the keyboards...

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Wednesday, 30 Mar 2022 at 7:53pm

Right back at you VJ, that is a great album by the Inspiral Carpets, with that signature keyboard sound. Fun times for me, spent most of the 90's in London and saw plenty of great bands.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 31 Mar 2022 at 5:40pm

&list=PLfglulFroVN6-XS1nO1qGPPjXiBvb28mv&index=30

&list=PLfglulFroVN6-XS1nO1qGPPjXiBvb28mv&index=34

velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno's picture
velocityjohnno Thursday, 31 Mar 2022 at 6:22pm

+1 for the Killer Ted's udo. I lol'd at the clip. Also +1, that's the first time I've ever clearly heard the lyrics to that song.

jwithay's picture
jwithay's picture
jwithay Thursday, 31 Mar 2022 at 9:09pm

These four have been doing the rounds at mine of late...

^ for calm

^ for aggro (skip the first 40secs if audio of animal torture is too much)

^ for some misanthropic disco

^ for modern psych

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Thursday, 31 Mar 2022 at 9:29pm

Nice mix jwithay. Liked the last 2 particularly, along with Udo's contributions above. That Killer Teds video is a treat.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 31 Mar 2022 at 10:25pm

Here's a nice pop track getting quite a bit of airplay here atm. Girl is really cute I reckon.

(Vaundy is actually a bloke and sings this song)

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 31 Mar 2022 at 11:31pm

I would if I could Connie.

Scomo has to go.

Has a nice ring to it. Kinda poppy.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 31 Mar 2022 at 11:39pm

Just caught this on Rage. Love cranking this band when I’ve had a skin full.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Thursday, 31 Mar 2022 at 11:52pm

Funny you mention Engelbert. One of my late mother in laws favourites as was the the previously posted BeeGees. Heard it plenty of times and good experiences attach to the songs

Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith's picture
Snuffy Smith Friday, 1 Apr 2022 at 9:15am

The kids are all right.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 1 Apr 2022 at 11:34am

Haha snuffy that was not what I was expecting.

Keep them coming crew.
Seeds had a little look at rage last night too. Interesting as that was a highlight from dave faulkner I only caught the end of. Swellnet's dj's are setting the work tone well. Crew know their tunes.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Friday, 1 Apr 2022 at 11:34am

Yeah. Don’t know why but I didn’t think it’d be Faulkner’s faves.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 1 Apr 2022 at 11:38am

He was saying it was one of his favourite new releases, I had never heard of them, but I live in the dark.

jwithay's picture
jwithay's picture
jwithay Friday, 1 Apr 2022 at 8:18pm

Love me some Peep Tempel!

Not sure about it being a new release though...the band called it quits but frontman Blake is doing his own thing.

Caught'em at Meredith years back just after 'Carol' went big...amazing set in the afternoon sun, many boots held high.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 1 Apr 2022 at 8:34pm

Blake Scott.