Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 24 Jun 2017 at 7:53pm

Where to from there , Stu ?

You just drop the music you were into cause the rest caught up or did you persevere ?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 24 Jun 2017 at 8:11pm

The good thing I guess is that I sought out bands that I may not have otherwise found, and even if the impetus was to 'be different', the result was discovering shit hot music. There was always something a bit harder, weirder, more obscure, or more unpalatable to the masses. I can totally understand why kids would listen to, say, Napalm Death safe in the knowledge the squares would never encroach on their territory.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 24 Jun 2017 at 8:34pm

Thanks for the link Fitzy, twas an enjoyable read.

Probably seen about a dozen of them live but what memories.

Thought Hunters and Collectors might have got a nod, they were pretty good in small venues.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 25 Jun 2017 at 8:41am

Nice Stu

I think many of us surfers got into a lot of music others didn't very early through the exposure of surf vids and even skate vids and mags like Thrasher.

There was some really good music on some early surf vids, obviously the staples like Hunters and collectors, hoodu gurus, Painters and dockers etc, but also in particular Rip Curl vids had great soundtracks from Aussie bands, The Scientist, Exploding white mice,Celibate rifles, Ed Kueper etc then Billabong had lots of USA bands like T.S.O.L, Social distortion etc.

I think the first band i got into from that USA Alternative scene was Sonic Youth Goo through a friend id heard of Mudhoney back then before Nevermind but i was living in Tassie and it was really hard to get our hands on good music.

I remember as a grommet comping back over to Vicco for Summer Holidays and in between surfs all id listen to was RRR and 3PBS and tape anything i like the sound of, end of Summer id go back and the tapes were like gold.

Once i moved back to Vicco i actually really liked that early to mid 90's period public radio was playing any and every band that was in that alternative sounding style and the music scene was so rich so many good bands and so many good USA bands touring and then the early days of festivals like Big day out and Livid they were good sizes but not yet out of control, and as grommet you could still go to a gig and stage dive etc

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 25 Jun 2017 at 8:50am

My post kind of got me thinking

I know you guys have kind of done it with articles on brands and even boards but IMO it would be great if you had a more regular article say every two weeks a flashback nostalgia kind of regular article on different aspects of past surf culture like brands (like you have done) board designs or even things like what happened to this or that, like nose guards or bathe helmets, and also relook at surf vids that were big at the time, or moments in surfing (tommy snap at pipe) and also bands and albums that were tied in with surfing.

I know you have kind of done this but it would great if it was more regular thing, kind of a nostalgia, historic kind ofd trip.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 25 Jun 2017 at 10:03am

Indo - This ain't music related , but we found a board washed up at a local beach where we are hanging .

A Nev shape with Hot Tuna and Brothers Neilson stickers . Gorilla grip 3 circle tail pad and front foot pad . Also sporting the remains of a nose guard.

6'3 * 19 1/2 * 2 7/16

Got a Merrick Davis sticker on the deck and scribed ' For Merrick ' on the stringer so no need to guess who it originally belonged to.

Must have been in the water close to 30 years if it was lost when new. Whilst the deck is heavily shrunk there are no barnacles though which suggests otherwise.

Full memory jogger when I saw it. Good memories .

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 2:00pm

1988 was a big year for a couple of the bands mentioned here: Mudhoney & Napalm Death.

Napalm Death's album From Enslavement to Obliteration was the end-game for the harder, faster brigade (well, maybe the Mentally Murdered EP a year later. Maybe. Featuring THE line-up, though slower).

And then there was Mudhoney's seminal single Touch Me I'm Sick, and the EP Superfuzz Bigmuff....and we all saw where that sub-poppery eventually ended up.

I was lucky to see both bands in their prime. Still go to see Mudhoney when I can. They're Ramones-like in their keep on keeping on-ness. Good value.

Napalm Death metalled out in 1990. But so what? And now this:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jun/23/ed-miliband-radio-2...

Ed Miliband: “I’ve been a groupie for SO long, been to the gigs, got the T-shirt, now’s my chance to meet Napalm Death in person …”

Longevity, hey? We all come round at some stage.

Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 4:45pm

As for surf vids. Hmmm. The 80s.

Apart from Rubber Soul and maybe, maybe Surf into Summer, pretty dire. Oh yeah, Runman was OK too.

Fill me in on any others. Please.

Surf films are a different kettle though. Pre-video. Who doesn't groove on some Bud Shank? And I reckon the tunes in Hoole & McCoy's In Search of Tubular Swells were waaaay better than Jack's later Billabong vid choices.

Surf vids were better known for how lame the soundtracks were, yeah? All Down the Line? Yikes. Reach out and touch somebody!

Gorilla Grip vids? Sheeit. The dogs are talkin'!

The Astrodeck Wave Warriors ones were cod-spazztastic. No can handle!

Actually, my personal fave was the Hot Buttered flick, man, can't recall the title just now but I think it was the third cab off-the-rank after the Sultans of Speed ones. Soundtrack so bad, it was fucking brilliant. Did it creep into the 90s though?

Whatever, those Hot Buttereys made me go surf Periscopes, anyways.

Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 2:40pm

Ha ha minus the song stuck in my head!

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 3:03pm

Captain keg and the frothies - You're such a spunk ( when I'm blind drunk ).

Gorilla grip movies had great music - Lime spiders already got a mention .

Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 4:39pm

Nah, it ain't that ol' Tim Baker song.

Gorilla Grip. Lime Spiders, good. Others, shit-paper. Screaming Jets go offfff!

You in this one, Blowie, ya ol' Gobbler?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 4:56pm

You're obsessed , Shatner.

I'm flattered , but you're not my type. I'm staunchly hetero.

Try Grinder.

PS Screaming Jets did go off - https://m.

Even Kelly said so - just to reassure you cultural cringers out there - but I'm pretty sure it was in one of Tim Bonython's Hawaii series ( Hawaii 91 ? ) not a Gorilla grip movie .

Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 5:05pm

Whatever, still fucking shit-paper. The Jets go offfffffff! Yeah, Kelly.

C'mon, Blowie, why so coy? It's your turn to shine!

Unless...

You're not BULLSHITTING are ya?

What about this one then?

"I tested in the top percentile of IQ in the state I was educated in and attended a school for talented and gifted students."

The question begs...what happened?

Come in spinner.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 5:27pm

Shatner you know which answers are true.

It's why you keep pestering me. Insecurities with yourself .

It's your issue , mate . Not mine .

As to what happened to me ?

Temet nosce. Most profound wisdom I've received or could offer to anyone . The number one key to real happiness.

Then it's a 3 step rule . I actually read that Occy had said this and it's faultless -

1: Have someone to love

2: Have something to do today .

3: Have something to look forward to.

I'm very happy with the path I've taken . It's quite unconventional , but it's me.

Are you happy , Shatner ?

Maybe you need to get away ? A run up the Aussie East coast ? Pretty hard to not have a smile on your face as you fire up the long coast road . Smell of frangipani , ocean sky blue.

https://m.

Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 5:32pm

Goddamn Blowie! Your psychological projection is so profound that somehow I know the answers to your own questions when you decided to interview yourself??

And tell us you beat people up? And tell us all about your oppression - racial and sexual?

And I'm to blame for whatever you've spouted?? 'Cos I'm insecure??

And, and Herc, Sheepdog, Turkey, man, they're all in on it...because, because they know the answers too??

Whoah. R U OK, Blowie?

You've bullshitted yourself into meltdown.

How can we believe anything you've ever said or will say again?

Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 5:57pm

And now the end is near...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 6:07pm

You're To blame for what I've spouted ?

Haha ! You wish .

Get over it , stop stalling threads with your issues and listen to some music !

This album is so highly praised , but also much maligned -by my associates anyway .

I love it . Pivotal music...and that's not a dance move .

therealneil's picture
therealneil's picture
therealneil Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 6:11pm

Great album indeed
And now for something a bit different

therealneil's picture
therealneil's picture
therealneil Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 6:12pm

Great album indeed
And now for something a bit different

Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 6:26pm

R U OK, Blowie?

Shit album too.

Smack with cheese?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 6:35pm

I really liked that Neil. Though I find country music to be extremely site specific.

When I'm beyond the range on the East coast , East of Armidale in SW WA or anywhere on the Southern ocean or the top end and everything in between I find country music enjoyable , not just tolerable .

Horses for courses .

But , yeah , cool song. He seemed pissed.

Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 6:39pm

...And so I face the final curtain...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 6:49pm

Was Marisa Tomei 's Oscar a throwaway ?

Who cares , I've always had a thing for her.

Talking about having a thing .....I'm willing to overlook a few stumbles -

Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 6:51pm

....And more, much more than this...Blowie

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 7:08pm

"I live sweat but I dream light years..."

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 7:28pm

So you relate to that Shatner ?

A whinging , tracky adorned pommy laying HARD into a passer by hours after they've seen the back of them . AKA petty fuckwits obsessed with a stranger that has zero relation to their shitty life other than being the subject of their free floating ire till they're distracted by the next minor discretion.

Living large !

Not.

No wonder you're so entranced with my antics in " exotic " Bali .

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 7:17pm

"Drinks like Richard Burton, dance like John Travolta."

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 7:17pm

go and get a mountain will ya's

blowin. you already like country right?

btw, undoubtedly best scene of the movie.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 7:24pm

Aaahhh ...the lineage unfolds .

I was wondering where that stemmed from . "Fingers in the till " is more revealing but unfortunately the link is terrible.

Great band though.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 7:29pm

"With the record selection,
and the mirror's reflection,
I'm a dancin' with myself."

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 7:33pm

"The purpose? The babies, they're hungry need shelter from the beast."

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 7:42pm

"Chka chka chka chka chka,
Hai!"

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 7:49pm

"What gone bad a-morning,
Can't come good a-evening, wooooooaaaah....."

therealneil's picture
therealneil's picture
therealneil Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 7:55pm

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 8:15pm
Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 8:25pm

Is there a special hell for those that have a place in their lives for ska and Blaze Foley ?

I'll see you there Satan.

But Zen just trumped you both .

And if their is a HIGHER level of hell for rock .....then you can both suck my cock !

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 9:06pm

Don't judge ska and reggae by your mate in year 10 who had blonde dreadlocks, wore a tea cosy on his head, and played Exodus non stop. There's waaaaaay more to it than that. I'd go so far as to say the island of Jamaica has been so musically influential that ANY appreciation of music MUST include some ska and reggae - particularly Studio One, Trojan, and Black Ark releasese - and if your collection is bereft of said sounds...well, not to be a snobbish or anyting, but you're a musical philistine.

therealneil's picture
therealneil's picture
therealneil Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 9:18pm

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 10:38pm

I can't believe your insight . But it was more Madness , suspenders and the Nutty , Nutty , Nutty graffiti that he tagged relentlessly as opposed to blonde dreadlocks .

It pushed my musical horizons back a full five years.

I actually resented him more when I learnt to enjoy the music due to his declared ownership of the sub genre .

Is that the flip side of the coin to your propiertorial feelings towards early era grunge , Stu ?

And are you an example of the reformation that a few years grace can give a man when it feels like the music that exemplified his determinedly unique experience in the world is no longer required to define him ?

When it's no longer a sadness to see others enjoy it but an exultation when you tune others in ?

Not too dissimilar to the feelings that bitter locals get when they push a child into their first wave ?

Now that's a tangent !

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 10:01pm

Irie.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 10:13pm
zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 10:30pm

We monstered this album on an NZ road trip.

I love trawling Youtube for songs of my yoof.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 10:31pm
zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 10:35pm
zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 10:38pm
zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 10:40pm

Ok, last one for the night.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 10:48pm

Take this one with ya Zen

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Tuesday, 27 Jun 2017 at 11:02pm

Love that track Blowie, how good were You Am I live.

Orright, one more to keep the Aussie flavour going.

fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21's picture
fitzroy-21 Wednesday, 28 Jun 2017 at 11:09am

Cheers Zen, some classics there I haven't listened to for a while.

Shatner'sBassoon Wednesday, 28 Jun 2017 at 12:20pm

Urge Overkill...Aussie flavour, Zen-sei? Did they win the hot 100 or something? Please explain...

JJJ overkill.

As for Blowie! As Jason Williamson says, "the man is a wanker."

A pommy song railing against working-class Tories; Turkeys voting for Xmas/Brexit/UKIP/May; EDL twats; the old "the working class can kiss my arse, I've got the foreman's job at last" brigade. Thatcher's fucken progeny.

Here, the B grade:

The Aussie 'aspirational'; the under-educated & over-mortgaged; Howard's 'battlers', Tony's 'tradies'; Pauline's people! YOU, Blowie?

Can you no dig the poetry railing against these willfully ignorant fuck-knuckles?

"Movin' up in the world doesn't mean using the lift, mate/What floor do you want?/Don't mind me – I'm in the fuckin' thing all day."

Surely you, of all people, get the rage - the raging voice of the oppressed and voiceless?

(you being an oppressed, barely controlled, rage machine and all...as you told us)

Anyway, here's some music to mellow you out. You'll like it.

Contain the rage!

(Sssnigger)