Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 6:18pm

AndyM, I think spotify has become a bit of a pain to use on the free version. Might be worth a free trial though and see if you dig up some nuggets - scanning the related artists' best of sections was where it was at. I haven't used it in a few years now.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 6:31pm

I got Black Uhuru from some Sublime samples, not sure which song now but this one still good

trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 6:33pm

Another great place to find music by following the trail of bands that like your favourite bands and such ..wait for it...MySpace, it's a music lovers paradise.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 6:42pm
trippergreenfeet wrote:

Another great place to find music by following the trail of bands that like your favourite bands and such ..wait for it...MySpace, it's a music lovers paradise.

NOOOO!!!!

(OK maybe, not sure)

trippergreenfeet Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 6:53pm
mk1 wrote:
trippergreenfeet wrote:

NOOOO!!!!

(OK maybe, not sure)

Sounds scary has hell but you'd be surprised which bands are using it. Forget all the front page top 40 bullshit, go to your fave bands and look who's friends/following them, there are some real gems to be found.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 7:23pm

TGF - I might need some beers before I check that recommendation

trippergreenfeet Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 7:30pm
mk1 wrote:

TGF - I might need some beers before I check that recommendation

Maybe Sublime's recommendation will do.

https://myspace.com/sublime

trippergreenfeet Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 7:47pm

mk1, http://thepier.org/ is another good one for roots, rock, reggae. Ive' found a stack of music over the last 5 yrs on this site.

A lot of no name/low name bands use the pier to get their music out there by offering free mp3 for download.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 7:49pm

Will check it out TGF.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Tuesday, 2 Feb 2016 at 8:04pm

A simpler time... Or was it lol...

rule303's picture
rule303's picture
rule303 Friday, 5 Feb 2016 at 7:34pm

Pirate Metal

ALESTORM - Shipwrecked

Alestorm Drink

Nice reminder sheepdog

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Sunday, 7 Feb 2016 at 12:49pm

...and for all you Drones fans out there, another gem from the forthcoming album

http://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2016/jan/18/the-drones-to-thi...

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 8:03am

RIP Cliff Burton would have been 54 today-
Bass solo Orion:

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Thursday, 11 Feb 2016 at 8:03am

double post

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Monday, 15 Feb 2016 at 2:35pm

Classic old punk track

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 15 Feb 2016 at 3:44pm

Nice one SD.

Me, I've been sitting here wondering why Ed Kuepper persisted with horns and trumpets and shit for so long. Everyone knows punk ain't brass, except in small doses like Know Your Product and even then it's gotta copy a guitar riff. That's the way it's done and no beret wearing trombonist is gonna change it.

But Ed persisted with brass after The Saints split up. The Laughing Clowns had excess brass and that's why I didn't get into them - still can't get into them. And he also used mucho brasso in his early solo career, yet today I listened to 'Everybodys Got To' and whaddya know, it's got brass and it's good. Real good. Especially 'Too Many Clues' which is brass as brass should be, which is to say it's not bold and brassy, but tight and riffy. Ed composes it like a call and reply style songline. A four chord riff from the blowhard.

Couldn't find the song on any streaming program but it can be downloaded here: 

http://mp3pm.me/song/23400850/Ed_Kuepper_-_Too_Many_Clues/

On the same page there's an ad for a pretty blonde Russian lass if Valentines Day left you cold.

I vaguely remember Too Many Clues as the opening song in Rip Curl's 'Rubber Soul', the original not the modern, sanitary remake. Note to surf companies: don't rehash past glories, you can't surf back into summer and filthy habits should stay just that.

Nostalgia tells me it was 25 foot Tombstones and seven guys tried to make the drop each one getting pitched as Ed Kuepper and his bolshy brass section were swinging and the wave kept reeling for two kilometres down the reef unable to be ridden.

'Cos everything was better back then.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Monday, 15 Feb 2016 at 4:10pm

Loved Rubber Soul, perhaps not the best surfing even at the time it came out, but just the whole vibe, kinda raw Aussie feel, but had a real travel explore type vibe too.

"When theres this party" was the other Ed Kuepper song on that vid.

The whole sound track though was pure gold though, classic Rifles, GOD, The Garden path, i think there was some Exploding white mice in there at the end.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 15 Feb 2016 at 4:15pm

I just had an Ed Kuepper revival.

Songs from the Monty Webber produced O'neil flick staring Herro, the G land pro 95 we were talking about on the other thread and Rubber Soul.

I had Rubber Soul taped onto a cassette, loved that flick and that soundtrack.

Tombies, Bluff, Angas and Nusa Tengarrah .

I remember a review of it in an issue of US Surfer magazine and they were blown away saying it was like 8 pipelines strung together.

They were blown away by the Oz titles being held at medium size mainbreak Margs - with Stomper Mcauliff winning - and saying when was the last time the US titles were held in anything but knee high slop.

And I was thinking Yeah Australia !

Nick Wood at Backdoor with pipeline by The Exploding White Mice.

Good times.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Tuesday, 16 Feb 2016 at 7:04pm

I'm already off the horns. 24 hours is all it took. Thanks for the memories Ed but I'll stick with strings.

Be unreal to find a copy of Rubber Soul but.

Anyone..?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 16 Feb 2016 at 9:01pm

I've got a copy, but I won't be near it for 7 weeks.

Can you wait that long ?

And I'd have to figure out how to get you a copy as its vhs.

I've just received advice that I may be able to put it onto one of those new fangled CD's.

Maybe.

Then I could MAYBE able to get it onto a USB stick.

So proud of myself right now.

Better save the pats on the back for when ( if ) I pull off this miracle act.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Tuesday, 16 Feb 2016 at 9:37pm

I've transferred my VHS copy of Rubber Soul to DVD Stu and can burn you one off. Email me where to send it and I will get on it.

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 12:34pm

A bit early I s'pose, but these blokes are coming next month. One of the under-rated greats, and fucken great live. Their live album HANX is one of those rare live albums that is also one of their best. Any others in that little canon?

Personally, I'd vouch for Bad Brains' THE YOUTH ARE GETTING RESTLESS and Black Flag's WHO'S GOT THE TEN AND A HALF? (production-wise, sounds a lot better than the entirety of their other Rollins-era albums). Oh yeah, and The Who's LIVE AT LEEDS!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 1:01pm

+1 on the Bad Brains and I'd add The Ramones 'It's Alive', recorded NYE 1977.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 4:16pm

All good. I'd add Johnny Cash's prison albums.

And any Peel sessions you'd care to mention. There's a few of 'em.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/sessions/

Ape Anonymous's picture
Ape Anonymous's picture
Ape Anonymous Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 4:18pm
stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 4:25pm

talkingturkey wrote:

All good. I'd add Johnny Cash's prison albums. And any Peel sessions you'd care to mention. There's a few of 'em. http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/johnpeel/sessions/

This isn't even my competition but I'm gonna pull you up on technicality there TT. Peel Sessions are live recordings but they're not played for a live crowd. There's no interaction, no heckling, no spontaneity, the type that comes when a band is playing to impress a huge crowd of drunk up (and drugged up) paying customers.

If the Peel Sessions count then Husker Du's 'Zen Arcade' counts 'cos it was recorded in one take. Same with 'Double Nickels On The Dime' by the Minutemen.

Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 4:51pm

Peel sessions! Absolutely fucken spot on! Where do you start??

Not concert recordings, true, but live, baby, live. Tight musicianship on parade. True bandwork!

And how's his 'festive 50' over the years? Made our Public Broadcaster 'yoof' countdown look like the conservative bollocks it was...

Hang on, did I say 'was'?! It's gotten even fucken worse!!!!!!

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 5:56pm

Far be it from me to be pedantic, ahem, but even by that proviso Stunts (I like that...cool, hey?) some of Peel's sessions were recorded with an audience. Notably at Peel Acres. It was the place to be and yes, farm livin' is the life for me! Hah!

That SLF album was an amalgam of two concerts too, by the way. Not that that matters to my old ears.

Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 6:34pm

Indeed (cheers Shellac)

Back to, let's now say, concert recordings, how could I forget Kiss' ALIVE!!!!!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 19 Feb 2016 at 8:43pm

KISS? An ironic choice SB?

Of all their catalogue the only song I seriously like, as in, I can listen to it without getting the titters, is 2000 Man and that's a Stones song.

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Saturday, 20 Feb 2016 at 12:54am

Stu, I'm rather partial to anything Ace wrote or sang

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 20 Feb 2016 at 8:30am

Kiss were the first band i got into a kid, and Dynasty was the first LP i got and i use to listen to it non stop, and get mum to do my face up like Gene but god listening to those songs their music was pure crap, if they didn't have all the gimmicks that bring back nostalgia for those of that generation, i think they would be forgotten like many bands of that era.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Saturday, 20 Feb 2016 at 9:09am

Ah Peel sessions, yes!
I listened to Pixies BBC sessions all the time. Some of those were way better than the album versions IMO.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 20 Feb 2016 at 9:27am

indo-dreaming wrote:

Kiss were the first band i got into a kid, and Dynasty was the first LP i got and i use to listen to it non stop, and get mum to do my face up like Gene.

Think I've mentioned this before, but about 10 years back I dug out my copy of Dynasty and an envelope fell out from inside it. On the front was scribbly handwriting addressed to the Kiss Army on Park Avenue in New York City. I opened it up and read a letter that I wrote to Gene Simmons when I was eight! I was an enthusiastic little bullshitter ("I play Dynasty 50 times a day") and a nosey little prick too ("Why did Peter Criss leave the band?").

Not sure why my mum didn't post it though I got a bit of a kick reading a letter from the eight year old me.

lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy's picture
lostdoggy Saturday, 20 Feb 2016 at 9:45am

So Kiss was pretty much the wiggles of Generation X.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 20 Feb 2016 at 2:00pm

Mate, not just Generation X, Kiss are still going strong. You'd let your kids go and see these guys right?

...and here's one more shot of Paul's trout pout 'cos it makes the kids go wild.

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 20 Feb 2016 at 2:22pm

Jesus christ - not sure if I'd let em babysit my kids.....
Could at least wash my pots and pans with Gene's hair though.
And to think I loved these guys when I was eight, had hundreds of swap cards, the black tee shirt with the big shiny vinyl KISS symbol and everything.
Detroit rock city baby!

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Monday, 22 Feb 2016 at 12:44pm

Forgot about this one. Butthole Surfers Double Live. Worthy for the album art alone!

Shatner'sBassoon Monday, 22 Feb 2016 at 2:38pm

A tale well told.

http://dangerousminds.net/comments/the_legendary_x-rated_butthole_surfer...

Their 91 show at the Old Lion wasn't quite so, erm, sexually challenged.

And Kiss...why not?

chook's picture
chook's picture
chook Tuesday, 23 Feb 2016 at 5:00pm

best live recording i've come across lately is johnny rivers "at the whisky a go go" from 1963. he opend the club. side a is ok. the magic is on side b...just one long 15-minute track called "john lee hooker". the band really stretches out on this one.

another good live record i found recently is:
del reeves and good time charlies recorded live at the playroom in atlanta georgia from 1973.

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Tuesday, 23 Feb 2016 at 5:22pm

One of my favorite "Live" albums that I have on vinyl wild.

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Tuesday, 23 Feb 2016 at 5:33pm

Or this.Devo's Live album "Now it can be told"

Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 26 Feb 2016 at 3:05pm

RIP Rod Archer the Big Boss Daddy Man.

Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 1 Mar 2016 at 4:53pm
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 5 Mar 2016 at 9:56am

These chicks rock

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Saturday, 5 Mar 2016 at 10:27am

It's always great when you start your day with something awesome and that was it.

Cheers Indo.

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Saturday, 5 Mar 2016 at 12:12pm

I'll second that.

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Saturday, 5 Mar 2016 at 2:13pm

That was unreal Indo - cheers for that.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 5 Mar 2016 at 3:58pm

Try not smiling while those chicks are going crazy.

Legends.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber Saturday, 5 Mar 2016 at 6:18pm

Thanks Indo … magic.