Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 6:03pm

smells like Rick n Roll (to me)

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 7:50pm

No......... No..........No.........No...........No..........No...........No..........No..........No..........No..........No...........No..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 7:58pm

That was perhaps the nastiest thing you've ever done............

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 7:59pm

I need to cleanse my ears.... On my FB feed, there was an MP interview and footage to this track...... Nice stuff..

https://soundcloud.com/engininja/bonjah-something-we-should-know

Bali_vibes's picture
Bali_vibes's picture
Bali_vibes Thursday, 26 Nov 2015 at 8:01pm

Wellymon...... What did I just watch?!

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Saturday, 12 Dec 2015 at 11:54am

&feature=share

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 13 Dec 2015 at 12:56pm

Painters and dockers - Die yuppie die......Owwwwww!

The video is fun as fuck

Shatner'sBassoon Monday, 14 Dec 2015 at 2:42pm

Die Yuppie Die!

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Sunday, 20 Dec 2015 at 2:02am

groundswell's picture
groundswell's picture
groundswell Sunday, 20 Dec 2015 at 2:04am

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Wednesday, 30 Dec 2015 at 6:30pm

RIP

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 31 Dec 2015 at 11:04am

Take one look and die - indeed.

Most hard rock and metal acts were a joke compared to Motorhead.

Cheers Lemmy.

trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet's picture
trippergreenfeet Thursday, 31 Dec 2015 at 11:13am

RIP...also Phil 'Philthy Animal' Taylor of Motorhead checked out recently.

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Thursday, 31 Dec 2015 at 11:56am

No mention of Scott Weiland?

Died recently.

And Guru Josh on Monday.

Who?

:-)

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Thursday, 31 Dec 2015 at 1:37pm

Infinity was a landmark song Zen!

sidthefish's picture
sidthefish's picture
sidthefish Thursday, 31 Dec 2015 at 7:15pm

www.kooriradio.com

LIVE & DEADLY . Awww yeah .

grufnut's picture
grufnut's picture
grufnut Thursday, 31 Dec 2015 at 11:19pm

For anyone that was into the good old aussie punk/ hardcore music (Toe to Toe, Mindsnare, Beanflipper, One Inch Punch etc.) the old singer from Mid Youth Crisis/ OIP since his return from Ireland has started up a folk/ punk band called The Revenants, sounds pretty good from what I've heard, a lot mellower than MYC/ OIP stuff but damn Steve Milligan can belt out a ballad!

Shatner'sBassoon Friday, 22 Jan 2016 at 2:49pm

Another untimely death. Vale John Bradbury. Keep on drumming.

davywayback's picture
davywayback's picture
davywayback Friday, 1 Jan 2016 at 11:17pm

Damn right. Heres the tune that kills me : Check out the Youtube Video. Judy Tzuke " Stop Playin' With My Heart ". Words of advice to me as " a young man ", from s close friend / surf buddie of mine - where he is now who knows - where are you Giles ? . He said " NEVER ..fuck around with someone else's emotions "

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Friday, 1 Jan 2016 at 11:55pm

Front end loader ...I.G

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 2 Jan 2016 at 8:55pm
penmister wrote:

Front end loader ...I.G

And Jesus says - " You guys are fucking great , I think I'll let you join our all star jam "

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Saturday, 2 Jan 2016 at 11:22pm

The all star .........JAM

penmister's picture
penmister's picture
penmister Saturday, 2 Jan 2016 at 11:45pm

Drop the pilot

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 21 Jan 2016 at 6:23pm
Shatner'sBassoon Thursday, 21 Jan 2016 at 7:51pm

"I'm going home..."

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Friday, 22 Jan 2016 at 7:14pm

Guns & Roses are reforming? Wow! Who's excited?

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Saturday, 23 Jan 2016 at 8:37am

Ahh, the 'most dangerous band in the world'!

Said Hank Rollins of GNR, "The most dangerous thing you can do is overdose". Which is nuthin' compared to being in the audience at a GG Allin gig. Good taste prevents me from embedding the 'Bite It You Scum' live clip but don't the audience make 'emselves scarce after the 1 min mark?

Dangerous indeed...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 23 Jan 2016 at 8:54am

"Appetite for destruction" is one of the most perfect albums ever made and some of their other stuff was pretty good, but gunners belong in a different time and place, i wouldn't even go if i was given free tickets.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Sunday, 24 Jan 2016 at 4:44am

Guns n Roses are fucking shite. Always were, always will be. And Axel fucking Rose has got to be one of the greatest fucking wankers of all time.

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Sunday, 24 Jan 2016 at 8:13am

The gunners are no doubt one of the best.

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Sunday, 24 Jan 2016 at 9:07am

talkingturkey wrote:

Guns n Roses are fucking shite. Always were, always will be. And Axel fucking Rose has got to be one of the greatest fucking wankers of all time.

I concur, though I did see Slash join Iggy on stage at Selinas in '93 to play 'Search and Destroy'. That was my GNR moment.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 24 Jan 2016 at 9:40am

Really i thought "appetite" was one of those rare albums that everyone loves.

Axel sure does seem like a wanker especially once the G & R party was over, maybe not a good thing to wish death on anyone, but i think for G & R's sake and his own legacy it would have been better if Axel died partying too hard when they were in their prime.

Shatner'sBassoon Wednesday, 27 Jan 2016 at 8:17pm

Saw these cats on Saturday night in a great little dive in Freo. Two drummers is a visual spectacle and fucken LOUD! Great balls of fire!

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 28 Jan 2016 at 12:50pm

Triple J. I might be in the minority here (no shit!), but it's never been a part of my listening experience in any way, shape or form. I stumbled across this though.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/jan/27/steve-kilbey-i-listened-to-...

Kids don't know shit? Or just no shit, whaddya expect on Triple J?

Oh yeah, and no Thee Oh Sees gig in Adelaide?! Fuck sake.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 28 Jan 2016 at 1:09pm

Great followup response by Steve on Facebook too. 

storm in a teacupwe are very amused by the feeble little backlash against our music reviewing skills.i was contracted...

Posted by Steve Kilbey on Wednesday, 27 January 2016

batfink's picture
batfink's picture
batfink Thursday, 28 Jan 2016 at 1:39pm

I tried listening to JJ as a kid, but they were so busy being beyond cool they entered the world of caricature. I couldn't buy fake try hard cool then, and still can't.

Then there was the latter 80's/early 90's where if it wasn't a rap song it just didn't get played, and disaffected african american teenage ghetto rap just doesn't resonate with me, or frankly, any australian white kid, but so many were happy to drink the cool-aid (notice I spelled that with a c, not a k, how inventively punlike!)

But my kids are of an age, and I have been listening to JJJ on the back of their influence for most of the last 5 years, and quite frankly, unless you want to wade through community radio for the few interesting spots, it is one of the best ways to hear new music.

And goddammit, the new music of the last 5 years has been fantastic. Australian new music in particular has had brilliant moments, and has had substantial international success, and compared to all the big movers and shakers from America (Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, Meghan Taylor, even Kanye West - hard to get past his ego to hear his music) the Australian new music scene is phenomenal.

But 2015 wasn't a great year. The rest of the countdown, especially 100 through to 51, were probably better than any other year, but the closer you got to number 1, the more you felt that 'this just shouldn't be this high.

The top 10 is particularly disappointing, hardly a memorable song in there, but that is sort of the year it was, and I had no high hopes that youthful ears would pick the best songs.

My favourite of the higher rated songs was Rufus - You were right (number 12). That has some class about it. Probably the song that would have resonated best with Steve Kilbey was ASAP Rocky's LSD (Love sex dreams) an understated, moody, classic, dark number.

talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey's picture
talkingturkey Thursday, 28 Jan 2016 at 3:58pm

We back in an 80s scenario? And I don't just mean the whole retro-virus/post post post modern thing.

The 80s was real Dickensian in a "best of times, worst of times" way. Charts, shocking. Underground, high-water mark. This divide was especially noticeable in the States. Though it was pretty much the same here, and even in Britain where the charts are a tad more, dare I say it, sophisticated.

I know there's a lot of really interesting shit going on right now, and it's underground. Shared by cyber-word-of-mouth. And dedicated and passionate cyber-outlets.

Take out the cyber part and that was the 80s mode of finding out about the good, crazy, ground-breaking stuff. The radio a la the Js? Then and now?? Nah. It's still the Ds, the Zs, even the Rs if you're radio-inclined. Which the youngsters are?!

I'm not a big fan of The Drones, though at least they're having a go. Kind of like DiCaprio these days as compared to the 70s Bob, Jack & Al for mine.

Anyway, they didn't even get a mention in the top 100?? Huh? No airplay?

And Batfink, I don't wanna go Hugo A Go-Go, but that Rufus thing?! Stone the crows! What an insipid piece of sweaty lettuce.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 28 Jan 2016 at 6:30pm

OMG how bad is that top ten, to me most of those songs just sound like top 40 songs.

I use to enjoy JJJ when they represented Australian music and actual bands that played live, even the bands i didn't dig at least they were bands.

Public radio like RRR and 3 PBS has also gone to shit with most of their programs playing similar very bland crap with hipster DJs, there still is good stuff but the programs are getting latter and latter and less and less.

Taco's picture
Taco's picture
Taco Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 10:36am

I stopped listening to jjj constantly a few years ago now..to me it's a bit of an embarrassment on the future of australian music not to mention the way the global music industry is headed..Each to their own I guess but I certainly didn't dig Run DMC in the eighties so im definetely not digging the computer generated dribble jjj subject the listeners to today..And has anyone noticed the presenters use the word "bunch" a lot these days?.And "dropping"..I also can't remember the last time any presenter had anything critical to say about any song/band/artist..Its all rainbows and unicorns they love everything.

fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon's picture
fraser-gordon Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 1:15pm

No no not back to the 90's haha.

View post on imgur.com

<script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 1:59pm

Steve Kilbey is spot on - JJJ's top ten are laughable.
Bubblegum pop replete with auto tune and synthesised finger clicks! Tres hilaire!

JJJ have been dead in the water for many years now - as an aside, if I ever meet that young too-cool male announcer who's always "dropping wicked trax" I'll take his fucking eyes out with a blunt pencil.
When most factories and building sites are blasting JJJ, you know you ain't listening to anything "fresh".

So the question is, where is the interesting new music? Where's the innovation? It doesn't have to be that good, just challenge me without a massive brown shitstorm of overproduction.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 4:20pm

I think Double J is closer to what Triple J use to be with a good mix of older true bands and new stuff, JJJ itself to me just sounds like songs that have just missed the top 40.

But maybe I'm just getting old. (i do seem to be whinging a lot lately)

BTW. I dug Run DMC in the 80,s i still don't mind them, i don't actually have that much of a problem with the rap type stuff JJJ play its just its more the music that as AndyM put it , its the "Bubblegum pop replete with auto tune and synthesised finger clicks!" stuff that i just can't listen too.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 5:34pm

AndyM, I found "interesting new music" by going back through old stuff via spotify related artist lists. So many good tunes available its hard to keep up with JJJ's penchant for "devouring the future". Some new music is good but to be realistic most of it won't be relevant in a few years and you will be sick of hearing it for at least another 10. Previously it was impractical to get into different genres or the influences of the influencers, but not so much anymore. There's so much amazing music already out there - blues, jazz, punk, reggae, classical, etc, etc etc.

jesuszomby's picture
jesuszomby's picture
jesuszomby Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 5:37pm

i think it all turned sour after altamont

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 5:46pm

I got into tracking down the sublime samples and originals they covered at one point, wish I still had that list - punk, reggae, dub and soul. So good!

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 5:46pm

I got into tracking down the sublime samples and originals they covered at one point, wish I still had that list - punk, reggae, dub and soul. So good!

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 5:48pm

Indo ya old fart! I initially dismissed JJ as pure nostalgia, I'll have to listen again if they're playing new stuff - although I love them, I don't want to wallow in The Smiths, Nick Cave and Ed Kuepper on a day to day basis.

Cheers mk1, I'll have another crack at Spotify too.

You're right, it's amazing how much good stuff is out there that gets zero radio play in Australia.
For example, a few years ago My Morning Jacket were huge especially in the States, and after a few alt country albums they put out some really good and different music.
Barely a whisper in Oz.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 5:53pm

Some might recognise this from a sublime song, quite a retake. Great song.

mk1's picture
mk1's picture
mk1 Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 5:58pm

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Saturday, 30 Jan 2016 at 6:01pm
mk1 wrote:

Sublime ruled.

They still would if the silly cunt hadn't of OD'd and limited their discography so heavily.

Discography - is that still a thing in 2016 ?