Tunes

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Tuesday, 28 Feb 2012 at 6:47pm

Alright, time for some discussion on what yr all listening too. My iTunes inventory is getting a little stale so I'm up for some inspiration.

Currently loving The Drones' album "Havilah".. incredible songwriting and some of the best recorded guitars and drum I've heard in a long time. I'm a little late to the party with this album but it's on high rotation at the moment and will probably stay there a while. I've seen these guys live once (Fowlers, Adelaide) and fortunately they're incredible on stage too. Can't wait to see them again.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 26 Jan 2024 at 11:22pm

Celebrating in appropriate fashion, Cosmic Psychos playing their hits, from Custom Credit to David Lee Roth. Fuckwit City a highlight.
Zeke played an hour, straight up, no breather between songs. Not big on the banter but powerful music Nice use of synchronized elevated fists, arms and guitars. Very tight, Best version of a KISS song I have heard (Shout it out loud).
Opening act was The Stripp. Local band, great sound. Great cover of The Datsuns Mean Mother Fucker. Lead singer has the chops and plays good rhythm guitar.
Ace night with the lad and his mate. Life is pretty good when your kid drives you home from a gig, talking music. Fun.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 26 Jan 2024 at 11:29pm

A sampler. Get out and see some music.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 27 Jan 2024 at 12:05am

Love the Cosmic Psychos clip. No flag waving of the Indo kind or of the kind I alluded to, that as always (wordsmith) Adam12 described succinctly.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 27 Jan 2024 at 12:08am
seeds wrote:

Love the Cosmic Psychos clip. No flag waving of the Indo kind or of the kind I alluded to, that as always (wordsmith) Adam12 described succinctly.

All good (not so) clean fun. Agree, no O2 for Gilligan.(thanks Base Six).

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 27 Jan 2024 at 12:23am

Drove around a bit today. Didn’t see many flags on cars, fences, bodies etc. Not like past years. Maybe Woollies and Aldi “woke” people up to real Aussie pride of days of yore. Understatement!
Beware the quiet one. Not the oxygen thief. He’s all out of breath when the………

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Saturday, 27 Jan 2024 at 1:02am

{ Apology }

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Saturday, 27 Jan 2024 at 1:40am

[Factcheck] tbb [126] Clip [Lame]...by 'The' Beaches (Canadian Band)

Same / Very similar names & Time frames...

tbb did share he was a recent fan...of both The / Beaches bands as it now seems!
Just thought the sound was a little 'too different'
Although the Instrumentals & [Lame] have similar all group beat Harmony!
The Lead vocals on [Lame] threw tbb a bit...did share it sounded different but still cool!
More so the drums...tbb knows that's a different sound...again, big fan of both drummers!
Now know why!

[ Correction ] So sorry Gurlz...Really Cool Tracks from both similar named all girl bands.

Share both Chix Bands > Beaches / The Beaches fan sites to avoid further all Girl confusion!

Beaches (Australian) 5 piece Chix Psychedelic Band...can clearly hear Guitar/s...reason why tbb checked!
https://www.facebook.com/beachesband/

The Beaches (Canadian) 4 piece Chix Pop Rock Band as [ Lame ] Clip Shows...makes sense now!
https://www.facebook.com/thebeachesband/

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Saturday, 27 Jan 2024 at 10:00am

Go easy on yourself TBB.

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 28 Jan 2024 at 2:03pm

Johnny by Bruce by Johnny.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Sunday, 28 Jan 2024 at 11:41pm

C

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Sunday, 28 Jan 2024 at 11:50pm

Cover versions of great songs are usually hit or miss, but put in the hands of probably the greatest female vocalists of the past century, they can't miss...

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Monday, 29 Jan 2024 at 11:28am

blackers...advises tbb not to BEAT himself up over same band names of same era.
No danger of that...in fact tbb will turn up the heat on same name bands with Dual Beat Duel!
Still recall as yesterday...tbb was a fan of both Beat Bands back in the day & bought both [ Beat ] LPs.
That's why it was natural for tbb to sort same era [ The (2) Beaches] from [ The (2) Beats ]
(Almost a 4 way Bea _ Beatles Paradox...just crazy!) & might add...all darn good bands!

Crew all know of UK Ska Band ~ The Beat.
[ UK/EU The Beat ] [ UK Beat in US ] [ British Beat in OZ ]

1976 SFC New Wave / 60's Beat Band The Nerves (Original) Hangin' on the Telephone (Blondie)
Gotta share the secret of UK Power Pop meets Punk ethic to blast off US New Wave
(Explosive Beginnings) Beatles : All I gotta Do/Cover > Surefire Punked out Mega New Wave Hit...

&list=RDEM5b0OvMfGEmdIaPLSfnyQFQ&index=21

Nerves / Singer Drummer Collins > Singer Guitar with The Breakaways....
The Beat ~ [ US The Beat ] [ EU Paul Collins Beat ]
All Collins bands recorded 'Walking Out Love' also often performs song Live with Green Day..
We're talkin'...
(US Who / Ringo / Spector > New Wave Powerpop Mods Lineage) Secret Affair drummer
Eddie Money > Television > Replacements > The Knack > Romantics > Green Day > White Stripes

&t=86s

1983 Both Beat Bands leaders Paul /Dave met and remained mates & All Beat Fans are Up Beat
Can't Beat That!
2012 The 2 Beats Hearting as 1 (Tour)
https://www.brooklynvegan.com/dave-wakeling-a/

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Monday, 29 Jan 2024 at 5:55pm

Nice work, can always rely on you TBB to find a tangent to follow. Will find some Beat to follow you up with, but first it is time to lay Johnny to rest.

And by the man himself.

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Monday, 29 Jan 2024 at 9:20pm

A quad from our R&R GOATs, covering a Benson classic, blowin' the roof off the Grammys, old school with Bon then the Young brothers on stage with the Stones having a blast..

(Lady Gaga likes a duck walk..)

The original and still the best, Bon. RIP...

Think the Young boys were enjoying this...

Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68's picture
Rabbits68 Monday, 29 Jan 2024 at 10:18pm

"The original and still the best, Bon. RIP..."

Amen to that.

Sorry, couldn't help myself, again.....

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Monday, 29 Jan 2024 at 10:26pm

Gettin' funky now. For the drummers..
Any musician can tell you the secret to funk is the "one", and the one that had the original recipe was this guy, the Godfather, featuring the original funky drummer himself Mr. Clyde Stubblefield and the drum break that inspired hip hop for the new generation and launched a million tracks.
From 1968, not the greatest version of this song, but historic...

Queen Aretha could get pretty funky herself, she wrote this song in about half an hour in the studio, and backed by some pretty funky white boys from the deep south, Muscle Shoals Alabama, the legendary Swampers , not seen but definitely heard here...

Then again not seen but heard here, the also legendary Meters Just Kissed my Baby....

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Monday, 29 Jan 2024 at 10:31pm

blackers tangent just outed the truth on Beaches > Beats Paradox...(above)
Hodad crew will know how tbb can officially extend this Bea_ Queue of Bands!
US /Oz Bands wanting to sound British also wanna ride The Beatles tail & why not indeed!

Record Store > Beach Boys///Beaches||Beat ///Beatles\\\Beau Brummels\\Bee Gees

See how yer new favs Beaches / Beat rub shoulders with Giants...crowding that Queue is no accident!
That's why neither Beaches / Beat bands wanna back down & dig in to hold their ground!
US Beau Brummels love of all things Beatles...why not slip a few US records to Beatles Fans...Huh!
Buy latest 2 Beatles Hits from Record Bar > next band Beau Brummels spins on yer Turntable...Oops!
Looks like the Beatles! Sounds like the Beatles or The Stones or maybe even Beau Brummelstones
US Prisoners of UK invasion...
Band spent their life fighting off tall tales of riding on Beatles tail...Who! Us...Wot you sayin'!
Yet again...another Bea _ quality band...perhaps The Beatles sound test new kids on the block!

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Tuesday, 30 Jan 2024 at 1:13am

Don't know how I forgot to include this one in my post above, how could I leave out one of the greatest black artists of the twentieth century, the one, the only, the great Mr. Randy Watson and his band Sexual Chocolate with a scaled down live performance of one of Stevie Wonder's great songs, written for Muhammad Ali, starring in his own biopic, "The Greatest", sit back and enjoy one of the great all timers...

adam12's picture
adam12's picture
adam12 Tuesday, 30 Jan 2024 at 2:15am

When two of your all time favorite bands and songs become one... a master monster mash up.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 30 Jan 2024 at 7:02pm

seems topical, given the bullshark stuff on the shark thread.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Tuesday, 30 Jan 2024 at 8:20pm

for @adam & @roadkill

(uses chords: DGAF ; )

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Tuesday, 30 Jan 2024 at 8:26pm

Beating each other up you think? It's getting way too willing elsewhere.
Some local gear for TBB. Beat or rockabilly, plenty same originally, but not ska. Still good.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 4:05pm

blackers beat tribute

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Wednesday, 31 Jan 2024 at 6:23pm

I accidentally typed this in the Embarrassing Songs thread and had to delete it, not just because it was the wrong thread but it also lowered the tone from TBB's recent offerings.

During a weekend trip to Aldi - Saturday, mid-afternoon - I heard volume-up-to-11 loud music coming from an apartment above a row of shops. Windows down, let the neighbours suffer, I'm sure people in the next suburb could hear the din.

Took a moment to realise it wasn't recorded music but was being played live. Real messy mix too, bass guitar too loud, vocals barely audible, all instruments slightly out of time. I recognised the tune but it wasn't till I'd gone inside, wandered up and down the aisles that it hit me.

Long live ANL.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 11:06am

?si=SmieozN2XL1Uzyts
?si=kvLMWqUcluudMWJ
?si=3FeZuHME5uKX2OfQ
?si=vzrzbJo3fHxSC6op
?si=qqofH-Xgz7L45qdz
?si=xb2-f3J84-7rdUHk

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 1:52pm

;)

https://m.

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Thursday, 1 Feb 2024 at 9:39pm
stunet wrote:

I accidentally typed this in the Embarrassing Songs thread and had to delete it, not just because it was the wrong thread but it also lowered the tone from TBB's recent offerings.

During a weekend trip to Aldi - Saturday, mid-afternoon - I heard volume-up-to-11 loud music coming from an apartment above a row of shops. Windows down, let the neighbours suffer, I'm sure people in the next suburb could hear the din.

Took a moment to realise it wasn't recorded music but was being played live. Real messy mix too, bass guitar too loud, vocals barely audible, all instruments slightly out of time. I recognised the tune but it wasn't till I'd gone inside, wandered up and down the aisles that it hit me.

Long live ANL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH7pOUm5s9k

sooo good! Brought on a couple of similarly visceral and innocuous memories, I'll share one:

I was driving from my girlfriend's place in 1990, bit hungover, Adelaide blue-sky summer day, 30 degrees, south breeze, and I could hear faint jamming from somewhere.. I tracked it down, and parked outside a suburban garage, a band was jamming Radiators 'Head'. I parked the Cortina wagon, lifted the back and lay down for a bit. (Similar mix to above, bass players seem to have the only phatt amps in backyard bands). Listened to about four songs, and the band wandered out ('these chips need gravy' they were called from memory) for a smoke, they were stoked to have had an unrealised audience, and we had a chat and I pootled off. Jeez my day was good after that. So glad these little neighborhood punk things can still happen in 2024.

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Friday, 2 Feb 2024 at 2:31am

tbb will lower the tone by sneaking in a Rockabilly tribute
Reward for blackers dealin' out them hot pair of rockabillies!
Back to basics with emphasis on surf rats beating up a classic.
Had this one on ice for a while...waitin' for the wheels to turn...

Only all the biggest names cover this classic...ya gonna have to step it up...punk!
No sweat...Surf Rats got ya covered & will take ya for a ride to the other side!

Grom : "That's Ballsy...them pack of Surf Rats got away with butcherin' that Classic , hey Pop!"
Hodad : "Them Rockabills always get yer blood boilin' son...another clean getaway...Damn them!"

Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001 Friday, 2 Feb 2024 at 9:07am
stunet wrote:

Long live ANL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH7pOUm5s9k

Saw them at the Arthouse (RIP) back in 2006. They were in fine form with Animal still an amazing performer. Classic gig with punks climbing in through the windows to avoid paying and smuggling in a heap of booze.

Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001 Friday, 2 Feb 2024 at 9:40am

Local Melbourne band who are in the process of recording their debut album...looking forward to it:

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 2 Feb 2024 at 10:29am

?si=z6xssmp5zyj7Y2o8
?si=aZukvSPEJDZUF7Lb
?si=CMt7DQibw_kVDnB6
?si=zf3I7XLCxEglnnBr
?si=RkfKvuDyQsmmcP6a
?si=C_zkDTUGNv8iyENW

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Friday, 2 Feb 2024 at 11:02am

?si=d_ONpH404ZXhWmAA

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Friday, 9 Feb 2024 at 7:52pm

Chill tunes for a Friday.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Saturday, 10 Feb 2024 at 12:25pm

?si=EeUsgUUYC673g5h1
?si=am_13iCjIyZ_Z2g5
?si=kXxYKQGYTB2fkZIy
?si=qM76soNup5N9E4at
?si=2Pr9-65FiktNdwvB

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Thursday, 15 Feb 2024 at 7:09pm

J's in town, going tomorrow night :D

"J Mascis brings his guitar to Lunch"
https://www.abc.net.au/listen/programs/doublej-lunch/j-mascis-dinosaur-j...

"Live at RRR: J Mascis
American guitar maestro J Mascis plays a special solo set, live at RRR. Hosted by Pauly P"

https://www.rrr.org.au/explore/programs/live-at-rrr/episodes/28240-live-...

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Saturday, 17 Feb 2024 at 1:11pm

?si=Z3vxaRmqAD3CduCB
?si=7qLbaS6aFu2FSUNs
?si=lbmdXi_RiirdT4Md
?si=0Y4pPetW7t27Sx0v
?si=t1fjkyOh00O_MsoK
?si=bV9Hs2vQMzRQhBq2

basesix's picture
basesix's picture
basesix Sunday, 18 Feb 2024 at 10:18pm

too tempting, a little jolt for the front page topics

(dang, adam12, we almost had number 4!)

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 18 Feb 2024 at 11:21pm

These guys playing again early May I think. Boingas supporting this time.

?si=cGD2VK09CsoVmj33

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Monday, 19 Feb 2024 at 9:50am

Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater's picture
Jelly Flater Friday, 23 Feb 2024 at 3:04pm

Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001 Friday, 23 Feb 2024 at 3:27pm
Jelly Flater wrote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tjH7NyKwlLM

This came from nowhere for me! Wasn't on the radar at all. HUGE fan of Iron Monkey.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Sunday, 25 Feb 2024 at 8:22am
indo-dreaming wrote:

In a social media group that votes on best Indie/alt albums of the year, 1993 is the year.

Fuck it was a good year, heres my list kinda in order but its hard, half a dozen would make my top 50 of all time list.

1. Superchunk-On the mouth
2. Dino Jr-Where ya been
3. Archers of loaf-Icky metal
4. Sebadoh-Bubble & scrape
5. Nirvana-In Utero
6. Smashing Pumpkins-Simease dream
7. You am I - Sound as Ever
8. Screamfeeder- Burn out your name
9. Spiderbait - Shashaglava
10. Primus- Pork Soda

11. Urge Overkill-Saturation
12. Zambian goat hearders- Endorphian
13. Pearl Jam- V's
14. Tool-Underow
15. Swervedriver- Menzal head
16. Fugazi-In on the kill taker
17. Melvins-Houndini
18. The Breeders- last splash
19 Hazel – Toreador of Love
20 The Cruel sea-The honey moon is over

21 Front end loader-ST
22 Redd Kross - Phaseshifter
23 The Fauves- Drive through charisma
24. U2-Zooropa
25.Seaweed-Four
26 Bad Religion-Recipe For Hate
27. Frank black-ST
28. Lemonheads - Come On Feel
29 3D's - The Venus Trail
30. Teenage Fanclub-Thirteen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFVaW3ubOhQ

Heres the top 30 results from group voting.

R00ney's picture
R00ney's picture
R00ney Sunday, 25 Feb 2024 at 1:21pm

Fck, that's a great list.
Hard to take that it's 30 years ago.

I'm going with Icky Mettle as well.
Swervedriver, Polvo, Teenage Fanclub and Slowdive rounds out my top 5.

R00ney's picture
R00ney's picture
R00ney Sunday, 25 Feb 2024 at 1:25pm

Mogwai at MONA the other night.
Get on it if it's your thing, they never seem to disappoint for me.

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Sunday, 25 Feb 2024 at 11:55pm

?si=LR5RQYYdXtWHEcbT
I think it’s pretty good

seeds's picture
seeds's picture
seeds Saturday, 2 Mar 2024 at 9:55pm

Cuppla covers!!!

?si=SP10SRQ0omYQIzQO
Aussie number 2
https://www.deangoodman.com/whole-lotta-rosie/
Seems the curvaceous inflatable was a tribute on later shows
IMG-5503

blackers's picture
blackers's picture
blackers Sunday, 3 Mar 2024 at 4:33pm

Simple things can be fun.

BTW awesome stuff above seeds.

Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams's picture
Robwilliams Wednesday, 6 Mar 2024 at 12:38pm

?si=QMKHcsqKX4MKUNlI
?si=hg-hwyNV3rce6qTm
?si=4Bsie7xYC3FN2llc
?si=csxyiBAVWasiVcRk
?si=dkAj7QaFIjVKYL35
?si=ZmVMajPiQ78NEb_K

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Friday, 8 Mar 2024 at 9:31pm

Happy IWD swellnet chix...

&list=OLAK5uy_nG_y6RzXO031ciY6bFYRDKRQTQyUtfUew&index=4

Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001's picture
Kook-Man2001 Friday, 15 Mar 2024 at 10:10am

Home Front have been on high rotation since '23...

Guest vox in the second clip by the Chisel's frontman. They released a new LP this year...killer stuff.