Vivonne Bay 6 Star Pro...

zephatalien's picture
zephatalien started the topic in Wednesday, 1 Feb 2012 at 3:17am

Good or Bad? Any thoughts youse mob?

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Thursday, 23 Aug 2012 at 7:32pm

Sooooo Zeph...if you are fortunate enough to have a boy and he makes it to 13-16 years and he's talented like you and he thinks kelly slater is the best {or jack robinson} and has his pics up all over his walls and your son is actually really good at surfing and you really like surfing with him. Are you? 1.going to tell him to fawrkorf to the east coast.
2.eat humble pie and help him pursue his dreams?
3.tear all his posters down and make him go surfing with u and your wanker peer group mates?
there's 1 more option! 4. send him over to josiah n ol jeff for some fun that he'll never forget? {goes with 3}

xxxxx peace bruz

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Thursday, 23 Aug 2012 at 7:34pm

sorry zeph....4 goes with 2

shortenm's picture
shortenm's picture
shortenm Thursday, 23 Aug 2012 at 7:57pm

Well said...

zephatalien's picture
zephatalien's picture
zephatalien Saturday, 25 Aug 2012 at 4:43pm

Humbly Jeff,

For obviously I have little experience (yet large opinion), I would look closely at my motivation for wanting to "expose" my son. If living the professional surfing dream is what they have focused life on, then moving to the East coast is probably the way to go...

I think you'll find most South Aussie's who've made a shot at a career in surfing have done the move. Of course we can invite photog's to come get footage of South Aussie grommets ripping it up with some pro's in perfect, empty set-ups but that won't hold sponsorship deals for long... or does it?

I really have no idea... You've done a similar, type thing haven't you Jeff? Does doing a photo shoot in perfect empty waves or holding an obscure competition in the middle of somewhere really hold much significance over the future surfing career of SA's grommets?

I know that South Australian waters are prime for the perfect empty set-up hunter and this will not change too much in the future.

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Saturday, 25 Aug 2012 at 6:02pm

i dont want to 'expose' josiah...i juz like doin stuff with him...i dont agree with the move to the east either...jonny craike is a good friend o mine and they have fun...empty waves and obscure comps primarily mean one thing zeph..."FUN"....i think if you come from a large family lots of people are ok...if you come from a small family its the norm to not like the crowds so much....this is not a hard n fast rule tho but has some truth in it......sorry boys but i'm 1 of 8

zephatalien's picture
zephatalien's picture
zephatalien Monday, 27 Aug 2012 at 10:30am

yeah, fun is fun.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 24 Sep 2012 at 9:34am

Thankfully, you're right about the fact that the Government will be especially wary of any future large scale surfing competitions in SA.

By: "zephatalien"

I wonder if the legacy of the KI Pro has affected SA surfing competitions in general? In particular, this year's Yorkes Classic has been cancelled for the first time I can remember. Obviously the recent demise of longtime sponsor Cutloose may have affected this year's pitch, however my understanding is that last year's event suffered from a few issues - and it was the first time Surfing SA had run the comp (taking over from long time event organisers Surf Culture). Will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Monday, 24 Sep 2012 at 6:48pm

bring on the BBWT to southern oz and let the games begin....such a spectacle....hope the government comes to that party......maybe jeff rowley would win the inaugural event.

jonjon's picture
jonjon's picture
jonjon Monday, 24 Sep 2012 at 8:48pm

I see absolutely no reason the South Australian coasts need to opened up to the surfing industry and this definitely includes surfing competitions. Seriously, if young guys are keen on a career in the surfing industry, farkawf to the east coast... Keep SA free from the global surfing spotlight!

By: "zephatalien"

Zephatali you are funny mate! Don't you think it's ironic that you are crusading against having SA spots in the 'global surfing spotlight' yet you continue to talk about these very spots on a number of global surfing forums. haha. Case(s) in point:
www.swellnet.com.au/forums/1/topics/1125/1
www.swellnet.com.au/forums/1/topics/1125/2
www.buddhayatana.org/blog_KIpolis/?p=216
www.surferm.ag/asp-world-tour/layne-beachley-classic-at-dee-why

In the above sites, (which I found via a simple google search - 'Zephatali Walsh') you have named Yanerbie Bombie in Streaky Bay, Cavaties, Vivonne Bay, Knights all in the context of waves in SA..... This is what I found in 1 minute. How many more are there?

What's that phrase again ? - 'shoot yourself in the foot'

Most interstate surfers in Australia know there are good waves here. Its just they usually have good waves in their backyard also and it is far easier for them to chase good waves around their homes rather than come here.

Luke

p.s. is your above quote actually about the Kangaroo Island Pro (and the environment) as the title of this thread suggests or does it show a deeper meaning of what you're trying to achieve?
Compare your above quote with one of your very first posts on this same thread here-

e wrote:

'My protests weren't about keeping surfers or tourists off of KI's waves at all'

You seem a little confused mate! just sayin!
But nonetheless keep up the posts, they are entertaining lol!!

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Monday, 24 Sep 2012 at 11:09pm

whadda u rekn then jon jon?? {about contests in SA\

why is it that most posts are takn people down instead of giving their own opinion??

maybe we do it in the name of defending ourselves?!

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Monday, 24 Sep 2012 at 11:10pm

good ta see ya done ya homework tho.....

pumping here today no one out...i mean not one surfer in the water.!

jonjon's picture
jonjon's picture
jonjon Tuesday, 25 Sep 2012 at 5:01pm

I think it would be amazing to see a CT or QS comp here in the future Jeff! We definitely have the waves for it. Obviously it would be a boost for local economy, and tourism down the track, but will also be good for many of us in varying ways.

Whether we have the right organisation to run such an event is another story though. It would really take someone like Rip Curl or one of the major brands to stand up and do it at this point in time. Hopefully down the track Surfing SA can regroup and try again using last year's KI pro as valuable experience!

Sure, waves will get crowded for the week or two that the pros are here but then they will go home! Now, for the paranoid people out there that think "their" waves are going to get crowded, remember there are good waves all around Australia! No one cares to travel down here. You don't understand how many friends I have asked to come here from interstate and most have chucked it in the too hard basket. And that's because it is a mission! Endless driving, fuel, camping, cold, sharks, reefs, etc! It really is only the core crew who come here, and they are usually super cruisy anyway.

But back to the KI comp, I do commend Steve Reddy and Tim Doman for taking on such an ambitious project in having a music festival attached to the KI Pro. With that type of event you obviously needed to have as many people there as you can get there to pay the bills. Unfortunately, the general public were met with the most expensive ferry in the world per distance (so I have been told) so getting people to the event was always going to be an issue and that's how it eventually played out. Perhaps Sealink or Tourism SA should have foreseen this as an issue and addressed it accordingly by subsidising tickets for the public?? For this reason, I dont think we should lug alll of the blame squarely on Steve or Tim. And after all, it really is SA and many of us that have lost out by not having this event here again...

jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker's picture
jeff-schmucker Tuesday, 25 Sep 2012 at 9:58pm

phew...are you feeling allright jon jon???

haha nah mate totally agree with you....nice to hear these refreshing comments.......Steve n Tim....hats off to yas lads....i know you guys would have given it a good nudge.....things do go wrong....good luk with ya new ventures.

we are still laughing with the kid from elliston that the cops caught up the top of the tent and got a lil floggn for it....as far as fun went all good reports from KI heard here..

little pricks had 2 surfs at the island today and one at back beach!!!