Swellnet improvements - am I alone here?

goibok's picture
goibok started the topic in Sunday, 11 Sep 2011 at 9:08am

Dear Swellnet,

I actually have you guys as my homepage in order to 'check the surf' during this current period of city dwelling in my life. As a whole its been great to peruse the awesome pics, and generally relevant info put forth by your good selves.

However, may I ask what your plans are with these abhorrent pop-up ads all over the homepage? Perhaps it's just me, but I find it quite offensive to have some crappy product forced down my throat, and although its only one click to rid my screen of them, I am also about one click away from changing my homepage.

Just a thought...

Whilst i'm putting suggestions out there, could I also say that quite a lot of your articles are well written and pertinent to our 'sport/art/practice' of surfing, but personally i'd like to see more articles going that little bit deeper y'know.

I'm not talking so much about acid-induced revelations whilst sitting on the foamball, but just more info about how surfing, and we as surfers are connected intrinsically to a whole bunch of other things.

Things like foreign cultures, communities, environments, adventure and travel, art, music, bonfires on the beach, ...shit - even poetry, I dont know...?

I know you've dabbled in some of the above, just seems to me so much of your diatribe is geared around pro surfing, which (outside of macking chopes) is fairly monotonous to some...

So yeah, put the call out for local writers, artists whatever to start submissions and inject some spice and groove into this virtual click box.

Thanks for everything else.

Best,

Goibok.

poncholarpez's picture
poncholarpez's picture
poncholarpez Sunday, 11 Sep 2011 at 10:05am

No not alone. I found the pop up highly annoying! Definitely wont be buying that product!

Everything else is cool. Just put a pic up of mine on wave of the day every once and a while, jeeezzz!!!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 11 Sep 2011 at 8:00pm

I'll look into the pop-up ads, goibok. I personally haven't seen them, probably because I've configured my browsers not to allow pop-ups (might be worth considering at your end too).

As for your content suggestions - we'll take them on board and see if there's room for such inclusions in our upcoming website revamp, or perhaps further down the track.

We're always happy to hear any other suggestions from anyone else too. In actual fact, we are about to launch a range of improvements across the site over the coming weeks - it'll be interesting to see if there's any cross-over!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 11 Sep 2011 at 11:38pm

Just got some feedback from our advertising team (re: PS3 campaign), who said that there was an issue at their end, and that "it turns out it wasn't an isolated problem". The campaign has been temporarily paused; when it resumes it's likely to be far less intrusive.

goibok's picture
goibok's picture
goibok Monday, 12 Sep 2011 at 1:08am

Thanks Ben.

It's a killer website, you've done well - just thought i'd drop my note in the suggestion box so to speak.

Look forward to to the revamped version...

poncholarpez's picture
poncholarpez's picture
poncholarpez Wednesday, 14 Sep 2011 at 12:59pm

cheers Ben.
It was really annoying when switching from report to report.. You would get a new pop up every time.

If you guys are getting loads of photo's, maybe consider a regional wave of the day? Or maybe another format to get followers pics up there.