Morocco and Portugal

mowgli's picture
mowgli started the topic in Friday, 10 Dec 2010 at 10:24am

anybody here been surfing in Morocco or Portugal?

I'm heading over to Morocco in late Feb and then onto Portugal and Spain in March/April.

dobsy's picture
dobsy's picture
dobsy Friday, 10 Dec 2010 at 10:51am

both is shyte. go the canaries

pepe's picture
pepe's picture
pepe Saturday, 11 Dec 2010 at 6:56am

mowgli, grab the The Stormrider Guide Europe from Low Pressure. You can order it on line. If you are travelling for a few months then recommend some sort of guide. I haven't tried any others but the Stormrider guides give good overviews from how to get there to type of wave.

I had good waves in Portugal out of season too. Morocco was a failed (flat mill pond) mission. But can't say I agree with dobsy, the 8 spots around Agadir (base yourself at Tarhazoute) are world renowed. I haven't being to the canaries.

Don't pass up Spain, in particular Northern Spain. Respect is a must, recommend knowledge of a few local words.

Good luck, happy travelling, would love to hear if you score.
Pepe

mowgli's picture
mowgli's picture
mowgli Saturday, 11 Dec 2010 at 11:49pm

Cheers Pepe.

Yeah I've already got my first week in Taghazout squared away. From the pics and vids I've seen there are epic waves to be had at all sizes if you're willing to look around a bit. I hope there is swell because from what I've been told, the period I'm going is at the end of the consistent swell season. What time of year did you go?

Yeah I'm pretty frothing on Portugal and Spain. I'm not taking any boards with me as I'll only be surfing for the first 3 weeks and then after that I'm heading inland to Germany and all that for a few months yeeeoow!

tommo2's picture
tommo2's picture
tommo2 Sunday, 12 Dec 2010 at 3:18am

If your going to Portugal you can't beet Peniche. I stayed there for a month when I was living overseas and went back again for two weeks it was that good. Plenty of places to surf in pretty well every wind direction and there is always some swell!. Plenty of differant spots that are all in walking distance from each other and if your a confident surfer then you can't beet super Tubes, its very similar to Puerto escondito in Mexico thumping hollow beach break when it works but you need abit of luck to get it good. Most of the time its either to small or messy but you'll get a surf in. If you have a car then there is heaps of places to check out further north of Peniche. you won't have to drive more than an hour, just check down all the dirt roads and you'll easy find somewhere to surf by yourself. The locols are fine but as with everywhere there is 4 dickheads that are always out and don't seem to have jobs. You can't miss them they're are all decked out in rip curl wetsuits with rip curl stickers all over there boards acting like they are sponsered pros but really the local rip curl shop slings them a few free bits and peices.
Other than that I can't recomend the place highly enough, great people great food cheap cold draught beer! Don't try and hok up with any local chicks though they arn't worth the hasle and most of them don't put out unless you meet there brother then there parents and the rest of the family and they like you etc etc but there is heaps od European chicks that all stay at the local surf camps to have some fun with!

tommo2's picture
tommo2's picture
tommo2 Sunday, 12 Dec 2010 at 3:19am

just found this from one of the local surf camps, gives you a pretty good idea of whats there
http://www.penichesurfcamp.com/mod.php?lang=en&mod=P1SurfClasses&w=Location

logger's picture
logger's picture
logger Monday, 13 Dec 2010 at 1:20am

depends on where you are heading in portugal - lots of options along the coast.
Praia da Guincho is a good wave - think the world comp has been held there in the past (i also snagged myself and australian bride at that beach, hence my being here)!!
Further DOWN the coast from there you have city breaks, estoril, costa da caprica etc, all ok when they are working. Caprica can get super busy, little wedges of the groynes.

enjoy dude

mowgli's picture
mowgli's picture
mowgli Monday, 20 Dec 2010 at 6:58am

shit yeah I'm frothing on it already!

e wrote:

Don't try and hok up with any local chicks though they arn't worth the hasle and most of them don't put out unless you meet there brother then there parents and the rest of the family and they like you etc etc but there is heaps od European chicks that all stay at the local surf camps to have some fun with!

exactly the kind of footnote I'm looking for haha!

blak's picture
blak's picture
blak Friday, 7 Jan 2011 at 5:35am

Ive surfed Guincho and various spots up that part of the coast.
Easy to get to from Lisbon. Just rent a car at the airport, and you are there in 30 mins.