Im sick of conventional shortboards

josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2 started the topic in Thursday, 28 Oct 2010 at 7:10am

I don't know about you guys, but I for one am sick of the conventional shortboard, just because the pro's ride them doesn't mean you need to. I know they perform better butts thats only in perfect conditions not 2 foot moosh beach break. Shorter, fatter, wider, more concave and lessrocker boards go alot better in these sorts of conditions. I ride a ci dumpster diver and when moste boards say no this board sais GO. I promise you these boards will change yor entire surfing experiance trust me i also youst to ride a toothpick. but now i love boards like the ci buiscut, lost rocket and the js black box.

Thoughts?

mtw's picture
mtw's picture
mtw Thursday, 28 Oct 2010 at 8:07am

I agree that more and more people are riding the smaller, wider boardsbeing faster and more responsive but I dont think you can say that the pros dont ride them, Kelly, Dane and Mick are all riding them, Dane Reynolds was the one that made the Dumpster Diver popular..

The smaller wider and flatter boards are great in anything less than three foot but become useless in anything bigger. I have always had a short board and a mal in my quiver, but with more and more evidence I think we have more justification with having about three boards in your quiver. I am looking at this at the moment, maybe getting something shorter fatter and wider or a modern fish a convetinal short board as well as a mal.

josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2 Thursday, 28 Oct 2010 at 8:41am

ye I know that the pros started the trend but when was the last time you saw mick ride a fun board in compatition. anyway if your looking for a fun board try the dumpster diver i love it.

dial's picture
dial's picture
dial Thursday, 28 Oct 2010 at 12:09pm

josh, there are a lot more options out there these days. For maybe 20 years, surfboard design was in a thruster rut. Designers these days are taking tried and proven concepts and twisting them to the extreme. I agree, traditional shortboards are boring but if you want to experiment and try something new, now is a great time to do it.

Slater was out riding new stuff at the beginning of the season and the rest were having a bit of a dig. Look who's laughing now.

The hard part is picking one of these new boards. It's like being in a lolly shop but you can't try before you buy.

josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2 Monday, 1 Nov 2010 at 6:20am

I think that before a surf shop buys new stock of a perticular model they should buy one two use as a test modal

thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber Monday, 1 Nov 2010 at 10:11am

ye I know that the pros started the trend but when was the last time you saw mick ride a fun board in compatition.

By: "josh-s"

why would he ride a fun board, when he's trying to win the competition?

I find that its useful to have at least a minimal for when the waves are small, but only when they are small or very fat.

I would much rather ride a shortboard when the waves are good. have tried fish but personally I don't like them.

rosso's picture
rosso's picture
rosso Wednesday, 5 Jan 2011 at 3:46am

Its all about the right board for the conditions. Getting a range of boards will keep you surfing for years. 1-2 foot summer slop gets boring, so get a mal and learn a new way to surf.

My shortboard is 6'10 by 22.5, wide at the tail and nose, with quad fins to loosen it up. I spent an hour with the shaper telling him what I wanted: a beach break board in small to medium waves that flies over flat sections and floats a 100kg surfer.

I never would have gotten such an unsual board in the past, but I think attitudes are changing. I highly recommend experimenting with different boards, it keeps the surf stoke alive.

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Thursday, 6 Jan 2011 at 5:03am

I think that before a surf shop buys new stock of a perticular model they should buy one two use as a test modal

By: "josh-s"

The margins the surf companies subject the independent surf shops to in selling their stock makes test boards for the punter an unlikely option, the only shop I know, and I certainly could be wrong here, is Natural Necessity at Gerringong.
Please don't bite the independents' hand they are struggling to keep afloat.

bigwayne's picture
bigwayne's picture
bigwayne Thursday, 6 Jan 2011 at 10:38pm

yes rosso you have got it i think that most people have forgotten or have no interest in sufing they say that this board is and that board isnt you will only ever get the waves that mother nature lets you and nothing more older guys still sred 2ft burgers and yonger guys have all the fancy airs and hackdowns but have trouble compleating a basic cutty if there are mush burgers on offer ride a mal if there 3ft barrels ride a mal 10ft pointbreak ride a mal learn the basics first then progess if you can cut back on a 9footer and stay in the critcal part of the wave all your shortboard riding will improve

bookster's picture
bookster's picture
bookster Friday, 7 Jan 2011 at 12:00am

Maybe it's due to an aging surfing population... those wafer thin banana boards are fine to paddle around on when you are a young fella with boundless energy or have the paddling fitness down pat, but a bit thicker and wider sees you get a lot more waves (and hence more stoke) when you have a few more years under the belt and perhaps not as much water time as you'd like... My shortboard is a flat rockered, thicker thing, best board I've ridden in a long time!

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Friday, 7 Jan 2011 at 3:57am

After a few years of riding a 5'10" fish, or thereabouts, I've actually jumped back onto conventional equipment. Was given a board to review and left it sitting unridden for a few months cause I didn't think I was interested anymore. Once I'd gotten onto it and also dialled it in (took a few weeks) I realised the thing kills it: fast, loose, responsive and fast. Super fast. Just gotta keep it moving.

Problem is I can't swap between the two. Each rides so differently that it takes a week or two to adjust.

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Friday, 7 Jan 2011 at 11:45am

OOOps sorry I got a little dyslexic and thought the thread was about conventional boardshorts
:) :) :)

bookster's picture
bookster's picture
bookster Friday, 7 Jan 2011 at 9:31pm

Problem is I can't swap between the two. Each rides so differently that it takes a week or two to adjust.

By: "stunet"

Thats the thing isn't it? I know it took me nearly a month to get a feel for my board. I wish it had only been a week... I've got a 6'4" Channel Islands MBM that I haven't ridden for ages... I get on it and feel like I'm sinking!

bigwayne's picture
bigwayne's picture
bigwayne Saturday, 8 Jan 2011 at 6:01am

good to see that you have a sense of humor jaf hey bookster you should ride a mal! no sinking feeling there old mate