Hawaii

stuz's picture
stuz started the topic in Sunday, 17 Oct 2010 at 11:22am

I'm planning a solo trip to Hawaii in March 2011. Can anyone who has been there tell me what it's like in March crowd wise? Is it hard to get waves? I am a experienced, respectful surfer. Cheers.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Sunday, 17 Oct 2010 at 9:02pm

I stayed on the north shore for 6 weeks in march\April a few years ago, I enjoyed it a lot more than other times I've been earlier on in the season. It was way more relaxed, though that depends on what sort of year they've had, whether the locals are starved for waves or been piggin out all winter. Enjoy your holiday.

jazzy's picture
jazzy's picture
jazzy Sunday, 17 Oct 2010 at 9:38pm

i want to know what pipe is like to surf is it really an a-frame or is it just a straight hander.

scoopmaster's picture
scoopmaster's picture
scoopmaster Monday, 18 Oct 2010 at 2:36am

from my regular checking of the pipe surf cam it seems that the most uncrowded conditions occur between may and september, so if you want to score pipe to yourself you may want to move your holidays back a few months.

stuz's picture
stuz's picture
stuz Saturday, 11 Dec 2010 at 12:11pm

Cool, the trip is booked , will be good to just have a look anyway.

nomad1's picture
nomad1's picture
nomad1 Thursday, 15 Sep 2016 at 6:08pm

hate to resurrect a 6yr old thread.. but
Found a couple of these threads talking about late season Hawaii. Considering a trip in first 2 weeks of Nov.
Is this before the whole wsl circus shows up? The Sunset event starts end of Oct. and the Haleiwa event starts on the 12th... Whilst i wouldnt mind watching some of it i would rather avoid crowds of pros.. any idea on what early Nov is like in this respect? Im guessing pretty busy.

It kinda has to be this time of year due to girlfriend changing jobs and needing to take some time off. weighing up Hawaii against a couple other places weve never been.

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Thursday, 15 Sep 2016 at 6:23pm

Portugal comp finishes 29th Oct then there all Hawaii bound i think ?

crg's picture
crg's picture
crg Thursday, 15 Sep 2016 at 6:42pm

Yes mate it will be busy with a combination of locals, local pro's, QS pro's and then CT rookies and vets...
Much prefer late season when everyone's leaving and the locals have had a few waves rather than the early hordes of hungry wannabes...

tux's picture
tux's picture
tux Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 2:53pm

We went at the end of Feb and it was rediculous. Every break had a solid crew on it and there were zero slouches in the water every single break we checked had guys ripping on it. The first day we surfed was was about 4 times overhead...saw some guy get rescued by lifeguard at Lanis...had a little surf down from Pipe where its was less hectic...hour after we left somebody boarder guy hit the bottom and got dragged out by Jamie O I think.
The thing that surprised me as was how wild the ocean is you can be surfing a nice 4 foot spot and two peaks over every second wave is 8-10 foot...then all of a sudden you'll cop an 8-10 foot set of the head then it will go back to 4 foot for the rest of the day. I've seen most of the west coast of SA and WA from the deck of a boat and travelled quiet a bit and nothing prepared me for just how hectic that place is

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 5:45pm

Hawaii is just the best place to surf anywhere in the world. Be humble be cool don't snake
and show some kind of restraint and respect its just fun as. Be a charged up wanna be super
surfer and cop the quickest punch in the face this side of a boxing ring. I would rather surf in Hawaii
then any other spot anywhere except maybe my local. This applies everywhere except pipe.
Don't surf there.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 6:20pm

Have you ever had a crack at pipe evo? Any luck?
It'd be sick to get lucky and score a sneaky quiet session. Don't like my chances though

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 7:56pm

Ever been to North West Oz , Evo ?

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 8:05pm

Back in the 90s I had a fare crack occasionally when it didn't look too crowded
and its definitely one of the worlds best and heaviest waves but I was a lot younger
and got a few I can still recall. Probably the two best waves were when Johnny Boy made me go. 1st one got annihilated 2nd one made the beast.
Today I just give it a miss out of my league and with the intimidating crowd I know I
would get frustrated and take one I shouldn't and end up hurt.
Only around south west area I mainly go to Bali and Hawaii now with family my two
boys surf so its really cool surfing with them. Family and I are off to Portugal, Spain and
France next week so hope to get some different waves over there.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 8:11pm

i was gunna mention that Blowin, thats gotta be one of the best places for a surfer on the planet..

If you haven't evo, give bali a miss next winter and get up there. fuck its nuts

evosurfer's picture
evosurfer's picture
evosurfer Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 9:07pm

To be honest those heavy slabs as I have only seen perfect heavy slabs there
well I'm probably passed it. After my shoulder problem I just cant paddle fast
enough to get over the ledges that's why indo is so good to me in general the
take off is easier. ( no double ups and ledgers ) Hawaii is ok as well if you know
your limitations.

nomad1's picture
nomad1's picture
nomad1 Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 11:48pm

Thanks for the answers, sounds like a place i want to go eventually but maybe early Nov is not the time for me.
Still ive got the 2 weeks off, the girlfriend is cool with going somewhere to surf as long as there is something else to do.. Hawaii seemed to fit.
Live in Europe now so weve been to Spain, Portugal, France a few times.

nomad1's picture
nomad1's picture
nomad1 Friday, 16 Sep 2016 at 11:48pm

Thanks for the answers, sounds like a place i want to go eventually but maybe early Nov is not the time for me.
Still ive got the 2 weeks off, the girlfriend is cool with going somewhere to surf as long as there is something else to do.. Hawaii seemed to fit.
Live in Europe now so weve been to Spain, Portugal, France a few times.

Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ni-biki no inu's picture
Hako o hakonde ... Saturday, 17 Sep 2016 at 5:55am

Go to another island nomad. Oahu has turned into a cesspit.