js black box vs channel islands dumster diver

josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2 started the topic in Sunday, 3 Oct 2010 at 3:59am

hi I am just wandering which one of these boards is a better small wave board and what are the key differences

josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2 Monday, 4 Oct 2010 at 11:31pm

and can you ride them as an everyday board

whetunui's picture
whetunui's picture
whetunui Wednesday, 6 Oct 2010 at 4:58am

Hi Josh,

Not sure about the exact boards you are talking about but I would recommend asking for advice from your local surf store and when you think you have the one you want pegged - ask for a demo model and surf it a bit.

I have found its the best way to see if you like a board before you buy it.

Hope that helps.

nope's picture
nope's picture
nope Tuesday, 12 Oct 2010 at 12:24am

buy it, surf it, sell it or snap it and move on. as for paying corporate suits for a floaty piece of foam? why?

jazzy's picture
jazzy's picture
jazzy Sunday, 17 Oct 2010 at 10:22pm

small boards are for small waves right sort of. big boards go in hard to paddle situations but mals go good in smll weak surf.
mal for small wk surf
mal for strong rips
shorty for sml powerful surf
shorty for wk rips

go super short. .... ;o

jazzy's picture
jazzy's picture
jazzy Sunday, 17 Oct 2010 at 10:24pm

go supa short and skinny just for something new. see david rastabitch for more

jazzy's picture
jazzy's picture
jazzy Sunday, 17 Oct 2010 at 10:26pm

i wanna get a board that doesnt float me when paddling for small days

kdlh's picture
kdlh's picture
kdlh Thursday, 21 Oct 2010 at 2:16am

Dumpster diver is really quick rail-to-rail with the deep single concave the whole way through. Its great for small conditions with a bit of power, where you want to really hack/roundhouse (it's not great for vertical surfing with the low rocker). Its not (in my opinion) an all-round board... can be surfed in solid 4ft + but it struggles. The Blackbox is a much better option (in my opinion) for an all-rounder (even though its not an all-rounder), i feel that it performs better in progressive turn-to-turn surfing, Its super fast generating alot of speed (even in small surf) and can be surfed a little more vertically than a dumpster. I'de also recommend ordering a custom Blak box, trimming the width off a stock one by about 1/8-1/4 inch, so its not too wide...
my dimension - 6'3-4 , 85kgs

boards - Dumpster - 5'10 * 19 5/8 * 2 1/2
Blak Box (Jordy team board, ultrlight blank w/fixed fins) - 6'0 1/2 * 19 1/4 * 2 5/8

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Thursday, 21 Oct 2010 at 10:55am

www.xtranormal.com/watch/7192093/ try this for advice!

josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2's picture
josh-s_2 Saturday, 23 Oct 2010 at 9:17pm

kdlh i understand what your saying, the black box would be a better all round board and it would surf better in 4 foot conditions, that all would be nice if i lived in the central coast or somewhere that holds decent size swell, but i live in Bondi and i have never surfed 4 foot conditions, anyway i bought a similar almost identical board to the dumpster diver from Maddog Byron bay and it's the best thing that's happened to my surfing, just yesterday i was surfing 1 foot and i was having so much fun and it goes so fast. p.s which is faster out of the two.