Travel Photos

Bob Sacamano's picture
Bob Sacamano started the topic in Wednesday, 15 Apr 2020 at 5:12pm

With all this extra time on my hands thanks to Covid-19 isolation I've been sifting through some surf photos I've taken over the past 10 years of travel. Im not that great behind the camera, I'm a lot better at the journey which got me to the place where the photo's were taken. I thought these were worth sharing and then encouraging others to share theirs. Surf and travel/adventure are intrinsically linked, and no doubt theres a good pics and stories out there out there so feel free to share.

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Saturday, 18 Apr 2020 at 11:44pm

Different coast, YS.

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Sunday, 19 Apr 2020 at 5:02pm

Some South Africa...and some other joint.

yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer's picture
yorkessurfer Sunday, 19 Apr 2020 at 6:54pm

I did a late winter spur of the moment surf trip into the South Oz desert a few years back.

With cold fronts moving through the bight and a few days to kill before a favourable weather window developed, we turned onto the red dirt west of Port Augusta and headed up towards Lake Gairdner. First thing of interest we came across was a submarine!

We headed further west and I was surprised at how much wildlife and vegetation there was in places around the Gawler Ranges. There were also reminders of the early settlers whose attempts to tame this harsh land had ended in broken dreams.

We pushed on and spent the night at Pildappa Rock a cool rock formation with a decent little campground. It’s worth spending the night just to see the early morning light on the rock.

We returned to sealed roads and headed on to meet where the coastline pushed north west forming the eastern edge of the Great Australian Bight before setting up at the beach. Some Tassie dudes were already there with a teepee.

The following morning we awoke to another spectacular South Australian sunrise!

The waves were good! Late winter can be hit or miss but come spring time a lot more surfers start turning up so it wasn’t too crowded either.

When the state borders open up again and with overseas holidays off the agenda for the foreseeable future I wonder if the great Aussie road trip will become in vogue again? Mind your manners out there if you go.......

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Sunday, 19 Apr 2020 at 6:59pm

Did you jump off that bridge Pup?

Fraser G's picture
Fraser G's picture
Fraser G Sunday, 19 Apr 2020 at 7:33pm

The Gawler ranges are rad went through coming back from Darwin popped out at Wirrilla and on to the coast..

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Sunday, 19 Apr 2020 at 7:38pm

Fun looking tour , YS.

Pupkin's picture
Pupkin's picture
Pupkin Sunday, 19 Apr 2020 at 10:08pm

Yep, Andy. Funniest thing was ol' Newy mate did it too...and he was scared of heights. We didn't realise till it took him forever to even make his way out there. Gutsy. Did Newcastle proud.

dandandan's picture
dandandan's picture
dandandan Monday, 20 Apr 2020 at 1:52pm

Would very happily read more stories of that period of your life Stu!

Patrick's picture
Patrick's picture
Patrick Monday, 20 Apr 2020 at 3:11pm

Yeah, Stu I'd like to hear more.

tiger's picture
tiger's picture
tiger Monday, 20 Apr 2020 at 4:23pm

Great pics and stories crew. Here's a view I'm betting many have taken in with a binny in hand, regaling at day's end.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 20 Apr 2020 at 4:39pm

UAE
Not many people’s favourite destination, including mine. 40-45 degrees every day over summer. Still, there’s no place in the world I’m not curious to check out

Watching pumping Maldives from an A380 flightdeck & landing in Sydney, perk of the job

zenagain's picture
zenagain's picture
zenagain Monday, 20 Apr 2020 at 6:10pm

We had a layover in Qatar a few years ago and walking out the door was like being punched in the face it was so hot. Flying over Iran was spectacular, such a beautiful country from the air. Good skiing too I'm lead to believe.

Is there surf in the Persian gulf?

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 20 Apr 2020 at 6:21pm
simba's picture
simba's picture
simba Monday, 20 Apr 2020 at 6:20pm

Shore dump are you a pilot?

Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake's picture
Westofthelake Monday, 20 Apr 2020 at 6:23pm

Some sweet pics there shorey. I gotta admit, the UAE is the last place I'd want to visit. That beach pick with the board, is that the Burj Al Arab in the background? Unreal.

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 20 Apr 2020 at 6:33pm

Nah Simba, a professional tea pourer, and a fine one at that haha
Well, I was...
I do have a recreational pilot licence and also a skydiving licence, for fun.
Yeah Zen + Westof, that’s it. It gets like that about 2 days a week in season.
I’ve seen photos of it head high and onshore.

This photo sums up what really sux about the place, taken at a beach where swimming is banned

free image hosting

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 20 Apr 2020 at 6:53pm

Shoredump....isn’t that 2nd photo in Indonesia ?

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 20 Apr 2020 at 7:04pm

Nah Blowin it’s the Maldives. Fun session that one. You know when you’re on a surf trip near the end and you’ve got everything dialled and feel like you can do no wrong, for once, well that was that session. It followed the session on the left after a generous lunch. Same day, same location

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Monday, 20 Apr 2020 at 7:16pm

Sounds like good times.

Uncanny resemblance to XXXXXX ....

Water colour is the same too when the sun is up .

shoredump's picture
shoredump's picture
shoredump Monday, 20 Apr 2020 at 7:38pm

Oh wow sure is

stunet's picture
stunet's picture
stunet Monday, 18 Dec 2023 at 2:40pm

"I took this photo in 1961 or 1962 before I started writing for Surfing World mag. On Friday nights we would all meet at Fairy Meadow drive-in theatre in the back row as we all had boards on our racks. After the movies finished we would take off for Red Head in a rally drive, the aim being to collect signs on the way in from the highway."

-Dave Milnes