Same sex marriage

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog started the topic in Thursday, 10 Aug 2017 at 3:26pm
happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Tuesday, 19 Sep 2017 at 6:29pm

so it will be very interesting if the result turns out to be 'no' when plenty of polls say it should be 'yes'. then we can question whether 'the people have spoken'.....or rather just a 'selection of people have spoken'. labor has plenty of scope to keep this on the agenda either way i believe.

Shatner'sBassoon's picture
Shatner'sBassoon Tuesday, 19 Sep 2017 at 6:58pm

Fuck, what part of 'non-compulsory' ain't sinking in? Let alone the 'non-binding' part. And it's a fucken postal survey, not a plebiscite.

Ya gotta laugh.

http://www.betootaadvocate.com/headlines/abbott-spotted-outside-daughter...

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 19 Sep 2017 at 7:51pm

Pete - It'll usually only show on a colonoscopy .

truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher's picture
truebluebasher Tuesday, 19 Sep 2017 at 8:01pm

Can't hide mildew Junk mail ballots carpeting the cityscape with cheap Tuesday vouchers.
Soggy Ballots will soon have have council street cleaners going on strike.
Just now! Marriage Equality Vote was declared officially worse than Census debacle.
Worst nightmare thingy ever! Thankfully for us, Australia expected nothing less.
Census zeros wasted no time juggling wooden spoon over to AEC ... Go home people!

AndyM's picture
AndyM's picture
AndyM Tuesday, 19 Sep 2017 at 8:31pm

You know what I like?
About 15 minutes ago I was in the middle of a one-street town in northern NSW. I walked up to the post box to post my, well, opinion.
A random couple were walking past and asked, 'hey, did you vote yes'.
When I said 'you better believe it' i got a nice warm hug.
There's still some life left in this country.
Yeah that's what I like.

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Tuesday, 19 Sep 2017 at 8:58pm

Blowin .... that's a deeply symbolic response, and I thank you for it, but no hugs, ok?

Herc's picture
Herc's picture
Herc Tuesday, 19 Sep 2017 at 9:43pm

'A random couple were walking past and asked, 'hey, did you vote yes'.
When I said 'you better believe it' i got a nice warm hug.'

Thank goodness, for a minute I thought that you were going to say that you used Indoless's dutch treat technique of absent mindedly bashing into the lady, to investigate her partner's responce.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 19 Sep 2017 at 9:47pm

We can hug , doesn't mean we're married.

Three books from the library today : Petrol , bait, ammo and ice - H G Nelson.

Adams's empire - Evan Green.

Heroes of the skies - Michael Veitch. Yes, the Michael Veitch from Full Frontal comedy show. Reading it now. First hand accounts from Aussie aircrew in 2nd world war. Captivating stuff. Stoicism and matter of factness under extreme duress told with the slight bewilderment of people that are still amazed and grateful to have survived such crazy situations.

Got to love a library. Zero commitment . If you like a book , great . If you don't , who cares ....it's free .

Sometimes smaller libraries are almost better in that you're forced to read books outside of your usual range. Some pleasant surprises to be had.

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 19 Sep 2017 at 11:05pm

HG Nelson = Funny

Jasonb84's picture
Jasonb84's picture
Jasonb84 Saturday, 23 Sep 2017 at 1:29am

Ok, by late Monday afternoon on the 25th September you should have received your same-sex marriage survey in your mail. If you haven't, I suggest you contact the ABS on: 1800 572 113 because you survey letter may have been stolen from your letter box. Now you need you make sure that once you have filled out your form, it needs to be sent back to the ABS by Friday the 20th October 2017. There is a reply paid envelope to send back your response, it doesn't cost you anything. I would suggest that once your have filled out the form, send it back straight away - don't delay. The results of the same-sex marriage survey will be available from 11.30am AEST on Wednesday 15th November 2017. Remember if you don't vote, you can't exactly complain about the result. https://marriagesurvey.abs.gov.au

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 23 Sep 2017 at 9:28am

Hers Said : A random couple were walking past and asked, 'hey, did you vote yes'.
When I said 'you better believe it' i got a nice warm hug.'

Thank goodness, for a minute I thought that you were going to say that you used Indoless's dutch treat technique of absent mindedly bashing into the lady, to investigate her partner's responce.

@ Herc I'm starting to lose count of the times you are trying to bait me, with sly comments directed at me.

You are obviously butt hurt from our discussion on the treaty thread, normally when people are butt hurt its because they know the other person has good points etc

I have no interest in a pointless bitch fight with you over the internet.

And I'm not sure why you bother using my Dutch ancestry, my father was born in Holland i have 50% Dutch blood but that's about it, i don't even have an interest in visiting Holland.

Shatner'sBassoon Saturday, 23 Sep 2017 at 9:47am

"Butt hurt"!

Indy, are you a professional comedian?

Herc's picture
Herc's picture
Herc Saturday, 23 Sep 2017 at 10:12am

'Thank goodness, for a minute I thought that you were going to say that you used Indoless's dutch treat technique of absent mindedly bashing into the lady, to investigate her partner's responce.'

Dutchie, you said the above. It was you who told us all about your moronic plan, that you were hatching. The goose that layed the dutch egg. As you point out, you are losing lots of things. And as you point out, you are very unsure. You said that you don't read my posts. You say very stupid racist, homophobic shit all of the time. As you point out, you are dutch, went to indo way too late, losing it, racist, homophobic, very unsure and bullshit. I just highlight it. That's all.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 23 Sep 2017 at 3:08pm

Am I losing my mind or are many of the discussions on here lately are from some weird parallel universe and Indo are you saying you are still thinking of that veiled woman at the dandy market?

Its a good thing the surf has been pumping lately so I have better things to occupy my idle mind!

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 23 Sep 2017 at 3:00pm

@Herc Love how you use any angle you can trying to bait and stir me.

You have brought this Indo thing up a few times so just for the record.

It's never too late for Indonesia, if you put in the time there is still areas that are a little more fickle and still uncrowded, I'm not going to name names or areas but its the same deal anywhere in Indonesia even in Mentawais there is spots you can almost guarantee surfing alone, or maybe with the odd charter boat.

But yes i would have loved to have surfed Indo earlier in particular Sumatra.

Im jealous of the guys that got to explore and pioneer Indonesia in the 70,s and 80,s even early 90,s

But i wasn't born early enough and i wasted a few years bumming around partying on the dole and then i did what many guys do, i surfed Bali and the name spot like Lakeys first two trips and then discovered my favourite areas of Indonesia the offshore Islands of Sumatra latter..

But I'm sure not complaining I've spent years of my life in Indonesia surfing fishing and just hanging out and surfed countless perfect waves.

And I'm happy to say i surfed many areas before they were well known, i use to surf Pacitian area a long time before Watu Karang got exposed and I never saw a western surfer, first trip i did to Krui there was only two camps and still uncrowded.

I surfed the Telos years before there was any resorts, i was nowhere near the first to surf those waves, but I've had the joy of not knowing where the waves were and explored with my local friend in his tiny boat for weeks, finding waves and working out the best conditions then surfing them, one wave i love the first time i explored this area i lucked out and it was perfect and i had it to myself, probably the best days surfing I've ever had.

I use to go stay at E-bay (nyang yang) way before the masses did when there was only three resorts open, so still uncrowded, no electricity, no running water use to wash from the spring, just staying with the coconut farmers who back then none could speak a word of english.

Ive also surfed just about every wave between there down to thunders and surfed big name spots totally uncrowded, surfed Telescopes perfect alone and many times with just friends on some pretty good days, surfed small but perfect HT's alone and with only a couple guys, surfed Macaronis alone and with only a few guys.

I also have property in three places in Sumatra all within eye distance of world class waves and i will retire there.

So no i didn't miss it, and even if some guys first year was in Indonesia this year, if they get out and explore its not too late.

And no I'm not Dutch I've never been to Holland, i was never born there i can't speak Dutch, I'm Australian with some Dutch blood, even if i wanted to indetify as Dutch it would be a joke to think I'm Dutch.

And i don't have anything against Dutch people, and don't go thinking Indonesians hate Dutch because they occupied Indonesia for so long, because I've heard and read so many different view points on the Dutch from Indonesians some negative some positive.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 23 Sep 2017 at 3:02pm

@GuySmiley i think the only person thinking about that veiled women at the market is Herc, but yes spring is here and the weather and waves are getting better, i love this time of year, i hate the cold.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 23 Sep 2017 at 3:16pm

@Shanter I'm surprised you haven't heard they saying before http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/butthurt

Basically Herc feels the need to try to stir me up and insult me, because in the past I challenged his views, instead of being a normal person and just understanding we all have different views and just getting on with life.

He feels the need to insult and try to stir up shit for no reason at all.

And this isn't some teen age kid, isn't he 50 something?

I mean seriously who can be bothered bitching with someone online who you don't even know...i mean if its a discussion yeah fine...but sorry i have no interest in tit for tats bitch match with someone online.

Herc's picture
Herc's picture
Herc Saturday, 23 Sep 2017 at 5:58pm

'i mean if its a discussion yeah fine'

You mean this sort of fucked up, sicko, moronic 'discussion'. Another one of your moments of genius dutchie that you are so proud of.

'BTW. i saw a women at the market in Dandenong the other day with a burqua or maybe it was a Niqab it was kind of in-between couldn't see her face though, i was waiting for my missus so did a bit of people watching with her'

'It was quite crowded and was thinking maybe i will accidentally go bump into her and say sorry etc and see if she will interact with me and see the reaction of her husband, but by that time my missus had finished.'

Knocking into people's wives because you felt like it?

Beyond moronic.

goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot's picture
goofyfoot Sunday, 24 Sep 2017 at 12:28am

Blax

lukas's picture
lukas's picture
lukas Sunday, 24 Sep 2017 at 2:34pm

FACT, lots of innocent children need a home. i know you better than that comment. no matter what people think about, um , gay people. homeless kid's need a home. i see what you are sayin, but if you can provide a fair life for these children, this bloke say's to you, i don't care if your gay or not. full stop.

lukas's picture
lukas's picture
lukas Sunday, 24 Sep 2017 at 2:39pm

voodoo

lukas's picture
lukas's picture
lukas Sunday, 24 Sep 2017 at 2:43pm

your stirrin shit right now champ. look at the big picture. don't dig yourself a hole.

lukas's picture
lukas's picture
lukas Sunday, 24 Sep 2017 at 3:58pm

so many fake's among us............. um, what was your real name again.......... i may know.

lukas's picture
lukas's picture
lukas Sunday, 24 Sep 2017 at 4:05pm

swellnet, or spider web............... one does wonder. real..... or fake, ben are ya there ? reel in the baker's dozen, (bunch of doozies)....................

udo's picture
udo's picture
udo Wednesday, 27 Sep 2017 at 8:30am

Here's what an 8yr old thinks about Gay Marriage
Biggy Norris insta.

Optimist's picture
Optimist's picture
Optimist Wednesday, 27 Sep 2017 at 2:51pm

Even these Gay Irishmen make more sense than most people in Australia....

Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 7:14pm
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog's picture
Sheepdog Thursday, 28 Sep 2017 at 7:15pm

Australia has seriously lost it's shit part 2, also known as "seeping sewage into debutante ball"

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-28/macklemore-singing-at-gf-like-seep...

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Friday, 10 Nov 2017 at 7:16pm

Going to be an interesting week next week, i have no idea what the result will be, don't really care much either way.

Whatever the result though i hope the opposing side respects how the majority has voted and that the decision decides the future.

If it's a Yes i hope Liberals vote on it and ensure its gets passed and if it's a NO i hope labor respect that the majority of people have voted No and not go against the will of the people next time they get in.

But I'm expecting whatever the result, the opposing side won't respect the others view :(

Horas's picture
Horas's picture
Horas Saturday, 11 Nov 2017 at 12:21am

Good onya Indo,ya get a couple of critics on here but with land and retirement plans in Sumatra I think your way in front,he who laughs last etc.Subject in hand,who gives a fuck,just don't care ,glad I left Oz.Having a few in Toba tonight,wifes home ground,off to a nice spot soon.HORAS.

Horas's picture
Horas's picture

Good onya Indo,ya get a couple of critics on here but with land and retirement plans in Sumatra I think your way in front,he who laughs last etc.Subject in hand,who gives a fuck,just don't care ,glad I left Oz.Having a few in Toba tonight,wifes home ground,off to a nice spot soon.HORAS.

Horas's picture
Horas's picture

Horas's picture
Horas's picture
Horas Saturday, 11 Nov 2017 at 12:33am

Fuck ,must be on the good gear,don't know how it's come up 3 times,comment stands though ha ha ha ha

sypkan's picture
sypkan's picture
sypkan Saturday, 11 Nov 2017 at 6:38am

Yeh good onya indo, whatever the result, its the will of the people and should be respected.

My prediction is yes will get over the line, but only just, as a result, the outcome will be 'unconvincing' and the conservative liberal hardnuts wont want ro play ball.

Yay...a few more years of non debate, rainbow flags, and vitriol from all

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 11 Nov 2017 at 7:54am

Ha ha cheers Horas.

Yeah i think you are right Sypkan think it will be fairly close but i think it will come back a Yes, if it is hope they just sign it off, and put this all to rest, so we can get o with other issues.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Saturday, 11 Nov 2017 at 8:58am

Out of interest Indo, syp. If it did come back NO, how long should they respect the will of the people for? 5 years?

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 11 Nov 2017 at 11:10am

That's a good question.

I think it would have to voted on again by the public, you would think 5 years would be the min time period but ten years plus more realistic .

It's really not dissimilar to the republic thing...what are we up to on that issue?...15 years i think, I'm sure we will have a vote on that issue again.

# Yes technically survey, but you know what i mean with the word vote/pubic have a say.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Saturday, 11 Nov 2017 at 12:10pm

Fair enough indo. The strong voter turnout probably sets the precedence now for needing a vote again into the future if we get a No this time, unlikely as that appears.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 11 Nov 2017 at 1:36pm

What rot, it doesn't mean any such thing. In the highly unlikely event where there is a NO vote and Labor takes the issue to the next election than they could rightly argue they have a mandate to introduce it immediately ... and all of the electorate would have an an opportunity to vote (unlike in this poll).

Further, this vote serves as no precedent for the future apart as an example of how a duly elected government totally abrogated its responsibility to vote on an important social issue solely to solve internal party fractional problems. Lets all be real here, had the LNP put the vote to parliament many Liberals would have split from the party and the Nationals would have walked away from its COALition. Such is the division in the LNP on this issue the government would have probably fallen.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 11 Nov 2017 at 2:15pm

I don't get it if Labor are so for SSM why didn't Labor change the law last time they were in?

I think its just a case of liberals say black we say white.

BTW. The percentage of people that wold vote either liberal or labor on the issue next election would be tiny, people generally base their vote on things that affect them, like the economy, employment, taxes, housing, infrastructure, health, education, immigration.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 11 Nov 2017 at 3:27pm

FFS Indo, are you seriously that thick?

your black/white comment .... the silent majority of Liberal MPs are for it, its not a Lib v Labor thing at all. True liberalism would dictate that government would not block this but we are not dealing with "liberalism" but "conservative" doctrine which essentially boils down to maintaining the status quo and not introducing anything new and especially anything that conflicts with a conservative view of the world.

Perhaps in your world you have never heard a politician say "the electorate gave the government a mandate at the last election" but if Labor or Liberals take SSM to the next election and win they will have that public vote you wish to defer for another 5 or 10 years (you could get a job with Abbott with thinking like that!)

And finally indo if a YES vote isn't binding on the ultra conservatives that make up the noisy rump of the Liberal Party and all the National Party MP fucktards why should a NO vote be binding on anyone else? Regardless of the size if the YES vote, some LNP members and perhaps a few Labor MPs as well will still vote NO in parliament.

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 11 Nov 2017 at 4:07pm

Okay then explain why is it that last time Labor was in power they didn't change the law?

Didnt they even had a vote in parliament and voted against it?

But now the tune has changed and they say when they get back in power they will change the law.

IMO if they do and the public has voted no that will just be plain wrong to go against the clear wishes of the public, but the same goes if it comes back a Yes vote, i also think it would be wrong for the liberals to not change the law, yeah sure they will have to vote in parliament but they should ensure it gets passed.

Although personally i lean to the NO side, i think the important thing is that the publics wishes should be respected no matter if the public majority vote yes or vote no.

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Saturday, 11 Nov 2017 at 4:23pm

it may not set a precedence in the eyes of politicians but what about the public? maybe the larger public do see that it should be binding???? maybe people are now wedded to their position because of this bullshit exercise that they saw as a national vote with a solid turnout when it was merely a survey of opinion. does a clear division now exist in society on this issue, rather than a debatable "grey" view that a party can mould into its policy platform at the next election. black and white debates which this one has become because of this dumb vote are never helpful.

anyhow, practically its irrelevant, the answer seems Yes. although I wonder, that in a country without a bill of rights if we are heading into dangerous territory having such overly simplified voting activities with nothing more than two boxes and a single sentence on a bit of paper, and where the outcome is merely based on the popular.

GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley's picture
GuySmiley Saturday, 11 Nov 2017 at 4:50pm

FFSx2 Indo, ignore all the relevant facts of the current day and go back 5 years to the last Labor government. Your question could also be put to all the Liberals who also now want to vote YES but were silent or had a different view 5 plus years ago. For the 2nd or 3rd time now (please read this very carefully) this is not a Liberal v Labor thing, both sides of politics want SSM legislated but Turnbull was forced into this vote because of his slim majority in the House of Representatives and the treat of revolt by some in his party and all of his National COALition partners

If you researched this subject with the diligence and energy you do with the refugee question you would already know this but given your seemingly limited knowledge on the subject one could reasonably question where in the hell your getting your opinion(s) from .......... although

indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming's picture
indo-dreaming Saturday, 11 Nov 2017 at 6:23pm

ha ha...im not much of a fan of politics, it's really only the social issues that vaguely interest me.

Now it's gone to a public type vote i just want present and future governments to respect the wishes of the majority which ever way it goes.

Otherwise the whole process is kind of pointless.

I know many people think it is pointless but it's done now and 75% of Aussie that could vote have voted so it's a decent turn out.

If it's really really close i think that will kind of suck, but even then i think you just have to say, whatever it is, it is.

peterb's picture
peterb's picture
peterb Tuesday, 14 Nov 2017 at 8:49am

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy Monday, 13 Nov 2017 at 8:01pm

........but no worries if it was your grand-daughter Peter?

happyasS's picture
happyasS's picture
happyasS Monday, 13 Nov 2017 at 8:03pm

beat me to it BB, by about 6 seconds.

sharkman's picture
sharkman's picture
sharkman Monday, 13 Nov 2017 at 11:57pm

Ha knock knock , and there's my grandson's brother asking to go out with his brother?

Blowin's picture
Blowin's picture
Blowin Tuesday, 14 Nov 2017 at 6:41am

Peter -What if your 18 year old grandson wants Togo out with that fella ?

Does that enter into your thinking ?

Did you give a fuck about your grandfather's opinion on your partners when you were 18 Pete ?