Tonga forecast verification

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg started the topic in Wednesday, 8 Jul 2015 at 5:32pm

Continuing on from the end of this thread... http://www.swellnet.com/forums/wax/296652

Friday a bit under.
Sunday was pretty much as forecast for surf size (like 1-2ft), but there was more nth, then sth, than E in the winds. Wasn't really any bigger going round to the WSW facing side either.
Mon built slowly and matched the 2-3ft forecast until about mid arvo, but it didn't continue to peak to 3-4ft as forecast. Winds good (trades).
Tue, early: Same as Mon arvo.
Wed (today): Even less swell nearshore, still decent offshore though.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 9 Jul 2015 at 6:46am

Thanks for the verification Mitch. What's the surf like when it's on the small side?

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Thursday, 9 Jul 2015 at 10:06pm

Ahhhhh hahaha these sorts of comments could put a target on my head haha. e.g. ohhh it was all time and uncrowded everyone should go! NOT. It's my first time surfing coral reef and it was only 2.5ft max; you know how small conditions can be harder to surf in a way, less face for example, well I ended up with scratches on my back and hips and shoulders. So I reckon the "only surfable 2hrs either side of high tide" rule is a good rule of thumb for beginner/intermediate surfers cos I didn't see any perfectly repeating spots peel into a pass.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Friday, 10 Jul 2015 at 11:02am

Good work MVG, least you had a go champ, good to hear.

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Saturday, 11 Jul 2015 at 10:56am

Cheers Welly. I could just blame it on the board and fins too, but I don't think I would really be being honest with myself would I.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 11 Jul 2015 at 3:52pm

haha MVG least you don't, you're too smart for that ;)
Can't blame ya tools.

I had a similar trip to Samoa in Jan this year, first day awesome left called....? 4ft and flawless on a little 5'10" wide tailed quad, fast as fuck but to loose of the btm and top, but hey got great waves. The next week was only 2-3ft but still had fun. Was trying to psyche the surf guide to going over the North side which was 4-5ft all week, but he wouldn't...? The day I left was 8 solid at a fickle heavy right that only breaks on big Nrth swells, probably a little out of my leauge by the looks of the photos and one wave of the day clip on Surfline which they called Nrth Fiji, anyways was great times great people, island style, loved it would go back for sure with timing certain swells apparently big east swells which are rare.
Yeewwww

mitchvg's picture
mitchvg's picture
mitchvg Sunday, 12 Jul 2015 at 11:46am

Funny you say that about Samoa... I heard from a Kiwi in Tonga, that Samoan's hustle you for cash after getting out of the water!?

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Tuesday, 15 Dec 2015 at 9:29pm

Opps sorry Mitch,
Yeah is true as most roads on the mainland which lead to beaches are owned by villages.

If you went and asked to surf on the beach or reef out front, before surfing I'm sure they would accept that without payment, but maybe they might ask you to be a partner for one of their "Fa'afafines"