Mark Rabbidge // Hand Made - video

Swellnet Dispatch

In this paean to individuality, Mark Rabbidge riffs on the links between, creativity, style, and custom artwork - both cars and surfboards. The stunning coastline that Rabbidge calls home provides the backdrop.

For those unaware of Rabbidge, he's been making boards for half a century, first at Brookvale on Sydney's Northern Beaches but for the last twenty five years he's been on the NSW South Coast. He's married to 1990 World Champ Pam Burridge, shaped boards for many 70s and 80s pros, including Tom Curren, who he shaped a 6'6" that Curren famously rode on his first trip to J'Bay. Like George Greenough, he likes to pull shit apart and found out how it works, then put it back together in bespoke ways. A technique he applies to everything from internal combustion engines to finless surfboads.

Check his Instagram account for more of his work.

Comments

50young's picture
50young's picture
50young commented Friday, 21 Apr 2017 at 8:40am

Great film the man is living the dream

bean's picture
bean's picture
bean commented Friday, 21 Apr 2017 at 8:43am

Brilliant!

boxright's picture
boxright's picture
boxright commented Friday, 21 Apr 2017 at 8:51am

Good to see Mark being mentioned in the same context as George Greenough. George may have left a larger mark on surf culture but they both share a similar unyielding philosophy to hand made craftsmanship.

zenagain commented Friday, 21 Apr 2017 at 9:50am

Very enjoyable. Should be more vids like these.

Well filmed and edited too. I was almost expecting a Patagonia logo to pop up at the end.

Watashi wa metabo oyagi desu.

old-school-thrash's picture
old-school-thrash's picture
old-school-thrash commented Friday, 21 Apr 2017 at 9:53am

Bloody Awesome Rabs, hope you don't mind, me calling you that. Great to see your ingenuity and stoke is full on still. love that surf jalopy. JUst bought a one off custom mal 9:1, sure I didn't make it, but its a one off and you have just given me another torch to watch burn now while I am in my early twilight years of surfing. great mate keep it real . cheers

DAW

Dave Drinkwater's picture
Dave Drinkwater's picture
Dave Drinkwater commented Friday, 21 Apr 2017 at 10:12am

Old blokes rule, Marks philosophy is spot on. Being authentic is a challenge as it goes against the grain of general society but when achieved its such a comfortable position to be in. Keep innovating Mark and I would like you to shape me a board one day...?

stunet commented Friday, 21 Apr 2017 at 10:19am

Mark's Insta account is a feast of ideas sculpted in foam and fibreglass. Check it out. Incidentally, Cory Russell also made mention of one of Mark's innovations in a recent Boarding School article. Mark's rail channels (see pic below) work on a similar principle to Greenough's edge board - there's that association again.

In Cory's words: "If applied correctly the rail channel theory has plenty of merit. The channel reduces the rail’s buoyancy and also provides a more direct path for the water to follow when the board is on rail."

Full article here.

rooftop's picture
rooftop's picture
rooftop commented Friday, 21 Apr 2017 at 11:55pm

"I used to go down the tip with a spanner. I'd come home riding a bike. "

DBEARINDARE's picture
DBEARINDARE's picture
DBEARINDARE commented Saturday, 22 Apr 2017 at 9:10am

Call me old, or outdated but don't tell me the simple life Mark leads and the whole package with home location, cars tinkered with and overall lifestyle, isn't what we all dream of.
From grey old farts like me to avocado smash eating hipsters.
Give me that before the dream chasing, slave to the dollar, face buried in an app life any day.

Go you!! Mark.

tonybarber's picture
tonybarber's picture
tonybarber commented Saturday, 22 Apr 2017 at 10:03am

Great stuff ... living the dream and showing how. That film was taken in a bloody great spot on the Aussie coast - its a gem.

goofyfoot commented Monday, 24 Apr 2017 at 6:42am