cant view reports .

bishmann's picture
bishmann started the topic in Friday, 1 Nov 2013 at 8:41am

Hi All
is anyone else having problems viewing the daily reports ? I havnt been able to see them for the last 2 days

cheers

bishmann

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Friday, 1 Nov 2013 at 8:50am

Hi Bishmann, it's all explained here. But you should still be able to review reports, they'll just take a while to load as the page tries to access the forecast service.

http://www.swellnet.com/forums/website-troubleshooting/28431

ShaneAbel's picture
ShaneAbel's picture
ShaneAbel Sunday, 3 Nov 2013 at 12:21pm

Go back to old website and don't pretend with 16 day forecasts even god can't do that

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 3 Nov 2013 at 12:26pm

Well, that's constructive. Thanks Shane.

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Sunday, 3 Nov 2013 at 1:27pm

Not too difficult to get good reliable long range forecasts for certain areas of the pacific and elsewhere. The swell patterns are often generated a good 7 days prior to their arrival at far off locations, and 7 day forecasts for the storm patterns can be reliable. So for certain locations two weeks (give or take a few days) is pretty reasonable. 16 day forecast for locations around australia I think will be a bit of a push but I'm sure Ben can comment more on this?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 3 Nov 2013 at 2:04pm

16 day forecasts are very useful for tropical locations who receive long range groundswells (ie Indo, Sth Pac).

In Australia, the 16 day forecasts are pretty good for tracking long range swell trends in WA/SA/Vic and southern/western Tas.

These long range forecasts are less reliable for most of the kinds of swells that the East Coast receives - however we used them recently to track a small long range trade swell that dished up 2-3ft surf in SE Qld and Northern NSW. 

Overall, it depends on the kind of weather system you're looking at. But even high res models can get it wrong at a day or two out.. nothing is perfect.

cgrover's picture
cgrover's picture
cgrover Monday, 4 Nov 2013 at 10:59am

Still can't view the forecast information - can get reports but as Ben has written it takes time. Any timeframe on the site working as it should?? PS It looks great and will be great when the bugs are eliminated.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 4 Nov 2013 at 11:36am

Almost there cgrover, will have an update ASAP.

carpetman's picture
carpetman's picture
carpetman Monday, 4 Nov 2013 at 12:00pm

Thanks Ben, Not sure if this is the correct thread to continue the conversation...

So for the places like Vic/SA/WA we'll have a good understanding of the underlying long range swell which is generally on the smaller side due to increased swell decay but will typically keep somewhere like Mornington 2-3ft for most days of the year. But should a more dominant localized swell pop up, the long range swell may in comparison be insignificant and not be felt?

Also, I know you can't give anything away but your WAMs give a really-really-really long forecast range. I thought the longest available WW3 was 180hrs? Do you get your data from other places or have you built your own to run for the extra 204hrs?

I assume, as discussed above, it's pretty good for tracking the long range swells but how reliable is it at forecasting a storm 2 weeks in advance?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 4 Nov 2013 at 12:07pm

Probably best to start a new forum thread on the 16 day forecasts CM - do you want to do that copying over your post above?