Forecast data problems

thermalben's picture
thermalben started the topic in Thursday, 31 Oct 2013 at 12:46am

Just a quick heads up - we're experiencing some problems with our forecasting service but hope to have it rectified ASAP. Thanks for everyone's patience.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 31 Oct 2013 at 12:48am

Also, surf reports and surfcams should be working fine, also WAMS, tides and weather - it's just the surf forecast data that isn't coming through.

maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley's picture
maddogmorley Thursday, 31 Oct 2013 at 8:59am

Everything seems to be running so slow this morning???

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 31 Oct 2013 at 10:11am

Yeah lots of gremlins this morning. Working really hard to get it all back up to speed.. sorry for the inconvenience.

yocal's picture
yocal's picture
yocal Thursday, 31 Oct 2013 at 10:42am

Heres a screenshot in case you need it

photo NoData_zpsc90ac1d7.jpg

lockyw1978's picture
lockyw1978's picture
lockyw1978 Friday, 1 Nov 2013 at 6:45pm

I still can't see 'em

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 1 Nov 2013 at 7:53pm

The model data forecasts are still experiencing issues. However in the meantime you can access a detailed written forecast from Craig here: http://www.swellnet.com/forums/swellnet-forecast-notes

hjpcivil's picture
hjpcivil's picture
hjpcivil Saturday, 2 Nov 2013 at 3:16pm

I am still experiencing problems with wave forecast & wind forecast. Is it still a problem. How do I fix it??
hjp

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 2 Nov 2013 at 3:40pm

Nothing you can do at your end hjpcivil, it's all at our end. We're working as hard as we can to get them back ASAP.

gavin007's picture
gavin007's picture
gavin007 Sunday, 3 Nov 2013 at 8:08am

Hi theramlben,

Since your new site has gone up, I (and lot's of other people by the looks of it) have had problems reading your surf reports. Still happening this morning (3/11). It looks as if the service that you use to retrieve the forecast data is the cause. Perhaps you pull this out as a separate link, so as not to interfere with the reliable components? The old surf reports gave everything I wanted to know - current surf, wind, tides and 5 day outlook - in a flash. I normally love using Swellnet, so I hope you can get around it. Cheers.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 3 Nov 2013 at 8:22am

It's not possible, unfortunately Gavin. What a lot of people don't realise is that our old system was manually generated. That is - Craig or I manually punched in the wave heights, swell directions, wind speeds, wind directions into a database which produced the graphs.

If we didn't update the forecast for a few days, the graphs would show no data. That was one of the biggest problems with the old system. As well as the fact that we could only update it three times per week (due to the huge amount of time required to update it).

The new website has removed those graphs, and replaced it with the new system, which updates it four times per day. Excluding the current technical problem - which we'll make sure never happens again - we are confident that this is the best way forward for the business.

Even if we did want to add in the old forecast graphs, we'd have to build it into the website, get a designer to shape the look n feel, get a front even developer to cut the code and then push the 'old' forecast into the 'new' website. That'd take a couple of weeks, and cost a lot of money.

Once we get through this current technical hurdle I'm sure that the benefits of the new system will be very apparent... hang in there!

toosha's picture
toosha's picture
toosha Monday, 4 Nov 2013 at 11:29am

Hi

Still can't get anything on surf reports or forecasts. Sux paid money for nothing so far! Please update!!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Monday, 4 Nov 2013 at 11:33am

hey toosha, weekends are obviously difficult to get things resolved but we're almost there apparently. I'll have an update on this, this afternoon. Thanks for your patience.

toosha's picture
toosha's picture
toosha Monday, 4 Nov 2013 at 12:43pm

Cheers buddy

bailey's picture
bailey's picture
bailey Monday, 4 Nov 2013 at 2:41pm

Super slow getting any forecast information for the last few days. Look forward to upgrading to the Swellnet Pro when problems are resolved.

Cheers

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Wednesday, 6 Nov 2013 at 6:31am

All up and working again now Toosha and Bailey.