cant view cams

tezzawood's picture
tezzawood started the topic in Tuesday, 22 Oct 2013 at 9:30pm

When i try to view cams, it says Could not load plugins:
File not found . Whats the go?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 23 Oct 2013 at 9:22am

We currently don't support phones, however we are due to launch iPhone and Android Apps shortly. Stay tuned for that.

chasingseagulls's picture
chasingseagulls's picture
chasingseagulls Thursday, 24 Oct 2013 at 11:25am

I have the same problem and I'm not on a phone. I'm using firefox on a regular computer.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 24 Oct 2013 at 11:27am

After speaking with our developer, they have passed on this information:

1. Sounds like a Flash Player issue.... there are some well documented Mac/Flash issues. The common solution I found is that Flash player should be upgraded. See: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3987917

2. The other solution is to disable hardware acceleration on the Flash player preferences. See here: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/891337

3. The other solution is to use Chrome because it includes its own version of Flash.

Can you please try Chrome and see if you're still having issues?

thismancan's picture
thismancan's picture
thismancan Thursday, 24 Oct 2013 at 1:06pm

I could view surfcams on my phone before the update to the Web sight now I'm getting ,error loading player:no playable sources,. I've tried everything with no success.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 24 Oct 2013 at 1:23pm

Unfortunately we don't support phones at this point in time, but will have two Apps (Android and iPhone) available soon that'll be tailored for smartphone usage.

I understand that you were able to see surfcam vision on your phone before, but that was just a bonus - the old website was also not built for mobile devices.

Sorry for the inconvenience - we're working to have this all sorted ASAP.

thismancan's picture
thismancan's picture
thismancan Friday, 25 Oct 2013 at 8:38am

Thankyou thermalben that would explain it

tezzawood's picture
tezzawood's picture
tezzawood Friday, 25 Oct 2013 at 9:23am

Yeah, downloaded google chrome and I can view it on that, still not mozilla but. Thanks for that, much appreciated

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 25 Oct 2013 at 10:07am

Unreal, that's great to hear.

bodmas's picture
bodmas's picture
bodmas Friday, 1 Nov 2013 at 10:36pm

Hi
Need the android app :-) the old site worked a treat on my old HTC v2.2 android, incl cams.
I can't see cams on phone now AND can't see em on nexus 7 v4.2 using chrome. !
Error is 'error loading player: No playable sources found'
No clue but missing cams. The single best thing that's happend to surf forecasting in 30 years
Cheers. Pls help. :-)

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 2 Nov 2013 at 5:47am

We're working on the weird cam error problems bodmas, hope to have a solution shortly. However they should all be solved with the App.

stephendedwards's picture
stephendedwards Tuesday, 5 Nov 2013 at 9:45am

Bring the app on. I've got the same issues with iPhone and iPad!

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 5 Nov 2013 at 9:50am

That's strange, surfcam streams work fine on iPhones and iPads here.

stephendedwards Tuesday, 5 Nov 2013 at 10:02am

My issue is with the Moffat Beach cam only I just figured out. Burleigh and Snapper work fine.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 5 Nov 2013 at 10:13am

Hmm, the Moffats cam is exactly the same as the Burleigh and Snapper cams (same hardware, same config, same streaming service). What error message are you getting? Can you email through a screen grab? ([email protected])

stephendedwards Tuesday, 5 Nov 2013 at 1:26pm

Email sent.

wellymon's picture
wellymon's picture
wellymon Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 11:40am

Thanks for the tech info using Chrome Ben.
Using Safari when viewing the surf cams, froze my lappy big time had to turn it off, a bit frustrating.
Chrome is spot on, will fuck Safari off now.
Cheers for the tech support.
:)

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Saturday, 9 Nov 2013 at 12:31pm

Glad Chrome solved the problem wellymon (and its a way better browser IMO, anyway).

However we are intent on fixing all issues with all browsers - seems to be a problem with Flash in general. Will hopefully have a solution shortly.

nagaapie's picture
nagaapie's picture
nagaapie Thursday, 14 Nov 2013 at 11:43am

Hope you sort this out soon.
I'm running chrome on OS X 10.9 and am getting the message "could not load plugins: file not found".
I tried Safari to see if I would get the same message but it seems to be working fine? Weird considering the comments above, however as chrome is my preferred browser it would be nice to have this working properly.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 14 Nov 2013 at 12:01pm

That is very strange nagaapie - Chrome's working fine for all of us here (I'm on OS X 10.8.5, the other guys are on 10.9). Normally Safari is the browser that causes problems with Flash. We'll keep trying to debug.

BTW, have you tried more than one surfcam? Which location are you trying to see?

gregmaina1's picture
gregmaina1's picture
gregmaina1 Monday, 18 Nov 2013 at 5:27am

Any sign of the phone Android issue being resolved?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 19 Nov 2013 at 10:12am
gregmaina1 wrote:

Any sign of the phone Android issue being resolved?

Developers are looking at it right now. What kind of phone do you have, and what Android version?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 19 Nov 2013 at 10:23am

BTW, if anyone else is having issues with surfcams - can you please post on this thread:

1) Operating System and version (ie Windows XP, Mac OSX 10.8.5)
2) Browser and version (ie Firefox 25.0, Internet Explorer 9.0, Chrome 31.0.1650.57)

That'll help us to debug the issue in more detail. Also, if anyone having surfcam problems is interested in helping us debug some of these issues issues, please let me know (either in the comments here, or via [email protected]) and we'll drop you an email.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 19 Nov 2013 at 1:14pm

Actually, maybe a survey is easier. All feedback is greatly appreciated!

pamloz's picture
pamloz's picture
pamloz Tuesday, 26 Nov 2013 at 3:22pm

I used to get swellnet on my samsung galaxy express till swellnet upgraded their site and now it wont work. When will it be up and away thks loz

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 26 Nov 2013 at 3:54pm

loz, we've never actually supported mobile devices but are working on a solution to your problem (as well as an App) as we speak. Hang in there!

bodmas's picture
bodmas's picture
bodmas Saturday, 30 Nov 2013 at 6:01pm

hi

any update in android version. still can't view cams even via chrome on android.

error.. "no playable sources....."

bodmas

thermalben wrote:

We currently don't support phones, however we are due to launch iPhone and Android Apps shortly. Stay tuned for that.

gregmaina1's picture
gregmaina1's picture
gregmaina1 Wednesday, 4 Dec 2013 at 5:40am

I'm having a problem with the Wollongong cam which has only just started. Duranbah and Snapper are fine as is Manly. Wollongong was fine up,until about a week ago. Am using an IPad. Any ideas?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 4 Dec 2013 at 6:45am
gregmaina1 wrote:

I'm having a problem with the Wollongong cam which has only just started. Duranbah and Snapper are fine as is Manly. Wollongong was fine up,until about a week ago. Am using an IPad. Any ideas?

Yeah we've got some intermittent problems with Wollongong that have been ongoing for some time - seems to be a wiring issue there. Have tried many things to rectify it but am not sure what's causing it. We're trying to avoid a (costly) rewire of the entire setup but it looks like that may be the only option to stop these infrequent outages.. sorry for the inconvenience.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 4 Dec 2013 at 6:48am
bodmas wrote:

hi any update in android version. still can't view cams even via chrome on android. error.. "no playable sources....." bodmas

Sorry for the delayed reply in getting back to you BM. We've finally found out what the (probable) issue is with Android devices. See this article from:

http://www.jwplayer.com/blog/the-pain-of-live-streaming-on-android/

What's annoying is that we had the same JW Player prior to the new site, but simply upgraded to their latest version - which then triggered some of these surfcam problems. We've got a couple of options here that we'll try to implement in the next day or so.

Snakey70's picture
Snakey70's picture
Snakey70 Sunday, 22 Dec 2013 at 3:17pm

Hi Guys,

Love your site but it seems I constantly have problems viewing the Scarborough surfcam. I set up google chrome on my Windows 7 desktop to view them given the tips on this thread and generally all the cams work except Scarborough.

It drives me nuts getting up wanting to go for a surf and not being able to see the cam to know if its worth it or not. It hasn't worked on my desktop (or my wifes or my work pc) since Wednesday last week.

Is there anything I can do to fix it?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Sunday, 22 Dec 2013 at 4:03pm

Nah the Scarb surfcam problem is on our end (its the last of our national surfcams to be upgraded to the new system, hence why it's a little flakey).

We've got a brand new surfcam hardware - and also a brand new Scarb surfcam location - ready to install ASAP. We're just trying to find some time in our electrician's diary to slot it all in. Hopefully next week sometime.

Snakey70's picture
Snakey70's picture
Snakey70 Sunday, 22 Dec 2013 at 11:48pm

Ahh righto, thanks for the heads up. cant wait for the new one to get up and running :)

Oil Runner's picture
Oil Runner's picture
Oil Runner Thursday, 2 Jan 2014 at 7:08pm

Margaret River surf cam has been offline for over 3 weeks, Yallingup cam works fine, whats up with the Margs cam?

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 3 Jan 2014 at 6:07am

Been trying to figure the problem at Margs out for a few weeks.. initially we thought there was a tech issue with the surfcam, so after a few days of trying various rebooting and firmware update scenarios (we were getting a signal from the cam, but no vision) we arranged for a replacement cam - at significant expense - to be sent down to our local electrician.

He then set about swapping over the surfcam - only to find that the new one didn't work either. So, after more lengthy investigation, we have deduced that the Cat 5 cable running to the surfcam is damaged.. may have been eaten by rats. So now we have to rewire the entire bloody surfcam setup.

Unfortunately all of this happened just a day before the Xmas period and our electrician has been unavailable since. It's on the short list to do ASAP though. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Snakey70's picture
Snakey70's picture
Snakey70 Tuesday, 14 Jan 2014 at 7:59pm

Jeez its one thing after another here in WA isn't it?
Is there an ETA for the Scarborough surfcam to be up and running yet? Busy time of the year I guess with holidays and such, I just got back from 10 nights in Coolangatta.......I have dreams about a surf beach that awesome here in Perth :)

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Tuesday, 14 Jan 2014 at 8:02pm

Yeah we've had an unfortunate run of bad luck with our WA cam network over the last few months. We've actually had brand new surfcam hardware for Scarbs sitting in WA waiting to be installed for the last five months, which is a little frustrating (lots of things outside of our control). But the Scarbs surfcam upgrade - at a brand new location - will happen in the next week or two.