Scarborough webcam

v6's picture
v6 started the topic in Thursday, 17 Apr 2014 at 4:11pm

Hi Guys

What is up with the Scarborough webcam it is terrible it is pulsing in and out of focus, plus now it is static it was great when it panned around, we have waited a fair while for the new camera to be put into operation and personally it has turned out to be a real disappointment, i take it your sponsors are aware that there are problems with the pages they are advertizing on ? come on guys get it fixed.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Thursday, 17 Apr 2014 at 4:35pm

V6, you obviously didn't see this thread: https://www.swellnet.com/forums/website-troubleshooting/106411

thermalben wrote:

There’s a reason the surfcam is focused on Trigg. Despite the camera being brand new, we have observed some major hardware problems that affect the camera’s panning function (we have been granted a replacement camera, but now have to - again - book in an electrician to swap it over.. anyone ever tried to find a sparky at short notice around Easter time?).

In the interim, we’ve locked off the camera to Trigg (the most popular view, judging by the overwhelming positive feedback we've received) until it’s fixed.

As for the camera "pulsing in and out of focus" - that's another issue with the camera hardware (which incidentally is the exact same camera as all of our other locations).

We've taken up the issue with the manufacturer, but they don't have a solution.

So, why should I do?

BTW, sponsors don't advertise on specific surfcam pages.

v6's picture
v6's picture
v6 Friday, 18 Apr 2014 at 3:19am

Thanks for the link to the other thread

Quote, BTW, sponsors don't advertise on specific surfcam pages.

They don't, then why do i get an advert before the video feed starts.

Perhaps you should have installed a camera at Trigg if it as popular as you say it is personally i wouldn't agree with that but trig already has a Webcam so i guess it would be counterproductive, might be worth contacting them and find out who supplies there equipment as it appears to be much more reliable, and you never know they may be able to point you in the right direction regarding a Spatky.
For anyone interested the link to the Trigg webcam is

http://schoolofsurfingwa.com/contact-us/

Obviously this is only to tide people over till you get your gear sorted

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Friday, 18 Apr 2014 at 7:48am
v6 wrote:

They don't, then why do i get an advert before the video feed starts.

Advertisers buy across the entire surfcam network, rather than individual surfcams. Think of it as a 'bulk buy' scenario. However, just because the cam occasionally loses focus and doesn't pan all the time, doesn't mean that the camera isn't good value and therefore isn't worth advertising with.

v6 wrote:

Perhaps you should have installed a camera at Trigg if it as popular as you say it is personally i wouldn't agree with that but trig already has a Webcam so i guess it would be counterproductive

We've already got plans to install a Trigg surfcam in the near future (I've been trying to get one sorted for a very long time, but finding a building to mount it to has been an issue - infrastructure is surprisingly bare in that neck of the woods).

v6's picture
v6's picture
v6 Wednesday, 21 May 2014 at 6:29pm

Hi Guys

Still no joy with the Scarborough webcam its still pulsing, surly someone can sort it, its under warranty get the company to replace it as it is obviously not right.

thermalben's picture
thermalben's picture
thermalben Wednesday, 21 May 2014 at 6:36pm

Unfortunately, that's not the hard part. The hard part is buying another expensive new camera to swap over with the existing camera while the existing camera is removed by an electrician, freighted interstate (or overseas) to the company who tests faulty cameras, so that it can be assessed (there's no guarantee that the manufacturer will agree that there is a fault either). 

On top of that, coordinating electricians/building managers/suppliers to get the job done can sometimes be a little bit like herding cats (getting access to this particular building where the camera is located requires a site induction, full harness rigs, etc etc... it's in a tricky spot).

And to cap it off, we've been down staff for the last few weeks so time has been extremely limited to attent to this.

However, things are back on track next week and it's my priority to sort it out then. Thanks for your patience.