Water temperatures

brianp's picture
brianp started the topic in Monday, 13 Dec 2010 at 10:03pm

Hey guys, is there anywhere on your site where you give the daily water temperatures? It would be great if you did, I always have to reference the manly hydraulics lab before I pick the wetsuit I'm going to take with me.

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 13 Dec 2010 at 10:24pm

No there isn't unfortunately Brianp.

FYI the water temps in Sydney have warmed back up with the last 2 days of southerly winds moving the warm water that was pushed out to sea by last weeks NE winds back in close to shore. So boardies are good now.

The problem with the Manly Hydraulic temperatures is that that buoy is about 10km's offshore so there is a small buffer between when inshore temperatures drop from upwelling, and when the buoy registers it.

But generally if the winds have been strong from the NE for a few days then expect to get the rubber back out, but this should subside a few days after the NE winds stop, with a fresh S'th wind bringing temperatures back up quicker.

brianp's picture
brianp's picture
brianp Monday, 13 Dec 2010 at 10:27pm

Aw that sucks, any plans on including a daily water temperature reading? I did notice how NE winds affect the water temp though, I have to say it gets real frustrating putting on the steamer when it's 25+ degrees outside!

Craig's picture
Craig's picture
Craig Monday, 13 Dec 2010 at 10:37pm

Not as this stage, but maybe in the future.

Here's an article on why the temperatures drop with a NE wind around Sydney if you're interested.. Upwelling

brianp's picture
brianp's picture
brianp Tuesday, 14 Dec 2010 at 4:07am

Cool post, thanks a lot!