Job and business opportunities galore coming your way

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 started the topic in Monday, 5 Apr 2010 at 7:50am

This is to sound you out on an idea that may be beneficial to the economy of the surf community.
Australia is very progressive at the moment with a all world champs, Fanning, Gilmour and Harley
So as the Aussie dollar is so strong at the moment there is a consortium looking at setting up a mature surfers tour system
We envisage using deep water harbours for our cruise ships ( more like ferries some the right hand drive hummers with roof racks.
that can drive to the best surf nearby, we will employ local guides and ex rugby league players as security. ( So of them surf, sort of)
We also plan to work with a local store and surf shop in each selected village like Byron to put foreign dollars back into the community.
The deep harbours that can accommodate the sort of ships we envisage are Newcastle , Broken Bay , Eden, Bateman's Bay, Pt Kembla, Moreton Bay, Hervey Bay, offshore Byron, Western port and Port Phillip Bay and Shark Bay in WA also over there the ports that housed the America's Cup challenge.
If all goes well we would probably back a team of ex pros to coach and direct our tourists to the best breaks.
So here is a similar proposal that worked in Mexico

we are in no affiliated with this but if the climate is suitable we would offer something similar but with a Aussie flavour.
Let's hear your thoughts on this as we begin the next stage of our planning.

spongebob's picture
spongebob's picture
spongebob Monday, 5 Apr 2010 at 7:57am

No more sherry for you jaffa!

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Monday, 5 Apr 2010 at 7:58am

It's really happening check the link!

spongebob's picture
spongebob's picture
spongebob Monday, 5 Apr 2010 at 8:48am

I thought you were kidding!Cant find it on the link you gave. Whats the title of the clip?

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Monday, 5 Apr 2010 at 9:22am

try that, just checked it still works!

spongebob's picture
spongebob's picture
spongebob Monday, 5 Apr 2010 at 10:17am

Cant get it to work.All I get is video you have requested is unavailable.Found one called Longboard cruise 2006,is that it?

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Monday, 5 Apr 2010 at 10:42am

yep this one is it. What do you think?

spongebob's picture
spongebob's picture
spongebob Monday, 5 Apr 2010 at 12:52pm

I think we are safe here from it at the moment.When you look at the American market you have around 200 million people, here we around 20 million.Most of their business is likely on the continent or to Hawaii.Its not likely many rich yanks will want to travel in that fashion all the way out here.Theres just to many other exotic locations closer to home for cruise style destinations.That leaves the Australian domestic market which would be just to small to be viable on anything but a small scale.But I could be wrong.If it comes & big bucks are involved you can bet that a minority group like local surfers wont be able to stop it happening. Like the Oils sang, Who can stand in the way when theres a dollar to be made?

s-t-u's picture
s-t-u's picture
s-t-u Tuesday, 6 Apr 2010 at 7:40pm

Hi all, newbie here, South Carolina born and bred.
Just want to give a shout out to jaffa1949 here for a boss idea.
I'm sure I'd probably sign up for this one. We’d probably need wetsuits as well. Every coast around the world should have this sort of thing set up. Its such a good way to give back to the community.

thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber Wednesday, 7 Apr 2010 at 12:02am

are you sure you're not taking the piss?
might I suggest a smaller boat. Also if you want to attract overseas tourists, its better if the aussie dollar is weak. that way you still get aussie money but its cheaper for them.
Why do you need security? its not like Australia is in the middle of a major crime wave like Mexico.
lastly please dont bring a shi(t)p load of tourists on longboards to my local break.

spongebob's picture
spongebob's picture
spongebob Wednesday, 7 Apr 2010 at 1:23am

Dont worry climber they will compensate you with a Macca's were the local fish & chip used to be.

s-t-u's picture
s-t-u's picture
s-t-u Wednesday, 7 Apr 2010 at 1:28am

Why is it so wrong to be a tourist on a longboard? every one seems to have a problem with people like me.

spongebob's picture
spongebob's picture
spongebob Wednesday, 7 Apr 2010 at 1:38am

There's nothing at all wrong with being a tourist with any type of craft,your welcome in our town any time. But a large group of surfers descending on any break is going to cause some resentment.

s-t-u's picture
s-t-u's picture
s-t-u Wednesday, 7 Apr 2010 at 2:19am

What if my friends or "tourists" buy all the locals a Big Mac each? will that stop the resentment or was that post you said about Macca's just a joke? Sorry hope I don't sound dumb, just not use to the Australian sense of humour yet.

stoner's picture
stoner's picture
stoner Wednesday, 7 Apr 2010 at 2:29am

good luck tryin to get a wave in Shark Bay

s-t-u's picture
s-t-u's picture
s-t-u Wednesday, 7 Apr 2010 at 2:35am

Thank you stoner, I'll need it.

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Wednesday, 7 Apr 2010 at 6:33am

The boats aren't going to support surfing in Shark Bay , three reasons , no surf there, too environmentally important, Tourists can dive though! and all the ports are where the ship (smaller than the American monster ) can dock safely! So don't worry S-t-u there sharks will be local sharks not the shark bay type.
From the American experience surfers will be allocated to various breaks according to their ability as assessed by the locally hire surf coaches and bused or boated to the breaks.
Watch for job advertisements in your local paper and on the net, coaches, lifeguards, jet ski patrol, SUP masters, masseurs, bus drivers, chefs, photographer and videographers, the whole shooting match, as there will be few foreign working visas allocated.

thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber's picture
thelostclimber Wednesday, 7 Apr 2010 at 12:11pm

s-t-u
take a chill pill mate. No ones having a go at you. I hate maccas, but you can get me a pie from the local bakery that'd be tops.
Jaffa -
Seems like its a serious venture, good luck. I have worked in tourism, it can be fun.
Let us know on this site when you are advertising.

s-t-u's picture
s-t-u's picture
s-t-u Wednesday, 7 Apr 2010 at 7:52pm

Sorry thelostclimber. So tell me is it true that New Zealand is the capital of Australia? My mate told me it is but I think he's just trying to make me look stupid.

Jaffa, if I was to come on one of your trips would I have to bring a wet suit?

spongebob's picture
spongebob's picture
spongebob Wednesday, 7 Apr 2010 at 11:35pm

Hi stu,yes it was a bit of a joke.In some small towns the fish & chip shop can be a local icon.So the thought of it being replaced with a Macca's would make a local cry.And yes in ancient times New Zealand was the capital,but a disagreement over sheep farming practices saw it towed a safe distance east & the capital moved to Tasmania.Wellcome to Australia!

s-t-u's picture
s-t-u's picture
s-t-u Thursday, 8 Apr 2010 at 12:04am

Thanks spongbob, I checked out a map found NZ is not really near you at all, I see what you mean about their sheep practices, mounting sheep is pretty gross but if that's how they do things down there I guess it's not up to us to judge.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun Thursday, 8 Apr 2010 at 12:41am

This thread is like an episode of Sienfeld

s-t-u's picture
s-t-u's picture
s-t-u Thursday, 8 Apr 2010 at 1:08am

Yes, it's gone a bit off subject. Jaffa, I'd be real keen for a job as a bus driver, do you think you could sort that out for me? And I'd like to bring my 15 ft Roy Stuart board with me, would it be possible to take that to?

seethesea's picture
seethesea's picture
seethesea Thursday, 8 Apr 2010 at 1:33am

These pretzels are making me thirsty.......

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Thursday, 8 Apr 2010 at 5:24am

This thread is like an episode of Sienfeld

By: "shaun"

Yeah but imagine a boat load of them FFS Seinfeld is over here promoting a bank doesn't that raise some points of validity as to how far American interests will go for their ageing surf population.
Just figure how cashed up they actually are!

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Thursday, 8 Apr 2010 at 5:32am

Yes, it's gone a bit off subject. Jaffa, I'd be real keen for a job as a bus driver, do you think you could sort that out for me? And I'd like to bring my 15 ft Roy Stuart board with me, would it be possible to take that to?

By: "s-t-u"

Roy's boards are a bit of a problem as quarantine will not let them through as they may contain the rare longhorn total boring beetle
(pronuncium edictus edicarrii) known to inhabit long slabs of timber that could devastate the Australian forests.
Poly or Epoxy if he can make you one by all means

brendo's picture
brendo's picture
brendo Thursday, 8 Apr 2010 at 5:48am

That looks like the most stuffing around just to go surfing a crappy 2ft beach break on a longboard.

jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949's picture
jaffa1949 Thursday, 8 Apr 2010 at 6:22am

APRES SURF activity for the rich and non famous, check out this band list, why they might even take on Beau

s-t-u's picture
s-t-u's picture
s-t-u Thursday, 8 Apr 2010 at 8:43pm

Thanks jaffa I'll see if he can sort one out.

toastin's picture
toastin's picture
toastin Saturday, 10 Apr 2010 at 10:46am

At last. It is about time we had this round our ways. 9 years in Indo too much Troppo madness. I need something more civilised. Good work mister 1949.

Toastin the good times