Backdoor Surf Mag

wazza's picture
wazza started the topic in Saturday, 13 Mar 2010 at 6:50am

Recently cleaning up around the house & tucked right up the back of the shelf was this mag called "Backdoor". This particular issue was from May 1977, the cover story was Simon Anderson - Australias Latest Sporting Giant. After flicking through I've found that it was a Torquay based mag but was wondering if anyone out there could shed some info on Backdoors history?

blindboy's picture
blindboy's picture
blindboy commented Saturday, 13 Mar 2010 at 7:54am

wazza, Backdoor was owned by Rip Curl. I think Claw just had the shits with the surf media being so Sydney centric, not to mention Tracks escalating advertising rates. It was always run on a shoe string, no-one got paid much or on time so it died a lonely unlamented death. If it was notable for anything it might be that one of its early contributors, maybe even its editor, was Michael Gordon who went on to a pretty outstanding career in straight journalism with The Age. I'm guessing that it was totally defunct by early 78.

shaun's picture
shaun's picture
shaun commented Saturday, 13 Mar 2010 at 10:51am

I've got a copy of the first issue, it doesn't even have a date on it. I think it was about 75, I'm surprised it made it past the second issue

I'm the scab you keep picking off and is there again the next day.

wazza's picture
wazza's picture
wazza commented Sunday, 21 Mar 2010 at 4:48am

Thanks for the replies blindboy & shaun.